Supplemental Draft Steal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why take a CB this year? It would be a waste of a season... so you would essentially only get 3 years out of him... IF he works out.

I do think this factors in to the overall decision. Years of club control is an important consideration, not the only one certainly or the most important one either, but it does matter. Next season our starting duo is set. At season's end Hill will leave in FA and their starting duo will both have one year remaining on their contracts. So at that point, yeah, drafting a CB to at least insulate the Rams from FA departure makes a lot of sense.

Ram65

Legend
I haven't looked these guys up yet. It would seem an over burdon on the roster. How many CBs do you keep on the 53 man roster?

On the other hand IIRC NRC is the only one signed till 2020. No Shields contract for next next year so far. Hill is on a three year deal ending this year so I guess he is a free agent next year.

Rams have to consider it. They should have extra 3rd round picks next year and no 2nd rounder. Round 1 talent at round 3 cost for a team that needs to save money makes sense. They have to do their do diligence. They can try and trade Hatfield if they need a roster spot.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry for a little OT.

I remember we signed a UDFA corner last year. I totally forgot his name, but I think he was our biggest UDFA signing. Anyone remember?
To answer my own question, it was Aarion Penton. I think he's still on our roster.

Ram65

Legend
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/06/03/adonis-alexander-supplemental-draft-breakdown/
Breaking down Virginia Tech's Adonis Alexander ahead of supplemental draft
By: Jacob Infante | June 3, 2018 11:59 am ET

Virginia Tech defensive back Adonis Alexander decided to apply for the 2018 NFL Supplemental Draft on Friday after being ruled academically ineligible to play during the 2018 collegiate season.

Alexander is arguably the most talented prospect to enter the supplemental draft since Josh Gordon entered in 2012. He will also likely be the first player to be selected in the event since Isaiah Battle in 2015, whom the then-St. Louis Rams used a fifth-round pick on.

p

One of the 32 NFL teams will presumably forfeit a future draft selection to add Alexander to their team, so it is wise to get up to speed about what he brings to the table in case your team ends up picking him. Here’s the rundown on how he projects as a prospect.

Background
  • Height | 6-foot-3
  • Weight | 207 pounds
  • Hometown | Independence, North Carolina
Production
Like this article?
Sign up for the The Draft Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

• 32 games in three seasons
  • Seven interceptions
  • 17 pass deflections
  • 125 total tackles
  • One forced fumble
  • One sack
Strengths
Over the past few years, there has been a bevy of big-bodied wide receivers who have entered the NFL. As this trend continues to thrive, teams tend to fall in love with tall defensive backs who can match the likes of Mike Evans, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery from a measurement standpoint. If you take one look at Adonis Alexander, you’ll see that he perfectly fits that mold.

Alexander is a long and lanky cornerback who has the height, the arm length and the physicality to be a very good boundary corner in the NFL. He is good at jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage, and his long arms allow him to break up passes that most cornerbacks can’t reach. He’s more than just a big body, though: he has fluid hips and great body control, as well. Alexander is capable of making the adjustments necessary to position his body to break up passes. He can also high point the ball like a wide receiver and make the play.

Another intriguing aspect of Alexander’s game is his versatility. Virginia Tech used him in both press-man and off-man coverage, and he proved to be capable of playing in both. However, given his physical nature and length, it would likely be better for the NFL team that picks him to play more in press-man. Alexander is also a more-than-capable run defender, as he is a form tackler with good instincts who typically takes good angles to the ball. This, along with his length, has some analysts projecting him as a safety at the next level. Alexander played the position in high school and actually started off his collegiate career as a safety, so a potential position change would likely happen seamlessly.

Weaknesses
A lot of Alexander’s concerns stem from off-the-field issues. He was caught using marijuana in 2016, which caused him to miss the first game of the season. He also violated Virginia Tech’s team rules in 2017, which resulted in his being suspended for the first two games of that year. There’s also the reason that he is in the supplemental draft: he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the Hokies in 2018. While there could potentially be outside factors that play into his lack of success in the classroom that are currently unknown, the situation certainly is not ideal.

Alexander is also far from a perfect prospect on the field. His motor is inconsistent: he can make a play on one down and be a total non-factor the next. His 2016 tape is also much more impressive than his 2017 tape, as he looked less athletic in the latter season. While he flashed the ability to change directions well two years ago, the ability wasn’t quite apparent last season. Add that to the fact that his recovery speed is not that great, and one would be in their right mind to have concerns regarding Alexander’s athleticism. Whichever team selects him will likely have to bank on his 2016 self showing up, as opposed to his 2017 self.

Draft Stock
Alexander is a talented player who has all of the physical tools to be a very good defensive back in the NFL. His length, physicality and body control will indubitably be enticing for teams as they consider picking him in the supplemental draft in July. However, his off-the-field issues are concerning, and his lackluster 2017 season did his stock more harm than good. A late Round 5 or an early Round 6 selection will likely be the earliest point at which Alexander will be selected

Ram65

Legend
Adonis Alexander does not seem to fit the Rams culture.

However, he could take over for Joyner at free safety next year. Now, the article is saying a 5th or 6th round pick. Rams really have to research this guy to even see if he is worth considering. He seems versatile with good size and can tackle. That's a nice combination in a DB.

Ram65

Legend
https://sports.yahoo.com/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-enter-nfl-supplemental-draft-145458248.html

Western Michigan CB Salm Beal to enter NFL supplemental draft

Pete Thamel
Yahoo SportsJun 6, 2018, 10:54 AM

6284485583e7193af24118fb6d022963

Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal is filing to enter the NFL’s 2018 supplemental draft, Broncos coach Tim Lester told Yahoo Sports.

Beal is entering the supplemental draft because he wouldn’t be eligible to play next year due to academic credit shortcomings. Beal is a 6-foot-1, 195-pound defensive back who an NFL scout told Yahoo Sports is considered a second-round talent. He’d already been tabbed as one of the top prospects from the Group of Five for the 2019 NFL draft, as he’d have been classified as one of the country’s top corner prospects for the upcoming college season.

“He was a joy to coach,” Lester told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. “I wanted to coach him one more year. When it comes to talent and work ethic, he’s one of the best I’ve ever been around. I’m looking forward to watching him at the next level.”

Beal will continue to train at Western Michigan and the school plans to eventually host his pro day. Lester specified that Beal didn’t flunk out of school, but his eligibility was compromised because he didn’t meet minimum credit specifications. “The bottom line is he was forced to make this decision,” Lester said. “His GPA isn’t bad. We did everything we could to try [to help him]. We made sure we did everything in his best interest.”

Beal is the second talented defensive back to enter this year’s supplemental draft. Virginia Tech defensive back Adonis Alexander announced late last week he’d also be entering because of academic eligibility issues. Alexander is also considered a player who is talented enough to go in the second round.

Whether either player ends up going that high is difficult to project, as the supplemental draft is notoriously tricky to predict according to one scout. The supplemental draft consists of players who’ve had a circumstance change after the date to declare for the April draft. The team that selects a player in the supplemental draft forfeits the corresponding pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

No date has been set for the supplemental draft, but it typically takes place in July. This will be the most intriguing supplemental draft since Cleveland took Josh Gordon with a second-round choice in 2012. Only one player has been picked since in the supplemental draft – offensive lineman Isaiah Battle in the fifth round from Clemson in 2015.

Ram65

Legend
Sam Beal considered 2nd round talent in article as is Alexander.

Certainly another year in college would have given the Rams and other teams more film to evaluate these two.

I thought both would be evaluated at a higher level. They wouldn't be the first two players that didn't do well in school but, produced at the NFL level. Rams have to keep stocking the talent pool with some less expensive players. They have to do their research.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We have corners. but if a talented pass rusher is there who fits our system, then I am in.

dang

Legend
At some point I hope the Rams establish an "IF you want In on at Team that will Win then come on aboard. We cant pay top $$ to everyone but we will pay fair market value and you will have fun doing it.". This is the Patriots model except no one has fun with the Pats.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why take a CB this year? It would be a waste of a season... so you would essentially only get 3 years out of him... IF he works out.

They are loaded at CB with Shields as the 4th and Hill as the 5th CB... and Hill played well down the stretch last year.

Wait until next year when you have more time to evaluate players then use that pick on a CB, if needed, and get 4 years out of him.

Thank you !! Was waiting for someone to bring up Hill!! Shields as well. I like Peterson as well, but the depth is crazy good right now at CB for The Rams.