Adrian Peterson Arrested.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
If we can force a grown man to sell his business (albeit for 2 billion) for mere words, surely we can force a man out of a league for hitting a kid so hard that marks were visible...what...days, a week, after the fact. Yeah we all got corporal punishment as kids, but I don't recall ever getting one so bad people commented on it days later. That is abuse....pure and simple to me. Man has to go if found guilty...
Dont disagree....although, it sort of begs a question about everyone being so quick to take away someones livelihood. To put things in another context, if he was a plumber or a truck driver who the first thought be to take his job away?
I dont see the connection. Punishment, sure, suspension, ok I suppose. All charges and crimes are not equal. Jumping to the "kick him out of the league" default setting after every incident seems goofy to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Pretty disturbing.
Considering the kid is 4 years old and AP is a grown man and an exceptionally strong one at that....bad choice man.
Seems a justified charge to me.
That said....what is the deal with TMZ posting pictures of an injured child, a minor, for public consumption?
I dont know the legality of all of that, I will just say, stay classy TMZ.

Philly5

Rookie
Vikings handled the situation the right way by deactivating him. Hopefully the Panthers and 49ers are paying attention.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This argument is an interesting one.

I tend to go with science. It seems to always win out in the end. There are no studies that support whipping as productive. Children who are whipped are more likely to commit crimes and more likely to use violence. That's about all I needed to know.

On the other side is tradition. My father would whip us senseless with a belt. My grandfather was a raging racist. I'm not big on tradition in my decision processes.

fearsomefour

Legend
Those were the days. We got the paddle even in high school. More of a 2x4 than a paddle. Our sadistic Principal drilled 1/2 holes in his to cut down on wind resistance before it hit your ass. But to be fair, he did give you a choice. 1 week internal suspension (which is basically sitting in one room all day) or 3 "whacks." I always took the whacks. Why? Because freak him. And because if I had to tell my parents I got suspended, I'd be getting whacked anyway.
Wow....exactly the same at my elementary school. You got the choice. It was usually the teacher that would do it, female teacher, so it was laughable. The irony that was lost on these idiot teachers was if you are going to punish a kid for being a distraction the way NOT to do it is have them in front of the class getting spanked.
The last time it happened there the VP did it to me, big guy and he left me have it. Left a mark or two. My father went down to the school and into his office, took the paddle off of his desk and basically said you have a choice, lose the paddle or get a taste of your own medicine. My dad was not a big guy, 5' 9" or so, but, was 101st Airborne and had a way of being scary without raising his voice.
Never saw the paddle again.
It is easy to look back at capital punishment in schools and think it was ok, it certainly was effective in a way, but, as an adult I could not imagine being so filled with presumption as to smack someone elses' kid.

fearsomefour

Legend
This argument is an interesting one.

I tend to go with science. It seems to always win out in the end. There are no studies that support whipping as productive. Children who are whipped are more likely to commit crimes and more likely to use violence. That's about all I needed to know.

On the other side is tradition. My father would whip us senseless with a belt. My grandfather was a raging racist. I'm not big on tradition in my decision processes.
The problem with studies like that is they are not full pictures. They are usually coming from a place of presumption and looking to verify. Looking at ONE aspect of someones life experience growing and assigning a linear result.....not responsible.
You could conduct a study showing the exact same thing (and there have been these studies) regarding if a kids parents are together or divorced, income level, early education for the child, level of alcohol/drug use in the house, religious affiliation ect.
All of those can play a role in a kid getting into crime or dropping out of school or whatever the negative behavior is....can any one hold the blame? Not really.
Study after study cannot change the fact that people are individuals.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sometimes when my children are wound up and need something to grab their attention, I'll grip their neck from behind and give it a quick squeeze. It's not painful, just uncomfortable and attention grabbing.

My kid was talking in class and the teacher told her she was going to speak with me. My little one said "Please don't, he'll choke me!"

That was an interesting conversation with the school.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The problem with studies like that is they are not full pictures. They are usually coming from a place of presumption and looking to verify. Looking at ONE aspect of someones life experience growing and assigning a linear result.....not responsible.
You could conduct a study showing the exact same thing (and there have been these studies) regarding if a kids parents are together or divorced, income level, early education for the child, level of alcohol/drug use in the house, religious affiliation ect.
All of those can play a role in a kid getting into crime or dropping out of school or whatever the negative behavior is....can any one hold the blame? Not really.
Study after study cannot change the fact that people are individuals.

That's true. It's impossible to prove because we aren't going to do experiments on humans. But the violence studies cut through socio / economic lines.

In the end, for me, I accepted violence wasn't necessary and I used alternative methods. I have friends who spank and whip and their kids do the same things mine do.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
And there it is.

Yeah, I gotta have kids so I can know the pleasure of hitting them. Excuse me, spanking them. Adrian Peterson has several kids, and look at what he did. This "you have no kids" thing is the ultimate cop out. I have been watching my nieces and nephew for 16 years now. Never had to or needed to spank them once. Just remove it from your toolbox. It's amazing what you can accomplish without hitting. And theres no guilt afterward I'm sure a lot feel for it deep down. Words and tone can go a long way imo. But hey - I have no kids so what do I know. I need to have kids like Peterson then I can comment I guess.. lol

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Sometimes when my children are wound up and need something to grab their attention, I'll grip their neck from behind and give it a quick squeeze. It's not painful, just uncomfortable and attention grabbing.

My kid was talking in class and the teacher told her she was going to speak with me. My little one said "Please don't, he'll choke me!"

That was an interesting conversation with the school.

How proud you must be.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's true. It's impossible to prove because we aren't going to do experiments on humans. But the violence studies cut through socio / economic lines.

In the end, for me, I accepted violence wasn't necessary and I used alternative methods. I have friends who spank and whip and their kids do the same things mine do.
Yeah. When my son was young I would spank him if he repeatedly disobeyed me. But, I stopped when he was relatively young. Firstly, I felt like total crap anytime I did it. Secondly, I thought it was a relatively thoughtless way of handling things.
Some kids are almost impossible to handle in other ways, my son was not. I really dont think there is any "golden" way with almost anything but something as variable as raising kids....the one thing I think is pretty universal is certain things are just plain wrong. I think Petersons' actions fall into that category.

RamzFanz

Damnit
How proud you must be.

I am. When a child is about to make a really stupid mistake like trying to skateboard for the first time without a helmet and aren't heeding your warning, you escalate your reaction to whatever is necessary to protect them. It's not a punishment or anger, it's "hey, you've tuned me out and you need to hear".

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, I gotta have kids so I can know the pleasure of hitting them. Excuse me, spanking them. Adrian Peterson has several kids, and look at what he did. This "you have no kids" thing is the ultimate cop out. I have been watching my nieces and nephew for 16 years now. Never had to or needed to spank them once. Just remove it from your toolbox. It's amazing what you can accomplish without hitting. And theres no guilt afterward I'm sure a lot feel for it deep down. Words and tone can go a long way imo. But hey - I have no kids so what do I know. I need to have kids like Peterson then I can comment I guess.. lol
The "you dont have kids, you have do whatever it is" therefore you cannot comment, I tend to agree with you.
Following that logic the ONLY people who can comment on foreign policy regarding the military are those that have served....the only ones who can be allowed to comment on relationships are those that have been married....the only ones who should comment on football are those that have played professional football. You get my point.
We are all allowed to have opinions ect on any subject regardless of our experience. However, I can have all the opinions I want....and back up those opinions with studies, facts, logic ect., regarding, say, warfare, but, I have never walked in those shoes. Someone who has been there done that, their opinion carries a little more weight.
Knowing kids is not raising kids.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Dont disagree....although, it sort of begs a question about everyone being so quick to take away someones livelihood. To put things in another context, if he was a plumber or a truck driver who the first thought be to take his job away?
I dont see the connection. Punishment, sure, suspension, ok I suppose. All charges and crimes are not equal. Jumping to the "kick him out of the league" default setting after every incident seems goofy to me.

We aren't his employers and he his a very highly compensated person in an important position.

If he were working for Boeing, was an extremely visible person, a face of the company, was highly compensated and this indictment came out publicly and he admitted guilt, wouldn't they fire him? Would he be employable at that level again in the aerospace industry?

I don't see whipping your child as any different than whipping a child on the street. Just as I don't see beating your wife as any different. At some point, they have to start being treated like everyone else.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I am. When a child is about to make a really stupid mistake like trying to skateboard for the first time without a helmet and aren't heeding your warning, you escalate your reaction to whatever is necessary to protect them. It's not a punishment or anger, it's "hey, you've tuned me out and you need to hear".

Okay, all I can do is just to say what I would do. You can tune me out and I won't grab your neck LOL

If I were you, I'd apologize to all of them for choking or hitting them and tell them you'll never do it again. Then try a different path. Learn about the non-aggression principle and follow it yourself and explain to them that's what you're going to be following. This will actually intrigue them and probably make them happier. I'd teach them about the non-aggression principle and encourage them to read about it and follow it. Motivating young-un's to learn things themselves is huge. From what I've seen anyway. Let them come to correct conclusions from research and study using logic and philosophy. This will naturally lead to more thoughtful and intelligent kids. Although I warn you they will become anti-state... lol

Over time though.. they'll voluntary and logically choose to be good kids on their own because it's who they were born to be anyway, as we all were.

JMO

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is like a therapy session for anyone over about 40 years old regarding the old days of punishment by our parents. I'll tell you what though, I recall in the old days, if Mrs. Jones caught you taking an apple off her tree, she would grab you by the earlobe, take you to your doorstep, knock on the door and when Dad answered the door and got hold of you, you never took anything without permission again!

fearsomefour

Legend
We aren't his employers and he his a very highly compensated person in an important position.

If he were working for Boeing, was an extremely visible person, a face of the company, was highly compensated and this indictment came out publicly and he admitted guilt, wouldn't they fire him? Would he be employable at that level again in the aerospace industry?

I don't see whipping your child as any different than whipping a child on the street. Just as I don't see beating your wife as any different. At some point, they have to start being treated like everyone else.
I guess we are saying the same thing two different ways.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Okay, all I can do is just to say what I would do. You can tune me out and I won't grab your neck LOL

If I were you, I'd apologize to all of them for choking or hitting them and tell them you'll never do it again. Then try a different path. Learn about the non-aggression principle and follow it yourself and explain to them that's what you're going to be following. This will actually intrigue them and probably make them happier. I'd teach them about the non-aggression principle and encourage them to read about it and follow it. Motivating young-un's to learn things themselves is huge. From what I've seen anyway. Let them come to correct conclusions from research and study using logic and philosophy. This will naturally lead to more thoughtful and intelligent kids. Although I warn you they will become anti-state... lol

Over time though.. they'll voluntary and logically choose to be good kids on their own because it's who they were born to be anyway, as we all were.

JMO

You missed my point. I didn't choke them, that was just the word she knew. I held her from behind by her neck and gave it a squeeze that woke her up to the danger. Not the front of the neck, the back. If you think you'll never have to aggressively grab or pull your child to keep them from doing something very stupid, you will learn.

Several years ago I caught my 5 year old sending my 3 year old and our dog down their slide in a wagon. They were too excited to hear me. Good kids can tune out their parents voices. It doesn't mean you just let them do what they are doing.