VetRamFan Camp Report Wed Aug 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Another beautiful day at camp. Not many people today. Smallest crowd I've seen in the four camp days I've been to.

Bubbaram showed up, we perform our usual ritual and head to the beer vendors. Got to start camp off right! Walking to the beer vendors I hear someone calling my name. It's one of my former technicians whom I haven't seen in like 8 years! He's an avid Rams fan so we chat for awhile but I can tell Bubba is chomping at the bit to get that beer. So our journey continues.

While we're drinking in the designated drinking area, three of Bubba's friends from other boards show up. So the five of us head over to the bleachers at the 20 yard line anticipating the action will be heading our direction. When the 11x11 commence, they are going the opposite direction! So much for getting your seats early so as not to miss any action.

Practice was very purposeful, efficiently ran. All groups doing something at all times. Now that doesn't mean each playing is doing something, just different groups are doing their assigned drills. The feeling I get from this team is that they know what they are doing. They are going about their work like professionals. You can just tell this team is special and that feeling can be attributed to the head coach, Sean McVay. I sure hope he doesn't get himself burnt out!

I was trying to focus on the linebackers and I was able to see a couple of things. Scales has some work ahead of him. On more than one occasion, he is watching the play develop in front of him and it seems that he is unsure of what to do. I did watch him drop in coverage on a recognized pass play and started to move to his right and backpedal to cover a TE going up the seam. Then he changes his mind and moves forward and left to pick up a RB that is coming out on a screen at about the slot position. The play was a pass play that went to the opposite side of the field where the receiver makes the catch and is covered by the CB. I don't know what his responsibilities were on this play but that TE he started to cover was left wide open when Scales didn't stay with him as the help on the backend (safety) was really deep.

On another play, a run off the left side this time, Scales stayed in what I assume is his zone, read the play well, positioned himself to make a tackle but really on made token attempt to engage the RB. Now maybe that is because they are not supposed to tackle but I feel he should have charged forward towards the line of scrimmage to engage the runner. I may be wrong on this thinking but it just seemed not right to sit back and let the RB come to you.

So after some of these 11x11, the players broke off again for some drills. We had the OL and some DL players in front of us. They started doing single rushing/blocking techniques. Both lines would line up for the snap of the ball. When the ball was snapped to one of the coaches, a D lineman would rush a selected O lineman. They would continue with each position and player. This would give each O and D player an chance to engage in rushing and blocking. It was a full speed drill. The vets each got a chance and did their thing. The second string O line got more reps in and they all did very well keeping the defender from getting to the "QB" (coach). Those to take note of on defense was Tanzel Smart, Justin Lawyer, John Franklin-Myers. They worked hard.

On the offensive side centers Blyth and Allen looked good. BTW, Allen looks like a fireplug compared to the other linemen. Noteboom is the real deal. Good footwork and use of his hands. Lucas and Williams are servesable just not very agile.

The team went back to 11x11 with Mannion at QB. They ran a hurry up or 2 minute drill starting at the far 20 yard line. First two passes were to Higgbe on an out route. He caught them both and turned upfield. Of course, no one was around him to challenge him but it did look good. Everett also caught a couple for some gains. They move the ball down to around their own 40 (hard to tell as we were in the endzone seats drinking another beer at this point). GZ came in and hit the field goal with plenty of leg.

Now the first team comes on the field and they do the same drill. Todd Gurley broke through the left side of the line and ran full speed once he was open all the way to the end zone even though the whistles were blown to stop the play. That got the crowd all excited, cheering and clapping as he ran into the end zone. It was around this time that GZ came on the field and hit his 63 yard FG. Bubba said that was at least 55 yards. I just kept counting the yard lines to try and figure out how far it was. I all I knew at the time is that it was a long ways away and it cleared the cross bar by at least seven yards.

The last seven or eight minutes was the ones running plays going away from us. This was done at a fast pace, not a hurry up but quickly getting plays called and lined up. Just as in a game, there was no time to rest. It was a good series.

That's all I can recall for now. Maybe BubbaRam can offer up other tid bites as he was taking notes.

I'll be at practice tomorrow. I think I want to have some fun and follow the WR group.

Till next time,

Dale

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! Always a great read.
You're welcome.

I see that Bubba posted his report, off to read and see what I missed or if we got our wires crossed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Great work @VeteranRamFan. Greatly appreciate the time you spend doing these.
Nice to hear Allen and Noteboom look the part so far. We need some young blood on that oline make a push

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You dudes are awesome! Thx for keeping the reports up VRF! (y)