Rams Draft: D Can Dominate With 2 Key Additions (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
(Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams).

Last season, the St. Louis Rams vaulted all the way to No. 14 in points relinquished, up a noteworthy 12 spots from No. 26 in 2011. Impressively, the Rams did so under less than ideal circumstances.

For one, St. Louis opened the year with their would-have-been defensive coordinator – Gregg Williams – suspended indefinitely. This left the play-calling duties primarily on the plate of son Blake Williams, who was far less experienced in that role than his father.

Secondly, even if the elder Williams had been in place, this was a different defense than the one utilized by former head coach Steve Spagnuolo. There were going to be adjustments and growing pains regardless of who was calling the shots.

Thirdly, the Rams plugged in six new starters – two rookies and four free-agent additions – at defensive tackle, outside linebacker and cornerback, respectively.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/04/24/rams-draft-defense-can-dominate-with-two-key-additions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/04/24/ram ... additions/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: Rams Draft: D Can Dominate With 2 Key Additions (101 ESP

I agree Shane; OLB and S and this team is stout on D.

But... can we get those plugged and find another weapon or two for the offense?

If we trade down, I say "yes".

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGI_Ram said:
I agree Shane; OLB and S and this team is stout on D.

But... can we get those plugged and find another weapon or two for the offense?

If we trade down, I say "yes".

I agree, particularly if we add extra selections via a trade down, which opens up extra opportunities. Even if not, 4 picks in premium rounds (first 3) leaves good opportunity to add value on both sides of ball.

jap

Legend

Very nice stuff! :cool: