2-1 Record & fixing this team's physicality

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at this team there's a lot of hope for us to make some noise this season, given how good the offense has looked thus far. And looking ahead it seems like even if the offense doesn't put up as many points the rest of the way, we do have hope also on the defensive side to see a lot of improvement. So yeah, we're sitting about as good as we could have hoped for, definitely better than I expected overall.

One thing though that I think should help us is that the defense's primary struggle thus far has been their physicality. They are struggling with basic stuff like getting off blocks and contain. Now, granted, that's often a really bad deal, and something that can hang around for the duration of a season defensively, but I don't think it's going to continue. Why not?

Player availability. Too many pieces missed too many snaps in preseason. Donald holding out. Injuries that held guys out. They were disjointed vs the Colts too, looking soft outside of the big turnovers they converted with stuff like a 4.2 ypc for Gore that didn't hurt us because they fell so far behind on the scoreboard. You can see certain things working with Wade's defense like the CBs jumping tendencies outside the hashes and making offenses pay, but they're just not where they need to be yet overall and were exposed badly by a very shrewd mind and offense in Gruden and the Skins.

Basically the 9er game was like preseason game 3 for the entire defense, when you consider it was all of them being together on the field. Also it was a short week, in which they had zero time for pad practices to work the stuff they need to work. Looking at the game result on Thursday night, they surprising did show improvement believe it or not vs the run, to the tune of holding Hyde to under 100 yards at a 3.4 ypc clip. It was of course the passing game that let them down, along with a long list of dumb moves by players.

So looking ahead at a Dallas running game that downright terrifies me personally, Wade has a long window to try to get these guys where they need to be in the front seven. It all starts there IMO, because as that happens Wade's not going to need to crowd the box to keep us from being embarrassed. I'm guessing we're going to see them run some padded practices this week, and we're probably going to see some snap adjustments as well.

We already saw Quinn get his snap percentage cut a little last week and IMO that's going to continue if he doesn't improve beginning in Dallas. Longacre isn't the most athletic fit out there but he's been much more stout vs the run so he'll be the one who benefits. Both ILBs have been disappointing too as we all know, however the issue there is who do you have who will make it better behind them? That one's really hard to predict, think it might take more time for the staff to make a change there for that reason.

Either way, I expect this defense to start rebounding here real soon and playing good ball. Might not happen vs Dallas' offense, as that's a legit matchup who will challenge any defense and these guys might not get it together that quickly. But maybe a respectable day vs Dallas is possible, with continued improvement from there. I believe it's coming pretty soon here dudes, this defense is too talented to keep getting trucked week to week with a guy like Wade running it.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need a thumper at ILB but I don't know where they find one now .

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Nice observations, Mac.

Let's hope things can get fixed at least to a point where we are not totally blown out at Dallas. Like you said, make it respectable.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Joyner and Webster are back for Dallas, I think that makes a big difference. NRC goes into the slot, Joyner gets to play FS, and we can use a lot of different looks with NRC, Joyner, and Cody Davis. I do expect to see Longacre getting more snaps against Dallas considering Quinn's issues vs. the run. I'd also love to see Ebukam on the field more.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Nice observations, Mac.

Let's hope things can get fixed at least to a point where we are not totally blown out at Dallas. Like you said, make it respectable.

Ye of little faith. We're gonna kick some Dallas Ass ! :boxing::boxing::boxing:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
If Joyner and Webster are back for Dallas, I think that makes a big difference. NRC goes into the slot, Joyner gets to play FS, and we can use a lot of different looks with NRC, Joyner, and Cody Davis. I do expect to see Longacre getting more snaps against Dallas considering Quinn's issues vs. the run. I'd also love to see Ebukam on the field more.

The Webster injury to me has been a big issue with the back end. Getting him healthy changes everything. Joyner and Webster have proven some versatility though.

TexasRam

Legend
The redskins have a better team and more overall depth then us.

They did a great job building their team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The redskins have a better team and more overall depth then us.

They did a great job building their team.

Right now they do look like a better team. But the NFL season is a 16 round fight and the Rams are growing fast right before our eyes. It's not out of the realm of reason to think in terms of ceiling that they might be on par or even better than the Skins down the road.

Let's wait and see how this season unfolds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now they do look like a better team. But the NFL season is a 16 round fight and the Rams are growing fast right before our eyes. It's not out of the realm of reason to think in terms of ceiling that they might be on par or even better than the Skins down the road.

Let's wait and see how this season unfolds.

If we both make the playoffs and face off (huge if), I think we'll take it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I will be watching the Cowboys @ Cards game with wide eyes tomorrow. And probably a few times between now and next Sunday.

Have to be ready to play next Sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we both make the playoffs and face off (huge if), I think we'll take it.

What impresses me most is their OL. Watching them vs the Raiduhs tonight those guys were moving all over the place and getting on their assignments just like they did to our defensive front. That block they highlighted of the center Long moving out to his right and allowing for yet another 6+ yard run was ridiculous. Those guys are on fire.

But yeah, I would love to see us meet up down the road in the playoffs that would be one hell of a nice rematch.

fearsomefour

Legend
The next two weeks are going to be interesting.
In Dallas and then Seattle.
1-1, 0-2?
Don't know.
Could see Longacre getting the majority of snaps the next two weeks.

TexasRam

Legend
The next two weeks are going to be interesting.
In Dallas and then Seattle.
1-1, 0-2?
Don't know.
Could see Longacre getting the majority of snaps the next two weeks.

If we can get one of those games I would be happy. Seattle always plays bad early in the season and with their offense so atrocious I smell blood. Would be great to light them up.

I think Dallas will come out desperate and play their best vs us, but who knows what happens Monday night. They may get beat up.

fearsomefour

Legend
If we can get one of those games I would be happy. Seattle always plays bad early in the season and with their offense so atrocious I smell blood. Would be great to light them up.

I think Dallas will come out desperate and play their best vs us, but who knows what happens Monday night. They may get beat up.
And SF O looked like maybe the worst in the league until they played the Rams.
Seattles D line is nasty. Our D has to show up that game. I honestly expect a loss in Dallas given the D struggles and winning would mean winning back to back road games....a rarity in the NFL.
Seattle is winnable game. Big challenge for the O line.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
next week is gonna be tough .... but Seattle aren't the team they used to be.... i got serious wood watching the titans handle them ,,, they are looking very beatable ... i thought Lewan was gonna eat Sherman after the late hit on Mariota

i don't really make predictions on a game to game basis ... but if the O carries on performing as they have and the D tightens up ... we will take the division this year

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And SF O looked like maybe the worst in the league until they played the Rams.
Seattles D line is nasty. Our D has to show up that game. I honestly expect a loss in Dallas given the D struggles and winning would mean winning back to back road games....a rarity in the NFL.
Seattle is winnable game. Big challenge for the O line.

Still in Jeff fisher mode?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What impresses me most is their OL. Watching them vs the Raiduhs tonight those guys were moving all over the place and getting on their assignments just like they did to our defensive front. That block they highlighted of the center Long moving out to his right and allowing for yet another 6+ yard run was ridiculous. Those guys are on fire.

I prefer young veteran OL'ers when securing new OL'ers over utilizing your draft selections. Use your teams draft instead for QB/TE/WR/CB/DL/LB

Redskins have two of their starting OL'ers moving into UFA'cy in March. Center Long may be a long term starting future. John Sullivan will also be a UFA in March & will be 33 yrs old too.

Shawn Lauvao is a good starting OG for many yrs now with the Browns & Skins. He would be a good fit with Rodger Saffold as our two veteran starting OG's.

https://overthecap.com/player/shawn-lauvao/303/
https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-long/3017

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going off the rails until after the Dallas game if nothing is fixed. We hired Wade Phillips and HE said that our defensive personnel was as talented as any other defense he had coached. We have been exploited in the midst of this change to Wade's defense. Plus, FATIGUE..We went from a hard game vs Skins where the run couldn't be stopped, then 4 days later with trying to recover and getting tape on the niners, they went into the Thurs night game tired. Short week is harder for a defense than an offense in my opinion....

Phillips is supposed to be the best there is...how about we see what he does with 10 days off before running around with hair on fire?