Average Big Board Ratings of the Offensive Linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I have compiled a list of the top 25 Rated offensive linemen in a spreadsheet that I set up. This list is not about my personal preferences. This list is about getting feel for how the draft may break for the offensive line especially in the first four rounds. I originally did this to satisfy my own curiosity but after compiling it I though it should be shared with my Rams brethren.

There is nothing scientific about this list. I took the player rankings from 12 different sources, including one from thehammer’s earlier post, and then just averaged the rankings. It is interesting to see a large variance on some of the player’s rankings and yet most rankings fall into a pretty consistent band. For those who do not perceive Scherff as a top ten talent, the rankings seem to disagree with that.
O line Draft Ranks.jpg

I have highlighted some of my hopeful picks - Scherff at 10, Marpet in the 3rd, and Havenstein in the 4th. In addition to the height and weight I also included columns for the SPARQ scores and arm lengths of the linemen listed.

If you want a copy of my spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel 2010) PM me and I will gladly send it to you.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes does seem most here feel Brandon Scherff is not top 10 material & they seem hell bent to go against the common thought & believe to be just fine with the WR DeVante Parker is bona-fided & the real deal & best pick!o_O

That's with the current on board Ram receivers full of top talent. ......A super speedy large framed Jared Cook, resigning of WR UFA's former first round pick Kenny Britt & former high 2nd rd pick TE Lance Kendricks..... a first round top #8 pick of WR Tavon Austin, the first 2nd rd pick of 2012 WR Brian Quick, & 3rd rd selection of WR Stedman Bailey. Where & when would Parker see the field?:confused:.

At least the selection of Scherff would be an instant win win with the insertion into the vacant starting OLG post & stands a good chance where Brandon could also be emergency reserve to the vacant swing OT position.;)

I will share some of my likes.....from your spreadsheet:

1st Ram selection
Scherff-OLG
Collins-ORT/OLG/Swing OT
Peat- ORT/Swing OT

2nd rd selection
Cann-OG
Tomlinson-OG

3rd rd selection
Ali Marpet-OLG/OC
Denzel Perryman MLB
Best QB on the board

4th rd selection
Rob Havenstein ORT/ORG
John Miller-OLG/ORG
Kevin White CB

6th rd selection
Nick Marshall QB/DB
Max Garcia OC/ORG
Chaz Green ORT

7th rd selection
Blake Sims QB

I want those two running & quick QB's Sims & Marshall over a pocket passer just in case the OL continues to be what it has been for over a decade.....dismal!

jjab360

Legend
I think Scherff is good, but he has issues and a lot of bad tape that has to be red flagged despite his raw strength and straight line athleticism.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes does seem most here feel Brandon Scherff is not top 10 material & they seem hell bent to go against the common thought & believe to be just fine with the WR DeVante Parker is bona-fided & the real deal & best pick!o_O

That's with the current on board Ram receivers full of top talent. ......A super speedy large framed Jared Cook, resigning of WR UFA's former first round pick Kenny Britt & former high 2nd rd pick TE Lance Kendricks..... a first round top #8 pick of WR Tavon Austin, the first 2nd rd pick of 2012 WR Brian Quick, & 3rd rd selection of WR Stedman Bailey. Where & when would Parker see the field?:confused:.

At least the selection of Scherff would be an instant win win with the insertion into the vacant starting OLG post & stands a good chance where Brandon could also be emergency reserve to the vacant swing OT position.;)

I will share some of my likes.....from your spreadsheet:

1st Ram selection
Scherff-OLG
Collins-ORT/OLG/Swing OT
Peat- ORT/Swing OT

2nd rd selection
Cann-OG
Tomlinson-OG

3rd rd selection
Ali Marpet-OLG/OC
Denzel Perryman MLB
Best QB on the board

4th rd selection
Rob Havenstein ORT/ORG
John Miller-OLG/ORG
Kevin White CB

6th rd selection
Nick Marshall QB/DB
Max Garcia OC/ORG
Chaz Green ORT

7th rd selection
Blake Sims QB

I want those two running & quick QB's Sims & Marshall over a pocket passer just in case the OL continues to be what it has been for over a decade.....dismal!

Seeing that it can take a WR 3 years to really get up to speed in the NFL, easing a WR into the plan should be part of this years thinking.

Tavon still has not been what we expect from a top ten pick. I dont think he ever will be more than acompliment. Bailey is a number 3 so farawhile flashes potential but has not shown that he is a guy teams worry about. Britt is signed for two years and we hope his old bad habits don't return. Quick is a question mark because of the severity of his shoulder injury. Kendrick's has been resigned but will the Rams compete for Cook in two years, or even keep him on the team after next season with his cap friendly contract in his final season, which makes cutting him not much of a hit?

In two to three years the Rams could really be hurting at WR.How many more WR heavy drafts are coming up? This is a great year to get a very good WR. Is it tougher to get a good Guard or a good WR?
I'd take WR before Guard if the grades are close and I have been wanting the Rams to fix the line since the Donut brothers left.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have compiled a list of the top 25 Rated offensive linemen in a spreadsheet that I set up. This list is not about my personal preferences. This list is about getting feel for how the draft may break for the offensive line especially in the first four rounds. I originally did this to satisfy my own curiosity but after compiling it I though it should be shared with my Rams brethren.

There is nothing scientific about this list. I took the player rankings from 12 different sources, including one from thehammer’s earlier post, and then just averaged the rankings. It is interesting to see a large variance on some of the player’s rankings and yet most rankings fall into a pretty consistent band. For those who do not perceive Scherff as a top ten talent, the rankings seem to disagree with that.
View attachment 6055
I have highlighted some of my hopeful picks - Scherff at 10, Marpet in the 3rd, and Havenstein in the 4th. In addition to the height and weight I also included columns for the SPARQ scores and arm lengths of the linemen listed.

If you want a copy of my spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel 2010) PM me and I will gladly send it to you.
Nice Work Noregar, This^ is Needed 'Input'! I always need more input!!
Johnny%205.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seeing that it can take a WR 3 years to really get up to speed in the NFL, easing a WR into the plan should be part of this years thinking.

Sure looks like your right we are still waiting on Austin, Quick & Bailey to arrive. Those 4yr first contracts & they gone off to UFA'ville, hardly make it worth the selections. Maybe we should be looking at other teams rosters for WR's who were drafted in 2012 & sign them as free agents?
In two to three years the Rams could really be hurting at WR.
True but the Rams have been hurting for over a decade with our OL's & hurting now why not try to address the real mess now in the OL instead of guessing on what may be hurting in 2 to 3 yrs as you mentioned?
How many more WR heavy drafts are coming up? This is a great year to get a very good WR. Is it tougher to get a good Guard or a good WR?
True too but I have seen a lot of HOT deep WR drafts now for a while.

I'd take WR before Guard if the grades are close and I have been wanting the Rams to fix the line since the Donut brothers left.
I know that, I have enjoyed our many discussions for yrs now(y). As well you know how I feel on the nasty oozing open sore to the Ram team in the OL....until you get it fixed all the all pro Ram WR's will remain underutilized & just running routes of futility as our QB is continually smushed & IR'd. It does not start with the receivers it starts with the OL!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Great work.

I remember David DeCastro and Riley Reiff being rated pretty highly by draftnik media only to last until the bottom of round one. Bryan Bulaga was expected to go top 15 or so and lasted till the early 20s.

Just wish we knew where these guys were rated on the draft boards that matter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Great work.

I remember David DeCastro and Riley Reiff being rated pretty highly by draftnik media only to last until the bottom of round one. Bryan Bulaga was expected to go top 15 or so and lasted till the early 20s.

Just wish we knew where these guys were rated on the draft boards that matter.

When it gets this close to the draft Mayock and Kiper seem to have a good handle on how first rounders are rated. Kiper does good in the final mock comparisons every year.

It is like a race. All of these draft pundits compete with each other all offseason to collect the best information so they can look like the smartest guy in the business. This close to the draft they are going over all of their notes and figuring out who goes where. I believe that is why Mayock isn't in studio as much. He is out doing his own recon and talking to scouts and coaches at pro days, to get the most accurate info.

I wonder if ESPN offers up money to people for info. I remember when the Rams fired the Euipment guy. For many years teams seemed to be one step ahead of the Rams in the draft. I bet teams would offer a guy like that money for a big board photo or just information he gleaned from chitchatting. I bet the Networks would to if he was offering his services.

I noticed Mayock rates Andrus Peat as the 4th best OT. Is that his eval or is he hearing some things?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Awesome post! I was about to say what players I wanted and then realized you already highlighted them. How dumb would it be for our biggest need to not be filled by the consensus best lineman? And something instinctive tells me Marpet is just a guy who refuses to fail. Havenstine is a ROD late round cult pick. If not for our brethren, none of us would notice him save Hammer. For that reason alone, he makes my team. BTW, Hundley in the second.