Wisdom tooth pain relief

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I got some orajel today, been using that for the last 6 hours and has helped somewhat, can at least close my mouth without a stabbing pain. Calling Monday to the Dentist to see about getting it checked out and crap. Hopefully can get it done soon.

ON A SERIOUS NOTE........

There is only one option and that's to have it pulled and if you wait it's going to get infected, if you can't close your mouth then you should walk into a dentist and ask for help, they will probably take you right away in your condition.

If an infection sets in you're going to be hating life.

RamzFanz

Damnit
For the last 3-4 days my gums on the lower right side have been inflamed badly due to my wisdoms back there. Just wondering if anyone knew any way to relieve the pain and make it bearable to eat without feeling like im getting stabbed in the gums every bite.

Have tried sea salt and hot water and rinsing, helped a little bit for a very short time. Have taken tons of ibprofen, have used warm mouth wash, have cleaned the infection with hydrogen peroxide, rubbed it with oil, etc. you get the point.

This happens about once every 6-12 months, and always sucks bad.

Just wondering if any of you knew a way to relieve it or make it heal faster.

Gonna get them pulled once I get dental and crap eventually, but for now just want to ease this crap till it goes away again. Thanks for any advice.

Crack or Meth is your best bet.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ON A SERIOUS NOTE........

There is only one option and that's to have it pulled and if you wait it's going to get infected, if you can't close your mouth then you should walk into a dentist and ask for help, they will probably take you right away in your condition.

If an infection sets in you're going to be hating life.

setting an appointment monday :) seems ok at the moment(as best as possible i guess)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Tron - what's the news on your tooth so we can all have some closure?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here is my little Wisdom tooth horror story. I had the top ones pulled when I was in college. As usual it hurt like hell. I was swollen and in pain. It was the end of winter break so I had the unenviable task of getting ready to go back to good ole PSU with a sore mouth. The night before I had to leave, I was packing and I had my suitcase on the floor. I bent over to put some clothes in it. It was around 11:00 PM, when my mouth instantly filled with blood. I don't mean a little. This was an insane amount of blood. I could feel it running down my throat as I ran to the bathroom. I got to the toilet and opened my mouth in horror to see all of this blood running out of my mouth. I stuffed a washcloth in my mouth and ran downstairs to my mother in the kitchen. She couldn't believe her eyes as the washcloth saturated and the blood began to drip from it. She grabbed a saucepan from the cabinet, to catch the blood and we ran for the car and headed to the hospital. Fortunately we have a major medical center in our very small town. It was five minutes away.

So, I get to the ER and they rush me to a room where I sit in a chair waiting. The nurse brings in a suction machine and tells me to hold it in my mouth. I am thinking 'What the hell? I need this blood in my body! Not sucked into some machine." A young resident doctor casually walks into the room and assures me that he will have it fixed in a jiffy. The nurse brings in a suture kit and he starts poking around in my mouth. He seemed quite alarmed at the amount of blood that was still coming from the area of the surgery. He was so alarmed that his hands began shaking and he forgot to give me novacaine to dull the pain as he attempted to sew the hole shut. I didn't stop him though because I wanted it stopped ASAP! So he sutured the hole shut only to find that it didn't work. When your tooth is pulled there is a socket left behind and the bleeder was at the top of the socket of this socket. So he probably should have clamped the hole shut but I don't know if I would have lived through that pain. By the time he realized that this thing was not stopping and I was going into shock because my entire body was shaking, he had me on a stretcher rushing to the OR. I watched as I looked at my parents fearing that it was the last time I would ever see them again. I get to the Operating room and the anesthesiologist informs me that it is far to dangerous to put me to sleep the conventional way, by knocking me out with meds and then intubating me, because the blood would run into my lungs and drown me. So he said he was going to do it while I was awake! That is something I would not wish on anyone. He comes at my throat with an enormous syringe. Fortunately it was not as painful as I feared. He stuck it through the front of my neck and sprayed Lidocaine into my throat. Then the bad part was next. He took one of those metal L shaped tongue depressors with the ridges on it and stuck it into my mouth all the way into my throat. He pulled my tongue back and put the intubation tube down my throat and told me to keep swallowing and relax as he pulled hard on the tongue depressor. It took several tries and it was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever felt. It feels like you are choking and instead of trying to stop choking you are supposed to accept it and let it happen. Fortunately after three tries he got the tube into my airway/lungs and he said "Goodnight". Just like that, I was out....thank God. It was 3:00 AM

I awoke the next morning puking up dried blood, or coffee grounds as they call them. The Doctors told me that I lost a third of my blood and I was not going back to college for a few weeks...and that I was lucky to be alive. When I did return to college I was very tired and it was tough to go to classes all day. It took over a month to start feeling strong again. I remember every detail of that day like it was my last.

BTW, This is not a normal occurrence by any means. I don't want to alarm anyone that is headed for wisdom teeth surgery.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Here is my little Wisdom tooth horror story. I had the top ones pulled when I was in college. As usual it hurt like hell. I was swollen and in pain. It was the end of winter break so I had the unenviable task of getting ready to go back to good ole PSU with a sore mouth. The night before I had to leave, I was packing and I had my suitcase on the floor. I bent over to put some clothes in it. It was around 11:00 PM, when my mouth instantly filled with blood. I don't mean a little. This was an insane amount of blood. I could feel it running down my throat as I ran to the bathroom. I got to the toilet and opened my mouth in horror to see all of this blood running out of my mouth. I stuffed a washcloth in my mouth and ran downstairs to my mother in the kitchen. She couldn't believe her eyes as the washcloth saturated and the blood began to drip from it. She grabbed a saucepan from the cabinet, to catch the blood and we ran for the car and headed to the hospital. Fortunately we have a major medical center in our very small town. It was five minutes away.

So, I get to the ER and they rush me to a room where I sit in a chair waiting. The nurse brings in a suction machine and tells me to hold it in my mouth. I am thinking 'What the hell? I need this blood in my body! Not sucked into some machine." A young resident doctor casually walks into the room and assures me that he will have it fixed in a jiffy. The nurse brings in a suture kit and he starts poking around in my mouth. He seemed quite alarmed at the amount of blood that was still coming from the area of the surgery. He was so alarmed that his hands began shaking and he forgot to give me novacaine to dull the pain as he attempted to sew the hole shut. I didn't stop him though because I wanted it stopped ASAP! So he sutured the hole shut only to find that it didn't work. When your tooth is pulled there is a socket left behind and the bleeder was at the top of the socket of this socket. So he probably should have clamped the hole shut but I don't know if I would have lived through that pain. By the time he realized that this thing was not stopping and I was going into shock because my entire body was shaking, he had me on a stretcher rushing to the OR. I watched as I looked at my parents fearing that it was the last time I would ever see them again. I get to the Operating room and the anesthesiologist informs me that it is far to dangerous to put me to sleep the conventional way, by knocking me out with meds and then intubating me, because the blood would run into my lungs and drown me. So he said he was going to do it while I was awake! That is something I would not wish on anyone. He comes at my throat with an enormous syringe. Fortunately it was not as painful as I feared. He stuck it through the front of my neck and sprayed Lidocaine into my throat. Then the bad part was next. He took one of those metal L shaped tongue depressors with the ridges on it and stuck it into my mouth all the way into my throat. He pulled my tongue back and put the intubation tube down my throat and told me to keep swallowing and relax as he pulled hard on the tongue depressor. It took several tries and it was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever felt. It feels like you are choking and instead of trying to stop choking you are supposed to accept it and let it happen. Fortunately after three tries he got the tube into my airway/lungs and he said "Goodnight". Just like that, I was out....thank God. It was 3:00 AM

I awoke the next morning puking up dried blood, or coffee grounds as they call them. The Doctors told me that I lost a third of my blood and I was not going back to college for a few weeks...and that I was lucky to be alive. When I did return to college I was very tired and it was tough to go to classes all day. It took over a month to start feeling strong again. I remember every detail of that day like it was my last.

BTW, This is not a normal occurrence by any means. I don't want to alarm anyone that is headed for wisdom teeth surgery.

jesus, that would make me not want to get any pulled ever....glad you didnt post this before monday lol. Glad you made it through man, but sorry it was so horrible.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Tron - what's the news on your tooth so we can all have some closure?

Sorry man, forgot to post. The dentist was able to fit me in for an examination on Monday morning when I called. After checking me out and doing the x-rays and shit, wanted to pull all four of my wisdom teeth out, along with an extended cleanign and eventually deep cleanings(under my gums) at some point as well since my teeth are shitty.

They said they could do the cleaning and take out all my wisdom teeth out right then if I wanted. I told him I just wanted the one out. didn't feel like spending a bunch more money to get them pulled when they have yet to bother me.

Decided to go through with the cleaning since its been a long time, so they had someone clean my teeth for 45 minutes. Anyway, after that it was time for the Wisdom tooth.

Dentist came in, injected me around the tooth like 3 or 4 times(needles in the mouth always hurt like a bitch). After that just sat there while my mouth numbed up, then he came back and in about 5 minutes got the tooth out, didnt hurt one bit.

Now its 2 1/2 days later and the hole is getting close to being shut. Been taking the pain killers and anti-biotics. Pain meds have helped a bunch.

The worst part is not smoking. Really don't want that dry socket thing, so holding off on smoking at least another day or so. They said I could smoke after 72 hours with no problem, but I have read some still got it after a bunch of days so idk.

Anyone a smoker who had them pulled and smoked after at some point?

But yea, feels so much better now, I mean it hurts where it was pulled of course, but it doesnt hurt nearly as bad as this past weekend before getting it pulled. And its hurting less and less daily also. Great decision to get it pulled.

PhxRam

So exactly what was the problem?

Great story..

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So exactly what was the problem?

Great story..

Good question.

What was the actual problem that made your mouth bleed like a river?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have a hemangioma tumor that makes up the upper left palate. I was born with it. They are not uncommon, but the location of mine is. And it is colored like the inside of my mouth. Usually they are bright pink. They don't come from an outside source. It is something the body creates. They are very vascular, so they are prone to bleeding if cut. The untrained eye wouldn't be able to see it but I am well aware of it, because when I get a cold it hurts. The Doctor did the prep work and had an angiogram done to locate it. I gave myself blood for weeks before the surgery. The Doctors knew the risk but they expected it during surgery. They used the blood during surgery to replace the loss. They said I was free and clear afterward. So they thought.

PhxRam

I have a hemangioma tumor that makes up the upper left palate. I was born with it. They are not uncommon, but the location of mine is. And it is colored like the inside of my mouth. Usually they are bright pink. They don't come from an outside source. It is something the body creates. They are very vascular, so they are prone to bleeding if cut. The untrained eye wouldn't be able to see it but I am well aware of it, because when I get a cold it hurts. The Doctor did the prep work and had an angiogram done to locate it. I gave myself blood for weeks before the surgery. The Doctors knew the risk but they expected it during surgery. They used the blood during surgery to replace the loss. They said I was free and clear afterward. So they thought.

I mean the initial reason for the bleeding.. What caused it? The dentist?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No, I had an oral surgeon do the work. The tumor runs through the area that the wisdom teeth are in. They knew they could nick or weaken a vein from the tumor when extracting the teeth. They didn't think they did but they were wrong. The hemangioma is full of veins and capillaries and they believe they irritated and exposed a vein and the pressure from bending over caused it to burst. In the OR they packed the cavity with gel foam. The bleeder was at the top of the socket so there was no other way to put pressure on it. The gel foam makes the blood coagulate and completely filled the socket. Then they sewed it shut to keep the foam in place.

I was worried for weeks until the socket completely healed in.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I got an idea for you
JiggerBourbon.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Holy shit! I've logged many an hour in a dentist's chair bot never experienced anything like that! They did have to stop Nascar qualifying once on account of me having an abscessed tooth in the infield. This was a long time ago. The driver on his qualifying lap was Buddy Baker.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sorry man, forgot to post. The dentist was able to fit me in for an examination on Monday morning when I called. After checking me out and doing the x-rays and crap, wanted to pull all four of my wisdom teeth out, along with an extended cleanign and eventually deep cleanings(under my gums) at some point as well since my teeth are crappy.

They said they could do the cleaning and take out all my wisdom teeth out right then if I wanted. I told him I just wanted the one out. didn't feel like spending a bunch more money to get them pulled when they have yet to bother me.

Decided to go through with the cleaning since its been a long time, so they had someone clean my teeth for 45 minutes. Anyway, after that it was time for the Wisdom tooth.

Dentist came in, injected me around the tooth like 3 or 4 times(needles in the mouth always hurt like a bitch). After that just sat there while my mouth numbed up, then he came back and in about 5 minutes got the tooth out, didnt hurt one bit.

Now its 2 1/2 days later and the hole is getting close to being shut. Been taking the pain killers and anti-biotics. Pain meds have helped a bunch.

The worst part is not smoking. Really don't want that dry socket thing, so holding off on smoking at least another day or so. They said I could smoke after 72 hours with no problem, but I have read some still got it after a bunch of days so idk.

Anyone a smoker who had them pulled and smoked after at some point?

But yea, feels so much better now, I mean it hurts where it was pulled of course, but it doesnt hurt nearly as bad as this past weekend before getting it pulled. And its hurting less and less daily also. Great decision to get it pulled.

Glad to hear that puppy is yanked. Sounds like a great time to quit smoking dude.