Wisdom from the enemy? Whiner board HC search thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
That's definitely the big question. Doesn't matter how good of a HC you are, without a quality staff you'll fail. Who he wants to bring in (and who he'd actually bring in) are important factors in these interviews. We'll see if he gets hired, and what he does.

Kevin on the "search" podcast said sometimes you need to allow a coach 2 years to get "their" coaching staff to where they really want it.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
30 seconds on their board and I had to leave. Site sucks ass. Not user friendly at all. Just the format they use hurts my eyes. I'm glad ROD actually cares what the site looks like. Unlike that horse crap excuse of a site.

Funny, I did the same thing. Wasn't worth my time navigating through on that site. We are lucky over here!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
You also failed to answer my question. It wasn't rhetorical. How is McVay different than Linehan?

I'm fluent in sarcasm, so...

I say "pass" on McVay not because he lacks head coaching experience, but rather the fact that he's young (lacking general life experience) and hasn't been in the NFL that long. I mean, seriously... are we going to put a thirty year old in charge of an NFL team?

As Rams fans, we've endured inept offenses since 2006, so I get that it's the popular move to latch onto whatever the popular, successful offensive coordinator is. It's only natural. But, I'm a major believer that history repeats itself, and in my opinion, hiring a super young guy to control an NFL team isn't the best move for long term success.

My choice (outside of Payton) is McDaniels, so my opinion is already an unpopular one on this board. Just my two cents tho.

Yes cause hiring the old vet hc worked out so well didn't it Ala Jeff Fisher.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
"So I hung out with Sean McVay on Memorial Day weekend in 2013 on my buddies boat. At the time he was just the tight ends coach for the Redskins. I had no idea who he was until my buddy told me. He was dating my buddies wife's friend. I was that annoying guy who had to approach him and talk football lol. We talked a lot about the 49ers. I remember him being very knowledgeable of the game but also feeling like how is this guy a pro coach? I'm 6 years older than him for gosh shakes. Anyway very cool guy.

Btw we killed it at flip cup at the end of the night lol"

I'm getting some good insight here...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
You also failed to answer my question. It wasn't rhetorical. How is McVay different than Linehan?

I'm fluent in sarcasm, so...

I say "pass" on McVay not because he lacks head coaching experience, but rather the fact that he's young (lacking general life experience) and hasn't been in the NFL that long. I mean, seriously... are we going to put a thirty year old in charge of an NFL team?

As Rams fans, we've endured inept offenses since 2006, so I get that it's the popular move to latch onto whatever the popular, successful offensive coordinator is. It's only natural. But, I'm a major believer that history repeats itself, and in my opinion, hiring a super young guy to control an NFL team isn't the best move for long term success.

My choice (outside of Payton) is McDaniels, so my opinion is already an unpopular one on this board. Just my two cents tho.

This is really starting to sound like a setup so of Mcvay isn't in the playoffs you can scream I was right. If your only argument is he's to young there really isn't an argument other then your opinion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think you'll find many differences between coordinators-turned-first-time-HCs. As there is no body of work as a head coach, it's all based on potential, vetting, references, and body of work as a coordinator. That, in and of itself, doesn't mean they're unqualified or that they're a risk. Wanting an experienced head coach to fill the vacancy was a legitimate wish, but so is the alternative. You can find successes and failures across the entire spectrum where coordinator is one point and experienced HC is the polar opposite, so naming specific examples of failure can always be countered with specific examples of success. And vice-versa. Of course it's all moot now, so there's nothing to do but support the decision, fairly criticize when warranted, and see how it all turns out.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
This is really starting to sound like a setup so of Mcvay isn't in the playoffs you can scream I was right. If your only argument is he's to young there really isn't an argument other then your opinion.

I posted all of this a few days before McVay was hired....