Why Nick Foles should start this Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
You forgot #7.....Where I bet some Iggles fan that Foles would throw for more yards than Bradford, dammit! :rant:
You still have time.
If Foles can put a solid game together tomorrow he will probably stay in and Bradford being on the field is a week to week prop.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then they better get him some reps in a hurry. Throwing him in there when he has had very little time with the starters is not a recipe for success. I personally think it is too late in the season to put him in as the starter. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some snaps here and there. I just don't think you can throw him in there at this point of the season unless you have no real choice or you think he is far and away better than your other options you've been giving reps to all year.

Why? Give him starter reps in practice and toss him in. He's been here all year. He can handle it. We're not going to cut him if he struggles. There's only upside in playing him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why? Give him starter reps in practice and toss him in. He's been here all year. He can handle it. We're not going to cut him if he struggles. There's only upside in playing him.
I'd rather see him at least get 2nd team reps for a few weeks. I just don't see giving what you practice as your 3rd team the starting role unless you absolutely have to. If that is your thought - give him reps like that is your intent. Otherwise, you are doing a disservice to him and your team by putting him in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather see him at least get 2nd team reps for a few weeks. I just don't see giving what you practice as your 3rd team the starting role unless you absolutely have to. If that is your thought - give him reps like that is your intent. Otherwise, you are doing a disservice to him and your team by putting him in.

This isn't a pool. You don't need to dip your toe in. ;)

Toss him in with the 1s and let's go. :)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
With Keenum out we are only one hit away from Mannion or Hekker being the QB, so they better be ready to play anyway!

RamsFan14

Starter

Sometimes its the best decision not to throw someone into the fire, and that could be the case with Mannion. Maybe he has some bad habits and/or mechanical issues he needs to break out of; putting him into a game speed action might revert him back into those bad habits. Sitting on the bench allows time for him to get fully accustomed to whatever he's learned in the NFL. I'm only throwing out w/e could be the reason(s) as to why he's not starting. Now I'm not saying Mannion is Rodgers, but that's something Rodgers did work when he was on the bench, working on his mechanics. Maybe its that sort of issue with Mannion, idk. I personally agree that he should stay on the bench and keep learning, although one could argue that game action can be the best way to learn and improve. I don't disagree with that notion either, just perception at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes its the best decision not to throw someone into the fire, and that could be the case with Mannion. Maybe he has some bad habits and/or mechanical issues he needs to break out of; putting him into a game speed action might revert him back into those bad habits. Sitting on the bench allows time for him to get fully accustomed to whatever he's learned in the NFL. I'm only throwing out w/e could be the reason(s) as to why he's not starting. Now I'm not saying Mannion is Rodgers, but that's something Rodgers did work when he was on the bench, working on his mechanics. Maybe its that sort of issue with Mannion, idk. I personally agree that he should stay on the bench and keep learning, although one could argue that game action can be the best way to learn and improve. I don't disagree with that notion either, just perception at this point.

That's the only reason why you'd keep him from playing. But I don't recall anything on his college tape that especially stood out to me.

nighttrain

Legend
jrry 32 said[/QUOTE]So I'm a bit confused here...he played under a former NFL Head Coach in a pro style system as the starter for 4 years. He played behind some bad OLs in college. As a senior, he lacked talented WRs. He's 6'6" 230+. What about Sean Mannion indicates that he's incapable of handling this?

Why were those other guys capable of stepping onto a NFL field as a rookie and Mannion can't? Is he too fragile mentally? Is he too fragile physically? It can't be that he's less prepared than those guys.

I'm sorry but these claims that we'll ruin Mannion's career by playing him make no sense to me. The guy isn't an inexperienced project. He was drafted as an experienced passer that ran a pro style system in college. He's not a small guy. He can handle starting 6 games. Didn't the Rams draft him partially because of how intelligent the guy is? If he's that intelligent, he should have the system down by now. It's time he steps in and plays.
[/QUOTE]

totally on board with starting Mannion, 7 of 9 for 79 yards in Senior Bowl, so it appears he has short pass down
train

nighttrain

Legend
Probably not. But I am not seeing as much upside in potentially shaking his confidence either. If they play him - fine. If not - fine. I'm actually warming to the idea of at least getting him out there to get some real snaps. I'd also be fine if they waited until next year too.

I suppose it would depend to me as to how they view him. If they consider him a very likely candidate for the starting role, I would wait until next season. I don't see him being a huge upgrade this season so I would like to see him have a fresh start.

But like I said, I'd be fine either way and I would be excited to see him play if they went that route.
All good except I'M all for using our first for a QB in this years draft; so start Mannion and see what he has
trrain

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
All good except I'M all for using our first for a QB in this years draft; so start Mannion and see what he has
trrain

You've been around awhile, you generally have good takes, so I would ask you, if you had the pick of the litter, just whom (QB) would you spend it on with our early mid round 1st pick?

I'm a Pac12 guy so I'm a little limited... I just don't see one out there (in the upcoming Draft) head and shoulders better than Mannion (in a ProStyle Offense) but what the heck?

Myself, I would be leaning toward finally drafting the best WR available.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Can we lock this thread and call the issue settled? Nick Foles should never start again for this team. Ever.

WvuIN02

Starter
Watched interview with both Eli and Peyton a few years at the Manning QB camp.

Both said you dont learn holding a clipboard. They both took their lumps early but you dont learn 1/10 watching it happen on the sidelines compared to coming at you under fire. Put in Mannion, this season is lost. While he learns, Rams ensure a better draft pick as well because hes going to take some lumps. But it might be enough to have him ready for next year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Watched interview with both Eli and Peyton a few years at the Manning QB camp.

Both said you dont learn holding a clipboard. They both took their lumps early but you dont learn 1/10 watching it happen on the sidelines compared to coming at you under fire. Put in Mannion, this season is lost. While he learns, Rams ensure a better draft pick as well because hes going to take some lumps. But it might be enough to have him ready for next year.
Might as well. Pretty hard to see the downside at this point really. If he starts getting whacked, put in one of our other victims.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree with playing Mannion at this point forward. I never got to see him play in college, Can he run the ball? If so he could be the best option for the rest of the year for more than one reason..

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure today cemented that Foles just is NOT the answer.

I dunno if Keenum gets cleared, but we have a QB who actually completed passes in Mannion. Do we trust him? If not, why pay him?

We hold the D players accountable... why not the O players???

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with playing Mannion at this point forward. I never got to see him play in college, Can he run the ball? If so he could be the best option for the rest of the year for more than one reason..

You'd never mistake Mannion for a mobile QB. He is not a slug but he's not going to beat defenses with his legs. He has a pretty good arm and throws from a high point so his 6'5" height is optimized by his throwing motion. I don't think you'll see much batted down at the line. He is smart and also knows how to read defenses pretty well. He played 4 years in a Pro-set under Mike Riley.

Bottom line is that he very well could be a franchise QB or he could be a career back-up. I watched his entire career being that my oldest son went to OSU and the school being less than an hour away is pretty much considered the home team. I have always considered him to be better than either Foles or Keenum but wanted to see him get a year of understudy time. But you can pitch that line of thinking right out the window as we really need to see which one we have - future starter or future back-up.

nighttrain

Legend
You've been around awhile, you generally have good takes, so I would ask you, if you had the pick of the litter, just whom (QB) would you spend it on with our early mid round 1st pick?

I'm a Pac12 guy so I'm a little limited... I just don't see one out there (in the upcoming Draft) head and shoulders better than Mannion (in a ProStyle Offense) but what the heck?

Myself, I would be leaning toward finally drafting the best WR available.
Let Mannion play out the season, sure there are a few tough games, but facing them is how champions are born + we may not need to draft a QB in draft
train

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles should start....packing his bags. Maybe he can share a cab with Fisher and save a couple of bucks.