WR's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
IMO, if they can keep Britt, Quick and Cook together and healthy for a year and improve the offensive line, they can make Sean Hill look like a star.

Well, minus Quick, Shaun Hill still looked like crap, because he's a below average QB.

Anyway, Britt is still yet un-signed, you don't know how Quick will play. You still can't be sure on Austin. Never mind that Quick has one year left on his rookie deal, which makes it even more interesting.

If not White/Cooper, I'd make sure I got myself Smelter if we trade down from 10 and got a 4th +.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have to agree that I'm in the same camp that the Austin trade and pick was the worst of this regime. They really ought to cater to the strength of the drafts more, although I concede that they didn't always have a choice to simply take the BPA, which is why they traded up and down as much as they did.

Anyway, noone can be blamed more than Austin for his first season more than himself. He was a rookie and he wasn't yet ready for all of the targets Shottenheimer forced to him as a rookie. I do think he'll continue to improve, but I also fear that he is much more of a gadget player. Doesn't mean he won't be useful to the team. But I hated that trade when it happened and I still do :)

IMO, if they can keep Britt, Quick and Cook together and healthy for a year and improve the offensive line, they can make Sean Hill look like a star.

It's true, we've picked all over the place. We stayed with a shaky offensive line, drafted the LT of the future who's strength is run blocking, and went with a passing game. We've spent quite a few draft picks on running backs and passed more than ran this last season.

I really think injuries have forced this team to be flexible, but the drafting on offense has me scratching my head to say the least, because this team needs to pick a direction offensively and stick with it until they've found something they're good at. And I do believe that all starts with the offensive line.

Nope, Zaphod, the Tavon trade wasn't the worst. Not even close.

THAT dubious honor goes to the '12 trade down to pick Pead and R Watkins. Missing on Bobby Wagner to get two such busts is, by far, the worst of this regime.

I do concede that the Tavon trade is looking like a distant second place. Lol.

Hopefully, Cigs can do better with Tavon than did Schotty. Having a starting caliber QB couldn't hurt, either. But I digress...

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, Zaphod, the Tavon trade wasn't the worst. Not even close.

THAT dubious honor goes to the '12 trade down to pick Pead and R Watkins. Missing on Bobby Wagner to get two such busts is, by far, the worst of this regime.

I do concede that the Tavon trade is looking like a distant second place. Lol.

Hopefully, Cigs can do better with Tavon than did Schotty. Having a starting caliber QB couldn't hurt, either. But I digress...

Yeah, its bad but its not worse than having 3 first round picks and messing them all up...that was a sad day...in 2001.. The Rams could've been soo good if they had Snead back then.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somehow, I don't believe there's a WR comparable to a guy that had 1622 yards and 25 TDs in the Big 12 in his final year in college on almost every top 15 team.

I'd hesitate to say there's more than one "Stedman Bailey type" in college each year.

Yes, it was in the Big 12. But college stats are essentially meaningless....we all know that a guy can do ridiculous things in college and nothing in the pros. He was a 3rd round pick - you don't think that "almost every top 15 team" (meaning most of them, not all) fields a WR with at least a 3rd round grade??? I'd say there probably are. Even if they aren't draft eligible yet, I'd say on every top 15 team there is a WR that would be at least a 3rd round pick (or a future 3rd round pick).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you, I think it's fair to say that was a pretty ridiculous comment

I don't.

You don't think most top 15 teams field a WR with at least a 3rd round grade???

Stats don't mean much going from college to pro.

jjab360

Legend
I don't.

You don't think most top 15 teams field a WR with at least a 3rd round grade???

Stats don't mean much going from college to pro.
No, I don't think they do. This year for example, 15 WRs hold at least a 3rd round grade according to cbssports. 4 of them played for top 15 teams in the
AP Top 25.

And Bailey might have gone in the 3rd round, but that doesn't mean he grades the same as every third round receiver. Bailey was one of the best receivers in college football the year he declared who fell lower than he should have due to a particularly deep draft at WR and perceived physical limitations.

I could go in depth about what makes him special, but it's clear as day if you watch any of his games. The guy is a playmaker as smooth as they come and to say that there's someone like him on most top 15 CFB teams is about as erroneous a statement as you could make.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I don't think they do. This year for example, 15 WRs hold at least a 3rd round grade according to cbssports. 4 of them played for top 15 teams in the
AP Top 25.

And Bailey might have gone in the 3rd round, but that doesn't mean he grades the same as every third round receiver. Bailey was one of the best receivers in college football the year he declared who fell lower than he should have due to a particularly deep draft at WR and perceived physical limitations.

I could go in depth about what makes him special, but it's clear as day if you watch any of his games. The guy is a playmaker as smooth as they come and to say that there's someone like him on most top 15 CFB teams is about as erroneous a statement as you could make.

Correction: there are at least 15 WRs like him in college in any given year. He might not grade the exact same, but when these guys grade a player as a 3rd round pick, there is a comparison to be made there, even if they're different draft classes.

Calling him special now?? Really?? Currently I'd say he is a solid back up. He has made some plays, but it's not "clear as day" that he's special from watching his games...unless you're talking about college??

Stating there's someone like him on most top 15 college teams is about an erroneous a statement as you could make?? Deep WR class or not, that statement is/was not a stretch if you factor in guys that are not draft eligible yet....the point is, he isn't that special. He might develop into a nice player but currently he's an average NFL player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Stedman is like Steve Smith (not the one we had). He's a smooth route runner with sticky glue for hands, and he's faster than you think he is.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, its bad but its not worse than having 3 first round picks and messing them all up...that was a sad day...in 2001.. The Rams could've been soo good if they had Snead back then.

Just looking at games played, I'd say that draft wasn't as bad as the ones that preceeded of followed it:
Trung Canidate - 46 games played
Jacoby Shepherd - 30 games played
John St. Clair - 132 games played (yay!)

Damione Lewis - 141 games played
Adam Archuletta - 102 games played
Ryan Pickett - 207 games played

Robert Thomas - 84 games played
Travis Fisher - 90 games played
Lamar Gordon - 41 games played

But, nothing beats 2006 in mye eys for total failure:
Tye Hill - 40 games played
Joe Klopfenstein - 49 games played
Claude Wroten - 26 games played

Those are some pretty short careers, boys!

:cry:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just looking at games played, I'd say that draft wasn't as bad as the ones that preceeded of followed it:
Trung Canidate - 46 games played
Jacoby Shepherd - 30 games played
John St. Clair - 132 games played (yay!)

Damione Lewis - 141 games played
Adam Archuletta - 102 games played
Ryan Pickett - 207 games played

Robert Thomas - 84 games played
Travis Fisher - 90 games played
Lamar Gordon - 41 games played

But, nothing beats 2006 in mye eys for total failure:
Tye Hill - 40 games played
Joe Klopfenstein - 49 games played
Claude Wroten - 26 games played

Those are some pretty short careers, boys!

:cry:

Good lord, no wonder we've been sucking for so many years!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, it was in the Big 12. But college stats are essentially meaningless....we all know that a guy can do ridiculous things in college and nothing in the pros. He was a 3rd round pick - you don't think that "almost every top 15 team" (meaning most of them, not all) fields a WR with at least a 3rd round grade??? I'd say there probably are. Even if they aren't draft eligible yet, I'd say on every top 15 team there is a WR that would be at least a 3rd round pick (or a future 3rd round pick).

No, I don't. And I don't consider Stedman Bailey to be a typical 3rd round pick. Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick. Is there an Antonio Brown 25+ college teams? If so, why haven't we found one yet?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good lord, no wonder we've been sucking for so many years!
Mike Martz was a God-send for the Rams in many ways.

However, he was a terrible draft executive. His drafts were among the worse in the last 15 years.

Follow that up with the incompetent Linehan and it really is no wonder the Rams have sucked this long.

Spagnuolo/Devaney were no draft gurus by any means... but they marked the first sign of life at least.

Fisher/Snead have taken that to the next level but we're still not there.

Got to get above .500!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I don't. And I don't consider Stedman Bailey to be a typical 3rd round pick. Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick. Is there an Antonio Brown 25+ college teams? If so, why haven't we found one yet?

Antonio Brown has proven he should have been drafted higher than the 6th round. Has Stedman proven that he should have been drafted higher than the 3rd?

I'm not just taking into account where he was drafted, but also what he's done in the NFL thus far. He hasn't been bad, hasn't been good. He's been average. Meanwhile Antonio Brown is arguably the best WR in the NFL.

He could develop into a good player, but right now it's not a stretch to say that there are 15 WRs comparable to Stedman Bailey in the NCAA draft every year (factoring what they did in college, where they are projected to be drafted, and what Stedman has done in the NFL thus far).

Memento

Name
Jemma
Antonio Brown has proven he should have been drafted higher than the 6th round. Has Stedman proven that he should have been drafted higher than the 3rd?

I'm not just taking into account where he was drafted, but also what he's done in the NFL thus far. He hasn't been bad, hasn't been good. He's been average. Meanwhile Antonio Brown is arguably the best WR in the NFL.

He could develop into a good player, but right now it's not a stretch to say that there are 15 WRs comparable to Stedman Bailey in the NCAA draft every year (factoring what they did in college, where they are projected to be drafted, and what Stedman has done in the NFL thus far).

It's a huge stretch. Bailey is in third place for touchdown receptions in a season, only behind Troy Edwards (who had two more touchdowns without a bowl game) and Randy Moss (one ahead of Bailey with a bowl game). He is ahead of such names like Devante Adams, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, and Torry Holt.

There's not a Stedman Bailey every year. There just isn't.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a huge stretch. Bailey is in third place for touchdown receptions in a season, only behind Troy Edwards (who had two more touchdowns without a bowl game) and Randy Moss (one ahead of Bailey with a bowl game). He is ahead of such names like Devante Adams, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, and Torry Holt.

There's not a Stedman Bailey every year. There just isn't.

I didn't realize that all of those WRs played in the same system, and against the same level of competition.....oh wait, they didn't.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rec-td-player-season.html

Check out this site for all single season records for college football. You'll note that Lyle Lelong and Freddie Barnes had as many TDs in their best year as Dez Bryant - which I guess means they are just as good as he is. Also check out the single season record holders for passing TDs....the top 8 or 9 is a wasteland of garbage QBs.

College stats are meaningless.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I didn't realize that all of those WRs played in the same system, and against the same level of competition.....oh wait, they didn't.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rec-td-player-season.html

Check out this site for all single season records for college football. You'll note that Lyle Lelong and Freddie Barnes had as many TDs in their best year as Dez Bryant - which I guess means they are just as good as he is. Also check out the single season record holders for passing TDs....the top 8 or 9 is a wasteland of garbage QBs.

College stats are meaningless.

That wasn't at all what I was trying to point out, but thank you for taking the time to build your strawman. I never once said that they were just as good. I said that there aren't fifteen wide receivers like Bailey that come out every year.

As for college stats being meaningless, how else do you judge players properly? College statistics are the difference between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston; the difference between Luke Kuechly and Mike Mamula.

College stats and tape help with scouting players like Bailey. The Combine, on the other hand - aside from interviews and medical - is completely useless.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all should buy Bailey jerseys. Hehe, okay, at least I'm going to get one.

Bought my son a Tavon already.

I really think 11 and 12 are going to be special!!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
having 3 first round picks and messing them all up...that was a sad day...in 2001..
What's incredible is 17 of the 31 first round picks in 2001 ended up making at least one Pro Bowl. So it was bad luck (45%) for one pick to bust. But *three* picks all busting? Those chances were 9%. Cha-ching! Rams Luck(TM) hits the jackpot.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's incredible is 17 of the 31 first round picks in 2001 ended up making at least one Pro Bowl. So it was bad luck (45%) for one pick to bust. But *three* picks all busting? Those chances were 9%. Cha-ching! Rams Luck(TM) hits the jackpot.

It's probably cuz we got lucky when the perfect storm rolled around in 99, we had to pay back in many years of bad drafting, dysfunctional front office, alienation of our Stars (Bruce, Fletch, Warner,Martz, etc).

But, we are making a comeback Baby.

This is the year of the Rams, the stars are aligning once again!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That wasn't at all what I was trying to point out, but thank you for taking the time to build your strawman. I never once said that they were just as good. I said that there aren't fifteen wide receivers like Bailey that come out every year.

As for college stats being meaningless, how else do you judge players properly? College statistics are the difference between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston; the difference between Luke Kuechly and Mike Mamula.

College stats and tape help with scouting players like Bailey. The Combine, on the other hand - aside from interviews and medical - is completely useless.

Not at all building a strawman. Tape is obviously the number one thing....stats are irrelevant because there are too many variables in place - the competition, system you play in, the players around you...Texas Tech has run the spread offense for YEARS and put up gaudy numbers (also ironically in the Big 12) - yet none of their QBs, and only 3 WRs have really made it in the NFL.

Thanks for making my point on Gholston and Long - they both had 14 sacks their last year of College, yet one is a bust and one is a solid pro.

IMO the combine is more useful for scouting than a players college stats.

I am NOT saying Bailey won't be good - just that he was a 3rd round pick for a reason, in a fairly weak WR class (Tavon, Cordarelle Patterson - not exactly the class from last year), and there are several players on his level of talent in college each year.