Will we see Sam Rogers in 2018?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If this^ is accurate, and McVay's Line of thinking. Then why is he even on the Roster, let alone signed to a "Future's Contract"!?! they must have something in mind for him!

Because he's a good practice player and they wanted to give him one year of strength & conditioning. Rogers first one on the field for practice, but we're communicating about game, not practice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It depends on how his weight training has gone. He clearly needed to bulk up - and for some positions, you just aren't NFL ready coming right out. Not very many rookie FBs out there making plays - it takes a while for the body type to develop. I did notice they kept him around all year.

If he isn't ready, I suspect to see another fullback brought in because I do think its a package they want to have available.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Remember that McVay is aware that he will need to change up his offense as they have quite a bit of film to study on the Rams now.

Confusing the opposing defense with a fullback who can catch would be a big plus. Rogers specialty is catching passes out of the backfield.

Of course he will have to be able to pass protect when needed, lead block, make short yardage first downs.

They drafted the guy with a plan in mind. It's up to Rogers to prove that he can help them carry out that plan.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember that McVay is aware that he will need to change up his offense as they have quite a bit of film to study on the Rams now.

Confusing the opposing defense with a fullback who can catch would be a big plus. Rogers specialty is catching passes out of the backfield.

Of course he will have to be able to pass protect when needed, lead block, make short yardage first downs.

They drafted the guy with a plan in mind. It's up to Rogers to prove that he can help them carry out that plan.

This.

In McVay's first draft as a head coach, with a lot of needs to draft including switching from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4, he still used a 6th on a fullback. That tells me that McVay envisions his offense as running even better with a viable fullback. Rogers has had a year to bulk up to NFL standards. I think he either makes the 53, or is cut at this stage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah I think he'll have a chance. He's got to be able to hold his water in pass pro, and be able to seal things off in the hole, and if he can do that plus add value on teams the roster spot should follow. Not worried at all about his hands, as you said he's a good receiver in spite of some limitations.

FB fortunately isn't a position where you need to have an elite athlete or size/speed dude. Lot of it is will and heart to put the team first. I like the guy, and hope to see him flashing come camp that's for sure.