Two missed blocking assignments costs Rams the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Well, they probably costs us the game anyway. They at least prevented us from taking a 24-20 lead against the Redskins in the 4th Quarter. I'm talking about a running play to Gurley at the 3:38 mark on this video:

The line creates a good initial hole and Gurley hits it, but look closely at the 3:42 mark. Havenstein stumbles and falls to the ground instead of finishing his assignment and blocking #22, who ended up being the first defender to get significant contact on Gurley.

Now watch the play again and look at Robert Woods at the top of the screen. I don't know if he was taking the play off or what but he fails to engage anyone. This includes Josh Norman, who was standing right in front of him and ended up knocking the ball out of Gurley's hands while he was stumbling (from the tackle Havenstein failed to block).

If both those guys perform their assignments and finish out the play, Gurley is taking that run to the house. Blocking matters folks, and the devil is in the details.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I appreciate the insight, but watching the clip at 3:42, Havenstein does a great job sealing 90, getting to the next level to try and get to 54. He is trying to block 54 at the 2nd level, he wiffs but 54 is not really a factor. Havenstein IMHO does he job almost perfectly. As for Woods, I guess he could of been more aggressive but he is in front of Norman and ready to take him on. Norman does not make the play here. It looks like a safety who darts in to make the stop or rather gets Gurley to stumble. Watch the play before that play, it starts at 3:33, Woods is finishing a downfield block on 36.

I love the granular view but on that particular play I feel like both Hav and Woods do there jobs.

After watching this, Havenstein played a lot better than I initially gave him credit for.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If both those guys perform their assignments and finish out the play, Gurley is taking that run to the house. Blocking matters folks, and the devil is in the details.

No doubt. And if you want to see some great blocking by wideouts and skill guys in general take a look at the Skins' offense on Sunday. They put on a damn clinic.

What's cool though is that McVay's gonna keep working that stuff and those details, so there's that chance we start to really see this offense click.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can point to plays like offensive series like the one above...so yeah, mistakes happened during the game, but that is not why we primarily lost.

We lost because in long stretches of the game, the Skins run game was making 7-12 yards a pop in straight ahead runs. They kept doing it because we couldn't stop it early on. The plan extended drives and saved Cousins from throwing possible INTS and suffering sack/fumbles. Our team showed grit by coming back to 20-20 in the game, but the previous mistakes by our defense in being unable to stop the run was why we lost...not some play(s) near the end of the game. We should have been able to stop the run, and therefore get more offensive plays on our side and more possible points and not needing game ending heroics to win

Last edited:

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I appreciate the insight, but watching the clip at 3:42, Havenstein does a great job sealing 90, getting to the next level to try and get to 54. He is trying to block 54 at the 2nd level, he wiffs but 54 is not really a factor. Havenstein IMHO does he job almost perfectly. As for Woods, I guess he could of been more aggressive but he is in front of Norman and ready to take him on. Norman does not make the play here. It looks like a safety who darts in to make the stop or rather gets Gurley to stumble. Watch the play before that play, it starts at 3:33, Woods is finishing a downfield block on 36.

I love the granular view but on that particular play I feel like both Hav and Woods do there jobs.

After watching this, Havenstein played a lot better than I initially gave him credit for.

I've watched this run at least 20 times, if Havenstein was trying to block 54 it was a complete wiff. But I don't think that's where he was going. Watch the other blockers during the run. The run looks like it was designed to go well inside of where 54 is at that time. Sullivan and Brown push their guys outside while Saffold turns to push his man to the inside, creating a lane. Havenstein looks to be trying to run downfield to get to the safety when he trips and falls right at the safety's feet.

As for Woods, I didn't say he didn't block well all game. But saying he did nothing wrong on this play is nonsense. As a receiver his job is to engage the corner, especially when facing one of the best run-stuffing corners in the game. He was literally standing right in front of Norman when he could've been pushing him away from the play. And don't say that he was waiting to see if Norman was playing the outside run because Norman's helmet was visibly turned inside and so must've been his eyes. I like Woods for the most part, but that was trash football.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I've watched this run at least 20 times, if Havenstein was trying to block 54 it was a complete wiff. But I don't think that's where he was going. Watch the other blockers during the run. The run looks like it was designed to go well inside of where 54 is at that time. Sullivan and Brown push their guys outside while Saffold turns to push his man to the inside, creating a lane. Havenstein looks to be trying to run downfield to get to the safety when he trips and falls right at the safety's feet.

As for Woods, I didn't say he didn't block well all game. But saying he did nothing wrong on this play is nonsense. As a receiver his job is to engage the corner, especially when facing one of the best run-stuffing corners in the game. He was literally standing right in front of Norman when he could've been pushing him away from the play. And don't say that he was waiting to see if Norman was playing the outside run because Norman's helmet was visibly turned inside and so must've been his eyes. I like Woods for the most part, but that was trash football.

The safety (player who makes tackle) is not even in the shot when Hav falls. 54 is the next player to get, so to assume or expect him to pick the safety is somewhat above the call of duty. In a zone scheme a T is not expected to be 20 yards downfield. He is sealing the lane, which overall is accomplished.

As for Woods, he looks like he gets fooled on the play by Norman but I don't think it is a reason Gurley doesn't score

I don't know the actual assignments but based of what I know and the execution, I believe Hav is sealing and did his job.

My point is neither player caused Gurley not to score as you said on the OP. The safety comes in after 5 yards or so is gained and makes the play, or rather dives in and trips Gurley up. Neither Hav or Woods is at fault IMO. Could both of done a better job? Certainly, was it there fault the play doesn't go for a score, I don't think so.

Rainram

Starter
I won't touch on the play you've mentioned. But I re-watch the game. It was definitely ours for the taking. I think if we played em again and clean our shit up, we win.

I still think this a good team. Some adjustments and learning curves to be had for sure (coaches and players). But this is a damn good team, I think 9 wins is certainly feasible...starting with niners on Thursday.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The safety (player who makes tackle) is not even in the shot when Hav falls. 54 is the next player to get, so to assume or expect him to pick the safety is somewhat above the call of duty. In a zone scheme a T is not expected to be 20 yards downfield. He is sealing the lane, which overall is accomplished.

As for Woods, he looks like he gets fooled on the play by Norman but I don't think it is a reason Gurley doesn't score

I don't know the actual assignments but based of what I know and the execution, I believe Hav is sealing and did his job.

My point is neither player caused Gurley not to score as you said on the OP. The safety comes in after 5 yards or so is gained and makes the play, or rather dives in and trips Gurley up. Neither Hav or Woods is at fault IMO. Could both of done a better job? Certainly, was it there fault the play doesn't go for a score, I don't think so.

We'll agree to disagree, especially on Woods. My original point is the same, if both blocks are made then Gurley is in the end zone.