Will the grass field in the Coliseum negate some of our team speed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I have thought about this one since the move was announced and they stated where games would be played. This team (the last few years) has had an advantage when on turf. The team speed was evident. Quinn, Ogletree, Jenkins and McDonald used their speed to make plays that other teams had trouble matching up with. Tavon was usually the fasted guy on the field and everyone expected big days when we were dancing on the fake stuff. The nemesis of this team, was the real stuff. And now we have in for 7 (actually 8 because Wembly has it too....) games and even more if we visit teams that have it. And while it's true both teams have to line up and play on the same stuff, it was always cited as an advantage in STL. But now?
I would love to hear the thoughts on this one. Especially from a few California guys who know the reputation of the turf in the Coliseum because of USC games. (fast track, slow track, USC likes it longer to slow down the opponent, USC likes it cut shorter to emphasis their team speed......) While I always know the particulars of USC games, I don't follow them closely here in the Midwest....
Thanks in advance.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Won't the grass slow down the opposing team equally?

I mean, shouldn't the "grass effect" cancel itself out, relatively speaking?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With the "new" field turf surfaces used now across the league the impact is negligible. These aren't the "Astro Turf" fields of the olden days where it was like playing on a carpet.

These newer artificial surfaces are more "grasslike" than anything. The blades of turf are as long as most grass fields. And with all the rubber pellets used it actually plays slower in most cases. If you've ever been on one you'd understand. In fact, many of the natural grass fields May in fact play "faster" than the Field Turf surfaces.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I have thought about this one since the move was announced and they stated where games would be played. This team (the last few years) has had an advantage when on turf. The team speed was evident. Quinn, Ogletree, Jenkins and McDonald used their speed to make plays that other teams had trouble matching up with. Tavon was usually the fasted guy on the field and everyone expected big days when we were dancing on the fake stuff. The nemesis of this team, was the real stuff. And now we have in for 7 (actually 8 because Wembly has it too....) games and even more if we visit teams that have it. And while it's true both teams have to line up and play on the same stuff, it was always cited as an advantage in STL. But now?
I would love to hear the thoughts on this one. Especially from a few California guys who know the reputation of the turf in the Coliseum because of USC games. (fast track, slow track, USC likes it longer to slow down the opponent, USC likes it cut shorter to emphasis their team speed......) While I always know the particulars of USC games, I don't follow them closely here in the Midwest....
Thanks in advance.
Yes it will equally negate both teams speed by an amount that relatively speaking is inconsequential .

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I understand the "it affects both teams" concept, but the confidence of "having an advantage" is a strong motivator. But Coach O is correct. (great to hear from you Coach....). They have changed turf very much over the years. But you still hear the concept of "fast track" or "quick track" used in regards to some fields. But is the field in the coliseum a "fast track" or a "lucky to be alive" track (i.e. Santa Clara......one of the newest fields but one of the worst....).

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
You are right....but I don't think whichever England stadium they are playing in will have turf.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Yes, to a degree. Another question to ponder is will this lessen our injuries?
Great reply. I haven't even got to that part....it's usually late July before I go holding my breath.............:death:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.collegegridirons.com/pac12/LAColiseum.htm

lacol13_top.jpg

-Capacity: 92,000
-Surface: Grass

Site of the Olympic Games, the Super Bowl and the World Series, the Los Angeles Coliseum has hosted many great games during its existence. Although many teams have played at the coliseum throughout its history, one has been constant, the University of Southern California Trojans. Construction of a football stadium in the City of Los Angeles began in the early 1920s. Completed in less than two years, the USC Trojans played the first game ever at the Coliseum on October 6, 1923 against Pomona College. Nearly 76,000 bleacher seats circled the entire field.

By 1930, the City of Los Angeles was awarded the 1932 Olympics. Over $950,000 was spent to enlarge the stadium to seat nearly 101,000 fans for the summer games. Although built primarily for football, in April 1958, the Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB) moved to the coliseum while their baseball stadium, Dodger Stadium, was constructed.

In 1959, a football game between USC and Ohio State was played at the coliseum. A hour after its completion, the first World Series game in California was played. The Dodgers moved out of the coliseum after the 1961 season.

After its addition in the 1930s, the Los Angeles Coliseum changed very little until the 1990s. In 1993 a $15 million renovation project was completed as actual seats were installed, replacing the bleachers, and fourteen rows of seats were added, raising the capacity to 92,000 after the field was lowered 14 feet. Unfortunately, a massive earthquake in 1994 required over $93 million in repairs.
University-of-Southern-Ca-Stadiums-Full-Memorial-Stadium-on-Gameday-USC-S-X-00022lg.jpg
Prior to the 1995 season, a new press box was constructed at a cost of $6 million. Although the stadium has a seating capacity of 92,000, the Trojans often cover some of the seats lowering the seating capacity to 68,000. Other than being home of the Trojans, the Los Angeles Coliseum has also been the home of the NFL's Raiders and Rams.

The Coliseum has been the home of many great sporting events including the 1932 and 1984 Olympics, the 1959 World Series and Super Bowl games. At the coliseum, the Trojans have been one of the most dominant teams in college football winning 38 conference titles, 11 national championships and home of seven Heisman Trophy winners.

In October 2015 USC announced plans for a $270 million renovation of the coliseum. The project would commence at the end of the 2017 season and be finished by the start of the 2019 season. It reduces the seating capacity to 77,500 as every seat is replaced with wider ones, increases the number of aisles and includes the construction of a new building on the south side of the stadium that will contain new luxury suties, club seats and a press box.

Additionally, the iconic peristyle will be restored to more closely resemble the stadium's original design. Two new HD videoboards will be instealled at the east end of the stadium. This project will not displace the Trojans during the 2018 season.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rWvLpCJFY

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Probably negate some of our speed yes. I hate grass. The newest kind of grass like turf is the best to play on. And yes, at 48 years old I still play a lot of "flag" football. On turf. Turf is awesome.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I personally like the grass/mud stains natural grass leaves on the jerseys. Looks like they are really battling out there.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The playing surface does not make players faster or slower DNA does and playing on grass will not change anyones DNA so the Rams will not lose any advantage. During the GSOT years the Rams had a better record on grass than turf so it only matters to the media trying to make something outta nothing.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The playing surface does not make players faster or slower DNA does and playing on grass will not change anyones DNA so the Rams will not lose any advantage.
The Philly website state that artificial turf helps football players with agility drills. According to the October 2010 issue of the "Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research," college football players were 3 percent faster on an artificial turf over a grass surface, although it only slightly changed their 40-yard dash times.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/551849-the-40-yard-dash-on-the-track-vs-turf/

This insert from this web page referencing a colume seems to disagree w/ your analysis.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
The Philly website state that artificial turf helps football players with agility drills. According to the October 2010 issue of the "Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research," college football players were 3 percent faster on an artificial turf over a grass surface, although it only slightly changed their 40-yard dash times.

This insert from this web page referencing a colume seems to disagree w/ your analysis.

I was wondering about this..straight line speed different than cuts etc. Thanks for beating me to it!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
One thing it should do is lesson the wear a tear on Gurley. Great for him not to have to play those 8 games a year at the EJD.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
With the "new" field turf surfaces used now across the league the impact is negligible. These aren't the "Astro Turf" fields of the olden days where it was like playing on a carpet.

These newer artificial surfaces are more "grasslike" than anything. The blades of turf are as long as most grass fields. And with all the rubber pellets used it actually plays slower in most cases. If you've ever been on one you'd understand. In fact, many of the natural grass fields May in fact play "faster" than the Field Turf surfaces.

Nice to see you around.

I've walked on the stuff before and you are right on the money.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

The playing surface has an equal effect on players of both teams. If player A is faster then player B, it doesnt matter if they are on grass, turf, concrete,mud or any other surface. Any benefit player A recieves from turf, player B will also recieve so no real advantage for anyone.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I personally like the grass/mud stains natural grass leaves on the jerseys. Looks like they are really battling out there.
I love seeing games on Grass because it takes me Back to the "Good Old Days!!":snicker::popcorn::shades:

130604111423-deacon-jones-merlin-olsen-079009811-single-image-cut.jpg

deacon_jones_1969_09_13.jpg

Merlin%20Olsen3.jpg

Olsen vs Viks.jpg
VikingsRams60s.jpg

Edit: " In Bad Weather it makes for exciting Football!!"

Last edited: