Fisher Press Conference to begin in a few minutes (4:45 CT)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[presser][/presser]

Shaky

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 11-19-12

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 11-19-12

Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – November 19, 2012

(Opening statements)
“(LB) Mario (Haggan) is pretty sore today. So, we’ll have to see how he is later on in the week. We’ll see how he recovers and we’ll probably have to keep an eye on (WR) Danny (Amendola) as well this week. He was a little sore. We’ll see how the practice week moves along as far as those two are concerned. The rest of the guys ended up OK. We’ll be actually activating (C) Scott Wells this week, as we said. So, we have a to-be-determined roster spot that we have to address.”

(On if he has an issue with Haggan being blocked while on the ground)
“Yeah. Any time there’s someone on the ground, someone’s diving on somebody and spearing somebody like that, it’s an issue. But it looked to me like the injury took place just before that. Not quite sure. We have to go back and look at the exact mechanism.”

(On C Scott Wells)
“He’s going to return to practice this week. We’ll activate him. So, we’ll see how he does the rest of the week.”

(On how Wells did last week)
“He was fine. On the last day, Friday, he took all the scout team reps. He was OK.”

(On if they will wait to see if Wells is ready to play)
“See how the week goes, yeah. See how the week goes for Wells and hope to get him back in the lineup.”

(On yesterday’s game)
“First half could have been a lot different. We looked at it real close and we got a chance to go in the locker room at halftime 17-3. Instead, we go in 13-7. It’s the turnover, the sack, the caused fumble and that return. As we said, the defense got the stand after the interception return. However, we got a defensive hold that’s not called. And if that’s called correctly, then the interception return, it’s not…it doesn’t go, we’ve got a first down, we’re moving. Then, obviously, the opportunity on the kickoff return. A little disappointed in the way things went down first half, considering the fact you’ve got a chance to go in with a lead with momentum. We didn’t have it. Then, we basically just trade series through the third quarter. They scored early in the fourth. Then, we were unable to overcome (RB) Daryl’s (Richardson) fumble. That’s what happened.

“A lot of good things. When you look at from a standpoint of special teams, we go out and we block a field goal, we get a fourth down stop on a fake punt, we get the ball in the end zone, however, it was called back. So, good things there. I thought both (WR) Chris (Givens) and (CB) Janoris (Jenkins) came back after a tough weekend and came back and made some plays for us and got back in the swing of things.”

(On if the holding was on the strip fumble)
“The holding was on the interception.”

(On if they held TE Mike McNeill)
“No, they held Danny (Amendola). They held Danny on a shallow cross.”

(On Givens’ kickoff return touchdown that was called back)
“There’s three holdings on their first kickoff that aren’t called, and all three of them were more egregious than the one that was called. So, I’ll just leave it at that.”

(On if the holding penalty was called because it was close to the returner)
“The hands were inside. He did have a little grab there, but when the arms go up, like I said, sometimes that’s all it takes. But, we’re not good enough to even put ourselves in position to where they think it’s a hold. We’ve got to make sure that… because we couldn’t overcome that last week when we had the block above the waist. We’ve got to just keep working the young special teamers, making sure that they’ve got to trust the returner. The last thing you can possibly do is grab.”

(On yesterday’s difference in field position)
“The field position was tough, especially when, in the third quarter, we got the big punt, got the ball down to the 11 yard line. We wanted to really get them pinned and then we give up a 12-yard carry and a first down and another play. Field position played a big part of it in the game. We had a couple of kickoffs where we were tackled inside the 20 and then they pushed a kickoff out. They also had a punt return that picked up 15, 20 yards, which helped.”

(On if they went away from the running game too much)
“I think, in retrospect, we probably got away. Probably should have fed (RB Steven Jackson) ‘Jack’ a little more. I talked to him today about it. But, we got behind, and when you get behind like we did, we wanted to close the gap and catch up. But, he’s running really well. He looks young. A lot of that has to do with what we did early in the year, him coming off that groin. He was making some plays. He ran over some people in this ball game, some good players. We’re going to have to commit to that. As I said, our formula should have been their formula where they ran it 40 times and threw it 20 times. Instead, we didn’t. We only had 20 carries.”

(On if he still wants to work Daryl Richardson into the offense)
“Yeah, Daryl’s going to still play, but we need to get back to what we were doing.”

(On if not getting into a rhythm affected the play calling)
“Again, it was the third down stuff. It was the third and short, it was the third down… the interception was a third down. That drive stays alive. We get a really nice catch and run after catch with (TE) Lance (Kendricks) and that one comes back. Instead of first and 10 on the 37, we’ve got a second and 15 back on the 11. All the shaving where Danny (Amendola) was apparently shaving. Then, we’ve got another third down where (WR) Austin’s (Pettis) hit in the face, chest to face. Usually, that’s called. It’s not called. If we continue those drives, then, perhaps, different good things happen. We get more opportunities.”

(On the shaving against Amendola)
“They called it shaving. So, they called illegal motion where you come in motion, you kind of creep towards the line of scrimmage.”

(On if QB Sam Bradford was holding the ball for too long)
“No. They did a good job of affecting coverage and taking away check downs. He was just trying to make plays. For example, they’ll pressure, and then when we anticipated pressure, we put two backs in the backfield to block our way out then put two backs in the backfield and you’ve got three guys out in the route and it takes time. It was that chess game that we knew we were going to face with their defensive play caller. There were a couple of times where he probably could have pulled it down and run a little bit, maybe got the first down. He knows someone’s chasing him, he doesn’t know who. So, he tried to fit the ball in to Danny.”

(On if he sensed any confusion on Bradford’s part because the Jets were disguising looks)
“No. It’s very hard to go through progressions, normal progressions, against this defense because it’s a little unorthodox and it creates problems for quarterbacks.”

(On what his philosophy was regarding balancing the run and passing game when the team was down by three scores)
“We wanted to mix the run. We scored with about five and change and at that point you can’t run the football anymore. We’re down by two touchdowns. You want to carry balance in there and if you’ve got a close ball game you keep the defense off balance. You can carry balance options in the red zone, but when you get down like that after the fumble, we had to pick it up and go. And that works to their advantage now because you’ve got a one-dimensional offense.”

(On how the players seemed today considering it has been a while since they’ve won a game)
“They’re fine. We talked about it. I shouldn’t say they’re fine. They’re going to be fine. They didn’t like it, don’t like it. But, they saw where their opportunities were and they understand how this thing slipped away. They’re determined not to let it happen again. I think the big thing as we move forward, as we’ve talked to them about it, don’t worry about going out and winning the game, you worry about going out and play well and the rest of it takes care of itself.”

(On several players’ sentiments after the game regarding consistently carrying over good play in practice into games)
“Well, the word consistent came up because that’s what we talked about in the locker room after the game. We’ll start fast like we did yesterday and get points and then not play consistent football through the middle part of the ball game. We just have to play consistent football through each drive on both sides of the ball.”

(On if he thought the energy was there)
“Yes. Energy was not an issue. If you’re alluding to the five quarters and the travel and the overtime, no. They played hard and they played fast all the way to the end. They’re disappointed at the end, especially when we got the ball back and we’re trying to make plays and realistically speaking, you’re running out of time. We had a shot on the onside kick. That was a live ball. Everybody had a chance at it and we couldn’t get it. But, once that happened it became hard. The big thing is our defense hasn’t had a turnover in five weeks and that’s hard. You win football games when you turn it over. Balls are flying all over the place. They strip-sack and they pick it up and run it 50 yards. We strip-sack and it falls on (Jets QB Mark) Sanchez’s lap.”

(On the Rams not catching bounces that could lead to big plays and turnovers)
“The bounces will come. That’s what I told them. They’ll come.”

(On the notable five-week stretch without a turnover and if there’s anything that can be done differently on defensive to cause turnovers)
“No. You just keep playing. We’re stripping and you keep playing. We’re stripping. The ball’s flying around. It’ll just happen. But I don’t think I’ve been in a stretch before that long. And the other thing about it, it’s not like we’re turning the ball over five or six times a game on offense. We’re just not getting the takeaways to get the extra drives.”

(On the Rams’ run and pass defense and how the defense performed overall)
“We gave up too many plays in the passing game. The double move after the takeaway was not good. That scene was not a good play. Defensively against the run, they averaged about 3.5, I think, against the run, which that’s not good. We had some good plays, good efforts on the line of scrimmage, but it’s too much on the ground and when offense is not scoring, we can’t afford to give up those plays and not get the ball back on third down. I was not pleased overall with any phase.”

(On the Jets scoring on third and five in the red zone)
“You don’t run the football like that against a good defense. Our defense, we were expecting pass and they put themselves in good position.”

(On if he had second thoughts about having a three-man front on the third and goal play on the five-yard line)
“Well, had we had a four-man front they probably would have thrown it. That’s the chess game there. So, you go four-man front then you’re defending a shot at the end zone. You go a three-man front, you invite them to run. You just have to make the plays.”

(On rookie mistakes, the normalcies of those mistakes, and if it’s too late in the season to still have them)
“Well, we’ve addressed that with them, but we’re playing a lot of rookies. So, they’re going to make mistakes. Some of the mistakes, they’re not repeat mistakes, but nonetheless they’re mistakes. I don’t think it has anything to do with that quote ‘rookie wall’ we talk about. We’ve addressed that.”

(On if CB Bradley Fletcher only played one snap on Sunday for performance reasons)
“No. We split packages. We moved (CB) Trumaine (Johnson) into the nickel package where ‘Fletch’ had been playing and we had Fletch in three other defensive packages, but we didn’t deploy them yesterday.”

(On why FB Brit Miller was inactive)
“We didn’t feel going into this game that a fullback in the backfield was going to be advantageous to us because of the defense that we were going to get. So, our package featured the three-tight end package and the three-wide package and we felt like we were better off with an extra tight end, so that’s why we brought up Cory (Harkey).”

(On if he wanted to get another look at Harkey and if that was a factor in why he was active on Sunday)
“Well, Cory did a nice job for us on special teams during preseason and he’s done a nice job outside. So, it was an opportunity and he actually did pretty well in the two units he played on.”

(On if Johnson is the third cornerback)
“Trumaine is the third corner in the nickel and ‘Fletch’ is the third and fourth corner in three of the other packages.”

(On if he’s noticed how former Ram Danario Alexander has performed this season with the Chargers)
“I haven’t paid attention, no.”

(On if Alexander couldn’t get on the field with the Rams because of injuries)
“Well, yes that was his issue. He’s got tremendous talent. We just couldn’t give him a fair evaluation. When you’re having injury issues and they just keep coming back and you can’t get on the field, you have to move on.”

(On if he was frustrated as a head coach after the loss)
“Frustrated after yesterday? Of course I was. Frustrated after every loss. There’s times I’m frustrated after wins. It’d be a nice way to feel this weekend.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramsfans.com

http://www.nflfans.com/rams2/article.ph ... 9193043474

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Re: Fisher Press Conference to begin in a few minutes (4:45

What the hell kinda question is that? "Are you frustrated after the loss?"

What the fuck kind of answer do you expect? "Nah, I'm quite happy." "No I'm not frustrated, it's just a loss."

C'mon media.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Angry Ram said:

What the fuck kind of answer do you expect? "Nah, I'm quite happy." "No I'm not frustrated, it's just a loss."

C'mon media.

Media always asks such gems. My favorite is when my unit lost a man and some bitch with a camera said "How do you feel about watching your friend die?" How the fuck do you think I feel?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

C'mon media.

Media always asks such gems. My favorite is when my unit lost a man and some bitch with a camera said "How do you feel about watching your friend die?" How the fuck do you think I feel?
Holy shit that was insensitive.

And retarded.

bluecoconuts

Legend

You'd be shocked at the stupid things people ask. I've had a reporter ask me to compare to to Call of Duty so kids back home know what it's like. When I said it's nothing like Call of Duty he asked "why not?".. I said "Well one it's not a video game and you can't just get hit a bunch of times to stop for a second and be okay, and there's not guys dying left and right with RPG's flying all over the place." His response was "Oh, so it's not as bad as Call of Duty then?"

I just don't understand what goes through peoples heads sometimes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

bluecoconuts said:

WHAAAAT? Holy shit. Insensitive doesn't even begin - more like little c--t! Sorry. But I'm not sure I'd be able to keep my cool in that situation. I suppose having you lose it may have been her intent though - eh?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So can you tell Fish is just a wee bit pissed at the calls we've been getting?

bluecoconuts

Legend

RamFan503 said:
So can you tell Fish is just a wee bit pissed at the calls we've been getting?

Yep, if he's saying that to the public, you can imagine what he's saying behind closed doors. I'm sure someone in the NFL offices have gotten an earful from him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:

WHAAAAT? Holy shit. Insensitive doesn't even begin - more like little c--t! Sorry. But I'm not sure I'd be able to keep my cool in that situation. I suppose having you lose it may have been her intent though - eh?

Another one of my reasons for leaving to Costa Rica next summer literally. I have had enough how we treat each other as a society whole without going on a soap box stand...crime how it committed, greed shit the fuckin SEVEN deadly sins.. :evil:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

BatteringRambo said:
Another one of my reasons for leaving to Costa Rica next summer literally. I have had enough how we treat each other as a society whole without going on a soap box stand...crime how it committed, greed shit the fuckin SEVEN deadly sins.. :evil:
Yup, I know exactly how u feel, bro.

Unfortunately, it's going to get worse. The kids coming up now are just bombarded with inputs that turn them into total a-holes when they get older, that is, only those kids who have parents who either don't know better or just don't care. Fortunately, there's still a lot of good people out there, but I agree that we're moving in the wrong direction.