Andrew Whitworth expected to sign with LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It isn't the guard play, as much as the position switch that hurt his development. I suppose they could have just left him at guard, but either way he needed to have one position.

I think he has to learn both LT & LG !!
GRob needs to just get reps & play. If he thinks about it to much then that will be his problem.It about technique first with Kromer..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams agreed to terms with LT Andrew Whitworth, formerly of the Bengals, on a three-year, $36 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.

:santa:
Seeing this this morning just made my year! Sure puts a hurt on that very young team theme.......I gave this signing about ZERO % in happening. Maybe there's magic in the Demoff/Snead/McVay trio?

What this signing does to Rodger Saffold & Greg Robinson remain to be seen. With a new starting LT & Havenstein locked in @ RT there's no other starting OT posts left for GRob. Meaning if GRob want to continue a career in the NFL he will have to settle with competing & vying with other OG' for a starting position. A now healthy Jamon Brown is sure to give GRob a big battle @ LG.

Rodger Saffold position is on very shaky ground his main value to this team was being the main reserve to the LT post but also to the RT post. He still has worth but his over 6 million contract cost could be cut to 4,2 million saved if he is released.

GRob now adds solid depth at LT , as well. Can Wichmann be a backup center ?? He gave Brown a run for hi money at guard last year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Considering the lack of 1st round pick, this is the best way to start off FA!

I'm pretty sure McVay has a mind control device with him considering that everything surrounding him sounds too good to be true.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think you under estimate The Rams youth & depth.

I just know J32 Loved Kromer as a OLine coach . You go around & look at his body of work & have to think what he is going to be able to do with this group.
He will be able to pick out the sour.

Wichmann,Brown,Donnal are your backups now at guard ?? GRob is your back up LT ?? Saffold plays Tackle as well. Wichmann hopefully can learn to be a solid center.

I dont know that I under-estimate them... I just know that by adding Whitworth, the Rams got someone who can potentially help elevate the entire group.
I think Hav just needs to stay healthy, and I would hope that Grob ends up at LG. Hopefully Barnes somehow makes a giant leap or another C option comes forward.
Either way, a healthy Whitworth should make a significant impact in improving a group that was little better than pathetic in 2016.

Whitworth wasnt the sexy move- but its the one I wanted and voted for in the Who Will Be Rams Big FA thread.
I didnt actually think we would do it though!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Did they not like what they saw in rob?
Havenstien? Man...I'm telling you...the amount of pressure in some games from the right side...the lack of push...If we didn't put some real competition over there for Rob, we're doing HIM a disservice....If he puts in some work on that lower body....maybe...but I don't see Havenstein holding off Robinson for the tackle position. Greg has a tackle body...he moves like a tackle...who wouldn't want him on the edge??? There is no way Kromer won't at least look at him there first. Now, if Brown & Wichman are virtually the same players as last season....

Where is the crowd that said GRob was much better than thought of and was picked on by the refs?

I am not being sarcastic. I want to hear some counter thoughts.

My first reaction is that Kromer must not see GRob as an OLT at all if they move him to Guard. Otherwise this move would just delay his development as an OLT.

Or Kromer doesn't like Havenstein, or he is seriously injured. Even if GRob took over at ORT, it won't develop his Left Tackle skills. Interesting development. I guess the Rams will be looking for a new Left Tackle in the coming years, which sucks because it can be a very difficult position to fill.
THAT CROWD IS ME BABY!!!! Whitworth deal is...again...front loaded...not sure of the numbers...but this is definitely not permanent. Playing anywhere will develop G-Rob offensive line skills...better still, playing in a functional unit will develop his football IQ. He needs time around competent line play. LT's often start on the RT side, then move over when ready. Think Tyron with the Cowboys. I believe Greg can play...if he can do NOTHING ELSE, he can run block. Which should be HARDER than pass blocking...At least it was to me.

What this signing does to Rodger Saffold & Greg Robinson remain to be seen. With a new starting LT & Havenstein locked in @ RT there's no other starting OT posts left for GRob.
It places our best physical specimens on the bookends....Andy at LT...and Greg at RT....I'd say Brown, Wichman, Donnall, and....someone I'm missing...are battling for RG...I'd draft one, cause there are a couple I'd like...

But CENTER is the FINAL PIECE FELLAS!!!!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@woofwoofmo

I'm gonna remember how to spell that avi name soon.. Please explain to ME, kind sir, why is it, that whenever I compare Greg...the NUMBER 2 pick...to ANY LINEMAN on the RAMS....you disagree? What is it that you see, that I don't?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......... Playing anywhere will develop G-Rob offensive line skills...better still, playing in a functional unit will develop his football IQ. He needs time around competent line play. LT's often start on the RT side, then move over when ready. Think Tyron with the Cowboys. I believe Greg can play...if he can do NOTHING ELSE, he can run block. Which should be HARDER than pass blocking...At least it was to me.

It places our best physical specimens on the bookends....Andy at LT...and Greg at RT....I'd say Brown, Wichman, Donnall, and....someone I'm missing...are battling for RG...I'd draft one, cause there are a couple I'd like...

But CENTER is the FINAL PIECE FELLAS!!!!!!

Well you know that I would have to say something here on the above.....GRob is UN-developable. I have said the best the Rams could hope to get from GRob in 2017 would be as a reserve swing OT... I am not hopeful that GRob can earn a starting OG post with what Kromer demands from his starting OL'ers. When you listen to Kromer speak on what he wants & desires & gets from his starting OL'ers on game day .....well GRob is in for a very rude awakening.Those broken chairs are most likely from GRob's back yard.

Havenstein should have been placed on the injured reserve last season with that broken toe. What Fisher & Boudreau did to him .....well lets just say I sure glad both have departed. If Andrew Donnal does not win the starting RG post then there is no way GRob will beat Donnal out of the reserve RT position. If Havenstein for some reasons is damaged goods due to the 2016 event & is not physically ready to start in 2017 then it will be Andrew Donnal who will be our starting RT till Havenstein is fully ready NOT GRob.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
If they plan to start Beetlejuice at LG, they better prepare a solid backup. Both Kromer and Whitworth should go a long way showing these young OL pups how to prepare their bodies & minds, how to properly study their opponents, how to anticipate/react to blitzing and stunts, etc.

Jared: "Now that my Golden Behind is secure, let's get me some receivers, sirs!!!!"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/andrew-whitworth-to-sign-with-rams/#comments

You will be missed big man
----------
Nice signing. Hopefully he can both play and show the kids on the line how to get it done.
----------
sh*t like this is why the Bengals will never win a superbowl. just asinine and stupid to let your best offensive lineman walk for 2 more mil per year. terrible. as a bengals fan this really grinds me gears.
---------
That’s a good get for the Rams. Their OL has been a straight joke for years. Even if Whitworth’s skills aren’t quite what they used to be, he will bring the mojo of winning a lot of games, a work ethic, and sound technique to a unit that has lacked all of that for a long time.
---------
Honestly, Whitworth is as good as he ever was. It won’t last more than another year or two, but he really is as good or better.
----------
Damn, gonna miss him as a Bengals fan.
----------
One of the top 5 underrated players of the last 20 years?
----------
Good start for RAMS . Hopefully keep it going, maybe a receiver
---------
Must be great to sign a guy who’s now the best guy on your offensive line. Your old left tackle becomes the new right tackle. Maybe your old right tackle gets moved to guard.
---------
Robinson will be shifted to LG. No need to move Havenstein, who’s their only other decent lineman, around.
----------
Andy Dalton just put his Cincinnati house on the market.
---------
Nice move for the Rams. They need to build a real O line to protect their young QB and give Gurley some legitimate blocking.
---------
Whoa. He may be great but he is also 35.
---------
I thought for sure he’d chase a ring if he left the Bengals. No idea why he’d take this offer other than money, but that’s his right. Really surprised anyone gave him a 3 year deal, but realistically he’d be one of the best guards in the league if he had to slide into there for a year or two. Best of luck to Whit.
----------
From how it looks the Rams can get out of the deal after one season as only 2.5 million is guaranteed in year 2 of the deal
-----------
Thanks for a lot of great years, Big Whit! You were always Mr Bengals in my eyes. We’re gonna miss you, and hope you come back on a 1 day deal to retire as a Bengal.
-----------
As a Rams fan I’m thrilled by this move. Now we can move worthless Greg Robinson out of there and shift him to guard. Let’s hope MckVay is smarter then the previous coaching staff and call more running plays to that side of the field and actually get Gurley more involved in the passing game.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
How does this guy know?
Alden Gonzalez got connected pretty quickly with the Rams front office and coaching staff after taking the ESPN gig. His info has been pretty spot on since he took the job. He hinted at the Woods signing right before it happened.

A55VA6

Legend
He's 35... but playing some of his best ball and is a top LT. Great signing. Brings veteran leadership with him.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
@woofwoofmo

I'm gonna remember how to spell that avi name soon.. Please explain to ME, kind sir, why is it, that whenever I compare Greg...the NUMBER 2 pick...to ANY LINEMAN on the RAMS....you disagree? What is it that you see, that I don't?

I wish I could go into detail. The whole Rams line just became much better today. LT was a huge reason for all the problems last year. I don't see it getting better by changing any of the remaining pieces by moving last year's LT to one of the G positions. There are a lot of things beyond what you see on the field that go into some of these decisions.

On a side note, I didn't mean to single you out, I disagree with a lot of the things said here, and it's because I know things that most here are not privy to. Things you see, hear and read are often not what true realities are.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
GRob's reaction: Yikes!

This signing is gonna be huge! Goff will finally have a bit of protection! :cheers:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LT Whitwoth
LG GRob
C ?
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

The vet Pro Bowler next to GRob and Saffold back at RG with a vet next to Havenstein. Makes the most sense to me.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I dont know that I under-estimate them... I just know that by adding Whitworth, the Rams got someone who can potentially help elevate the entire group.
I think Hav just needs to stay healthy, and I would hope that Grob ends up at LG. Hopefully Barnes somehow makes a giant leap or another C option comes forward.
Either way, a healthy Whitworth should make a significant impact in improving a group that was little better than pathetic in 2016.

Whitworth wasnt the sexy move- but its the one I wanted and voted for in the Who Will Be Rams Big FA thread.
I didnt actually think we would do it though!
I think you under estimate The Rams youth & depth.

I just know J32 Loved Kromer as a OLine coach . You go around & look at his body of work & have to think what he is going to be able to do with this group.
He will be able to pick out the sour.

Wichmann,Brown,Donnal are your backups now at guard ?? GRob is your back up LT ?? Saffold plays Tackle as well. Wichmann hopefully can learn to be a solid center.

Im sorry, I responded to this once already and you gave me a "different opinion" ?

Please explain to me what it is you think we disagree about because I am not following.

Do you agree this signing is good?
Do you agree our line was really bad last year?

If so, then what the heck am I missing here?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at the depth chart now for our line:

LT - Whitworth / Murphy / Williams
LG - Saffold / Brown
C - Barnes / Rhaney
RG - Wichmann / Robinson
RT - Havenstein / Donnal

Not too bad tbh. Center is the glaring issue now, that and RG. If it were me this would be our line:

LT Whitworth
LG Brown
C DRAFTEE
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

You'd have a young and older vet on each side. Young stud center from midrounds. IMO the line is best with Brown as a starting OG, he's going to be our best OG next year. Saffold backup is still key, because you know he's not gonna stay healthy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Always a pleasure my friend
Well you know that I would have to say something here on the above.....GRob is UN-developable. I have said the best the Rams could hope to get from GRob in 2017 would be as a reserve swing OT...that the best we could hope for. I am not hopeful that GRob can earn a starting OG post with what Kromer demands from his OL'ers.

Havenstein should have been placed on the injured reserve last season with that broken toe. What Fisher & Boudreau did to him .....well lets just say I sure glad both have departed. If Andrew Donnal does not win the starting RG post then there is no way GRob will beat Donnal out of the reserve RT position. If Havenstein for some reasons is damaged goods due to the 2016 event then Donnal will be our starting RT not GRob.
You know...you are the first to comment about guard play...for some reason, everyone just assumes guard is so much easier than tackle to play. I say, stuff happens faster, versus stronger individuals. With all the pulls, and stuff...LOLOL....

I don't know Kromer...never paid attention to him...I was all looking at Tom Cable...and comparing his work to Boudreau's... I'm am hoping he can fix the mess caused in Greg. Un-developable! love it... You know, we humans can always learn. I thought it strange that Greg went out and PUBLICIZED his work with LeCharles Bentley...like, why not do that in secret? It seems like he wanted to "show" someone..maybe us fans...maybe other teams...maybe Rams coaches..he loves the game, and is willing to put in the extra work. Sorta like the reverse of the JJ Watt youtube stunts...JJ works on youtube...is Def. player of the year...G-Rob works..is trying to shed the "draft bust" label. IDK, but I'll always remember his devastating blocks as much as his boneheaded penalties...kinda, a ....this is what he could be...Rams fan-ism....at its best. I'll always remember him running down a defender after a int his first year....hustling. I'll always note, he's NEVER BEEN INJURED....that alone should cut him some slack. We are both here and wondering, why isn't he improving? A 25 year old...that can't learn new tricks....Damn, he's gonna be shit outta luck at 50 if they ever introduce a new internet...a new phone...a new hover-craft type car...LOLOLOL He has to be able to learn is what I'm getting at, you just need to find which style, or in what amounts of varying styles will be beneficial to Greg picking up common blocking concepts & scheme...To me...when we have so many breakdowns on a simple T/E stunt...it's not just him.
I'll always say Boni....if I see a lineman with dirt on the BACK of his jersey, that's a lineman that needs to be replaced...until then, find out how to reach these huge young men that move....
Donnall sure looked improved to me last year. Great looking future for sure. As I have said once or twice, I liked him at Iowa...More of a bargain than Scherff....
Those other 3....the injury prone ones...need to show they are and can STAY healthy b4 we start putting them ahead of Greg. Which 3 you ask? Saffold (best answer for LG), Wichman (saw him in college...thought he'd be MUCH BETTER) and the mystery that is Rob Havenstein (to be encouraged/forced/coerced into playing while hurt is just....man, don't they know what happens to big fellas with foot injuries?? Bill Walton taught me)

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I never thought this could be a reality. I thought her was either going to resign with the Bengals or go to a contender. I hope Whitworth is like Jackie Slater and can play at a high level into his 40s. He is still highly rated last year, didn't give up a sack.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I never thought this could be a reality. I thought her was either going to resign with the Bengals or go to a contender. I hope Whitworth is like Jackie Slater and can play at a high level into his 40s. He is still highly rated last year, didn't give up a sack.

Its our reality....Happy Thursday!:cheers:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well you know that I would have to say something here on the above.....GRob is UN-developable. I have said the best the Rams could hope to get from GRob in 2017 would be as a reserve swing OT... I am not hopeful that GRob can earn a starting OG post with what Kromer demands from his starting OL'ers. When you listen to Kromer speak on what he wants & desires & gets from his starting OL'ers on game day .....well GRob is in for a very rude awakening.Those broken chairs are most likely from GRob's back yard.

Havenstein should have been placed on the injured reserve last season with that broken toe. What Fisher & Boudreau did to him .....well lets just say I sure glad both have departed. If Andrew Donnal does not win the starting RG post then there is no way GRob will beat Donnal out of the reserve RT position. If Havenstein for some reasons is damaged goods due to the 2016 event & is not physically ready to start in 2017 then it will be Andrew Donnal who will be our starting RT till Havenstein is fully ready NOT GRob.

Will see ?? This does add depth , I think GRob can play LG at a high level.

Snead talked about discussing guard with GRob . Kromer said he liked the way RRob can pull.
-McVay gave Big Rob all love. He then said he liked Barnes & Saffolds play. He then said he saw flashes from GRob. Now The Rams sign Whitworth as LT.
I think as of right now there is the starting Offensive line.