Your favorite Non-beer/wine Drinks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - We've had threads on favorite beers, what beer is in your fridge, what you are drinking on game day...............

What I'd like to know is what kinds of drinks you've had out there that you really dig. It could be a type of a particular alcohol like Tequila or Whiskey. It could be a twist on a Martini or Margarita. It just has to have liquor in it for this thread.

I try all kinds of things when it comes to food and drink. Hell, I could probably do a season of weird foods episodes. But for this thread, I want you guys to tell me what cool drinks you've found or come up with.

So now you're thinking.... well 503... what kind of awesome concoctions have you found? Well not to be a tease but I'm going to just mention a couple and then give some more as time goes on.

I'm going to start with my weapon of choice these days. I'm a huge black licorice fan. And no - Jägermeister is not licorice in my mind. It's more like molasses with a hint of licorice. So I looked for the most licorice tasting of alcohols known to man. While it is true that Absinthe has a very strong anise flavor (face it - that is what a true licorice lover looks for), you either have to buy really expensive stuff or it kinda sucks out loud.

So what is this weapon I speak of? It is a 50/50 combination of Romana Sambuca and 12 Ouzo neat in a snifter or on the rocks in a low-ball glass. Just solid licorice goodness.

So on the heels of this discovery I have made, I thought, how do I come up with a fun variation on this? Well I give you the Irish - Italian Car Bomb. Many of you have no doubt heard of and paid the price of the Irish Car Bomb. This one is a shot of Sambuca dropped into a low ball of Guinness. Don't even think of driving after a couple of these.

So let's hear it. I have a bunch of tasty concoctions. I want to see yours.

Cheers and TGIF!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We're going over to a good friend's house later today for a party. She always makes these drinks,,, well they're really just shots,,, no matter where she is. They're called Dirty Mexicans. They are extremely tasty, and I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Try one before you say you won't like it... if you like a chocolate milkshake... you'll love this. These things are dangerous.

The mixture is simple. It's almost an equal mix of Cafe Patron (coffee flavored tequila) and Baileys... but it's best if you use a little more tequila than the Baileys. Keep the Patron in the freezer so it's ice cold. Mix the two together in a shaker of ice so that the Baileys cools down. Pour large shots.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I like to put sambuca/ouzo in an iced coffee. it makes for a mellow afternoon drink. If you're into herbal liquors try chartreuse, if you haven't already. I've been into campari lately, on the rocks, negroni( equal parts gin, campari, sweet vermouth), or americano(campari, sweet vermouth and soda water) i like to add a splash of bitters

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
We're going over to a good friend's house later today for a party. She always makes these drinks,,, well they're really just shots,,, no matter where she is. They're called Dirty Mexicans. They are extremely tasty, and I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Try one before you say you won't like it... if you like a chocolate milkshake... you'll love this. These things are dangerous.

The mixture is simple. It's almost an equal mix of Cafe Patron (coffee flavored tequila) and Baileys... but it's best if you use a little more tequila than the Baileys. Keep the Patron in the freezer so it's ice cold. Mix the two together in a shaker of ice so that the Baileys cools down. Pour large shots.

When you say large shots...

Large like really full shot glasses, or large like pour them in a tumbler/normal half glass.

I ask because my mother (long time bartender and massive alcoholic) used to make all her shots in tumblers. Full tumblers, regardless of what it was a shot of, though she mostly did mixed stuff. I never once saw a person hang with her for a whole night.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When you say large shots...

Large like really full shot glasses, or large like pour them in a tumbler/normal half glass.

I ask because my mother (long time bartender and massive alcoholic) used to make all her shots in tumblers. Full tumblers, regardless of what it was a shot of, though she mostly did mixed stuff. I never once saw a person hang with her for a whole night.

A shot glass is fine and probably best... but our girl will usually pour them into a regular size red solo cup. That way you can pour a little more than a shot glass. So, like a shot and a half worth.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Something else we like that you may not have heard of...

We rim the edge of our margarita glasses with cayenne pepper instead of salt.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
And this may not be all that new, but I make my mimosas with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice instead of orange juice. It's gotta be fresh squeezed. Way better to me than orange juice because it's not sooooo sweet.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I like to drink scotch on the rocks. Single malt preferred but some blends are acceptable. I personally prefer a highland because that’s what I’ve been brought up on, not as big a fan of the smokier/peatier lagavulins, taliskers etc. Dalmore 15yo and Balvenie carribean cask are my favourites (the Balvenie is matured in carribean rum casks - it’s divine).

Not a massive fan of vodka. I do really like a gin and tonic. The key to a good gin and tonic is looooads of fresh lime and a really good tonic. We have had this recent explosion of fancy expensive craft gins over here but morons fill it two thirds full with cheap shit tonic. Your tonic is two thirds of your G&T - don’t fucking get cheap on your mixer.

One of my favourite bars in Edinburgh is called lebowskis and is based on the movie. They have dozens of White Russians... haven’t got through them all yet but they’re fucking good!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I like to drink scotch on the rocks. Single malt preferred but some blends are acceptable. I personally prefer a highland because that’s what I’ve been brought up on, not as big a fan of the smokier/peatier lagavulins, taliskers etc. Dalmore 15yo and Balvenie carribean cask are my favourites (the Balvenie is matured in carribean rum casks - it’s divine).
Haven't had the Dalmore, but need to try. They sell it here in the states. New to single malts, but really like the Balvenie Doublewood. Like you, don't care for Aardbegh or super peat/charcoal tasting single malt.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
A good spicy bloody mary never hurt nobody.

Bloody Mary.jpg

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Haven't had the Dalmore, but need to try. They sell it here in the states. New to single malts, but really like the Balvenie Doublewood. Like you, don't care for Aardbegh or super peat/charcoal tasting single malt.

I have a doublewood on my whisky shelf right now - literally just poured a whisky, went for an old pulteney though!

RedRam

Pro Bowler
A good spicy bloody mary never hurt nobody.

View attachment 22004
Emphasis on the 'A'... When you get into the 'some' territory is when 'hurt' can come into play! :dizzy::death:

I enjoy some Bulleit Bourbon or Aberlour 12 Scotch occasionally these days. For you Scotch drinkers, if you haven't had the Aberlour, I suggest you give it a try. (y)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Does bass pale ale count? I can't really drink liquor or alcohol because of medications, but when I was twenty-one, I went to a place called the Brickhouse and drank a lot of bass pale ale. A guy offered to buy me an Irish car bomb, but my parents were there, and I had to refuse, haha.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like to put sambuca/ouzo in an iced coffee. it makes for a mellow afternoon drink. If you're into herbal liquors try chartreuse, if you haven't already. I've been into campari lately, on the rocks, negroni( equal parts gin, campari, sweet vermouth), or americano(campari, sweet vermouth and soda water) i like to add a splash of bitters
The Negroni was possibly going to be the next drink I mentioned. I like drinks with sharp character distinctions. My wife hates the bitterness of a Negroni but my youngest son and I love it. Chartreuse is a little more herbal than I like. It's kind of like some of the Gins out there these days. I love a good traditional Gin or one that leans toward juniper and sage. Not crazy about some of the ones out there that taste like you're eating Italian food. Bitters with an Americano? Sounds hard core though pretty light in alcohol. I'm game. I'll have to try that.

Thanks

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I can feel the hang over already. :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Something else we like that you may not have heard of...

We rim the edge of our margarita glasses with cayenne pepper instead of salt.
Yep. I used to make a mixture of crushed red salt (you lived in Hawaii - you know), cayenne, and lime powder. I tried Habanero but it stung the corners of my mouth too much. Really unpleasant.

I've made margaritas with a fresh Habanero thrown into the blender. That was really good yet very hot. Watch out because the alcohol seems to open up the heat. I went to a restaurant that served Scorpion Chili Margaritas. One time I had them and they were really fucking hot. The next time I ordered one - I shit you not - I had the hiccups after the first sip and I thought I was going to die about half way through. He took it back and made two more margaritas with it and neither Becky nor I could drink those. I have made sauces with Scorpion Chili and it has to be the most inconsistent chili next to the Jalapeno. One thing you know is that it is going to be hot. What you don't know is if it is going to be heart stopping.

BTW - I'll be posting my Margarita recipe later. It is ultra simple and dangerously tasty.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And this may not be all that new, but I make my mimosas with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice instead of orange juice. It's gotta be fresh squeezed. Way better to me than orange juice because it's not sooooo sweet.
Fulton loves Mimosas. I'll suggest it to him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Not a massive fan of vodka. I do really like a gin and tonic. The key to a good gin and tonic is looooads of fresh lime and a really good tonic. We have had this recent explosion of fancy expensive craft gins over here but morons fill it two thirds full with cheap crap tonic. Your tonic is two thirds of your G&T - don’t freaking get cheap on your mixer.

One of my favourite bars in Edinburgh is called lebowskis and is based on the movie. They have dozens of White Russians... haven’t got through them all yet but they’re freaking good!
Well @-X- needs to get over there then.

I love a peaty scotch myself but the Dalmore is pretty damn good. I will have to see if the cigar bar we go to has the Balvenie Caribbean cask I have only been there a couple times but they have a really good selection.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Well @-X- I will have to see if the cigar bar we go to has the Balvenie Caribbean cask I have only been there a couple times but they have a really good selection.
Didn't know there was a good cigar bar in Reno. What's it called?

Love a good cigar with a strong beer or scotch. I can only pair Connecticuts and very light maduros with a good IPA.