Barksdale Negotiations have Begun

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll ask again, but where has it been said that the Rams are negotiating with Barksdale?? I dont see that written any where
Your Right nothing here to see on any new negotiations here with Barksdale. Naturally that makes me very happy. Looks like Snead is sticking to his guns here from the original offer & what he feels is the rightful price for a fair to decent ORT who does not being a lot to that position in pass protection.

Bou likes his OL'ers to be versatile who has balance in their abilities to pass block as well as run block with equal results. JB does not meet these desires. When we read the above posts above I see many members describe JB as being a quality OL'er. That's just NOT the case here.

IMO as I see it as this 2015 NFL free agency is moving on it would appear that as originally reported the Rams org. & JB's team are far far apart as to JB true value in the FA'cy. Looks based on what we see now that the Rams Org. was correct & JB's team was just plain wrong as to the real market value.May I remind our members here that JB has only one season as a fulltime starter that was in 2014 and it was not good. The 2013 season that many refers too JB was not the starting ORT when the season began. JB was not the full time starting ORT in the middle of the season either, fact is Saffold has moved JB completely back to the bench once he was fully healed from that knee sprain. It was first the Harvey Dahl career ending injury & then the Shelley Smith breakdown @ ORG that forced Bou to move Saffold from his starting ORT post to the ORG post. JB finished the season as the starting ORT due to injury not overwhelming good play.

I just do not understand the on going grieving, lamenting & weeping the fact that the Rams Org has not kowtowed & bow'd down to what must be out of bound JB contract demands. It could be $$$ or the length of time of the contract too. Noway for me to know whats really going on.

What I do know is of the many top 100 free agent lists ....Joe Barksdale is the last remaining OT. The other very few FA's like OC/OG Wisniewski, OLG Blalock & OC Chris Meyers is a very small cadre of OL'ers. Of course I would love the Rams to sign a Wisniewski or Blalock to start @ OLG post. Blalock should be the more reasonable priced @ this time.

Do you think that because the FA market has thin out that these reluctant UFA's will get a much better deal than expected or less than they expected? Lets hope we can sign at least one of the above OL'ers and that the price will not be too large as to where it causes the Ram Org. issues with the very large UFA Ram contingency next season.

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Good!:banana:

Go get him Titans!:)
You don't like Barksdale?
He was good before he had Davin Joseph next to him. When he played next to Saffold in 2013 (please god allow Saffold to go back to RG) he was very good. That right side was formidable. Plus Barksdale has been pretty sturdy

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You don't like Barksdale?
He was good before he had Davin Joseph next to him. When he played next to Saffold in 2013 (please god allow Saffold to go back to RG) he was very good. That right side was formidable. Plus Barksdale has been pretty sturdy

Yes I like Joe Barksdale but not as a starting ORT. JB is fine person & has shown that he can be an excellent reserve ORT. That's it. In his first starting season 2014, JB experienced a lot of issues in his pass protection. He is a liability when it come to protecting your QB on passing downs. JB played four games in 2014 with Saffold next to him...JB played no better then than when he had Davin Joseph playing next to him. JB even with Saffold next to him permitted pass rushers to molest our QB's.

In 2013 Saffold started the first two games @ ORT injury took Saffold out of the starting lineup for four straight weeks. Rams were in a hurry to get Saffold back in @ ORT in place of Barksdale & he returned to share time with Barksdale on 10-28-2014. Saffold & Barksdale continued to share time @ ORT as Saffold got healthier. On 11-3-2013 Saffold returned to full time starter @ ORT thus sending Barksdale to the bench. Then the career ending injury to Harvey Dahl took place & the following week Saffold started his first game @ ORG. Then the reserve OT filled in for Saffold @ ORT.

Barksdale played five games in 2013 with Saffold @ ORG. Yes the JB & RS duo did very well in the running game in those games. Saffold started the last game @ OLT for Jake Long. In that last game of 2013 Barksdale was awful against the Seahawks in his pass protection. I have said it before I do not want to purchase a high cap cost ORT who has to be teamed with our best OL'er to be effective. I want an OL'er to pull his own weight on that OL not suck off Saffold.

Yes JB is our most durable OL'er. I would say the games that Saffold played next to Barksdale in 2014 were very good in the running game...I have no issues with JB run blocking.....butt monkey its the pass protection where JB fails the big test! JB can not hold up or pass block against small quick speed rushers. Our new QB Foles will not remain healthy & in the line up any longer than Bradford if he is forced to pass with Barksdale as his starting ORT.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I like to think that the folks at Rams Park know a lot more than me about who is a good O line man! Joseph seems to be the exception and Wells, Long just got beat up too badly to be effective! Believing they will get some young studs in the draft and have it under control! (y)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Yes I like Joe Barksdale but not as a starting ORT. JB is fine person & has shown that he can be an excellent reserve ORT. That's it. In his first starting season 2014, JB experienced a lot of issues in his pass protection. He is a liability when it come to protecting your QB on passing downs. JB played four games in 2014 with Saffold next to him...JB played no better then than when he had Davin Joseph playing next to him. JB even with Saffold next to him permitted pass rushers to molest our QB's.

In 2013 Saffold started the first two games @ ORT injury took Saffold out of the starting lineup for four straight weeks. Rams were in a hurry to get Saffold back in @ ORT in place of Barksdale & he returned to share time with Barksdale on 10-28-2014. Saffold & Barksdale continued to share time @ ORT as Saffold got healthier. On 11-3-2013 Saffold returned to full time starter @ ORT thus sending Barksdale to the bench. Then the career ending injury to Harvey Dahl took place & the following week Saffold started his first game @ ORG. Then the reserve OT filled in for Saffold @ ORT.

Barksdale played five games in 2013 with Saffold @ ORG. Yes the JB & RS duo did very well in the running game in those games. Saffold started the last game @ OLT for Jake Long. In that last game of 2013 Barksdale was awful against the Seahawks in his pass protection. I have said it before I do not want to purchase a high cap cost ORT who has to be teamed with our best OL'er to be effective. I want an OL'er to pull his own weight on that OL not suck off Saffold.

Yes JB is our most durable OL'er. I would say the games that Saffold played next to Barksdale in 2014 were very good in the running game...I have no issues with JB run blocking.....butt monkey its the pass protection where JB fails the big test! JB can not hold up or pass block against small quick speed rushers. Our new QB Foles will not remain healthy & in the line up any longer than Bradford if he is forced to pass with Barksdale as his starting ORT.
What rookie ORT in this draft will plug and play better than Joe Barksdale? NONE! Not this year friend. Flowers,Clemmings,Collins are not really 1st rounders we've seen in past years . Peat has many head issues along with needing major footwork help. Scares me to death for Foles who needs a good o-Line. We are not in a position to choose right now. I think Titans sign him too as I saw a tweet the Titans paid his Honeymoon suite bill on the other board. Thats not good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Titans sign him too as I saw a tweet the Titans paid his Honeymoon suite bill on the other board. Thats not good.

I'd have to do more research into it but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. So I doubt it happened.

paceram

Pro Bowler
What rookie ORT in this draft will plug and play better than Joe Barksdale? NONE! Not this year friend. Flowers,Clemmings,Collins are not really 1st rounders we've seen in past years . Peat has many head issues along with needing major footwork help. Scares me to death for Foles who needs a good o-Line. We are not in a position to choose right now. I think Titans sign him too as I saw a tweet the Titans paid his Honeymoon suite bill on the other board. Thats not good.

That does not sound too good for the Rams! All the more reason to hope the Rams can somehow come to terms with Wisniewski and/or Blalock!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's not immaculate in one thing, so we should just let him go to go and get somebody who may not even be up to snuff at all? Never understood this laissez faire, grass is always greener mentality. I get letting a guy go if you think better is out there ala the Raiders letting Wiz go, but this let him go there's a thin possibility that this guy we have no way of knowing anything about may be better always confused me. It's like asking to be bit in the ass.

The kid is solid, and we know he is and know what his problems are and we can tighten them up. Guy's 26 in his what will amount to his 3rd real season of playing. Giving up on him now seems pointless to me, especially if the only viable option is hope some guy in the draft works out. I think we as Rams fans should know better than any not to put all our stock into drafting guys and appreciate the quality we got.

Don't need to have HOFers at every position, a solid guy is a good start, and on an O-line where only 2 guys remain, solid is even better.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

If someone claims to have insider information on that other board, they're full of shit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's not immaculate in one thing, so we should just let him go to go and get somebody who may not even be up to snuff at all? Never understood this laissez faire, grass is always greener mentality. I get letting a guy go if you think better is out there ala the Raiders letting Wiz go, but this let him go there's a thin possibility that this guy we have no way of knowing anything about may be better always confused me. It's like asking to be bit in the ass.

The kid is solid, and we know he is and know what his problems are and we can tighten them up. Guy's 26 in his what will amount to his 3rd real season of playing. Giving up on him now seems pointless to me, especially if the only viable option is hope some guy in the draft works out. I think we as Rams fans should know better than any not to put all our stock into drafting guys and appreciate the quality we got.

Don't need to have HOFers at every position, a solid guy is a good start, and on an O-line where only 2 guys remain, solid is even better.

4sBuzKD.gif

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

But we also don't need to overpay for him either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have to do more research into it but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. So I doubt it happened.
I'd be curious to know why that wouldn't be allowed? He's not under contract at the moment so I don't see why that would be any different than taking Jake Long and his entourage to Ruth's Chris steak house while he was making the rounds.
If he's an UFA and its during the legal free agency period, I don't see how its tampering

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
If someone claims to have insider information on that other board, they're full of crap.
The tweet was from JT's account and I think you know the board of which I speak. Its been there 40 years. I'm not tech minded to bring stuff from that board where I don't post. I don't see eye to eye with Andy and am not the only person to have that. Maybe JT who has imploded after Fisher did'nt give him a heads up on the Foles trade was just joking. The guy needs serious help since the trade and subsiquent introduction of Foles where J.T. just talked about Sam Bradford right in front of Foles being introduced to the RAMS community.

Don't kill the messenger.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be curious to know why that wouldn't be allowed? He's not under contract at the moment so I don't see why that would be any different than taking Jake Long and his entourage to Ruth's Chris steak house while he was making the rounds.
If he's an UFA and its during the legal free agency period, I don't see how its tampering

Because they're not wining and dining him in their own town for a visit. Would more or less be a way to skirt salary cap rules like owners giving players bonuses under the table.

That was one of the big issues with the whole bounty in New Orleans. Not just the player safety element but the fact that the organization was paying players money not set out in their contract so it wasn't being accounted for in the salary cap. That was outlawed with the advent of the salary cap.

It would more or less be the Titans trying to bribe Barksdale with money that they wouldn't have to account for. If he were in Nashville visiting, they can get away with it by claiming it's a visit...but I'm sure there are procedures to all of that. But them paying for him and his wife to go elsewhere? No, I can't see how the NFL would let that one fly. If you allowed that, you'd have teams suddenly giving guys million dollar cars or bonuses under the table to convince them to come to their team without having to deal with the salary cap consequences.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because they're not wining and dining him in their own town for a visit. Would more or less be a way to skirt salary cap rules like owners giving players bonuses under the table.

That was one of the big issues with the whole bounty in New Orleans. Not just the player safety element but the fact that the organization was paying players money not set out in their contract so it wasn't being accounted for in the salary cap. That was outlawed with the advent of the salary cap.

It would more or less be the Titans trying to bribe Barksdale with money that they wouldn't have to account for. If he were in Nashville visiting, they can get away with it by claiming it's a visit...but I'm sure there are procedures to all of that. But them paying for him and his wife to go elsewhere? No, I can't see how the NFL would let that one fly. If you allowed that, you'd have teams suddenly giving guys million dollar cars or bonuses under the table to convince them to come to their team without having to deal with the salary cap consequences.
But he's not under contract with Tennessee.
I havent been able to find anything that would prohibit them doing that.