Bears TE Martellus Bennett suspended (video)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know if he should be suspended, but he certainly didn't have to act like a bitch.
Fuller was only trying to strip the ball, but got some arm with it too.
At least that's what it looked like to me.

uISdpEm.jpg

Athos

Legend
The man child slammed Fuller onto his head/neck/shoulder region.

That's how you kill and paralyze people if you hit them just right with enough force.

How long is he suspended anyway? He just needs to be made an example of what you don't do. Wrestling moves have no place in football. Run him until he pukes.

I'll never forget that prick Saban not doing much of anything when one of his dick lineman suplexed one of MU's RBs? I think by picked up up horizontal above his head and slamming him into the turf.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Frankly, this doesn't bother me much. I bet you it was a thud practice and Fuller threw Bennett to the ground. These guys are football players and they're going to be playing with a lot of emotion when on the field. Bennett isn't going to think logically about it, he's just going to toss Fuller to the ground.

I'm sure if Joyner did that to Britt or Quick and Quick or Britt slung Joyner to the ground afterwards, we'd feel a bit different about it. It's football. Fuller isn't injured. As far as I'm concerned, no harm no foul.(but you do have punish Bennett to set an example)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Frankly, this doesn't bother me much. I bet you it was a thud practice and Fuller threw Bennett to the ground. These guys are football players and they're going to be playing with a lot of emotion when on the field. Bennett isn't going to think logically about it, he's just going to toss Fuller to the ground.

I'm sure if Joyner did that to Britt or Quick and Quick or Britt slung Joyner to the ground afterwards, we'd feel a bit different about it. It's football. Fuller isn't injured. As far as I'm concerned, no harm no foul.(but you do have punish Bennett to set an example)
You have no problem with somebody slamming somebody down to the ground, an act that has and will kill people to this day? There's a reason real and fake wrestling are done on cushions and mats, they're trying to cushion the impact as much as they can, because things like that have a propensity to hurt people more than just haha that'll teach you to fuck with me and ends up more like, "I just wanted to teach you a lesson, not snap your neck." Especially when you drop a guy flush on his head like Bennett did.

I know emotions are high, but that's no excuse to start endangering people. There's a reason the NFL fined Rolando McClain when he did his best Hulkamania on Amendola and no, I doubt that people would be fine with it if Joyner did that to Britt or Quick or if Britt or Quick dropped Joyner on his head like some rag doll. If anything I'd be angrier at them risking injuring one of our players because he got knocked on his ass, getting knocked on your ass is a fact of life in football. I know it's not fun, but getting up and body slamming somebody? Huge overreaction and Bennett is getting everything he deserves.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I think the key is he's unrepentant, said he went off on another teammate about it for 15 minutes, I think if he cooled down and hadn't done that,then again coulda been a pattern but as an isolated incident I cant see suspension either

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have no problem with somebody slamming somebody down to the ground, an act that has and will kill people to this day? There's a reason real and fake wrestling are done on cushions and mats, they're trying to cushion the impact as much as they can, because things like that have a propensity to hurt people more than just haha that'll teach you to freak with me and ends up more like, "I just wanted to teach you a lesson, not snap your neck." Especially when you drop a guy flush on his head like Bennett did.

I know emotions are high, but that's no excuse to start endangering people. There's a reason the NFL fined Rolando McClain when he did his best Hulkamania on Amendola and no, I doubt that people would be fine with it if Joyner did that to Britt or Quick or if Britt or Quick dropped Joyner on his head like some rag doll. If anything I'd be angrier at them risking injuring one of our players because he got knocked on his ass, getting knocked on your ass is a fact of life in football. I know it's not fun, but getting up and body slamming somebody? Huge overreaction and Bennett is getting everything he deserves.

Well, this is football. Getting slammed to the ground is standard operating procedure. Fuller is fine. No harm no foul.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think the key is he's unrepentant, said he went off on another teammate about it for 15 minutes, I think if he cooled down and hadn't done that,then again coulda been a pattern but as an isolated incident I cant see suspension either
Well he wasn't suspended by the NFL, he was suspended by the team. So it's not like it was some sort of external intervention, which I would agree would be uncalled for.

But like you said, he risked injuring one of his own teammates and then was completely unrepentant about it afterward despite having time to realize what he did was a huge overreaction, so that probably what caught the team's ire and made them decide he needs a little extended time to sit down and really think about it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, this is football. Getting slammed to the ground is standard operating procedure. Fuller is fine. No harm no foul.

Tackling is "standard operating procedure."

Not acting like a tough guy and whipping a defenseless player to the ground AFTER the freakin play.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Being tackled is, being body slammed on your head is not. That's the biggest difference, one hurts, the other kills. There's no arguing why this was uncalled for and why he's suspended. You don't risk injuring or killing your teammate just because you were having a fit, period.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Good move by the Bears. If he had been a hothead like that in the game he might have been ejected and then suspended/fined by the league. At the minimum it's a 15 yard penalty on a boneheaded move. Coach is taking a stand and SHOWING him it's not ok.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Hell, Bennette did a nice job securing the ball. Good play by both players. A suspension is very unnecessary. Break it up and move on, it's football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being tackled is, being body slammed on your head is not. That's the biggest difference, one hurts, the other kills. There's no arguing why this was uncalled for and why he's suspended. You don't risk injuring or killing your teammate just because you were having a fit, period.

No, both hurt and both can kill. Bennett didn't kill him so that's that. The whole killing angle is exaggerating to the nth degree.

When rookies do stupid things, they get put in their place. Our own vets have reacted not so nicely after they felt they were thudded too hard. I bet you if Joyner or another rookie slung a vet to the ground, the vet would come after him. It's football. It happens.

I'm not arguing against him being punished. Just the overreactions to it all.

Tackling is "standard operating procedure."

Not acting like a tough guy and whipping a defenseless player to the ground AFTER the freakin play.

And yet we don't have issues when players shove and fight. Hell, a lot of players like it. It's an emotional game. Fuller is a rookie and what he did was a no-no. What Bennett did was also a no-no. It'll happen when you have rookies trying to make their mark and veterans playing with an attitude and looking to put them in their place. It's competition.

Football isn't for the faint of heart. Yea, what Bennett did was dangerous. But it wasn't really any different than taking a swing at a guy during practice or fighting. It happens. Nobody was hurt so no harm no foul.

This is a violent game. They punished him because he should have been punished to set an example. At the same time, I'm not going to get all angry or act like this is something completely unexpected.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No, both hurt and both can kill. Bennett didn't kill him so that's that. The whole killing angle is exaggerating to the nth degree.

When rookies do stupid things, they get put in their place. Our own vets have reacted not so nicely after they felt they were thudded too hard. I bet you if Joyner or another rookie slung a vet to the ground, the vet would come after him. It's football. It happens.

I'm not arguing against him being punished. Just the overreactions to it all.

Our vets kept it to punches and shoves, which I have no problem with, they also immediately regretted those actions and they were all cool about it. Bennett body slammed somebody and was immediately unrepentant about it. That's the problem, that he had zero remorse over the fact that he could have very well been lording over Fueller's dead body because of that.

Like you told me about Greg Little, we shouldn't defend the childish acts of grown men who SHOULD know better. Even little Timmy down the street knows not to bodyslam people like he sees in the WWE, so should Bennett. Nobody's trying to be all righteous anger, saying he deserves to die or be cut or stripped of his right to play football. They're saying he deserves to be punished and that he acted like a child, which he did. I don't see where you're seeing any overreactions.

It was a stupid, childish, dangerous thing to do and people have a right to say that. Other than that I can't see what you'd call overreactions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our vets kept it to punches and shoves, which I have no problem with, they also immediately regretted those actions and they were all cool about it. Bennett body slammed somebody and was immediately unrepentant about it. That's the problem, that he had zero remorse over the fact that he could have very well been lording over Fueller's dead body because of that.

You have no problems with punches and shoves? You can kill someone with a punch. You can injure someone with a punch. That's hypocritical.

I do agree with you that his actions after the fact are an issue. And that's why I support Trestman kicking him off the field and suspending him.

Fuller's dead body? C'mon.

Like you told me about Greg Little, we shouldn't defend the childish acts of grown men who SHOULD know better. Even little Timmy down the street knows not to bodyslam people like he sees in the WWE, so should Bennett. Nobody's trying to be all righteous anger, saying he deserves to die or be cut or stripped of his right to play football. They're saying he deserves to be punished and that he acted like a child, which he did. I don't see where you're seeing any overreactions.

It was a stupid, childish, dangerous thing to do and people have a right to say that. Other than that I can't see what you'd call overreactions.

The overreactions to me are the outrage, condemnation, and the people claiming that he could have killed Fuller. Yea, that's possible. A punch could also kill someone. I don't see you guys claiming that the a player could have died every time someone throws a punch at training camp. A tackle can kill someone. I don't see people claiming that a player could have died every time he's tackled. Hell, driving your car can kill someone...do you claim you could have died every time you enter your car?

It's just a gross exaggeration.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I've thrown a punch in a high school game. Shit happens in a nanosecond. I assure you this wasn't a well thought out plan.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

+1
Also, Bennett is a 7 year vet. Fuller is a rookie. I think that matters here. Hierarchy. If i'm a veteran player and(in the heat of the moment) i feel like some rookie took liberty on me physically...i'm gonna retaliate in some fashion.
Bennett overreacted but a suspension sends the wrong team message IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've thrown a punch in a high school game. crap happens in a nanosecond. I assure you this wasn't a well thought out plan.
I threw a punch on the line as a grill cook for a breakfast restaurant as a young 21 yr old strunt. Not a good idea to fight around giant 1,200 degree slabs of metal on slippery footing. Luckily no one was hurt except the pancakes. :)