2024 Dodgers thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't get why we would want him out there for the 9th. We've had what 11 pitchers on the DL so far this year? He's pitching great has a big lead imo there's no reason for him to pitch the 9th.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't get why we would want him out there for the 9th. We've had what 11 pitchers on the DL so far this year? He's pitching great has a big lead imo there's no reason for him to pitch the 9th.
Yeah. I get that. It was just nice to see him get past 6 for me. But to see him still pitching into the 8th made me feel he was really starting to get his groove on. I'm not suggesting he should be doing that all the time or that I want to see him going 9 a bunch of times but he was on 95 pitches in the 8th when I looked and IIRR 100 pitches was always a mark you would look for. He was being very efficient in that game. 97 pitches and 73 of them were strikes. I wonder what a normal outing for Yams would be. Y'know.... what kind of pitch count we can expect.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. I get that. It was just nice to see him get past 6 for me. But to see him still pitching into the 8th made me feel he was really starting to get his groove on. I'm not suggesting he should be doing that all the time or that I want to see him going 9 a bunch of times but he was on 95 pitches in the 8th when I looked and IIRR 100 pitches was always a mark you would look for. He was being very efficient in that game. 97 pitches and 73 of them were strikes. I wonder what a normal outing for Yams would be. Y'know.... what kind of pitch count we can expect.
For me I'm all for them pitching less now if it keeps them healthy and pitching well in the playoffs. A 9th inning in May is meaningless if he's not available in October and November.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For me I'm all for them pitching less now if it keeps them healthy and pitching well in the playoffs. A 9th inning in May is meaningless if he's not available in October and November.
True. And it's hard to trust Roberts on his pitcher decisions sometimes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. And it's hard to trust Roberts on his pitcher decisions sometimes.
Robert's for me is a non factor. He's given lets call it a chart on what to do when. It's Friedman pulling the strings, he dictates things by analytics. Robert's might decide a player over another but he's given guidance on how to do things. We really don't have a manager in the true sense of the word anymore.

I think that said baseball is in for another shift very soon. The spin rate and the rest of what they push pitchers for is bad for arms and to me isn't sustainable. Add to that the pitch clock doesn't allow for a pitcher to chill things out and catch a breath sometimes. I think we're hurting the game right now.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Dodgers don’t like to give hitters more than 3 at bats against the same pitcher.
In many cases, it’s only 2.

I would have had no problem with Yamamoto pitching 9 innings. He was still very effective and efficient. He wasn’t laboring at all.
His health wasn’t in jeapordy IMO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think that said baseball is in for another shift very soon. The spin rate and the rest of what they push pitchers for is bad for arms and to me isn't sustainable. Add to that the pitch clock doesn't allow for a pitcher to chill things out and catch a breath sometimes. I think we're hurting the game right now.
You would think the fast ball puts more pressure on arms but spinning that ball is what does most damage. The freshman baseball coach my kid played for once said he didn't want kids that age damaging arms throwing curves and other types of spin. He taught them fast ball techniques, straight change ups and sinkers.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
After a rough start in Korea he's really found his groove. His ERA was something like 45 after that first game. Now its 2.79. His array of pitches and the command is impressive. Now I see why he was in such demand. We're pretty lucky to have him and Ohtani.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You would think the fast ball puts more pressure on arms but spinning that ball is what does most damage. The freshman baseball coach my kid played for once said he didn't want kids that age damaging arms throwing curves and other types of spin. He taught them fast ball techniques, straight change ups and sinkers.
They're different pressures but both do damage but yeah the people I read say the spin is worse by far.