WRs who best fit the Rams needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So to begin with as unpredictable as the Rams can be in the draft we know for a certainty that they will be drafting at least one wideout with their first three picks. I say this for a couple reasons: first, they have specifically mentioned the position in interviews, and second, there will be value at one of those first three picks. Thus I am only including the guys who look to go off the board in the first two rounds.

Note in round 1 the WRs only apply IF the Rams aren't looking at one of those top 3 QBs when they're on the clock. Additionally, I am not including slot receivers, injury risks, poor route runners/projects or guys who don't have at least good hands here. These are guys who I see as "fits" for the Rams, to complement Tavon, by giving our QBs some big targets who can catch the ball and move the chains.

Lastly, this is a little early due to the inevitable shuffling that occurs after the 40 times roll in. But the "fit" part of it remains, regardless of whether the feel of where the receiver will go changes.

Round 1

WR Treadwell: top WR in draft, top 10 talent, 99% chance IMO he is gone before Rams draft but if he slides to 15 he will be BPA plus fit a huge need.

WR Doctson: I have him as a second half of round 1 type talent. At 15 he will probably not be pure BPA but should be in the ballpark as long as his 40 time doesn't disappoint. I think he is underrated and will remain so due to his skinny build but this is a guy who comes down with the effin ball, makes tough catches look easy, and is going to grow into a very good to great WR in this league.

WR Thomas: he is an early round 2 type talent due to lack of elite wheels but will be higher on Rams board than some other teams because he is big, plays physical, and has good (not great) hands. If Rams target him chances are they will need to position themselves in late round 1 for him.

Round 2

WR Boyd: I have him as a second half of round 1 type talent, right up there with Doctson, but he's not going to be that high on boards because of his 40 time and slight build. Nice size, excellent route runner who gets open, and he is going to be an impact player right away in the passing game if he goes into the right situation.

WR Shepard: I don't see him as a slot-only WR. He lacks size but his spunk will allow him to play out wide and duke it out against press coverage. Round 2 talent that impressed during Senior Bowl and will probably rise to top of round depending on his 40 time. Even though I want a big WR I really like this guy and hope the Rams are looking at him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyler Boyd is a baller. People are going to wonder why he didn't go round 1 in a few years. Sterling Shepard and Leonte Carroo will be good value outside the first.(if Carroo passes the character tests)

Treadwell will be a good first round pick. I just want the Rams to come away with Boyd. He's what we need. But they'll probably pass on him for a WR with more "upside."

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If they give up a ton of draft capital to move up, then the WR position will be most likely the position that gets hurt the most. Sign Marvin Jones to a 2-3 year deal not crazy money and we can get out of it if need be. Like what we did w/ Britts contract

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So long as they come away with De'Runnya Wilson, I really don't care. I can't justify Carroo as a selection because of multiple character issues. Wilson's only crime was marijuana-related, and he hasn't had problems since.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The rams really need a go to receiver and I'm not sure there is that guy outside of Treadwell. There are some good receivers but most are on the smaller side. Id give a hard thought to Braxton Miller, he seemed to wow the scouts at the sr bowl.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really like Doctson the best out of this crop.

One guy that I really like a little later is Michael Thomas from Southern Miss.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
WR Doctson: I have him as a second half of round 1 type talent. At 15 he will probably not be pure BPA but should be in the ballpark as long as his 40 time doesn't disappoint. I think he is underrated and will remain so due to his skinny build but this is a guy who comes down with the effin ball, makes tough catches look easy, and is going to grow into a very good to great WR in this league.
I'm a Doctson guy also...too many grab type catches....best hands on team type player. We haven't had a wr like this in some time....Wentz/Goff/Lynch need a playmate...
Boyd/Thomas/Fuller/Coleman are great 2nd round options....
Still believe the wr position can be successfully drafted in the 3rd, 4th rounds if you know what you're looking for...Carroo is a real player...glad he sat out the Senior Bowl...keep the hype off him.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016WR.php

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

One guy that I really like a little later is Michael Thomas from Southern Miss.
I have Doctson going late in the 1st round or early in the second. I have heard he has injury questions, but I don't know what they are!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have Doctson going late in the 1st round or early in the second. I have heard he has injury questions, but I don't know what they are!
He broke his wrist during the season and then pulled out of the Senior Bowl because it hadn't fully healed

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Late round option that I'd like to see in horns:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And one more late round guy we've seen on many of the mocks here:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJHNtZ6JoU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Broke many of Larry Fitzgerald's freshman records. Broke Sammy Watkins' freshman record for receptions. Produced in 2014 and 2015 without a NFL caliber QB. Consistently produced in 2015 despite being the focus of every defense after James Conner's injury. Played in a pro style offense. 6'2" 200. Nuanced route runner with the fluidity, quicks, and football IQ to consistently get open in the NFL. Can go up and get the football. Will make tough catches in traffic. Will work the middle of the field. Can make acrobatic catches on poorly thrown footballs. Can win 50/50 balls. Can create yardage after the catch.

And the best point of them all...he's not being touted as a first round prospect right now. This kid is a first round talent but is going to slip because he won't win the underwear olympics. When you watch his games, his film speaks for itself.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Gonna Bandwagon on Tyler Boyd here as well. He's 6ft 2in and plays above it. Great catch radius, making plays outside of his frame. Sure handed and makes catches in traffic.

Fast and shifty enough to make plays as a return man in college as well. Don't know why he isn't getting serious first round consideration.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gonna Bandwagon on Tyler Boyd here as well. He's 6ft 2in and plays above it. Great catch radius, making plays outside of his frame. Sure handed and makes catches in traffic.

Fast and shifty enough to make plays as a return man in college as well. Don't know why he isn't getting serious first round consideration.

Maybe it is because he was not as wide open as expected. Even in those highlights he had tighter cover e rage. In the NFL it will be even tougher to separate. I thought he looked better in 2014 and earlier. That could be that he had a QB with better anticipation throwing to him and that this past season he was the only receiving threat, as Jrry said.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it is because he was not as wide open as expected. Even in those highlights he had tighter cover e rage. In the NFL it will be even tougher to separate. I thought he looked better in 2014 and earlier. That could be that he had a QB with better anticipation throwing to him and that this past season he was the only receiving threat, as Jrry said.

That's one of those things that makes me feel a bit more confident in a WR. In the NFL, it's not easy to get a lot of separation. I want guys that proved they can make catches in traffic and play through contact. Route running can be improved as long as the guy has the physical attributes (Boyd does) and the want-to. But it's a lot harder to project how a guy will deal with contact and catch the ball in traffic if he never really does it at the college level. And if you can't catch the ball consistently in traffic, you better have insane wheels.

It's why I really like what I saw from Treadwell this year.

Another thing I like in Boyd's game is that he gets physical. He's not the biggest or strongest guy but he'll subtly push-off at the last moment when he's in traffic. It's a good trick to have in the NFL.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

I also saw he was suspended a game for DUI. Maybe there's a lingering feeling there that is hurting his stock.

Not a big deal for me though. Young guy, bad decision and clean otherwise. If he interviews well, you take him. Robert Quinn had a DUI in the past (between rookie and 2nd year?) and he hasn't made any bad moves outside of that.

I think those concerns over separation aren't too big a deal either because he obviously has the ability to get open due to his understanding of how to run routes and he does have, in my opinion, considerable speed. Not a DeSean type guy, but I think he runs well enough. Even still, his ability to make space is there. Not gonna be "wide open" often if the defense does it's job and he'll need to make plays in traffic and with a defender near him. He can make those plays. Guy fights for the ball like he's got a few extra inches and pounds on him.

EDIT: Also, of course highlight vids are going to show the most spectacular catches possible. No one wants to see a highlight of Boyd finding a soft spot in a zone to pick up 6 on a 3rd and 4.

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
That's one of those things that makes me feel a bit more confident in a WR. In the NFL, it's not easy to get a lot of separation. I want guys that proved they can make catches in traffic and play through contact. Route running can be improved as long as the guy has the physical attributes (Boyd does) and the want-to. But it's a lot harder to project how a guy will deal with contact and catch the ball in traffic if he never really does it at the college level. And if you can't catch the ball consistently in traffic, you better have insane wheels.

Another thing I like in Boyd's game is that he gets physical. He's not the biggest or strongest guy but he'll subtly push-off at the last moment when he's in traffic. It's a good trick to have in the NFL.

Guys like Anquan Bolden have made a lot off of this.

And at about the 1:04 mark in the second highlight vid you posted, he does exactly what you described. Real subtle push that helps him position himself for a big catch.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Good point. That is what I really like about Treadwell also. I just didn't see Boyd as the same type of receiver. I guess that rule fits across the board though. Kind of what Seattle looked for in Kearse and Baldwin and both have eventually learned to get open more effectively.

tahoe

Pro Bowler

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJHNtZ6JoU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Broke many of Larry Fitzgerald's freshman records. Broke Sammy Watkins' freshman record for receptions. Produced in 2014 and 2015 without a NFL caliber QB. Consistently produced in 2015 despite being the focus of every defense after James Conner's injury. Played in a pro style offense. 6'2" 200. Nuanced route runner with the fluidity, quicks, and football IQ to consistently get open in the NFL. Can go up and get the football. Will make tough catches in traffic. Will work the middle of the field. Can make acrobatic catches on poorly thrown footballs. Can win 50/50 balls. Can create yardage after the catch.

And the best point of them all...he's not being touted as a first round prospect right now. This kid is a first round talent but is going to slip because he won't win the underwear olympics. When you watch his games, his film speaks for itself.

I love his hands and making the contested catches! Also it looks like to me that he has plenty of functional speed, Im guessing he will run around a 4.45 40 dash