Why would you go to a Football Game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend

You either have bad eyes or a bad TV, puck is incredibly easy to follow. Before when TV quality was poor that was maybe a valid argument (although it still wasn't that hard) but today? Not a chance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
for behind the bench its like 1.5k

But there is a 20 year waiting list for season tickets here. So kind of expected.
Not sure what people are telling you but this is for the Chargers game.Row 5 section 125 on Stubhub
upload_2014-8-29_10-10-11.png

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Home or away, the experience of a game live and in person is hard to beat. I've now been to more games in enemy territory than home games for my Rams. and though it's been quite a drought, no game I have watched compared to coming back from 17 down to the seachickens to beat them in overtime in their own nest. It certainly helped that my Dad flew up to go to the game with me and my buddies. We hadn't been to a game since shortly after the Rams moved into the Big A. Now THAT was a venue unworthy of a pro football game and still it was fun.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Future is in home viewing. 20 years from now 30k will be a decent crowd in some stadiums.
It's true, really Jerry Jones didn't do himself many favors building a stadium for 100K+ People. It just isn't conducive to an enjoyable football experience. Sure there's people watching and other shit to distract you from the game, but if you're dropping the coin to see the game, shouldn't that be the focus?

I was shocked to learn that the new Vikings stadium will hold 73K. The Metrodome (only) held 64K and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. They claim the new stadium will also have great views from all vantage points, but who knows.
Rams will be in Minneapolis at the Gopher's stadium next season which only seats like 50K. I think it'll be a really cool experience to be in such a tight space for the big show.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
When I had season tickets, we kind of had a community going in our section. Lot of folks from different parts of town, different jobs and outlooks on things, but all Rams fans who showed up on Sundays.

They weren't the best seats in the house, and those years from '96-'98 were pretty lean. But I wouldn't trade those games with those guys in '99-'01 for anything. We didn't know each other before, but we had a bond over that group doing something really special.

I guess it's like anything else. Do you need to see your favorite band live in order to appreciate their music? Of course not. Some may argue that the sound quality is better on their home system, it's cheaper, don't have to deal with traffic and expensive incidentals.

But when your seeing that band live, with a bunch of people who also dig that music - man that's priceless. To me at least.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I actually enjoy both, as a season ticket holder its great to be at the 8 regular season games each year. You develop friendships with fellow fans who sit by you plus the tailgating experience itself is fun. The atmosphere can be flat out electric nothing like 3rd and 10 with the home crowd going crazy and the visiting team gets a false start or has to take a timeout because they can't hear the calls on the field. For my Rams brothers who do go to live games down at the Dome you have got to love the clips the Rams play to get the dome rocking "Unleash the furry"!!!

Seeing the game live has a ton of benefits along with downfalls. I will be the first to admit parking can be a downfall even though i found a 5 dollar lot that is very close to the dome that I go to every Sunday we play. Plus traffic after the game especially when your trying to get home to watch the 3 o'clock games.

But its all worth it when they win.

Now during away games i love watching the Rams with friends at my house on my 60' inch Panasonic HD tv or going over my dads house and watching it with him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If money was no object, I'd go see the game every time instead of watching on TV. But. Not if my seats were in the nosebleeds or in the first row on the 50. I just recently learned that you can't see shit from that close up either. As I was leaving to get drinks and stuff, I went up about 15 rows, and that was an awesome view. But it was cool being so close to the sideline and seeing what goes on there. All the joking around, who hangs out with who, how they put the post-play snapshots together in the binders, watching Fisher, Schotty and Williams get with certain players, etc. Plus you get the tailgating experience (@Selassie I makes some killer food, btw), the sound systems, giant displays, camaraderie, and stuff.

But again, money has to be no object. That stuff gets expensive really quick.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love going to The Ed. GSOT is a beautiful memory and nobody cared back then. I still don't care. I love the crowd and I love seeing it happen while my screams are not in vain...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Baseball is a game better viewed with a group of people at the game, enjoying the sights and sounds and smells. You cannot find a better hotdog than the one you have at a baseball game.

Hockey is the best live sport on the planet. TV doesn't nearly do it any justice.

Basketball cannot be appreciated until you sit in the lower section of a college basketball game and are a part of a student section, seated right next to the pep band.

The only way to watch football is on your couch, with some buddies, tracking your fantasy games on redzone at the same time. The television product, televisions themselves, and fantasy football have almost singlehandedly ruined the game for live audiences.

if you've ever watched two NBA teams play........ especially if they are more uptempo versus half court play........ that is some of the most entertaining sports you can see anywhere

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
When I had season tickets, we kind of had a community going in our section. Lot of folks from different parts of town, different jobs and outlooks on things, but all Rams fans who showed up on Sundays.

They weren't the best seats in the house, and those years from '96-'98 were pretty lean. But I wouldn't trade those games with those guys in '99-'01 for anything. We didn't know each other before, but we had a bond over that group doing something really special.

I guess it's like anything else. Do you need to see your favorite band live in order to appreciate their music? Of course not. Some may argue that the sound quality is better on their home system, it's cheaper, don't have to deal with traffic and expensive incidentals.

But when your seeing that band live, with a bunch of people who also dig that music - man that's priceless. To me at least.

I cannot think of another analogy that would be better than your analogy to seeing a band live...... you captured it perfectly

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not a huge fan of crowds...but honestly, the reason I love going to games is because of the ambience and atmosphere of it all and basically how different it is.

In hockey, there is no comparison between seeing it live and watching it from a TV screen. Live events are beautiful, and you can basically feel yourself becoming one with the home crowd. Every shot, every save, every breakaway, every hit, every goal, every play. And it's all constant action.

Baseball - at least with the Cardinals - you have fans who appreciate quality play from both sides. I've seen players on the Cardinals and other teams make fantastic defensive plays, and we'll cheer and clap for the effort that they made. That's the epitome of the core of St. Louis: we appreciate the hard work, the blood, the sweat, the tears, the effort. Everything that goes into baseball.

But football...oh my fate, football. Football is pretty much an adrenaline boost for a crowd who wants to see it. On offense, you feel like you're ready to explode after a long run or a circus catch. And when you punch it into the endzone, you feel the energy in the air at its peak. On defense, it's a gorgeous symbiosis between crowd and defense, a fire-forged link that binds the two together. The defense feeds off of the momentum in the crowd, and the crowd feeds off of every play the defense makes. And the roar when your defense makes a game-changing play...I can name an example in Matt Giordano's pick-six in the game against the Jaguars. You feel like you could do anything and everything in that moment.

I just wish that I had the opportunity to go more. To all of the games.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Pff, Why you may as well ask...

Why is a tree good?
Why is the sunset good?
Why are boobs good?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
if you've ever watched two NBA teams play........ especially if they are more uptempo versus half court play........ that is some of the most entertaining sports you can see anywhere
It took me a little getting used to at first. My first Basketball game was a Laker game at the old Great Western Forum. I couldn't get over the fact that it looked much like going to a gym and watching a game - the squeaking of the sneakers is one of those things you just don't hear on TV and the look is SO different than it is on TV. Granted it is mostly during the slower times of the game that you hear the sneakers but the Showtime Lakers didn't have a lot of slow times. I've watched several more games since then and found that it really depends on the venue. The Staples center is night and day different than the Forum and the Portland Coliseum brought back that old feeling of the gym compared to the feel of the Rose Garden.

Hockey live IMO is the only way to watch a game. I have gone to a few Kings games and even when they weren't in the hunt, the crowd, the crashing of the boards, the sticks slapping the puck - what a great sport to watch in person - even minor league hockey will make you a fan if you get to see them in person.

Baseball - there is no comparison in my mind. Watching a game - especially a series game - in a baseball stadium is phenomenal. But even the new Mariners stadium is very much like the old feel of baseball in a park.

It's weird because I felt the exact opposite way about old stadiums when it came to football. The LA Coliseum was a great place to watch a game and the game itself felt bigger than life. Same with Candlestick - that God forsaken wind bowl. I watched a Rams/Seachicken game in Husky Stadium before Qworst field was built and it was great. Qworst is a fantastic venue but there is just an odd "too modern" feel to it IMO. Big A doesn't count in my opinion. That place simply sucked out loud as a football venue but was fun watching the Angels play.

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
Going to a game also helps to show support for the team. I have no problem dealing with the traffic,crowd,food lines or what ever else some folks do not like about going to a game. I only wish the flights and hotel costs were a bit cheaper cause I would be there more often.