Which rookie running back will have biggest impact?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Chris Wesseling
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167858/article/which-rookie-running-back-will-have-biggest-impact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... est-impact</a>

On the heels of Monday's email chain discussing Dan Hanzus' list of the top 30 running backs in football, the Around The League crew is back to debate this year's top rookie running backs. The following was taken from an actual email exchange.

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:00 PM
To: Sessler, Marc; Rosenthal, Gregg
Subject: ORGANIC EMAIL CHAIN 4

While writing the piece on the Broncos choosing Montee Ball over Eddie Lacy, I got to thinking, "which of the two will have a bigger impact as a rookie?" Let's expand that question to include all rookie running backs.

I'm still taking Lacy. The toe injury may be a concern down the road, but it certainly wasn't an issue when Lacy was steamrolling defenses down the stretch in Alabama's championship run. He's the favorite to take over at least the "thunder" role in Green Bay's high-scoring offense, with perhaps fourth-rounder Jonathan Franklin as "lightning." I'd say double-digit touchdowns aren't out of the question, but the Packers understandably like the ball in Aaron Rodgers' hands inside the 10-yard line. I still expect Lacy to be the leading rusher among NFL rookies.

MS: While still mourning the hate crime you two committed on Hanzus on Monday, I'll take my chances on Ball.

Sound chatter on Lacy, Wess, but he'll split too many carries with Franklin to lead the league in rushing. I see Denver parting ways with Willis McGahee and plugging Ball into the lineup to play the featured-back role.

Elway is shaping this offense off what he knows: A late-30-something future Hall of Fame quarterback paired with a productive bell-cow. It worked in the late 90s, and it will work again.

GR: Poor Hanzus. He had to take the day off after yesterday's performance. This question doesn't figure to have the same body count because there are too many great answers to the question. For me, it comes down to Giovani Bernard in Cincinnati and Le'Veon Bell with the Steelers.

The Bengals offensive line is one of the best in the league, and that offense is screaming for big plays from the position. Bell is the heavy favorite to play all three downs for an underrated offense. Bell is my pick, but there's not a lot of separation.

MS: Bell is a juicy pick. I'm not sold on Bernard as league-leading material, mainly because Law Firm's still hanging around and I don't trust that offense.

Last year at this time, if I told you Alfred Morris -- the 12th back taken -- would lead all rookies in yardage, you two would have ProFootballFocus'd me to death.

[hil]So my dark horse pick behind Ball? How about this year's 12th back, Zac Stacy, in St. Louis?[/hil] With just Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead ahead of him -- and a Steven Jackson-sized hole to fill -- Stacy has a shot to make some noise.

GR: Stacy is a nice sleeper pick. And he fits into a mold in this draft class of classic, three-down backs that landed in nice spots. The trend in the NFL is supposed to be going away from the 300-carry, workman-like backs. But guys like Bell and Ball both were drafted to be three-down bruisers on playoff contenders. Perhaps we could trend back away from so many committees.

(And if we're talking draft sleepers, I'll roll with Andre Ellington in the sixth round to Arizona.)

CW: I keep seeing speculation that the Broncos will cut Willis McGahee, but I don't buy it. Did John Fox suddenly lose his veteran running back fetish? I'm not sure Ball will ever be a three-down back in Denver. He won't be trusted on passing downs as a rookie, and that should be Ronnie Hillman's role in the future.

Arizona is certainly fertile ground for a sleeper, with injury-prone backs Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams atop the depth chart, but I could see Stepfan Taylor getting the call before Ellington, who seems like "just a guy" to me.

I'm on record as predicting a breakout 2013 season for Isaiah Pead, so I'm skeptical of the Zac Stacy call.

GR: McGahee is turning 32 years old coming off a compression fracture and a torn MCL. Although it's a fair point about John Fox. He might only consider that a flesh wound.

CW: Let's wrap it up on that quip.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"With just" Pead and Richardson ahead of him...

I'm not sure of that's a compliment of Stacy or a diss on the incumbents.

Pead was too high of a pick to get dismissed like that with the carries he got last year. He's an unknown with promise right now... hasn't been tried and failed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

Pead was too high of a pick to get dismissed like that with the carries he got last year. He's an unknown with promise right now... hasn't been tried and failed.
Lazy reporting, for the most part.

But then again, he's got a 50/50 shot of being accurate.
Take your chances, I guess. lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Dude said:
CGI_Ram said:

Lazy reporting, for the most part.

But then again, he's got a 50/50 shot of being accurate.
Take your chances, I guess. lol.

I'm sure he likes Stacy, and that's great. But I have to give respect to Pead and Richardson until proven not able... which there is no data to suggest that.

lockdnram21

Legend
Its not that no one trust pead and richardson, its just that neither one of them are 3 down backs. With all this passing that were trying to do we need a back that can block. I would say ganaway but hes slow, and if the rams liked him that much they wouldnt have drafted stacy. I think stacy gets most of the carries and pead or Richardson compliment him like they did jackson. Theres a dark horse though i think. If Benny Cunningham is healthy by camp in july and can run a 4.3-4.4 he will make the team and start. Hes bigger then stacy and faster then or just as fast as pead and richardson

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
Its not that no one trust pead and richardson, its just that neither one of them are 3 down backs. With all this passing that were trying to do we need a back that can block. [hil]I would say ganaway but hes slow[/hil], and if the rams liked him that much they wouldnt have drafted stacy. I think stacy gets most of the carries and pead or Richardson compliment him like they did jackson. Theres a dark horse though i think. If Benny Cunningham is healthy by camp in july and can run a 4.3-4.4 he will make the team and start. Hes bigger then stacy and faster then or just as fast as pead and richardson

There's hardly anything between stacy and Ganaway on the speed front.

40yd splits
Ganaway: 4.63
Stacy: 4.53

10yd splits
Ganaway: 1.58
Stacy: 1.58

But when it comes to weight...
Ganaway: 241
Stacy: 216

IMO it's Ganaway that'll punch the biggest hole for you....

lockdnram21

Legend
Well its enough of a difference. Ganaway didn't break to many tackles, or catch the ball out the back field.I still think stacy will be the starter

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
lockdnram21 said:
Well its enough of a difference. Ganaway didn't break to many tackles, or catch the ball out the back field.I still think stacy will be the starter

I don't know if he's the starter, but he's got a leg up on Ganaway.

The Rams gave up two picks for Stacy... that's a head start for Stacy.

jap

Legend
A lot may depend on just how ready health-wise Benny Cunningham will be by the start of training camp. The team knows quite a bit what they have in Daryl. They can see Isaiah's upside clearly, although he still needs to do it consistently on the field. And they are high on Stacy. The RB battles should be real fun.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
jap said:
A lot may depend on just how ready health-wise Benny Cunningham will be by the start of training camp. The team knows quite a bit what they have in Daryl. They can see Isaiah's upside clearly, although he still needs to do it consistently on the field. And they are high on Stacy. The RB battles should be real fun.

True. Remember when Rams fans clamored on about how we never seemed to find a decent backup to SJax?? Looks like we have accumulated quite the stable of potential studs after his departure.....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:

Yeah, the camp competition at RB will be fun to watch!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like what I saw from Pead in college and what few chances Pead had late in the season too. I said it before he is the closest RB in style to McCutheon #30. Pead being 5-11 200 where McCutheon was 6-1 205. I look for Pead to be a big surprise when the pre-season ends.

Fisher really liked Stacy for him to end the draft way early for the Rams to trade picks to land him. Stacy is only 5-8 216 is a totally different runner than what we have seen in a Ram uni in some time. Looks to be another good new Ram runner. With runners 5-8 Stacy & 5-8 Tavon Austin flaring out of the backfield would tend to get lost....say overlooked by the real big guys?

This UDFA Benny Cunningham is 5-10 212 pounds looks to be a bonified gold mine. Not so sure how that knee will be when TC starts but he could be a PUP prospect. But he looks to be as good as Stacy from the tubes watched.

The runner who may be pushed back in opportunities is Richardson IMO. He tailed off badly as the season went on he is only 5-10 @ 196 pounds.

Ram runners look awful short... looks to be by design....a move away from the 6-2 1/2 243 pound Jackson.

Zac Stacy 5-8/ 5th rd pick
Tavon Austin 5-8/ 1st rd pick
Cunningham 5-10/ UDFA
Richardson 5-10/ 7th rd pick
Pead 5-11/ 2nd rd pick

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
BonifayRam said:
I really like what I saw from Pead in college and what few chances Pead had late in the season too. I said it before he is the closest RB in style to McCutheon #30. Pead being 5-11 200 where McCutheon was 6-1 205. I look for Pead to be a big surprise when the pre-season ends.

Fisher really liked Stacy for him to end the draft way early for the Rams to trade picks to land him. Stacy is only 5-8 216 is a totally different runner than what we have seen in a Ram uni in some time. Looks to be another good new Ram runner. With runners 5-8 Stacy & 5-8 Tavon Austin flaring out of the backfield would tend to get lost....say overlooked by the real big guys?

This UDFA Benny Cunningham is 5-10 212 pounds looks to be a bonified gold mine. Not so sure how that knee will be when TC starts but he could be a PUP prospect. But he looks to be as good as Stacy from the tubes watched.

The runner who may be pushed back in opportunities is Richardson IMO. He tailed off badly as the season went on he is only 5-10 @ 196 pounds.

Ram runners look awful short... looks to be by design....a move away from the 6-2 1/2 243 pound Jackson.

Cunningham 5-10/ UDFA
Pead 5-11/ 2nd rd pick
How tall were Barry Sanders, Walter Payton,and Emmitt Smith?

jap

Legend
BonifayRam said:

Daryl has speed but is not as elusive as Isaiah. Still, I love how quickly he spots and accelerates through holes. Put some big road graders in front of him and let him soar.

BonifayRam said:

Cunningham 5-10/ UDFA
Pead 5-11/ 2nd rd pick

That has been the NFL trend over the last few decades---short, quick backs who can hide behind road grading OL behemoths. It's a bit more difficult for a D to find this type of RB behind a big oline, and a defensive lapse in that respect can produce big plays, even home run plays.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
lockdnram21 said:

Hmm, and drafted Pead in the 2nd round, that beats a 6-7 rounders
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thordaddy said:
How tall were Barry Sanders, Walter Payton,and Emmitt Smith?

Looks like Payton 5-10 & Smith 5-10 have a few inches on Stacy & Austin but Sanders was 5-8.

I would say I am very positive to this move to all this shortness myself @ RB. I guess I did not know it but I know today that I had grown so tired of watching SJ & his dancing & hopping routine before he hit what little hole there was. The interior of the Rams OL was SHORT on making holes for any of our RB's period. The Turner- Wells- Ojinnaka- Smith- Dahl cadre just did not do well. The very middle was awful. The best runs seem to come off the OT's blocks on the outside behind Saffold & Richardson with an effective Kendricks on the kick out. Lance sure is a bonified FB/H-back move TE IMO!

Don't get me wrong here I am on board my fellow ROD'ers! Short is is Short it be !

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
lockdnram21 said:

Hmm, and drafted Pead in the 2nd round, that beats a 6-7 rounders
train

No doubt.

I think Pead is the starter going in... And I hope he lands it!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2