Fisher busy with the business of moving/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher busy with the business of moving

By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_21d0cb5a-b0ba-553c-8e24-0d07a873d584.html

INDIANAPOLIS • Jeff Fisher and his staff are still working out of their offices in Earth City, but the Rams’ coach already has one foot out the door.

Between the usual offseason work of tweaking the coaching staff and playbook, and preparing for the draft and free agency, Fisher has been immersed in the franchise relocation to Los Angeles.

“The only thing I’ve adjusted is sleep,” Fisher said Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “I’m not sleeping, so ...”

That was a joke.

Fisher’s plate is full, so much so that he’s had to drop one of his favorite “hobbies’ over the years — membership on the NFL’s competition committee.

“Two weeks ago I had a conversation with the commissioner (Roger Goodell), and I stepped off the committee for obvious reasons,” Fisher said. “I spoke to most of the committee members, and just the time that’s gonna be required of me as far as this move is concerned makes it really difficult to commit to that 100 percent.

“So I look at it as hopefully a leave of absence, but I’m not participating with the committee right now.”

Other than an appearance at a pep rally in Inglewood a few days after league owners approved the Rams’ move, Wednesday marked Fisher’s first media session of the offseason.

In his opening remarks, Fisher offered words of condolence to the team’s fans in St. Louis.

“I just want to take this opportunity to thank the loyal St. Louis fans that came out week after week after week, because they were truly loyal and they hung in there through thick and thin with us,” Fisher said. “I’m going to miss them, the organization’s going to miss them, but we’re obviously moving on.”

Fisher drew a huge crowd of reporters at the combine, including several from Los Angeles — a crowd larger than any of his four previous combines with the Rams.

He said it felt strange to be introduced as the head coach of the Los Angeles Rams.

Fisher grew up in Los Angeles and attended USC. He grew up a Rams fan and says he remembers his father taking him to his first NFL game at the LA Coliseum — Rams vs. Eagles.

His family still lives in Southern California. His mother even asked if he was moving next door. “No,” Fisher told her.

He and the rest of the organization are still trying to nail down where the team will be working and practicing on a daily basis. The team will conduct its offseason conditioning program and spring practices (OTAs) in Oxnard, at the same facility the Dallas Cowboys used for training camp.

But the Rams can’t use the facility for training camp because the Cowboys will be there again this coming summer. So the team is expected to train 100 miles south in Orange County, probably at the University of California-Irvine.

Once the regular season starts, the Rams will then move into a temporary practice facility while a new facility is built. “And by temporary, we mean potentially 2½ years,” Fisher said.

So there will be some bouncing around for the players as the team gets settled in on the West Coast.

“I’m extremely confident that those things are gonna work out,” Fisher said. “Stan (Kroenke) understands the importance of taking care of the players. And he’s putting them first right now.

“The business side and the stadium and all those other things are moving on. But what’s important to us is making sure the players are in a position where, 1.) They can continue rehabbing injuries, and 2.) They can train and have a stable OTA period.”

Under the collective bargaining agreement, once the season ends teams aren’t allowed to gather the entire roster until the start of the offseason conditioning program, which for the Rams begins April 18.

But after consulting with the NFL Players Association and the NFL management council, the Rams have received permission to hold an informational meeting for all players and their families on March 4 in Los Angeles.

“Hopefully by that time we’ll be able to tell them exactly where we’re gonna have training camp, where we’re gonna set up a temporary facility,” Fisher said. “Make recommendations from a housing standpoint. Let them know about traffic patterns and travel and things like that.

“Because 22- and 23-year-old athletes need to get to work on time. If we’re gonna put a temporary facility someplace up north (which appears to be the plan), you don’t want to put yourself in Newport Beach where you have a 2½-hour commute every day.”

The Rams have to be out of the Rams Park facility in Earth City by the end of March.

Fisher got only a few “football” questions Wednesday:

• He confirmed that Alec Ogletree will move inside to middle linebacker with the release of James Laurinaitis. “Alec is really excited,” Fisher said. “He’s been in the building every day and he’s wearing Coach (Gregg) Williams out. ... Alec is gonna get people lined up. He’s gonna call the plays. He’s a really smart player.”

• Fisher said the coaching staff is complete with Mike Groh added as passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach, Skip Peete as running backs coach, and John Lilly as tight ends coach. That means Rob Boras will continue as offensive coordinator.

• Fisher also said he expected all three players cut last Friday — Laurinaitis, Chris Long, and Jared Cook — to find work elsewhere.