5 players the Rams must move on from in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
5 players the Rams must move on from in 2016

Few teams need a fresh start as much as the Los Angeles Rams, who have gone 12 consecutive seasons without posting a winning record. The franchise will have a different look on the surface with the relocation from St. Louis to the West Coast.

By Tom Torrisi
Jan 20, 2016 at 4:00p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...players-012016?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed

Few teams need a fresh start as much as the Los Angeles Rams, who have gone 12 consecutive seasons without posting a winning record. The franchise will have a different look on the surface with the relocation from St. Louis to the West Coast.

Now it's time for the Rams to overhaul the product on the field and address changes to the roster. Here are five players the Rams need to move on from in 2016.

1. Jared Cook

Cook was drafted by Jeff Fisher in 2009 with Tennesee and lured to St. Louis in 2013 with a five-year, $35 million contract as a free agent. The tight end had the least productive of his three seasons with the Rams in 2015, catching 39 passes and failing to get into the end zone for the first time since his rookie year. A dreadful offense and woeful quarterback play had a lot to do with the dwindling numbers of Cook, who has scored in only two of his last 32 games and has a history of costly dropped passes. The team also also a decent investment in former second-rounder Lance Kendricks (2016 cap hit of $4.5 million), whose receptions have dipped in each of the last three seasons. With Cook signed through 2017 and owning a cap hit of $8.3 million for 2016, it would be prudent for Fisher to finally sever ties with the veteran tight end.

2. Chris Long

The most difficult decision facing the Rams is how to handle Long, who started every game in his first six seasons after he was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 draft and averaged double-digit sacks from 2010-13. Long, who will turn 31 in March, is entering the final year of his contract and has a cap number of $14.25 million for 2016. That's enough to give the team pause after injuries forced the star defensive end to miss 14 games over the past two seasons. Of course, fellow defensive end Robert Quinn also had his season cut short by injury and backup William Hayes is an unrestricted free agent, so depth at the position is an issue. Long has an exceptional track record of charitable work in the City of St. Louis, but the relocation of the franchise and so many other roster needs could make him expendable.

3. Rodger Saffold

Much like Long, talent is not the issue with Saffold but health is a major concern. After he was re-signed to a five-year contract in March 2014, Saffold injured his left shoulder in his first season but played through it before undergoing surgery in January 2015. The right guard suffered an injury to his right shoulder in Week 5 and was placed on injured reserve in mid-October before undergoing season-ending surgery. Although he's the team's best offensive lineman, Saffold is coming off a pair of shoulder surgeries and has a cap hit of $5.6 million for 2016. Fisher invested heavily in offensive linemen in 2015, drafting four in the first six rounds. Saffold is expected to be 100 percent by February or March so the key date is March 18. If the Rams release Saffold by then, they will pick up $3 million in cap space.

4. Kenny Britt

Part of Tennessee's 2009 draft class with Cook, Britt parlayed a career-high 48 receptions with the Rams in 2014 into a two-year deal worth $9.15 million. Although he averaged a career-best 18.9 yards per catch this in 2015, Britt saw his total dip to 36 receptions for the season, hauling in more than three passes only twice in 16 games. Here's the rub for the Rams - they are desperate for wide receivers after averaging a league-worst 175.3 yards passing, but Britt has never lived up to his first-round promise. Britt's cap hit for 2016 is $4.85 million, not a bargain considering he has 84 receptions for 1,429 yard and six touchdowns over the past two seasons - numbers that were topped by five wideouts in 2015 alone.

5. Akeem Ayers

No player was more excited by the Rams' relocation than fifth-year linebacker Ayers, who grew up in Los Angeles and went to UCLA. Another draft choice of Fisher with the Titans, Ayers' career has been marked by inconsistency. He had a career-best six sacks in his second season and added four more in nine games after he was traded from Tennessee to the New England Patriots in 2014. Ayers is not cost-prohibitive, signing a two-year deal worth $6 million in March 2015, but he managed only a half-sack and was part of the problem as the team struggled against the Rams as the season progressed. He's serviceable, but the Rams need more of a playmaker on the outside.

*All salary cap information comes from spotrac.com.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Disagree on Britt, however, I have two more players to add to the list:
  1. Nick Foles
  2. Case Keenum

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Keep C Long if he takes a huge paycut, but add JL to that list and get a physical MLB.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Is this right??

Another draft choice of Fisher with the Titans, Ayers'

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tom has a curious name missing from his list....but on to these players listed.
Ayers wasn't ASKED to blitz...and was removed from the field earlier in the season. Typically, players take a few games to adjust to Williams system....and his contract is team friendly....Why move on from him?
Britt gets no love for terrible QB play. He also has a team friendly deal....Makes no sense.
C Long...tough one...but I believe as a leader he deserves a chance to renegotiate his contract, if not...Damn, I must agree...
Saffold's contract is also team friendly...Meaning, we can cut him with little dead money. However, I'd like to see how he returns from his 100th surgery. Maybe the doctors got it right, plus I can never say get rid of linemen that can actually play a lil bit.
Cook....in the same boat as Britt to me...with a few more drops...Unless we draft a sure handed TE (like that guy from East Carolina...Love Butts but he's staying at Mich.) we need to keep him...I said it..Keep Cook for one more season...but please draft a real TE...the kind with sure hands...

fearsomefour

Legend
All depends on cap space.
I disagree about Saffold if there is space. Restructure Long or see ya.
Foles should go too.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'd take Ayers and Britt out, add JL to that list though.

Also he got Ayers all fucked up, saying Fisher drafted him and this...

"Ayers is not cost-prohibitive, signing a two-year deal worth $6 million in March 2015, but he managed only a half-sack and was part of the problem as the team struggled against the Rams as the season progressed"

What? He was part of the problem why we struggled aginst the Rams?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'd take Ayers and Britt out, add JL to that list though.

Also he got Ayers all freaked up, saying Fisher drafted him and this...

"Ayers is not cost-prohibitive, signing a two-year deal worth $6 million in March 2015, but he managed only a half-sack and was part of the problem as the team struggled against the Rams as the season progressed"

What? He was part of the problem why we struggled aginst the Rams?
He probably meant against the run. But I agree this dude high as fuck.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Only if he has great material movement and coverage skills, which are more important in Williams defenses.
There's a few coming out in this draft,Smith,Ragland,Wright to name a few.All of these LB'ers would do better than JL imho.As far as the leadership role I think Donald and or Quinn can handle that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My Top 5 RAM move on's

#1-TE Jared Cook-
I can not see any Ram fan that wants to pay him 16.7 million the next two seasons. Save the Cap Space! Go get Zack Miiler or Ben Watson or Coby Flenner.

#2-DE Chris Long- No way you do not release him if not you will pay him over 14.2 million to play here in 2016 season. Long has very little upside & is in decline. Cap $$ needs to be utilized elsewhere for playmakers.

#3-MLB James Laurinaitis - Noone with a working brain cell would say that JL is worth paying him his 15 million to be our MLB'er the next two seasons. Better to keep the 26 yr old Akeem Ayers & pay him his pennies. Ayers was hardly utilized this past season. If you release JL & loose Mark Barron you better have Ayers here. Oh JL is our major weak link in our D.

#4- OL'er Rodger Saffold- 6.2 million??? really Jamon Brown & Garrett Reynolds both outplayed Saffold @ OG last season & I would say Cody Wichmann soon to be as good. The only legit reason in keeping NFL's most injured OL'er is..... if you will start him @ OLT & bench GRob.

#5- QB Nick Foles- Rams will need to keep 3 QB's on the master roster due to using a First Round #15 draft selection on either (Goff/ Wentz/ Lynch) and the 2nd yr 3rd rd pick last yr QB Sean Mannion. The 3rd QB must be able to start until one of the two younger QB's are ready. Foles roster spot is needed for that UNKNOWN opening season QB.

I am solid @ keeping WR Kenny Britt! Rams WR cadre is empty. Its a very poor yr for UFA's & WR's.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
There's a few coming out in this draft,Smith,Ragland,Wright to name a few.All of these LB'ers would do better than JL imho.As far as the leadership role I think Donald and or Quinn can handle that.

Smith I would take even if he is going to miss the first 8-12 weeks as long as I keep JL. Wright has not proved he can stay healthy in college. Ragland's deficit movement skills which were highlighted against Clemson make him a poor fit for the MLB role in Williams defense. He is a 3-4 ILB not a 4-3 MLB.