Would a snowy Super Bowl threaten game integrity?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ravesty-blizzard-lions-eagles-game-indication

dm_131208_nfl_lesean_mccoy_interview.jpg

PHILADELPHIA – This was fun. Despite a weather forecast that called for a mere dusting, theDetroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles played in a surprise blizzard Sunday. Snow started falling about 90 minutes before kickoff, and it didn't relent until early in the fourth quarter.

The field was covered before kickoff. The grounds crew could not keep up. They shoveled the yard lines and goal lines at every opportunity during the game but opted not to plow at halftime. There was just too much snow and not enough time or places to put it. The storm won. In all, eight inches fell in Lincoln Financial Field during the Eagles' 34-20 win.

Imagine football in a snow globe.

It was a beautiful, iconic afternoon that no one who attended will forget. It just wasn't the way a Super Bowl should be decided.

But that's exactly what might happen.

Want to see what a Super Bowl in a blizzard would look like? Look no further than the Lions-Eagles matchup. This game was a preview of how Super Bowl XLVIII could look at MetLife Stadium in North Jersey, thanks to the National Football League's insistence on holding its signature event outdoors in cold weather for the first time.

Detroit fumbled the ball seven times, five on botched center-to-quarterback exchanges and four in the first quarter alone. Neither team attempted a field goal. It was touchdown or bust. Both teams went for two every time they scored a touchdown. After drawing a penalty on a two-point conversion, the Lions attempted a longer PAT, only to watch the Eagles block David Akers' kick.

As they figured out what strategy to employ given the conditions, the Eagles finished the first quarter with minus-2 yards of offense. "God forbid we continue to do that, that was going to be a long day for us," Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly said. The Eagles entered Week 14 with the league's third-ranked offense but had only 90 yards by halftime and no third-down conversions.

Defensive backs could not stay with receivers on post routes or fades. It was so difficult to cover receivers running in deep snow that Eagles cornerback Cary Williams advised Kelly to go back to throwing deep in the second half. Kelly listened. And it worked.

Trailing 14-0 in the third quarter, Eagles quarterback Nick Foles hit wide receiver Riley Cooperwith a 44-yard pass that finally got Philadelphia's offense moving. DeSean Jackson caught a 19-yard Foles pass on the next play to pull the Eagles within 14-6.

"It was almost like that kind of got us going, got our confidence back a little bit," Kelly said. "And then we got rolling there."

LeSean McCoy broke the Eagles' single-game rushing record by gaining 217 yards on 29 carries, but he needed to get through only a defense line essentially playing on ice skates and into the open field to score. McCoy scored on runs of 40 and 57 yards, both in the fourth quarter.

"They warned us it could be bad," McCoy said, "but not this bad."

It was, as Philadelphia rookie offensive linemanLane Johnson said, "like cows on ice."

That's not the way football is supposed to be played. If it were, the season would open on Nov. 1 and go through the end of March.

It was certainly fascinating to see so much snow and players having to adjust. At halftime, players from both teams experimented with various shoes in an attempt to get better footing. It didn't matter. The snow fell steadily until early in the fourth quarter, when it slowed but never really stopped. In all, there were eight inches on the ground, with only the yard lines remotely clear.

Ball handling, as Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said, was "at a premium." It is why Philadelphia put Foles under center and utilized inside runs.

Linemen loved the game because it was decided in the trenches, but neither team resembled its normal self. Detroit had been stout against the run, yet gave up 299 rushing yards. The Eagles had been prolific throwing the ball, yet Foles completed only 11 passes.

Imagine if you worked the entire season to build your team's identity and then had to completely adjust because of a snowstorm in the biggest game?

That shouldn't happen. Severe weather should not be an issue. Rain is one thing, and that is bad enough. But a blizzard, in which teams can't kick field goals because the footing is so poor and offensive skill position players have a distinct advantage because defenders can't run and cut the way they normally do? That shouldn't be a concern.

Yet it could be on Feb. 2 at the Meadowlands, if the Farmer's Almanac is right. Its prediction for Feb. 1-3: "Intense storm, heavy rain, snow, strong winds. This could seriously impact Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2."

If there is a blizzard on the night of Feb. 2, it could turn out to be either the coolest game ever or a farce. Opinion would be divided, as it was between the teams that played Sunday in Philadelphia. It was a lot easier to enjoy the conditions if you were on the winning side.

Eagles center Jason Kelce had the best suggestion for what he'd like to see happen on Super Bowl Sunday.

"Hopefully it doesn't snow that bad," Kelce said. "But a little trickle down, that would set the mood off pretty well."

The NFL can only hope that is the worst thing that happens.

ram29jackson

Rookie
they did it in the 40s and 50s and a couple games in the 70s were cold and gloomy. They can do it now. Football has always been about adversity. Just more excuses for humans to gripe about something

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
they did it in the 40s and 50s and a couple games in the 70s were cold and gloomy. They can do it now. Football has always been about adversity. Just more excuses for humans to gripe about something

A good part of me agrees with you.

But do the Rams still beat the Titans in SB34 in the snow? It's impossible to say, but definitely what got us there would be compromised in those conditions.

Me; I want a dome. No climate influence on the game.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I love snow bowls, and a super bowl snow bowl would be awesome. Both teams have to deal with it. Why shouldnt it be a way a SB is decided? How is it not supposed to be how football is played? If that were true, every team would be a dome team with the same climate within. Is football not meant to be played in Florida with 100% humidity and blazing sun? How about in Chicago when there are 40+ mph winds?

People need to stop being such pansies about this and just let them play ball.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
The superbowl is about proving who is the years best team. IMHO the best team overcomes adversity to win games weathe its injurys bad plays or WEATHER.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Integrity? They even mention that word after they let the Cheatriots steal 3 Lombardi trophies and get away with it? And they also helped the Stealers win two superbowls so the league could make more money on merchandise. And that's just for starters, don't get me going!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
To the comment of dome game hell no. All through the season games were played in the weather and elements including the playoffs no reason the superbowl shouldn't be.

Domes need to go away period

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I want to watch football not a circus act. I dont want to see the center and qb fumbling the ball over and over

duckhunter

Starter
Oh my, no, fellas. Mittens and scarves are out this year.

Didn't the Commish get the memo. The girls just won't stand for it.

No woohoo for you bad boys.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I believe the game that determines the Champion should be about insuring that the winner was the best team. It should be all about Mano Y Mano,,, team vs team. Nothing else.

I think it's fucking stupid to possibly have the league Champion be decided by which team got the lucky fluke bounce in the white-out snow covered field.

I think temperatures below 60 degrees are freezing btw.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If the weather was that bad I'd be perfectly fine with it. Regular season games and playoff games are played in bad weather. PManning won his SB ring in a heavy rain I bet he didn't complain about climate controlled environs. It's not played in a vacuum, sorry.

Plus it'll be funny to see the corporate ticket holders leave the stadium to hike back to the sponsor tents for some warmth and booze and leave the stadium empty.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe the game that determines the Champion should be about insuring that the winner was the best team. It should be all about Mano Y Mano,,, team vs team. Nothing else.

I think it's freaking stupid to possibly have the league Champion be decided by which team got the lucky fluke bounce in the white-out snow covered field.

I think temperatures below 60 degrees are freezing btw.

Oh shut it tropical boy. Games are decided by stiff breezes moving a kick a few feet left or right.

Yer spoiled by the wonderful weather, but football is fine outside. It's not a hothouse flower like you lol.

And champions have been decided by lucky fluke bounces in perfect weather and indoor games. The ball isn't round, it bounces funny.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Oh shut it tropical boy. Games are decided by stiff breezes moving a kick a few feet left or right.

Yer spoiled by the wonderful weather, but football is fine outside. It's not a hothouse flower like you lol.

And champions have been decided by lucky fluke bounces in perfect weather and indoor games. The ball isn't round, it bounces funny.

You sound like someone who comes from the Cleveland area or something. I think the cold warps your minds.

I really prefer a neutral field in the league championship though. I think the home field advantage (even if it's weather related) is a great and important part of the game and playoffs (especially the playoffs). I just don't want it in the Super Bowl.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Sometimes the weather sucks and they play the game anyway. Fine. BUT. If the game were meant to be played in foul weather every week, the season would start in Nov.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I comin' out on Selassie's side. Ask the Lion's D how fair it was. A defense that's normally strong against the run couldn't get any traction against an offensive line on pure forward momentum.

bluecoconuts

Legend
As fun as that game on Sunday was, it was sloppy and slow. I wouldn't enjoy the Super Bowl as much if it was like that.