Mike Shanahan: RG3 refused to run many of the plays that were called

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RG3 is an ass....But what a gutless damn POS owner to not talk to Shannahan straight up about what he wants of the QB..and Snyder has no business bypassing his HC to confer with a player about he should be used. What a horrific franchise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As I recall, Jay Cutler was fond of him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What is Shanahan still talking about this for? He should have stood up, erased the damn board, and told RGIII to fuck himself....seriously....who's the coach? Who's the player???

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...idnt-think-trading-up-for-rg3-was-very-smart/

Mike Shanahan: I didn’t think trading up for RG3 was very smart
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu1yjuzyznkndzkmjywmtnjzdniymu1ywuxntdjyza4-e1424225200392.jpeg
AP

Former Washington coach Mike Shanahan now says he never wanted to trade up for Robert Griffin III in the 2012 NFL draft — an easy claim to make now, and one Shanahan was slow to make publicly.

In an interview with TheUndefeated.com, Shanahan says that after the 2012 draft, owner Dan Snyder called the team’s minority owners together to celebrate, but that Shanahan himself wasn’t in a celebratory mood because he thought the team had just mortgaged its future for a quarterback who wasn’t up to the task.

“Dan knew I wasn’t very happy about what we did, but he wanted everybody to celebrate how smart we were, so we jumped on his plane and met the other owners on his yacht,” Shanahan said. “Everyone was celebrating. I just didn’t think it was very smart to give up that much for a guy who we didn’t even know if he could drop back and throw. When I finally sat down with Dan, I said, ‘Hey, you own the team. We can work with him and do some things. But we haven’t seen anything on tape that warrants giving [up] this type of compensation.’ To me, it was absolutely crazy.”

Of course, that’s easy to say now that Griffin has washed out after four years in Washington. Shanahan certainly wasn’t saying that after Griffin’s breakout rookie year. The Washington Post collected a dozen times in 2012 and 2013 that Shanahan said the trade was a great move for the future of the franchise.

While Shanahan seems interested in rewriting history about Griffin’s up-and-down tenure in Washington, Griffin says he’s moving on. That might be a wise approach for Shanahan, too.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
What is Shanahan still talking about this for? He should have stood up, erased the damn board, and told RGIII to freak himself....seriously....who's the coach? Who's the player???

I agree. This came off strange to me. Shanahan revealed something about himself here, perhaps unknowingly.

In an effort to focus people's attention on what an arrogant putz the player was being, (this never conversely makes you look good) he also reveals that he was afraid of the young kid. To the point of sitting through his lecture?!! And then not saying anything?

All parties look bad here. Just bizarre.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it's worth mentioning that in college he asked the coaches not to critique his play in the film room if other people were there.

He's way to full of himself IMO.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
RG3 is an ass....But what a gutless damn POS owner to not talk to Shannahan straight up about what he wants of the QB..and Snyder has no business bypassing his HC to confer with a player about he should be used. What a horrific franchise.

Exactly my thoughts. How can you expect consistency among your team when you, as an owner, are not only allowing players to undermine their coach, but facilitating such behavior?

I bet Shanahan was happy to leave. He had two years left on his contract IIRC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Snyder is a world class turd.

With the passing of Al Davis and Bud Adams he may qualify for the worst owner in the NFL.

Maybe in all of pro sports in the US even.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://deadspin.com/chris-cooley-has-a-whole-bunch-of-thoughts-on-rgiii-1763768888

Chris Cooley Has A Whole Bunch Of Thoughts On RGIII
By Barry Petchesky

vxefs0hnnpoffytwgade.jpg

Four years ago today, Washington agreed to send three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis for the right to move up to draft Robert Griffin III. Today, Griffin is a free agent, and the man the Skins selected on the third day of that draft is their QB and set to make $20 million.

“From the moment Kirk was drafted,” said longtime TE Chris Cooley, “I think Robert had animosity towards him. A lot of people in this area hated that fourth-round pick; I don’t think anyone hated it as much as RGIII hated it.”

Cooley, comfortably ensconced in his second career as “Guy Who’s Always on the Radio and Often Saying Bad Things About RGIII,” spent most of Monday going on the radio and saying bad things about RGIII.

Dan Steinberg, the Washington Post’s Guy Who Transcribes Cooley Saying Bad Things About RGIII, has written up this latest round, and it’s all really, really good and you should go read it. In the meantime I’ll just be Guy Who Aggregates Steinberg Transcribing Cooley Saying Bad Things About RGIII.

“The offensive line did not like Robert Griffin,” Cooley said. “A lot of the receivers did not like Robert Griffin. The offensive line had a problem with Robert, because they were considered for a year-and-a-half or two years a terrible offensive line that couldn’t protect a quarterback. A lot of that isn’t true. A lot of that was Robert. A lot of the sacks were put on Robert. Want to believe it or not, they were, okay? Football-wise, they were: it was Robert.

“Robert never took [responsibility] for that,” Cooley said. “Robert continued to let his offensive line eat the blame. They don’t like it. They hate that, man. That kills them. Perception is the only thing an offensive line has, because 99 percent of people watching football have no idea what an offensive line’s doing.

“Receivers didn’t like playing with Robert, because they didn’t get the ball,” Cooley said. “It was never consistent, other than a couple in 2012; they struggled with that. So they didn’t like Robert.”

Oh yeah, that’s the good stuff, hook it directly to my vein.

There’s seriously a whole lot here, especially on Griffin’s frosty relationship with Cousins. You get the feeling Cooley’s been saving up for the first day RGIII was officially off the team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://deadspin.com/chris-cooley-has-a-whole-bunch-of-thoughts-on-rgiii-1763768888

Chris Cooley Has A Whole Bunch Of Thoughts On RGIII
By Barry Petchesky

vxefs0hnnpoffytwgade.jpg

Four years ago today, Washington agreed to send three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis for the right to move up to draft Robert Griffin III. Today, Griffin is a free agent, and the man the Skins selected on the third day of that draft is their QB and set to make $20 million.

“From the moment Kirk was drafted,” said longtime TE Chris Cooley, “I think Robert had animosity towards him. A lot of people in this area hated that fourth-round pick; I don’t think anyone hated it as much as RGIII hated it.”

Cooley, comfortably ensconced in his second career as “Guy Who’s Always on the Radio and Often Saying Bad Things About RGIII,” spent most of Monday going on the radio and saying bad things about RGIII.

Dan Steinberg, the Washington Post’s Guy Who Transcribes Cooley Saying Bad Things About RGIII, has written up this latest round, and it’s all really, really good and you should go read it. In the meantime I’ll just be Guy Who Aggregates Steinberg Transcribing Cooley Saying Bad Things About RGIII.

“The offensive line did not like Robert Griffin,” Cooley said. “A lot of the receivers did not like Robert Griffin. The offensive line had a problem with Robert, because they were considered for a year-and-a-half or two years a terrible offensive line that couldn’t protect a quarterback. A lot of that isn’t true. A lot of that was Robert. A lot of the sacks were put on Robert. Want to believe it or not, they were, okay? Football-wise, they were: it was Robert.

“Robert never took [responsibility] for that,” Cooley said. “Robert continued to let his offensive line eat the blame. They don’t like it. They hate that, man. That kills them. Perception is the only thing an offensive line has, because 99 percent of people watching football have no idea what an offensive line’s doing.

“Receivers didn’t like playing with Robert, because they didn’t get the ball,” Cooley said. “It was never consistent, other than a couple in 2012; they struggled with that. So they didn’t like Robert.”

Oh yeah, that’s the good stuff, hook it directly to my vein.

There’s seriously a whole lot here, especially on Griffin’s frosty relationship with Cousins. You get the feeling Cooley’s been saving up for the first day RGIII was officially off the team.

Wow when you read the full article it makes you wonder why even the Browns offered a contract.......WOW.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
RG me me me deserves all the shit he's getting.

But I gotta tell ya, never have been a big Shanahan fan.

In fact, that's my only knock on JF - he's Shanahan's friend.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
What a d-bag...RG3 that is.

I stood up for him too. I said all the negative reports about his attitude were blown out of proportion, simply because RG3 negativity sells.

But it's looking more and more like I'm wrong, and he's just a crappy person. You have to be pretty full of yourself to tell the head coach (a SB winner) how the offense will run....when your only in your second year.
I've always thought that RG3 is a egomaniac a could never understand why all the idiots wanted this clown.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/08/robert-griffin-rg3-cleveland-browns-starter-nfl-notes

The Ongoing Growth of Griffin
Robert Griffin III begins with a clean slate in Cleveland, but his new head coach, Hue Jackson, explains why RG3 still will need to earn the starting job this summer. Plus items on the Von Miller-Broncos contract situation, the Cardinals’ small secret and Art Briles’ potential NFL job opportunities
By Albert Breer

mmqb-rg3-browns.jpg

Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images

To the outside world, it seemed that Robert Griffin arrived in Cleveland weighed down with four years of baggage from a most unusual run as franchise savior-turned-bust in D.C.

Good thing for the star-crossed quarterback, his new head coach never looked at it like that.

“I said this to all the players: Everybody’s slate is clean,” rookie Browns coach Hue Jackson said from his office earlier this week. “You always want to give guys the benefit of the doubt coming in, and I have not seen, heard or felt any negativity out of him. That’s the only Robert Griffin I know. He’s been an ideal teammate, a hard worker, he wants to please his coaches and he’s followed directions. That’s all I know.”

What Jackson doesn’t know yet (or if he does, he isn’t saying) is whether or not Griffin will be his starter for the team’s opener Sept. 11 in Philly. Veteran Josh McCown is the other option.

But as minicamp wraps today, 11 weeks to the day that Griffin signed, it remains the likelihood that Griffin will be the guy. And while that doesn’t guarantee anything, and the 26-year-old doesn’t need to be reminded of that—he held the Washington starting job through the spring and most of summer last year before being unseated by Kirk Cousins—just holding serve signifies a step forward after a season in which he didn’t take a single snap.

In this first installment of my Inside the NFL notebook for The MMQB, we’ll look at the Von Miller-Broncos contract situation, Cardinals’ next small-school prodigy, the Jets’ never-ending QB saga, players to watch from this week’s minicamps, and the embattled Art Briles’ connection to pro football.

We’ll start in Cleveland, where Briles’ most high-profile prodigy is trying to recapture the magic he carried from Waco to Washington in 2012.

Two years ago, Washington coach Jay Gruden told me that, despite a spectacular debut season, Griffin was still painfully raw as a pro quarterback, emphasizing that it would take patience to see him through to the point at which his game would have NFL staying power. To be sure, Jackson has seen growth, but it’s also easy to see that he knows what Gruden was trying to say.

“I’m not gonna say he’s raw, but he is still developing. And most young quarterbacks are still developing,” Jackson said. “I’d give coach (Mike) Shanahan and his son a lot of credit—he came into the league and they fashioned an offense for him that worked for him. And I’d give him credit too, coming out of the Baylor system, without the traditional footwork you play with, he produced right away.

“Those guys were able to mesh together a great season, but all that is in his past. It’s about mastering the quarterback position now. Mastery of how to play the position is the key to his success.”

mmqb-hue-rg.jpg

Photo: Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images

And that means learning the things Griffin wasn’t asked to do as a rookie, and the things he struggled with over the three years to follow.

That started nearly three months ago with Jackson directing Griffin to work with quarterbacking guru Tom House, someone Jackson called “one of the greater teachers in dealing with quarterbacks around.”

“If he’s not around me, I want him to be around the best,” Jackson said. When Griffin has been around Jackson, there’s been an emphasis on footwork, progression reading, and protecting himself and being smart on off-schedule plays. There, the coach says the improvement has been “twofold.” In fact, one most encouraging moment of the last couple weeks of work was Griffin hitting the deck on a lost play.

“There’s a time to say uncle,” Jackson said. “He’s taught himself to slide.”

Now, to be sure, the concept of a first-round reclamation project at QB isn’t a new one. There’s always hope in these situations. The reality is Jim Plunkett and Steve Young stories are few and far between.

Teams have cut ties with 15 first-round quarterbacks over the past 10 draft classes. Only two of those 15 have lasted more than two seasons with their second teams. One is Jay Cutler, whose ouster from Denver was driven by personality, rather than production. The other is Blaine Gabbert, who is entering his third season as a Niner.

So if Griffin makes this work, he will be an outlier.

But when I ran down the list to Hue, he responded, “I’m not sure any of those guys did it on that level that Robert did (in 2012). He did it. We know he can.” And taking that into account, I then asked if he believes Griffin can be the kind of franchise quarterback that a coach would feel comfortable tying his job security to.

“That’s yet to be determined,” Jackson responded. “Quarterbacks are made by wins. That’s how a guy has to do it consistently, then he becomes a franchise quarterback. We’re back in the first stages, trying to find a quarterback, then naming a quarterback, then letting him play, and over time we’ll see.”

That, of course, punctuates the underlying theme here, too. For all the improvement Griffin has made in shorts over the last couple months, he still has to win the job, and as was always the plan, Jackson will make him earn it.

“When it’s time to make [a decision], I’ll make it,” Jackson said. “I’m being honest. It’s still way soon. I know that’s what everyone’s worried about, but I’m not. There are no games yet. I think it’s a competition, so we can just let things play themselves out.

“We don’t feel any need to rush. When we name one we’ll feel good about, it’ll be because we put the guy through every test, and he passed.”

So maybe Griffin becomes a great story of perseverance in 2016. Maybe we see the magic of ’12 again.

For now? It’s June.