13 Rams Observations & Questions Thru Week 2 (101ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

-Bradford’s Better

Although we are looking at an admittedly small sample size, the early 2013 returns indicate that St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has elevated his game for a second consecutive season.

In 2011, Bradford finished with a 53.5-percent completion rate. Last year, his passing success rate rose to 59.5. This season, Bradford has connected on 63.4 percent of his throws.

Two years ago, Bradford’s quarterback rating finalized at 70.5. In 2012, that rating elevated to 82.6. This campaign, it stands at 93.1 after two contests.

In 2011, Bradford finished the schedule with a per-pass average of 6.1 yards. Last season, it ended at 6.7. In 2013, it currently sits at 7.0 yards per.

Finally, Bradford’s touchdown percentage stood at just 1.7 percent at the conclusion of the 2011 campaign. That percentage more than doubled in rising to 3.8 last fall. Through one-eighth of this year’s docket, his TD mark has significantly improved again to 5.4 percent.

In short, the above shows a third consecutive season of betterment from Bradford.

But it’s not just the numbers that verify a steadily burgeoning Bradford – it is the eyeball test, too.

When watching No. 8 in the pocket, it is clear that – in back-to-back years – Bradford has ameliorated in regard to pocket awareness, overall poise and read progressions.

This is not the same young QB of a couple years ago who would constantly lock onto his primary receiver and stare him down. This is not the same green gunslinger who seemed to lack much of a feel for when the pocket was collapsing around him or when to escape and/or get rid of the ball.

What we are seeing now is a much more refined, confident and capable QB.

Today’s Bradford is clearly the leader of this offense. This is a man with an aura about him that wasn’t always there in the past. This is a player ready to live up to the expectations that accompanied him after being selected with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

And as his young weapons around him mature and grow, Bradford will only get better and realize further growth, too.

From a global perspective, No. 8’s career trajectory is more clearly pointing up now than it has at any point since his rookie season and perhaps at any point in his four-year career.

-Austin Analyzed

In scanning various Rams message boards,

(Hope you all will enjoy the 12 additional observations and questions below, some of which are some tough ones):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/18/ram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/18/ram</a> ... es-week-2/

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
As much as I appreciate Fish's coaching acumen, his conservative nature is a concern and possibly an impediment to getting this team off the launch pad. I hate to bring this up, but I can't help but be reminded of Chuck Knox's first pass through Ram Land. Back then, he took a ragged team and instantly turned it into a perennial division champion 5 years in a row with a combination of hard running and a well conceived albeit conservative pass attack.

Years later, on his 2nd pass through La La Land, he was roundly criticized for his conservative game planning and an ineffective lack of offensive fire power . Everyone knows the ever familiar title "Ground Chuck"....point being, both coaches have had successful careers, but their conservative nature seams to limit their aggressiveness even when well equipped.

Fisher I believe, will be given credit for effectively re-arming the Rams, the question is now, does he know how to use the weapons he has so cleverly acquired?

What's that OLE saying; "if ya got em, use em".

I say "come out with guns blazing" and to hell with errors along the way. At this juncture it seems to me that they should "damn the torpedo's and full speed ahead". Or put another way, "go down fighting and die with a sword in your hand"....and finally; "what good is winning the battle if you lose the war".

Phew, OK, that's enough motivational thoughts for this week, but damn it Rams lets "win one for the Gipper".........sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :doink: :censored:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Very comprehensive piece this week, Shane. And I read it all.
I think you encapsulated everyone's thoughts fairly well. Especially mine.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good stuff as usual Shane. To paraphrase X, you can certainly tell that you're a member of this forum. That degree of perception is found no where else. :bg:

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

Thank you, X. Very glad that you enjoyed it. Always love your feedback. I expect St. Louis to come back 2-1 after the trip to Dallas.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ShaneG said:
X said:

Thank you, X. Very glad that you enjoyed it. Always love your feedback. I expect St. Louis to come back 2-1 after the trip to Dallas.
Well if they don't ... I'm blaming you.

ShaneG

Starter
X said:
ShaneG said:
X said:

Well if they don't ... I'm blaming you.

Uh oh.... :|

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
One day very soon Bradford will have a signature game. A performance where even the skeptics take notice and say they now believe Sam is the real deal.

He hasn't done it yet. This could be that game.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
ameliorated Love your work but when you use words like this I have to stop and google- you could have just said he has gotten better. Just some good natured ribbing-keep up the good work.

ShaneG

Starter
SaneRamsFan said:
ameliorated Love your work but when you use words like this I have to stop and google- you could have just said he has gotten better. Just some good natured ribbing-keep up the good work.

I deserve it.. I got a little carried away there and you kindly made a great point :) ... Hope you (and everyone) noticed there are 12 more points via the link on Cook, Finnegan, etc.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I finally got around to reading this one.

Very complete and well worth the read, folks. I found a lot of alignment with stuff I'm reading here and seeing myself.

I appreciate when a writer brings stats the table I'm not even thinking about. I mean, I want to see more of Quick... and it's encouraging to see his snaps increase week 1 to week 2. I sure hope that continues because if he emerges... this offense gets scary good.

I was also surprised to see we are 12th in the league in penalties. I would have thought we were #1 :sly: . Then again, that said, we've done pretty good in some areas particularly on offense (few false starts, holds, etc.).

I'm not sure what we do with the running game. Part of me is really starting to question if DR is a fulltime back. I mean, he's an explosive runner... but can he really handle the load the Rams are giving him?

And lastly... yeah; we gotta sprinkle in more up-tempo. I doubt Fisher changes this week much, however. He strikes me as someone that won't change because the fans are screaming for it. Stubborn bastard! :lmao:

Oh... and... can we please stop DROPPING PASSES??

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
ShaneG said:
SaneRamsFan said:

I deserve it.. I got a little carried away there and you kindly made a great point :) ... Hope you (and everyone) noticed there are 12 more points via the link on Cook, Finnegan, etc.

No Worries Shane look at it this way-you taught an old hoosier a new word! I will be sure to whip it out somewhere one of these days.