Barksdale vs Wisniewski vs Blalock?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If you could choose two of these players for the Rams to sign which two would you select? I doubt they will get two of them but now that the Rams have signed Tim Barnes to a pretty reasonable salary they might just be able to afford two of them. I am guessing Barksdale will be one of them but I have hard time choosing between Winsiewski and Blalock. On the one hand Wisniewski is younger and probably better at this point but he will also probably be more expensive and is apparently dealing with some kind of injury/health issue.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Blalock and Barksdale because I want to eventually put two young cheap drafted players into that interior. Blalock can be a stopgap that allows that player to develop, and he's much cheaper than Wiz in the short term, and Barksdale can be a solid anchor on the outside.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All things being equal I'd take Wiz. He's got the most upside. But the cost might be too much.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you could choose two of these players for the Rams to sign which two would you select? I doubt they will get two of them but now that the Rams have signed Tim Barnes to a pretty reasonable salary they might just be able to afford two of them. I am guessing Barksdale will be one of them but I have hard time choosing between Winsiewski and Blalock. On the one hand Wisniewski is younger and probably better at this point but he will also probably be more expensive and is apparently dealing with some kind of injury/health issue.

If you are giving me an option of which two I want thats a very simple no brainer here. In a New York Minute I would sign both Justin Blalock & Stefon Wisniewski to be our starting OG's in 2015. Neither would be long term signings

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wiz and Blalock.

We know what Barksdale is... and that isn't anything special IMO.

Someone said in the Barnes thread... the definition of insanity thing.

I'm going with that for now... ;)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If the reports on Wiz are accurate and he is only seeking 4M, he would be my target then Barksdale on a 1 year prove it deal to reestablish his worth and create a bridge for a new RT if needed. We could probably come out of this for less than 7M for 2015 which still leaves some money available for depth. Draft a G or two and we are in business.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
None. I trade for Mathis and settle the LG issue for the next two years while concentrating my draft efforts at Center and RT.
jmo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barksdale first. While he's the weakest of the three, it is hardest to find an OT ready to start in the draft imo.

Probably Wis next - I think the Rams could cobble together a LG until whichever rookie they draft (and I'd want them to get several) was ready to start.

The Rams might think that Barnes is an okay C option, in which case get Blalock instead of Wis. But I just don't see any good options on the team for RT, so Barksdale is #1.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I would go Barks and Wiz strictly for the youth factor, We've seen too many times, getting uber hyped for a vet just for them to crap the bed. I want to avoid any chance of that happening. Even if Blalock has played well. He would be my third choice.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Blalock first then Barksdale...Rams are set at Center until the draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Barksdale and Blalock easily.

Wisniewski wouldn't even be a consideration at his asking price. And I question his fit ANYWHERE but center on a team with a power run scheme.

Now, if the Rams were switching to a zone rushing attack, then I'd consider Wisniewski over Blalock and play him at OG.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Barksdale and Blalock would fill the biggest needs on the entire roster and at this point in free agency, it is more about filling needs than talent upgrades.

With Barnes returning and with Jones and Rhaney offering the most promise from the group of the untested backups, center is not a major need (IMO). Wiz has had the recent shoulder surgery as well and I think his current asking price is too high.

The Rams currently have 9 linemen under contract, they are thinnest/weakest at the tackle spot IMO so Barksdale being a known quantity fills the team's biggest need. I think Blalock actually offers the best value as a short term upgrade plus he fills the team's second biggest need.

Primary Tackles: Robinson, Reynolds, & Baker
Others that have played tackle in regular NFL games (not preseason) - Saffold & Bond
Others that could project to tackle - Jones & Washington

Primary Guards - Saffold, Washington, & Bond
Others that have played guard in regular NFL games (not preseason) - Reynolds & Barnes
Others that could project to guard - Jones & Rhaney
Although Robinson has played Guard he is exclude because he is THE left tackle

Primary Centers - Barnes, Jones, & Rhaney

If the Rams feel Barksdale and/or Blalock will probably remain unsigned through the draft then it could be better to actually wait until after the draft to sign either one of them (if needed) depending on how things shake out.
Although Jim Thomas has indicated in his chats that the possibility of bringing back Jake Long is dead, I think he might also still be an option as well when late June rolls around (depending on need of course).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you are giving me an option of which two I want thats a very simple no brainer here. In a New York Minute I would sign both Justin Blalock & Stefon Wisniewski to be our starting OG's in 2015. Neither would be long term signings
If these two are our STARTING OG's, what happens to Saffold, you wouldn't push him out to RT, would you?
I'm pretty sure you would Draft a OT if you got these two in FA!

thehammer

Rookie
there is a reason Wis has had a worked out with Seattle while Blalock and Barksdale are sitting at home like the Maytag repairmen...

no brainer, talent matters Wisniewski.....you can get players like Blalock and Barksdale in the 4th rd

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams could guarantee getting a good Center in the draft, then I'd say Barksdale and Blalock are my choices. Wisneiwski wants more than he is worth. Oakland didn't wan to pay it, Neither did Tampa Bay or Seattle. Wis is not much different talent wise than either of those guys.

If not for his age, I would say Blalock trumps the other too.

If the Rams get one of them then they need two starters in the draft. If they sign two they need one starter in the draft. If they don't sign Wis they need a Center. That may be the tougher position to fill, along with ORT. So by that reasoning Barksdale and Wiz would be best to sign. Getting a good guard is easiest in the draft.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Give me Barksdale and Blalock. I think we have 3 guys who can compete for the starting Center position that would be an upgrade over Scott Wells. Then draft depth in draft. Maybe a guy like Tre Jackson in the 4th round to be the teams primary backup at Guard if Blalock and/or Saffold goes down....Which we all know will happen at some point.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Winsiewski.
The Rams should have signed Orlando Franklin and Stefen Winsiewski. That would have been a huge help to the OL. They dumped Bradford, Wells, and Long and freed up $23 Mil in cap space and the Rams got crap to show for it on the OL, their biggest need. There was no need to sign Kendricks when they have Cook, Harkey, and Bayer.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If these two are our STARTING OG's, what happens to Saffold, you wouldn't push him out to RT, would you?
I'm pretty sure you would Draft a OT if you got these two in FA!

Yes I am. Saffold put Barksdale back on the bench in 2013 after Saffold was back to full health. Yes I am for getting improvement at all OL posts and signing & settling for Barksdale simply add no improvement! Yes I would draft a OT to be the starter in 2016.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wiz & B-Lock. If I'm going to be forced to take Oline at #10 it's going to be a Tackle. A Tackle to play Tackle not Guard.