Why the Rams should sign RGIII and why they definitely should not

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At the Right Price, Would You Want the Rams to Sign RG3?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 46 63.9%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/9...hould-sign-rg3-and-why-they-definitely-should

Why The St. Louis Rams Should Sign RG3. And Why They Definitely Should Not.
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_

usa-today-8257288.0.jpg

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

The Washington Redskins officially named Kirk Cousins as their starting quarterback on Monday afternoon. For Robert Griffin III - who was claiming he was the best QB in the NFL last week - that’s bad news. And there’s a chance he’ll be receiving more disappointing news in the very near future. The news caught wildfire on social media, as speculation that the former No. 2 overall pick could be released or traded.

This news is pertinent to the Rams in some ways; some of which make sense. Griffin has afforded St. Louis more than it’s fair share of players. In case you needed a refresher, the 2012 trade - where the Redskins moved up to the 2nd spot to draft Griffin - has worked out quite well, at least in terms of personnel, for the Rams.

Matt Miller
✔@nfldraftscout

RGIII trade in retrospect: WSH: RGIII
STL: Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Pead, R. Watkins, Ogletree, Stedman Bailey, Zac Stacy, Greg Robinson

What the trade hasn’t done is taken the Rams to any Super Bowls. It hasn’t taken them to a single playoff game. It hasn’t even lead them to any .500 seasons.

Meanwhile, Robert Griffin III took the Redskins to the playoffs in his first year in the league. He threw for 3,200 yards and 20 touchdowns, finishing the 2012 season with a 102.4 QB rating. He rushed for an additional 815 yards and seven scores. It was truly an impressive rookie campaign.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSO-P4WwWQE

But that was before the wheels came off in Washington. If we’re being honest with ourselves, they weren’t on very tight to begin with.

But the "Team X should trade for [or sign] RG3" thing is very alive, and it will become infinitely more prevalent if the Skins make a decision to move on from their now-backup QB prior to onset of the season.

Most fan bases are making their case for RG3. So why - or why not - the Rams?

Why They Should

1. Behind a sound offensive line, Griffin proved [2012] that he can be one of the more electric QB’s in the league. He proved he could be a winner. He lead a team that had won 15 games in the three seasons prior to a playoff berth. If he wasn’t winning games tossing bombs, he was flexing his world-class hurdling skills to beat defenses with his legs.

2. Potential. As aforementioned, RG3 has proven that he can put up big numbers; both in the passing and rushing games...but only if he can stay healthy. Potential isn’t the best of reasons to acquire a player, but let’s face it...that’s what the Rams are banking on with Nick Foles. The 2013 version of Foles - where he threw 27 TD’s with only two picks - is the QB fans want. Not the 2014 version where he had ten interceptions through eight games.

3. To prove that they won the RG3/Rams trade, duh! For some reason, folks want to know who won that trade, and it doesn’t appear it’s going to be settled until Griffin is wearing a Rams’ uniform. The Rams got a slew of players out of the deal, but RG3 lead his team to the playoffs. Which is more important? Good question. The Rams need to sign RG3 so that it can be settled once and for all.

3. Just because
Derrick Docket @ddocket
If RG3 is cut or released, the Rams should pick him up just because.

Why They Shouldn’t

1. Because the Rams aren’t, in any way, displaying that they’ve got anything close to sound offensive line play. We have no clue what the starting offensive line will look like in two weeks. I’m not certain Jeff Fisher does. And behind poor offensive line play, we’ve seen the 2012 RG3 deteriorate almost completely.

2. He’s not starting because he’s not a starting caliber QB. He’s not yet been released, but he has been benched. And it’s because the very slim Jay Gruden thinks Kirk Cousins gives the Redskins the best shot at winning. Something to ponder...

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL
Said it a hundred times: If a QB isn't good enough to win the starting job for his own team, why do you want your team to trade for him?

3. 16.1 million reasons more. That’s Griffin’s salary for the 2016 season: $16.1 million. If he sticks around Washington for any part of the 2015 season and sustains an injury that carries into next year, that’s guaranteed money. That’s roughly twice what Foles is slated to make next year. A scary thought if you’re looking to trade for him. Restructure or reconsider [to put it mildly].

4. It sends the wrong message to the team and to the fans. Jeff Fisher makes it a point to stand behind his QB’s [until he doesn’t]. And he’s been very high on Foles since acquiring him earlier this year. Bringing in another QB, especially at this point of the season, would definitely leave folks scratching their heads. RG3 would only be brought in to challenge for the starting job. I can’t think of a better way to discourage Foles, nor rookie Sean Mannion. If Jeff Fisher says Nick Foles is their guy, then Griffin should only be on the same field as the Rams in Week 2 when they head to Washington.

5. Chemistry. It’s perfectly fine for an athlete to have that competitive fire...to want to be the best, and while it might be a bit absurd to think you’re the best when clearly you’re not, you can appreciate the sentiment. RG3 is a competitor. He’s head-strong, and you want that in a leader. But bringing him into the Rams’ locker room would certainly affect the chemistry.

RG3 has certainly caused - minimally been heavily involved in - his fair share of drama in Washington. Whether it was his relationship with owner Dan Snyder, the public deterioration of his relationship with Mike Shanahan, him thinking he’s the best QB in the NFL, or his taking to social media, he’s just proven that it’s all about RG3. Intern...really?

6. Just because. I can’t find a tweet to support this, but it worked well for reasons why they should sign him, so I’ll just leave it here.

I could probably go on with reasons the Rams shouldn’t trade/sign him [if released], but I won’t. Instead, I’ll open it up to you. Thoughts?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Are we ever going to escape this guy? He's a major locker room cancer who isn't all that good and incredibly slowed by injury. Yet every five seconds the Rams need to go get him for the stellar reason of they chose NOT to the first time around.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Can we add a "FUCK NO" option? Because I would've picked that instead of "Hell No" if there was one.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They should trade a 2017 7th round conditional pick for him for the LOLZ.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If we signed RGIII i'd convert him to fullback, fresh off the NFL's concussion protocol.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Why do I get the feeling that he'll end up in Seadderall if the skins cut him ?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
RGIII should only play for a team that wants to run a read option. I don't think Fisher and Cignetti have any designs on that.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
"At the Right Price, Would You Want the Rams to Sign RG3?"

I voted yes, but the right price for me is they give us 2 first and a second and we take RGIII off their hands.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do I get the feeling that he'll end up in Seadderall if the skins cut him ?

http://www.hngn.com/articles/125042...ii-a-possibility-to-backup-russell-wilson.htm

Seattle Seahawks RUMORS: RGIII a Possibility to Backup Russell Wilson?
Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III may soon find himself on a new team. Are the Seattle Seahawks interested?
By Brandon Katz

As every NFL fan is aware by now, the Washington Redskins and quarterback Robert Griffin III are headed for a split. Sure, Washington is saying all the right things by telling the media that RGIII is still a member of the team and that he has a place in D.C. and blah blah blah. But more likely than not, Griffin will not be with the team much longer.

A trade seems out of the question thanks to new Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan's decision to exercise the fifth-year, $16.1 million option on Griffin's contract earlier this offseason. With that kind of price tag, no team will be willing to take a risk on the oft-injured quarterback. Thus, an outright release is likely the inevitable conclusion to this disappointing era for the Redskins.

If the situation unfolds like that, Griffin will be a free agent and able to choose his next team from among his potential suitors. At the top of that list may sit the Seattle Seahawks.

"Seattle would be number one," Peter King of MMQB.com wrote. "GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll are always looking for an edge, and they won't care about ruffling feathers with backup Tavaris Jackson. Griffin could learn a new offense with little pressure, seeing that Russell Wilson has never missed a start in 54 games since being drafted 73 spots after Griffin in 2012."

While Jackson is a capable backup who is familiar with Seattle's offense, he has proven unable to carry the load in a lead position. He is just 17-18 as a starter for his career (though Griffin is just 14-21).

RGIII has not developed as hoped in D.C., but he is still just 25-years-old and only three years removed from a sensational Offensive Rookie of the Year season. It's possible that under the right circumstances he could once again be a productive player.

What better circumstances than a perennial Super Bowl contender that puts zero pressure on you to win games?
What Seahawks fans are saying about this possibility(a mixed bag of opinions).
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112686

PETER KING: SEAHAWKS #1 SPOT FOR RG3 IF HE'S RELEASED

RG3's biggest weaknesses as a leader are Wilson's biggest strengths. If he is serious about getting his career on track, I don't think he could do better than learning from Russ. I doubt his ego lets him sign somewhere he won't have a shot at starting though.

As an NFL fan, I kind of hope he signs with the Rams. That'd be hysterical if he put it all together with them.
-------
If cut you think 30 other teams are going to pass on him before we get a chance to claim him? I don't think he gets past Cleveland, Houston, Rams, Cardinals and 49ers. That's just the short list. Throw in the jets with Fitz as their starter with Smith out as well.

Sounds like a crazy idea to me, but PK is pretty well connected with the Seahawks so who knows.
-------
My initial thought was no way it would be a terrible decision but on some levels it makes sense and it wouldn't shock me if he actually did well if ever called upon. He fits the offense that's for sure.
-------
I very much like the idea as a backup. RGIII, when healthy, has mobility which is a necessary facet of his game if he's stuck (read: escaping from) behind our O-line. He has a decent arm.

He'd just need to work on holding the ball longer, LOL. Seriously, though, improving his accuracy and limiting turnovers would help immensely. How would he do in a run-first offense? Not sure about that...
--------
This actually makes a ton of sense. RG3 is like a younger, better version of Jackson. He needs a ton of coaching and mental rehab work, but if someone like Pete can put the pieces back together he can still play in this league.

From Griffins perspective it makes a ton of sense. Fits the scheme, low pressure, good coaching.
-------
I admit, I wanted the Hawks to take RGIII and thought Wilson was a bit of a head scratcher. Go ahead and laugh, I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I like the idea, but hope he would be a QB3. I don't like the thought of turning the team over to RGIII against the Packers if Wilson gets hurt in week one.
-------
The reason why I don't see happening is money. RG3 has already earned $20 million so far and I'm skeptical that he would want to risk his health further in order to play on a minimal contract in a situation where he wouldn't be given a chance at the starting job. I suppose it depends on how much of that $20 million he has saved.

I'm guessing Kirwan is looking at the team's point of view only, and if RG3 wanted to be a backup here on a cheap contract then it makes plenty of sense for the Seahawks. The real cost would be having to carry a 3rd QB but that's not a huge deal when we're already considering a roster spot for Daniels based on his positional flexibility.
-------
absolutely no way this happens.....as in zero %......

RGIII is a me first selfish player and has a huge ego.....does anyone see him talking down to our teammates when they miss a block (which happens almost every other play)....??
-------
RG III would have to completely let go of his ego and be looking to do the best thing for his career instead of his wallet ... ain't happening IMO.
--------
If RG3 comes here, or probably anywhere for that matter, it's on a one year prove it deal to rehabilitate his career, not to compete immediately for a starting gig.
--------
giphy.gif

--------
Noooooooooooooo!!!

I vehemently oppose this thought.

RG3 is the most breakable human being in existence.
-------
This is a terrible idea and I think Peter is just trolling Seahawk land to get clicks.
-------
Our stripped down offensive system and team culture with Pete would be a good fit for RG3....................but that's where it ends.

Cap restraints, guaranteed money to T-Jack and the fact that RG3 thinks he's a starting QB wouldn't make for a happy situation me thinks. He needs to go to a team where he can start, or at least compete for a starting job...........and that ain't here.
-------
You guys just got done complaining about this offensive line's terribleness, and now you want RG3 behind it? At least Wilson knows how to handle prssure - i.e. run away without taking stupid chances - and how to slide instead of take needless tackles.

Peter King: "Hmm, where might RG3 land? Well, he does read-option a lot...OH HEY, THE SEAHAWKS!!"

...and then he built a BS story about it. That was probably the extent of Peter King's train of thought.
--------
It has a nice ring to it. Russ being backed up by a QB who was picked two rounds higher in the same draft would be quite ironic. Next to that little inside giggle we'd all share he actually has a lot of potential as shown by his rookie campaign and should fit our offense quite well. It might work out.

Realistically speaking it won't happen though. Money is the first thing that makes this impossible, he won't be cheap and we've already invested in Tarvaris as our back up anyway. With a 0% chance of starting behind a QB who will probably even outlast Griffin's carreer it doesn't seem to be much of a competitively interesting option for him either.
-------
I'm pretty sure a team like the Bills or Texans or Jets or Eagles (Chip can't help himself) would at least put a waiver claim in. No way that Seattle would.

If RG3 did hit UFA, and theoretically could be had cheap, my guess is that he'd end up in Philly. That's the place where disappointing 1st round pick QBs go to be rehabilitated.

If Seattle does sign him cheap, I don't see how that isn't an exciting move. Basically zero downside, with a chance to rehabilitate him and maybe get a draft pick out of him down the road.
-------
In his rookie year, he was better than Wilson. Even diehard Wilson fans acknowledged RGIII was the one fighting Wilson for ROY, not Luck. What we all saw as RGIII's drawback, his achilles heel if you will, was that he didn't know how to slide. He took crunching hits. He wasn't going to last playing like that.

The Pro for taking RGIII:
Carroll can coach him up. Return him to the level of excellence we saw his rookie year. We'd have the perfect backup QB.

The Con for taking RGIII:
His injuries may have already taken their toll. It might not be possible for him to ever have the physical skills even to be our backup QB.

Only a physical and the FO will be able to determine if he'd be a good move.
-------
Behind our oline he might not last 1 qtr.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
You know who should probably take a shot?

Denver.

Peyton's 39...you give Griffin a year or two to get right on the bench learning behind maybe football's best brain...Kubiak is from that Shanahan school that loves zone blocking and stretch plays, and Griffin did his best work for Kyle Shanahan...if he ever does regain form you could do worse throwing to DT...and I don't think much of the Oswiller succession plan myself.

JMO. That may be his best spot if he's gonna have a shot.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Madness. Absolute Madness.

You know who should probably take a shot?

Denver.

Peyton's 39...you give Griffin a year or two to get right on the bench learning behind maybe football's best brain...Kubiak is from that Shanahan school that loves zone blocking and stretch plays, and Griffin did his best work for Kyle Shanahan...if he ever does regain form you could do worse throwing to DT...and I don't think much of the Oswiller succession plan myself.

JMO. That may be his best spot if he's gonna have a shot.

Denver though - that's not a bad shout. To work behind Osweiller and Manning and maybe learn how to be a pro.

For me though his main problem has been that since day 1 he's been absolutely uncoachable. He seems to have just decided he knew it all already and he was either going to succeed his way - or not at all. There are serious flaws in his game that people were highlighting in the pre-draft period (and getting crucified for doing so because it was seen as implicit racism of a black QB to suggest running QBs don't succeed all that often in the NFL) such as his lack of pocket awareness. The fact that he still LOOKS like a rookie when he's in the pocket is not a good sign as to his ability to learn.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It wouldn't surprise me at all if RGme cleared waivers with all of the stories about his ego, injury history, and poor mechanics. At that point Pete gum chomping face would take a run at him I bet... not just because of the read/option (although that is a HUGE reason),,, but because their team appears to be able to handle some seriously strong personalities and wackos.

Seadderall it is.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Madness. Absolute Madness.

Denver though - that's not a bad shout. To work behind Osweiller and Manning and maybe learn how to be a pro.

For me though his main problem has been that since day 1 he's been absolutely uncoachable. He seems to have just decided he knew it all already and he was either going to succeed his way - or not at all. There are serious flaws in his game that people were highlighting in the pre-draft period (and getting crucified for doing so because it was seen as implicit racism of a black QB to suggest running QBs don't succeed all that often in the NFL) such as his lack of pocket awareness. The fact that he still LOOKS like a rookie when he's in the pocket is not a good sign as to his ability to learn.

Elway...may kinda dig that.

Remember Dan Reeves?

I don't know, just throwing it out there.