8to12 Let's make a deal Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Roster Cuts:
R. Saffold
A. Donnal
D. Rhaney
J. Brown
EJ Gaines
E. Sims
L. Kendricks

Resign:
Trumaine Johnson: 4 years 38-Mil

Restructure:
M. Barron
M. Brockers

Free Agency signings:
WR- Desean Jackson 2 years 18-mil
CB- Logan Ryan 4 years 26-mil
Edge- Chandler Jones 4 years 48-mil
Guard- Kevin Zeitler 3 years 7.5-mil
DT- Alan Branch 2 years 7-mil
S/CB- Micah Hyde 4 years 24-mil
TE- Logan Paulson 2 years 3.5-mil

Pre-Draft Trade: Jets trade 3rd round pick, #70 overall, to Rams for Tavon Austin

Pre-draft Trade: Cowboys trade 2nd round pick, #60 overall, to Rams for Robert Quinn

Draft:
Trade: Rams trade up with Bears for their 2nd Rnd (#36), giving up 2nd Rnd (#63 from Cowboys) and 3rd Rnd (#69 Rams)

2nd Rnd - #36 Adoree Jackson CB / RTN USC

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHWtbPxDh4

- Rams get CB / Returner that can take over the Slot corner.
Note: the Tavon trade made sense because he is not a true receiver on offense. He is just a gadget player that doesn't generate enough points on the scorebaord to justify his contract. And, Jackson may be a better returner.

Trade: Rams trade down with Saints ; giving Saints 2nd Rnd (#37) and receiving Saints 2nd (#42) and Saints 4th Rnd (#116)

2nd Rnd - #42 Pat Elflein Center Ohio State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLv0J9Y_Ec

Rams get arguably the best Center in the draft. Elflein excels at run blocking. He will be the first step in increasing Gurley's yards per carry.

3rd Rnd - #70 (from Jets) Haason Reddick OLB / Edge Temple

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76cLlT_kE0

Reddick is my favorite player so far this off season. His speed off the edge and his pursuit across the field is impressive. He played End at Temple, but will play OLB with the Base 4-3 set, and he can play Outside Edge rusher when the Rams go to a 3-4 look.

4th Rnd - #110 Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_80fL6OfY

Best all around receiver available at this point of the draft. Will make us forget about Quick & Britt.

4th Rnd- #116 (from Saints) Avery Gennesy OT Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFA2-UCYDPg

Tackle with quick feet, Should be able to compete with Robinson @ LOT.

4th Rnd - #139 (Comp) Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqQROe8o2U

Arguably the best blocking TE in the Draft, which is why I selected him. And, as you can see in his highlites, the man can move and catch. Playing with Hunter Henry last season (2015), Sprinkle had 27 cathes for 389 yards and 6 TD's. Not bad production for the 2nd TE. He will help the Rams running game.

5th Rnd - #158 Nazair Jones DT North Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQmZ8tCJ90

Jones will make a good rotational DT that is string against the Run. He can spell Brockers in the 4-3, or he can play DE in a 3-4 front.

6th Rnd - #190 John Johnson Safety / CB Boston College

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLLva1Cd5U

A D-back with size (6'1") and reach that is very good in coverage and has decent range playing Safety.

Trade: Rams trade up with Vikings ; Rams send 6th Rnd (#220) and 7th Rnd #226 for the Vikings pick in 6th Rnd (#200)

6th Rnd - #200 Des Lawrence CB North Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI9bfSlQ-lQ

Lawrence has good size (6'1" , 190 lbs ) , he's aggressive in coverage and has a swagger similar to what I see in Jenoris Jenkins.

Summary:

Defense- the goal was to upgrade the Secondary without losing any production from the front 7. Replacing oft-injured Quinn with Chandler Jones will give DC Phillips more flexibility in his fronts and options to create pressure. Moving Joyner to FS so he can keep everything in front of him will improve his value. Adding Micah Hyde makes the Rams secondary as good as the Seahawks or Cardinals.

4-3 : 3-4 front 7 option
RDE- Chandler Jones ROLB- C. Jones
DT- Donald RDE- N. Jones
DT- Brockers NT- Alan Branch
LDE- Hayes LDE- Hayes
SLB- Haason Reddick LOLB- H. Reddick
MLB- Ogletree ILB - Ogletree
WLB- Barron ILB- J. Forrest
LCB- T. Johnson
Slot- Adoree Jackson / Hyde
RCB- Logan Ryan
SS- Alexander
FS- Joyner / Hyde

Offense: Increasing the yards per carry in the Run game and improving the protection for Goff is the main focus. We bring in Desean Jackson and Logan Paulson that know McVay's system to help bring along the younger guys. The receiving corps will stay young with Jackson being the leader.

WR- D. Jackson

TE- Higbee / Sprinkle
RT- Havenstein
RG- Wichman --------- RB- Gurley
C- Elflein --------- QB - Goff
LG- Zeitler ---------- H-back- Harkey
LT- Robinson / Gennesy

Slot- P. Cooper

WR- M. Thomas / C. Kupp

( Barnes swing C / OG )
( Gennesy swing OG / OT )

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Our future HoF not on the field in our 3-4 look? :thinking:

I'd happily trade TA if we got Jackson. Kid makes play after play after play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like it on paper. I'd need to look into some of the draft positions of some of the players to be sure though. Like a 4th seems low for Kupp and does Dez go that late?

TexasRam

Legend
LT- Robinson / Gennesy

tumblr_msmkosiF5f1sr39gto1_400.gif

forgetthis.gif

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it on paper. I'd need to look into some of the draft positions of some of the players to be sure though. Like a 4th seems low for Kupp and does Dez go that late?

Yeah, I'm strechin' it thinking that Kupp would last to the 4th round. But, Des Lawrence has been falling in the 5 - 7 range in most data bases I've frequented.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cutting Jamon Brown? He was a 3rd round pick just two years ago and showed signs his rookie year...good depth if nothing else, and saves virtually nothing by cutting him. Same for Donnal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like the cut list at all. You don't cut E.J. Gaines, Andrew Donnal, and Jamon Brown when they're on cheap contracts. They cost us nothing. You'd replace them with guys who cost just as much. Those moves save us no money and likely make this team worse off. At minimum, you bring those guys into camp.

I am not a fan of the trades either. I don't think that's nearly enough to entertain trading Robert Quinn, and I don't see any team giving us a 3rd for Austin (especially not the Jets when they have no QB).

We should not be restructuring contracts. There's absolutely no reason to push money into the future. We have plenty of money now. That's how you put yourself in cap hell. We have a lot of cap flexibility.

Getting to the draft, I think we can do better than Adoree Jackson at the top of the 2nd. I'm not a huge fan of Reddick's fit in our scheme. I don't think he's an impact pass rusher at the NFL level. Avery Gennesy is not a NFL OT. He measured in at 6'3" ~300 pounds with fairly short arms. He doesn't have the length and strength to stick outside.

I'm sorry to be so critical. I know you spent a lot of time and effort on this. I appreciate the originality. It's nice to see new takes. Just not my cup of tea.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, there's zero chance that Jones or Hayes is getting on the field over Donald in a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, or any other defensive front.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

No intention to keep Donald off the field..... I should have mentioned that the "3-4 option" was something to be used when possibly rotating players. If you noticed, Donald rotated alot with Cam Thomas and Easley during the season. But, then I didn't have C. Jones or Hayes coming off in the 3-4, so I didn't put alot of thought into it. I was just suggesting a front that would be possible with that particular group of players.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I don't like the cut list at all. You don't cut E.J. Gaines, Andrew Donnal, and Jamon Brown when they're on cheap contracts. They cost us nothing. You'd replace them with guys who cost just as much. Those moves save us no money and likely make this team worse off. At minimum, you bring those guys into camp.

I am not a fan of the trades either. I don't think that's nearly enough to entertain trading Robert Quinn, and I don't see any team giving us a 3rd for Austin (especially not the Jets when they have no QB).

We should not be restructuring contracts. There's absolutely no reason to push money into the future. We have plenty of money now. That's how you put yourself in cap hell. We have a lot of cap flexibility.

Getting to the draft, I think we can do better than Adoree Jackson at the top of the 2nd. I'm not a huge fan of Reddick's fit in our scheme. I don't think he's an impact pass rusher at the NFL level. Avery Gennesy is not a NFL OT. He measured in at 6'3" ~300 pounds with fairly short arms. He doesn't have the length and strength to stick outside.

I'm sorry to be so critical. I know you spent a lot of time and effort on this. I appreciate the originality. It's nice to see new takes. Just not my cup of tea.

@jrry32, thank you for taking the time to read and acknowledging the work on my Mock. Your thoughts are much appreciated. My responses below .....

1) Cuts: I see your point about Donnal and Brown being cheap. I would take your advice and bring Brown to Camp and let him compete. However, after seeing the team alot up close this past year, I'm not bringing Donnal back for the pure reason he is just not good enough. He doesn't have a large enough base for Guard and he lacks strength for the inside, and his feet are too slow to play Tackle. Regarding Gaines, I think he's average. Considering the FA acquisitions I had in my Mock, and my preference for "long" CB's, he would be a cut at some point.

2) Trades: I'm not opinionated on it other than to say that, IMO, Quinn has peaked. I don't think he will ever get back to where he was a couple of seasons ago. In comparison, Chandler Jones seems to be reaching his full potential.

3) Restructuring: your point is well taken. I did not put enough though into it. I was shooting for the Moon with all my FA acquisitions and thought I would have to move some money around to accommodate.

4) Draft: I agree, you can probably do better at the top of the Second for just a pure CB. However, It's LA, Stan needs players to help put people in the seats and Adoree is one of those players.
Regarding Reddick, I see him being a key figure in Phillip's system as a stand up End. Last, Avery Gennesy ..... are you sure you're not thinking of another player? I've checked about 6 different sites and he is listed at 6'5", between 305 and 310 lbs. And, per Richmond Webb, "...Great feet and long arms.."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, I'm strechin' it thinking that Kupp would last to the 4th round. But, Des Lawrence has been falling in the 5 - 7 range in most data bases I've frequented.

At first reaction I thought there is no way Kupp goes that low, but didn't T.Y. Hilton get drafted in round 4? He had a pretty good college career too. So, I guess it is possible.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32, thank you for taking the time to read and acknowledging the work on my Mock. Your thoughts are much appreciated. My responses below .....

1) Cuts: I see your point about Donnal and Brown being cheap. I would take your advice and bring Brown to Camp and let him compete. However, after seeing the team alot up close this past year, I'm not bringing Donnal back for the pure reason he is just not good enough. He doesn't have a large enough base for Guard and he lacks strength for the inside, and his feet are too slow to play Tackle. Regarding Gaines, I think he's average. Considering the FA acquisitions I had in my Mock, and my preference for "long" CB's, he would be a cut at some point.

I agree about Donnal, but you bring him into camp.

You don't cut Gaines. He's on a 6th round pick contract. He's great depth to have. I don't want to see guys like Mike Jordan and Troy Hill in the game again when we suffer injuries.

2) Trades: I'm not opinionated on it other than to say that, IMO, Quinn has peaked. I don't think he will ever get back to where he was a couple of seasons ago. In comparison, Chandler Jones seems to be reaching his full potential.

Quinn is a better player than Jones when healthy. But I understand the concerns about health. If I were to trade Quinn, though, I'm not accepting less than mid-first round value. Second round value for a pass rusher like Quinn is nowhere near enough for me to even ponder it.

3) Restructuring: your point is well taken. I did not put enough though into it. I was shooting for the Moon with all my FA acquisitions and thought I would have to move some money around to accommodate.

I doubt it. Trading Austin and Quinn opens up a lot of money (if we trade Austin before his roster bonus is paid).

4) Draft: I agree, you can probably do better at the top of the Second for just a pure CB. However, It's LA, Stan needs players to help put people in the seats and Adoree is one of those players.
Regarding Reddick, I see him being a key figure in Phillip's system as a stand up End. Last, Avery Gennesy ..... are you sure you're not thinking of another player? I've checked about 6 different sites and he is listed at 6'5", between 305 and 310 lbs. And, per Richmond Webb, "...Great feet and long arms.."

You put butts in the seats by winning. You win by drafting the best players. Adoree Jackson shouldn't be our pick for novelty reasons.

Reddick doesn't have the length or power game to be an impact NFL rusher imo.

Avery Gennesy is at the Shrine Game, here are the measurements:
http://images.performgroup.com/di/l..._1jybojegdfstz1t84j7zgri42n.png?t=-1378521119
http://images.performgroup.com/di/l...7_1krndpxeyq4jyz8dp023d10s8.png?t=-1378677759
As you can see, Gennesy measured in at 6'3" 308 with 33 inch arms and 8.75 inch hands. That's too small to play OT, especially with his functional strength issues. My bet is that he's drafted by a ZBS team to play OG.