OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It's NEVER too early to talk about the Draft!!
I, for one, am really liking the Center from Minnesota Jerry Michael Schmitz. But I struggle if we should take him with our first pick at 36 or trade down closer to where Kansas City took the Center from Oklahoma who shall not be named as to reduce the inflammation levels of perpetually incensed Rams fans.

~ArkyRamsFan~
But but I like to be incensed
the office rage GIF

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I realize it's probably far fetched the Rams wouldn't draft an OL early but I'd love me some Darnell Washington for TE.

TE - Edge - RB - OL

On the unforgiving fanbase, I know I'll never forgive the Rams for winning the SB without Humphrey!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I realize it's probably far fetched the Rams wouldn't draft an OL early but I'd love me some Darnell Washington for TE.

TE - Edge - RB - OL

On the unforgiving fanbase, I know I'll never forgive the Rams for winning the SB without Humphrey!!!
Blythe LOVER!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's NEVER too early to talk about the Draft!!
I, for one, am really liking the Center from Minnesota Jerry Michael Schmitz. But I struggle if we should take him with our first pick at 36 or trade down closer to where Kansas City took the Center from Oklahoma who shall not be named as to reduce the inflammation levels of perpetually incensed Rams fans.

~ArkyRamsFan~

John Michael Schmitz can’t be Rams’ next Creed Humphrey

The Rams can’t afford to pass on John Michael Schmitz
usa_today_19344212.0.jpg

It’s a tale as old as time at this point. Heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams needed a center. However, with the 52nd overall pick, it seemed unlikely that the top center options would fall that far in the second round.

Somehow, pick by by, Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey started to slide. The Philadelphia Eagles selected Landon Dickerson, the Chicago Bears took tackle Tevin Jenkins, and the Seattle Seahawks at 51 took D’Wayne Eskridge one pick before the Rams.

Humphrey had performed extremely well in the Senior Bowl, catching eyes of scouts and media who were in attendance. It seemed like a sure thing that he would go at the top of the second round.

Yet, when the Rams got on the clock with the 57th overall pick, there he was available for the taking.

Heading into the 2021 season, the Rams needed a center. They opted not to bring back Austin Blythe in free agency, leaving Brian Allen as the only legitimate center option. Allen had spent most of the 2019 and 2020 seasons injured. There was also some discussion on moving Austin Corbett to center — a position that he had played with the Cleveland Browns. Both options had their own set of risks.

There was little doubt that the Rams needed a more stable option at center, if not for 2021, then moving forward into the next three to five years.

Then, the pick came through.

“With the 52nd overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select Chatarious Atwell, wide receiver, Lousville.”

TuTu Atwell was a 5’8 wide receiver that had weighed in at just 149 pounds at the NFL Combine. However, at the same combine he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash to help him shoot up draft boards. A potential fourth round pick earned his way into the second round.

Les Snead and the Rams had done this dance before. In 2012, Tavon Austin was considered a second-round pick before running a 4.34 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. The Rams traded up and selected him with the eighth overall pick.

While Atwell only played 10 snaps on offense as a rookie, Humphrey was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs and was named to the PFWA All-Rookie team. This past season he made his first Pro Bowl.

The Chiefs went into the 2021 offseason needing to rebuild their offensive line following the disaster that occurred in the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Along with a trade for Orlando Brown, Humphrey helped transform the Chiefs offensive line almost immediately.

Now, heading into the 2023 offseason, the Rams once again need a center. Allen has gone into a season as a starter three times and has ended up on injured reserve twice. He’s never played a full season without getting hurt.

When Allen went down last year in Week 1, the Rams were forced to move Coleman Shelton, the starting right guard, to center. Not only were the Rams losing one at injured starter at one position, they were losing a healthy starter at a second position. That shuffling along the offensive line became a common theme.

While the Rams won the Super Bowl the year after passing on Humphrey, they are feeling the repercussions of that decision now.

After the disaster that was the 2022 season on the offensive line, the Rams absolutely cannot put their eggs in the health basket, especially when it comes to Allen.

If the Rams are going to get the most out of Matthew Stafford, they need to be able to keep him upright and healthy. It’s true for all quarterbacks, but looking at the chart below, the difference in Stafford’s level with and without protection is pretty obvious

The Rams need to rebuild part of the offensive line this offseason. Outside of Rob Havenstein starting at right tackle, everything should be on the table. That starts with building up the interior and finding an elite center.

Heading into this draft process, there’s another center who’s drawing comparisons to Humphrey. That player is John Michael Schmitz out of Minnesota. Schmitz was Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded college center, recording the highest run-blocking grade. Among centers with over 700 snaps, he only allowed eight pressures last season at Minnesota which was the 13th fewest in all of college football.

This is a player that can transform an offensive line. As the Rams experienced with John Sullivan early in the McVay era and with Brian Allen in 2021 to an extent, it’s so important to have a center that can provide stability.

The Rams currently hold the 36th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. Schmitz improved his draft stock during the Senior Bowl, but there’s still a pretty good chance that he’s available with the Rams get on the clock.

There are other potential needs at wide receiver as the Rams could use an option behind Cooper Kupp or even running back as there are questions about Cam Akers. However, in the NFL, it all starts up front along the offensive line.

In both years that the Rams have had an elite offensive line under Sean McVay, they’ve made the Super Bowl. If John Michael Schmitz is available with the 36th overall pick, Snead and the Rams can’t make the same mistake that they did with Creed Humphrey.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Bonifay,
I actually read that article several days ago and while I agree with much of it's premises, I still wonder if taking Schmitz at 36 might be a bit high as it seems like the league is inundated with Centers from the middle rounds and such.
OTOH if we were to miss out on this dude I would be quite unhappy, so there's that...

~ArkyRamsFan~

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay,
I actually read that article several days ago and while I agree with much of it's premises, I still wonder if taking Schmitz at 36 might be a bit high as it seems like the league is inundated with Centers from the middle rounds and such.
OTOH if we were to miss out on this dude I would be quite unhappy, so there's that...

~ArkyRamsFan~
My position is if you have immediate needs in your OL as the Rams most certainly do then & "waiting for the draft to come to you" is your GM's operational process you will be drafting "TuTu type" draft selection prospects for eternity.

You should also expect that your team's fielded OL will have numerous Gapping Holes & your starting QB needs to be a very quick RB with some slight arm talent.

OL'ers fresh out of college ready to begin to earn & contribute early in their NFL 4 yr contracts are very scarce & infrequent. Most drafted OL'ers just begin to discover & learn what's needed to start at the same time they are about to conclude their 4 yr contract.

If I have described your draft operation above.......:thinking: then it best to draft "ALL DEFENCE Players" on days 1 & 2 then go get yourself some RB's on day 3.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My position is if you have immediate needs in your OL as the Rams most certainly do then & "waiting for the draft to come to you" is your GM's operational process you will be drafting "TuTu type" draft selection prospects for eternity.

You should also expect that your team's fielded OL will have numerous Gapping Holes & your starting QB needs to be a very quick RB with some slight arm talent.

OL'ers fresh out of college ready to begin to earn & contribute early in their NFL 4 yr contracts are very scarce & infrequent. Most drafted OL'ers just begin to discover & learn whats needed to start at the same time they are about to conclude their 4 yr contract.
We have immediate needs at OLB and CB and Safety (imo) as well. Tunnelling in on one of those needs only and not taking the best player at the best position of need could be just as big of a mistake as anything.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have immediate needs at OLB and CB and Safety (imo) as well. Tunnelling in on one of those needs only and not taking the best player at the best position of need could be just as big of a mistake as anything.
Go tell that to #9 as you're trying to talk him from retirement.

On the flip side, you will usually get much better dividends on the defense & much faster if you did draft edge, CB, or pass-rushing DL'er. So there is merit in your thoughts here.;)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah BPA and strict adherence to the board has to be the plan here. But what Snead/McVay do is move up or down until the guy they target is a good value, by using their board. So boil it all down and the key is hitting on the pick vice getting all tunnel-visioned in on some wideout who is a one trick pony. We badly need an impact player with that first pick.

For those who have been looking at the RBs (I have only had time to delve into DBs so far) who is the most physical runner in this draft, because that there is my huckleberry. And also who do you think is the best FB in this draft who can also maybe catch the ball a bit and factor in to the pass game, because that would be a requirement for McVay. Lastly if there's a guy who can do both then there is an interesting pick potentially for the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go tell that to #9 as you're trying to talk him from retirement.

On the flip side, you will usually get much better dividends on the defense & much faster if you did draft edge, CB, or pass-rushing DL'er. So there is merit in your thoughts here.;)
I'm curious how often the first player drafted at a position like Guard or strong safety say even center is the best player from that draft at that position.

Lets say this assuming just 1 third

2nd Ojulari Edge
3rd Luke Wypler C
4th Kyu Blue Kelly CB

We end up upgrading two starters with our first two picks and add a good CB with our comp in the 4th. We add in a pass rusher like Ojulari you can allow your CB's to play more aggressive and the defense is better for it. With Durant, Rochell Kelly and Kendricks (who will be much better outside of the softer scheme we had this year due to no pass rush) you have a very good secondary. Add in safety and TE help in the 5th and it looks like a good draft to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah BPA and strict adherence to the board has to be the plan here. But what Snead/McVay do is move up or down until the guy they target is a good value, by using their board. So boil it all down and the key is hitting on the pick vice getting all tunnel-visioned in on some wideout who is a one trick pony. We badly need an impact player with that first pick.

For those who have been looking at the RBs (I have only had time to delve into DBs so far) who is the most physical runner in this draft, because that there is my huckleberry. And also who do you think is the best FB in this draft who can also maybe catch the ball a bit and factor in to the pass game, because that would be a requirement for McVay. Lastly if there's a guy who can do both then there is an interesting pick potentially for the Rams.
I'm looking at guys like Eric Gray, Roshon Johnson and Israel Abikanda early day 3 for RB. Just my short list.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know the BPA approach is the given method but I just can’t get passed figuring need as at least as important as guessing who is BPA.

If BPA is a position we are flush at, they better be a 1st game starter and 10 year plug and play guy.

The Rams need help in the trenches, maybe on both sides of the ball. While Schmitz is ranked #1 Center is he really going to be much better than any of the top 5 or 6? Avila and Stromberg look like they might be good fits too, even if it takes a year to get up to speed.

There are some really good looking players coming out at Edge that might tempt the Rams to take a different position with their first pick. I’d rather see them take an Edge that can step right in, Tyree Wilson looks like that kind of play maker.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seems we have been discussing this on an annual basis here.

Most years I am all in on drafting Pass Rushers (OLB/DE/DT) or taller outside ball-skilled corners on the first & second days of the draft!

In the past few drafts, I keep reminding myself ....what position the Ram Org has placed most of its team assets {Draft Assets & Salary cap $$$} investments at this time. How do we keep him healthy & doing what he does best?

Then next my priority is on offensive-minded McVay as the HC & trying to keep him here......you better keep that QB protected!

Appears that McVay has made 3 poor OL investments with the trio of 4yr OL'ers Noteboom/Allen/Shelton last year at this time. The best of the trio was the cheapest Shelton, who might enter free Agency this time next month. Looking back I was under the impression that McVay had done a great job in signing them so go figure.

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Isn’t the idea of a rookie OL (center to boot) starting day 1 for a SB contending team a bit rare? Also a bit of a concern for Stafford coming off injuries.

I’d think he’d feel better having someone experienced (whether that be internal or via FA) as his center day 1.

Unless that OC at 36 is a guaranteed day 1 stud starter, I’d rather get a OC between 3-5 rounds and let him learn his way. While having an experienced guy helm OC next year. At 36, I’d rather get an Edge that can start day 1. Those guys cost way more to get in FA. Heck, even a CB at 36.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems we have been discussing this on an annual basis here.

Most years I am all in on drafting Pass Rushers (OLB/DE/DT) or taller outside ball-skilled corners on the first & second days of the draft! But if we have a DC who is like Morris why bother?

In the past few drafts, I keep reminding myself ....what position the Ram Org has placed most of its team assets {Draft Assets & Salary cap $$$} investments at this time. How do we keep him healthy & doing what he does best?

Then next my priority is on offensive-minded McVay as the HC & trying to keep him here......you better keep that QB protected!

Appears that McVay has made 3 poor OL investments with the trio of 4yr OL'ers Noteboom/Allen/Shelton last year at this time. The best of the trio was the cheapest Shelton, who might enter free Agency this time next month. Looking back I was under the impression that McVay had done a great job in signing them so go figure.
If we give Morris a pass rush is he able to play tighter coverage or not? Did we not see that last year when they added Von? Evidence seems to suggest it will happen.

My favorite part of draft season, and I'm as guilty as the rest of us are, is thinking we know what McVay and Snead think the roster needs. We see it every year and we're likely to continue seeing it that they have a different take on our roster than us.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn’t the idea of a rookie OL (center to boot) starting day 1 for a SB contending team a bit rare? Also a bit of a concern for Stafford coming off injuries.

I’d think he’d feel better having someone experienced (whether that be internal or via FA) as his center day 1.

Unless that OC at 36 is a guaranteed day 1 stud starter, I’d rather get a OC between 3-5 rounds and let him learn his way. While having an experienced guy helm OC next year. At 36, I’d rather get an Edge that can start day 1. Those guys cost way more to get in FA. Heck, even a CB at 36.
Not a rare idea at all. An upgrade is an upgrade and can play regardless of position or tenure.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

pff_mock_results.jpeg

Mocked that without any trades and trying to match value to pick. I would take this in a heartbeat and it's not necessarily the best possible draft result.