Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this OL is gonna look a lot different in 2 years. There might only be one 2017 starter left--whomever of the big 3 FAs gets resigned. Re-signing 2 would be gravy, IMO.

If the Rams put up the kind of #s they did last season and Gurley has another monster year, re-signing these guys will be tough. I could easily see Havs becoming the highest paid RT in the league. If he does get that kind of $$, I would be surprised if it came from the Rams.

Saffold was amazing last season. Just go back and watch the hi-lights. Game in and game out, he was making huge blocks to spring Gurley. The chemistry between him and Whitworth was incredible. Rarely does a stunt or blitz overwhelm them. Saffold will be looking to grab that last big payday and if he plays like he did last year, he will probably get it.

Factor in the age of Whitworth and Sullivan, and it's fairly clear to see that there needs to be some draft capital spent this year on future replacements.

Just asking for your opinion. How did Williams look next to Saffold last season when Whitworth went down ?? I think Austin Blythe filled in at Center & both guard spots ok ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The resigning of Lucas is encouraging. Kromer doesn't let guys stick around if he doesn't see improvement, ala Barnes, Donnal, Wichmann. Lucas started and played RT the last game of the season and looked pretty good. Does Kromer see Lucas as a LT? He has all the measurable of a LT. I'm guessing we're going to see a lot of Lucas in pre season.
My take is he is a RT , but who knows right now ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just as I predicted.
I had a strong feeling there was a reason they had not changed his Wikipedia page yet as his agent was probably in contract negotiations with the Rams first.
He never left The Rams website roster. DW was off it , but is now back on. The last player U believe that was unsigned in Connor Varwin is now officially off The Rams roster

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My take is he is a RT , but who knows right now ?

Lucas played LT at Kansas State, however, in Detroit did not show progress at that position, so it remains to be seen if he can play LT, but having a solid RT backup would be huge. All of us knows that Darrell Williams struggled at LT with his only start and all of us hope that the Rams upgrade this unit via the draft and hopefully someone will emerge in case of injury.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's a tackle/guard so that makes him a good game-day active candidate because he can backup two spots.

The same with Blythe who is a center/guard.

DW & Lucas are both listed as Tackles. Blythe is the back up Guard as of last season when injuries occurred .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well that's the whole thing there though isn't it?
How good are the second-tier offensive lineman?
How many injuries could we have before the line falls apart?
Which player could we afford to lose without taking a BIG step backwards?

The good news is we have seen other teams offensive lines lose players.
The next man up steps into the spot with no discernible drop off.

With a real offensive line coach in Kromer, there's a possibility we could be one of those teams.

Within reason and depending on number of injuries of course.

I think yes The Rams Whole Core OFFENSIVE LINE is back in Place !!

The need has become less !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lucas played LT at Kansas State, however, in Detroit did not show progress at that position, so it remains to be seen if he can play LT, but having a solid RT backup would be huge. All of us knows that Darrell Williams struggled at LT with his only start and all of us hope that the Rams upgrade this unit via the draft and hopefully someone will emerge in case of injury.

Totally agree !! I think if The Rams can get that one LT in the draft would do wonders. The thing though once again though is DW is still only 24 years of age going into his 3rd season with The Rams .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To be a dominant offense you need a dominant OL. The Rams are old in two spots and the two young guys are in the last year of their deals.

So they need to bring in at least two guys this year that have a legitimate shot of being quality starters by 2019 or 2020. And sure they could bring in another vet who would be a short term option like Whitworth, but FA money will not be plentiful going forward as the Rams hopefully lock up their own star players. Some cheap, but effective rookie OL are a must.

Right now I think being young is not the answer !! I think devoting with in is the way to go !!

Darrel Williams is only 24 going into his 3rd season. He got to test the market, and gives The Rams insurance they have a better back up than last season by just getting better !!

The Big 5 as my only post last season ran true !! The thing about DE is he got 1st team Reps every Wednesday at LT !! I’m also not saying you don’t bring in competition either as you say. DW is scary at RT compared to LTwhich is weird to me. Lucas was on the practice.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams aren't as thin on the OL as some think. With a couple guys in the draft and a camp cut the Rams OL should be in pretty good shape. Of course, "barring injury".

Whitworth--D Williams (Lucas)?
Saffold-Blythe
Sullivan-Eldercamp, Blythe
Brown-D Williams, Neary
Havenstien-Lucas

That's nine OL. That how many Rams kept on 53 man roster last season and the only dressed 8 for games.
I could see the Rams upgrading if they see someone get cut or a Draftee look better in TC. If I were D Williams or Neary, I'd be very worried about getting replaced.

The reason for this post was because DW was off The Rams roster & Lucas was not signed.
Funny thing though is there is a player who must have been released very quietly ?? Do you remember The Rams first OL signing of 2018 ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The thing though once again though is DW is still only 24 years of age going into his 3rd season with The Rams .

I have been on Williams since the Rams signed him as an UDRFA out of South Florida back in 2015. I knew he was a better LT than Pace Murphy, however, Murphy showed better in 2016 to beat Williams out (Rams eventually IR'd Williams) because Murphy was better at RT and Murphy made the team.

Last year, not even close as Williams during preseason showcased he could play LT, Murphy was lost at both positions. Williams made the squad, however, again IMHO, Williams is a much better LT than RT. Seems to really struggle at RT, but against the 49ers, he and Center Aaron Neary were weak links to the starting offensive line that day of Williams, Blythe, Neary, Brown & Lucas.

Williams allowed several pressures and a couple of sacks on that day and thus I gave up hope. Now, maybe he finds himself, but I do believe the Rams realize they have to improve the depth at the position, especially to find a bonafide backup to Whitworth and unless Williams showcases major improvement, IMO, this will be his last season in horns.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He never left The Rams website roster. DW was off it , but is now back on. The last player U believe that was unsigned in Connor Varwin is now officially off The Rams roster
Dude. Those rosters are all over the place on different websites and have no basis in reality.
You have to go to websites like Overthecap.com to see which players are actually listed as being signed or not.
Lucas was not signed until yesterday.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
DW & Lucas are both listed as Tackles. Blythe is the back up Guard as of last season when injuries occurred .
Williams has taken the field as a guard and is listed as a tackle.
That makes him a tackle/guard in my book.

Blythe was the game-day active Center and even started a game at Center.
Since he's listed as a guard that makes him a Guard/Center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have been on Williams since the Rams signed him as an UDRFA out of South Florida back in 2015. I knew he was a better LT than Pace Murphy, however, Murphy showed better in 2016 to beat Williams out (Rams eventually IR'd Williams) because Murphy was better at RT and Murphy made the team.

Last year, not even close as Williams during preseason showcased he could play LT, Murphy was lost at both positions. Williams made the squad, however, again IMHO, Williams is a much better LT than RT. Seems to really struggle at RT, but against the 49ers, he and Center Aaron Neary were wink links to the starting offensive line that day of Williams, Blythe, Neary, Brown & Lucas.

Williams allowed several pressures and a couple of sacks on that day and thus I gave up hope. Now, maybe he finds himself, but I do believe the Rams realize they have to improve the depth at the position, especially to find a bonafide backup to Whitworth and unless Williams showcases major improvement, IMO, this will be his last season in horns.

Awesome reply !! So True !!

I think going into the draft & camp he is the best option. Who knows how Dedicated he is, or how are use worked out your dedicated years, or how are use worked o this off season. By taking him off the roster while keeping Lucas on paintsa the picture for him to see that.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Looks like Williams & Lucas are back on minimum salary contracts. Expect to see a draft pick or 2 brought in to challenge for the roster spots of both. Need to begin to develop the future of the OL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dude. Those rosters are all over the place on different websites and have no basis in reality.
You have to go to websites like Overthecap.com to see which players are actually listed as being signed or not.
Lucas was not signed until yesterday.

Still The Rams have control on there home Web-Site ? TheRams.com ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams has taken the field as a guard and is listed as a tackle.
That makes him a tackle/guard in my book.

Blythe was the game-day active Center and even started a game at Center.
Since he's listed as a guard that makes him a Guard/Center.

No real truth there . Then everyone on The Rams roster should be listed as C/G or G/T.

Go look at who filled in when players got hurt , or even the last game of the year. Kromer is playing whoever he thinks will be best player to fill in.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LOL!! I live 3 Blocks from this store, and go there frequently for Beer-Cigs and Lotto!! It a nice Place Friendly people!!
LOL!! I live 3 Blocks from this store, and go there frequently for Beer-Cigs and Lotto!! It a nice Place Friendly people!!
You mean that larger friendly man. I didn’t by a six pack , which the gal I was with thought I had. Was looking for a place for sunglasses like a DD’s around there ?
He was packing single beers on ice . Looks like people where flying in & out of there like crazy. So you know the duck Park where the festival was .
If I was by myself I totally would have bought some alcohol and headed to the music.

Dude I want to go to Cal Lou & spyware a practice minus the video.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Just asking for your opinion. How did Williams look next to Saffold last season when Whitworth went down ?? I think Austin Blythe filled in at Center & both guard spots ok ?

I like Blythe. I think he did a great job last year filling in. I would not be surprised if he is one of those new starters when the current starting lineup starts turning over next year.

As for Williams, I still haven't seen anything to get excited about. It's hard to give up on a player who's so young despite having some NFL experience, but when the Rams bring in several OL to fill the 90 man roster, it will be telling WHERE these guys are coming from--drafted early, late, UDFAs.