Why Nick Foles should start this Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

maximus

Rookie
Brilliant.

Not only do you call a popular scheme to account for struggling offenses a gimmick, but you suggest we go out and get a stud TE and stud WR halfway through the season as a means to boost the offensive production. I think that falls under the category of fantasy. And no, it doesn't mean the D will have to cover half the field. It only means that the QB doesn't have to read the entire field. There will still be offensive players on the other half of the field that defenses will have to cover. For you see, the secret is not telling the defense which side of the field you'll be rolling out ... to.

Well, I call it a gimmick because that is what it is. Reading comprehension? I did not say got out in the middle of the season
to get the #1 WR and #1 TE. DRAFT them. The secret is the defenses won't take long to figure out the gimmick, that is
why top offenses do not go with it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I call it a gimmick because that is what it is. Reading comprehension? I did not say got out in the middle of the season
to get the #1 WR and #1 TE. DRAFT them. The secret is the defenses won't take long to figure out the gimmick, that is
why top offenses do not go with it.
Reading comprehension?

That's what you're gonna say to me?

lol.

You still haven't given a viable solution to the offensive struggles THIS season. I gave one, and you felt compelled to shoot it down as a gimmick. Then went on to give a solution for the following season. How about you offer a solution that you feel is foolproof to combat the offensive struggles as they're happening. Anyone with half a wit can suggest we get better players when all is said and done. And the reason "top offenses" don't do it is because they're top offenses. Derp. Struggling offenses need to find ways to lessen the pressure on the QB and get him into a rhythm. You hear it all the time. "Shorten the field", "Cut the field in half", "move his launch point", etc.

Last edited:

maximus

Rookie
Reading comprehension?

That's what you're gonna say to me?

lol.

You still haven't given a viable solution to the offensive struggles THIS season. I gave one, and you felt compelled to shoot it down as a gimmick. Then went on to give a solution for the following season. How about you offer a solution that you feel is foolproof to combat the offensive struggles as they're happening. Anyone with half a wit can suggest we get better players when all is said and done. And the reason "top offenses" don't do it is because they're top offenses. Derp. Struggling offenses need to find ways to lessen the pressure on the QB and get him into a rhythm. You hear it all the time. "Shorten the field", "Cut the field in half", "move his launch point", etc.

LOL

That is not a viable solution. Struggling offenses continue to struggle after going with that "solution". Simplifying the offense does not work. It will just make the defenses job easier.

If you don't believe me maybe you will believe a talented DB who is in the same division
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-49ers---simplified--pass-game-010253708.html
That is what happens when you simplify the offense. Defenses will have an easier job.
The Patriots have outright refused to simplify their offense, when many were calling for that because so many WRs were struggling to pick it up. That is one of the main reasons why they have such a good offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOL

That is not a viable solution. Struggling offenses continue to struggle after going with that "solution". Simplifying the offense does not work. It will just make the defenses job easier.

If you don't believe me maybe you will believe a talented DB who is in the same division
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-49ers---simplified--pass-game-010253708.html
That is what happens when you simplify the offense. Defenses will have an easier job.
The Patriots have outright refused to simplify their offense, when many were calling for that because so many WRs were struggling to pick it up. That is one of the main reasons why they have such a good offense.
So you don't have a solution.

Got it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You forgot #7.....Where I bet some Iggles fan that Foles would throw for more yards than Bradford, dammit! :rant:

maximus

Rookie
So you don't have a solution.

Got it.

Give me a break. If your "viable solution" would work so well. there would be no struggling offenses in the league.
Whenever any offense would struggle, they would just go with this magical solution, and they would not struggle anymore. Right?

I do not pretend to have a solution to this mess, nor do I blame Foles for the problems of the offense. The Amazing Aaron Rodgers did not do better against the Bears than Foles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Give me a break. If your "viable solution" would work so well. there would be no struggling offenses in the league.
Whenever any offense would struggle, they would just go with this magical solution, and they would not struggle anymore. Right?

I do not pretend to have a solution to this mess, nor do I blame Foles for the problems of the offense. The Amazing Aaron Rodgers did not do better against the Bears than Foles.
Nobody said it was magical. Particularly not me. I only said it's a way for the QB to establish a rhythm and/or get a QB into a rhythm. Did you see me suggest that we change our entire philosophy into half-field reads for the rest of the year? No, you didn't. Why? Because it's a temporary solution to a temporary problem. If it wasn't a viable solution, nobody would do it. As it stands, many teams DO do that to get the QB's confidence back.

No idea why you're bringing Aaron Rodgers into this discussion, but I'm sure you'll tie it all together soon enough.

So in your haste to be argumentative, all you've done is turn a rather innocuous point by @dieterbrock (one of which I expanded on a little) into something stupid. And further, didn't add anything positive to the discussion in terms of what the Rams can do to get the offense back on track. Well, besides drafting a better WR and TE next year. None of which solves anything in November of this year.

Last edited:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I suppose this is another reason Foles is now starting. :whistle:

Coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that the Rams are planning to start Nick Foles in Week 12 against the Bengals.

Case Keenum has yet to clear concussion protocol. Fisher said Keenum would remain the Rams' starter if healthy, but he's not there yet. Foles was benched before Week 11 for failing to pull the trigger when receivers were open, and missing them when he did. The Bengals' D/ST is a recommended streamer.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter
Nov 27 - 2:58 PM

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Looks like he is starting anyways. So instead of our QB throwing like our receivers have a wingspan of 50 feet, we've got a QB who throws like our receivers are 50 feet tall.

Yippee?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/27/rams-plan-to-start-nick-foles/

Rams plan to start Nick Foles
Posted by Josh Alper on November 27, 2015

498313584-e1448655499303.jpg
Getty Images

It looks like Nick Foles will be back in the starting lineup against the Bengals on Sunday.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com, that Case Keenum still has not cleared the concussion protocol after being injured in last Sunday’s loss to the Ravens. As a result, the team is planning to start Foles in Week 12 although Fisher said that they’ll see how Keenum feels on Saturday before making a final decision.

Foles started the first nine games of the season for the Rams, but was put on the bench for last week’s game in a decision that Fisher couched as “what I think is best for this team offensively.” Fisher also said that Foles would eventually return to the starting lineup, although the fact that he’s leaving the door open for Keenum suggests this week wasn’t what Fisher had in mind.

Keenum was injured late in last week’s game, but continued to play as the concussion was missed by the Rams medical staff and the ATC spotter assigned to stop the game if they believe that a brain injury has been missed on the field. That led to an investigation into what broke down in the procedure put in place by the league to ensure a player with a concussion is removed from play.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Nope, don't know anything about him except what I saw in the game on Sunday and that wasn't good. He was better than Foles though!
So your saying you're basing your entire evaluation on him not being able to throw the ball accurately in a swirling wind. The same wind that made Flacco look pedestrian? (on his home field)

Keenum does not suffer from a lack of arm strength. IMO his biggest issue last week was not being in sync with the receivers on many of the throws.

What he did show me was decisiveness and the ability to get the ball out on time more often than not.

And the ability to escape when he needed to (the last sack notwithstanding).

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
@CoachO - Are you saying: (1) you would start Case this week (as long as he is healthy); (2) that last week was not a large enough sample size to make a decision to not-start him this week; (3) something else?

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yep. Agreed. Foles is worse than Keenum. There is no way last week's sample size is enough to make a decision about Keenum. I wish Foles wasn't starting this week. Gonna be bad news.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kinda agree Foles is worse, but you never know. He might have got his mind right after realizing he's expendable. I just don't know if he's going to get enough reps. Last I read, they're spitting reps until Keenum passes the concussion protocol. And in case anyone is wondering, the following is the NFL's diagnosis and management of concussions.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/lyris/pdfs/NFL_Diagnosis_Mgmt_Concussion.pdf

RamBill

Legend
Looks like it's Foles at QB vs. Bengals
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_72fc15d3-a5d9-57ee-85ba-fe975298c993.html

It looks like the benching of Rams quarterback Nick Foles will be short-lived.

That’s because Friday came and went at Rams Park with Case Keenum yet to clear the NFL’s concussion protocol.

“Unless we get good news (Saturday), then Nick will be our starter,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Friday’s practice. “If Case is completely cleared and he feels good, then he’ll start. But as it is right now, it’s looking like we’re going to potentially have to go with Nick.”

Usually, if players don’t clear the concussion protocol by Friday, they don’t play Sunday. Given the national attention over Keenum’s concussion, and the fact he wasn’t removed from the Baltimore game, why risk playing him Sunday against Cincinnati? Especially if he’s come so close to game day without passing the series of tests and examinations that comprise the concussion protocol.

“There will be some more tests that are done (Saturday),” Fisher said. “We’re not going to subject him to any risk whatsoever.”

Keenum was officially listed as questionable on the team’s injury report Friday, with limited participation. Keenum did take repetitions with the starting offense in 11-on-11, or “team” situations, but Foles got most of the reps Friday.

“They were a little bit uneven today, but they split them equally Wednesday,” Fisher said. “So, we just have to wait to see how the protocol sorts itself out and how he feels (Saturday).”

Keenum wasn’t sharp before the injury in Sunday’s 16-13 loss at Baltimore, with several underthrown or otherwise off-target passes against the Ravens. With just over a minute to play and the score tied 13-13, Keenum bumped his head on the M&T Bank Stadium Turf on a sack by Ravens defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan.

Keenum held his hands behind his helmet for several seconds while still on the ground, and then didn’t get up right away when teammate Garrett Reynolds offered a hand to help him up.

Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott briefly checked on Keenum while officials sorted out and then marked off a penalty on the play, but Keenum stayed in the contest for the Rams’ final two offensive plays.

The incident set of a firestorm of criticism as to why Keenum stayed in the game, and why the NFL’s injury spotter didn’t signal for a medical timeout to have physicians check out Keenum on the sideline. Fisher subsequently said he was not aware that Keenum had suffered a concussion until after the game.

While Keenum was working his way through the protocol, Fisher said Foles had “a great week” of practice.

“He seized the opportunity. ...” Fisher said. “He loves the game plan and he’s ready to play. I think our offense understands where the challenges are, and we need to score points. Nick’s excited about the opportunity if he plays.”

Foles was benched after another subpar outing two weeks ago in a blowout loss to Chicago. At the time Fisher said Foles just needed to step back from the game for a while and regroup. While saying that Keenum would not have a short leash, Fisher told Foles that he would play again at some point.

No one could’ve known at the time that Foles would end up having less than two weeks to step back and regroup.

“Watching Case and looking through a different lens, you learn a lot through the experience,” Foles said Friday. “I’ve been preparing the same as I’ve always been. If you’re going to play quarterback, you always have to prepare like you’re starting. You’re always ready to go if your number is called.”

No stranger to the concussion protocol, Foles said he went through it a couple of years ago in Philadelphia and wasn’t able to play the following week.

“Case seems great,” Foles said. “He’s continuing to go through the protocol and that’s part of it. He’s just got to go through the protocol.”

Keenum was not made available to the media this week. If Keenum isn’t cleared to play, rookie Sean Mannion of Oregon State will dress as the backup quarterback against the Bengals. Mannion has been on the Rams’ pregame inactive list the previous 10 games of 2015.

“I’m always ready,” Foles said. “Since I’ve been here, I’ve been ready to play and that hasn’t changed. Throughout what’s happened I’ve always remained (ready). I’ve been enjoying watching Case. I think the world of Case and how he prepares and how he is as a player.”

Prior to his benching, Foles’ completion percentage dropped in each of his past three games. He has thrown only one touchdown pass over his past four starts.

Whether just one game on the bench is enough to restore his battered psyche and bruised body remains to be seen.

“It’s not like I turn it on or turn it off,” Foles said. “I just stay ready.”

If he indeed gets the start at Paul Brown Stadium, Foles said, “I’m going to be the same Nick, and hopefully just play better. You want to go in there and play better, get a win, play efficient on offense, and get drives going. That’s the goal.”

With Tuesday’s shooting of wide receiver Stedman Bailey in the Miami area, and the jolt that sent through the team, Foles hasn’t had the time or inclination to engage in self-pity.

“We’ve had a lot of emotions here with Stedman,” Foles said. “I think that’s the big thing. Our prayers are with Sted. When one of your brothers goes through something like that, you’re just thankful for what you have and just saying our prayers for him.

“Going out and playing for him is important. When you step on the field and I step in that huddle, I’m so used to seeing him there.”

But an 8-2 Cincinnati team, smarting from back-to-back losses, and fighting for playoff position, isn’t about to feel sorry for Foles and the Rams.

“They’re a great team,” Foles said. “Obviously, one of the best teams in the NFL right now. Defensively, their front is pretty impressive with what they’re able to do. Secondary is going to try and disguise different things. ... I think the key to us is — it’s always — staying inside the chains. If we do get to third down, make sure it’s third and manageable.”

==============

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Looks like it's Foles at QB vs. Bengals
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_72fc15d3-a5d9-57ee-85ba-fe975298c993.html

It looks like the benching of Rams quarterback Nick Foles will be short-lived.

That’s because Friday came and went at Rams Park with Case Keenum yet to clear the NFL’s concussion protocol.

“Unless we get good news (Saturday), then Nick will be our starter,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Friday’s practice. “If Case is completely cleared and he feels good, then he’ll start. But as it is right now, it’s looking like we’re going to potentially have to go with Nick.”

Usually, if players don’t clear the concussion protocol by Friday, they don’t play Sunday. Given the national attention over Keenum’s concussion, and the fact he wasn’t removed from the Baltimore game, why risk playing him Sunday against Cincinnati? Especially if he’s come so close to game day without passing the series of tests and examinations that comprise the concussion protocol.

“There will be some more tests that are done (Saturday),” Fisher said. “We’re not going to subject him to any risk whatsoever.”

Keenum was officially listed as questionable on the team’s injury report Friday, with limited participation. Keenum did take repetitions with the starting offense in 11-on-11, or “team” situations, but Foles got most of the reps Friday.

“They were a little bit uneven today, but they split them equally Wednesday,” Fisher said. “So, we just have to wait to see how the protocol sorts itself out and how he feels (Saturday).”

Keenum wasn’t sharp before the injury in Sunday’s 16-13 loss at Baltimore, with several underthrown or otherwise off-target passes against the Ravens. With just over a minute to play and the score tied 13-13, Keenum bumped his head on the M&T Bank Stadium Turf on a sack by Ravens defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan.

Keenum held his hands behind his helmet for several seconds while still on the ground, and then didn’t get up right away when teammate Garrett Reynolds offered a hand to help him up.

Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott briefly checked on Keenum while officials sorted out and then marked off a penalty on the play, but Keenum stayed in the contest for the Rams’ final two offensive plays.

The incident set of a firestorm of criticism as to why Keenum stayed in the game, and why the NFL’s injury spotter didn’t signal for a medical timeout to have physicians check out Keenum on the sideline. Fisher subsequently said he was not aware that Keenum had suffered a concussion until after the game.

While Keenum was working his way through the protocol, Fisher said Foles had “a great week” of practice.

“He seized the opportunity. ...” Fisher said. “He loves the game plan and he’s ready to play. I think our offense understands where the challenges are, and we need to score points. Nick’s excited about the opportunity if he plays.”

Foles was benched after another subpar outing two weeks ago in a blowout loss to Chicago. At the time Fisher said Foles just needed to step back from the game for a while and regroup. While saying that Keenum would not have a short leash, Fisher told Foles that he would play again at some point.

No one could’ve known at the time that Foles would end up having less than two weeks to step back and regroup.

“Watching Case and looking through a different lens, you learn a lot through the experience,” Foles said Friday. “I’ve been preparing the same as I’ve always been. If you’re going to play quarterback, you always have to prepare like you’re starting. You’re always ready to go if your number is called.”

No stranger to the concussion protocol, Foles said he went through it a couple of years ago in Philadelphia and wasn’t able to play the following week.

“Case seems great,” Foles said. “He’s continuing to go through the protocol and that’s part of it. He’s just got to go through the protocol.”

Keenum was not made available to the media this week. If Keenum isn’t cleared to play, rookie Sean Mannion of Oregon State will dress as the backup quarterback against the Bengals. Mannion has been on the Rams’ pregame inactive list the previous 10 games of 2015.

“I’m always ready,” Foles said. “Since I’ve been here, I’ve been ready to play and that hasn’t changed. Throughout what’s happened I’ve always remained (ready). I’ve been enjoying watching Case. I think the world of Case and how he prepares and how he is as a player.”

Prior to his benching, Foles’ completion percentage dropped in each of his past three games. He has thrown only one touchdown pass over his past four starts.

Whether just one game on the bench is enough to restore his battered psyche and bruised body remains to be seen.

“It’s not like I turn it on or turn it off,” Foles said. “I just stay ready.”

If he indeed gets the start at Paul Brown Stadium, Foles said, “I’m going to be the same Nick, and hopefully just play better. You want to go in there and play better, get a win, play efficient on offense, and get drives going. That’s the goal.”

With Tuesday’s shooting of wide receiver Stedman Bailey in the Miami area, and the jolt that sent through the team, Foles hasn’t had the time or inclination to engage in self-pity.

“We’ve had a lot of emotions here with Stedman,” Foles said. “I think that’s the big thing. Our prayers are with Sted. When one of your brothers goes through something like that, you’re just thankful for what you have and just saying our prayers for him.

“Going out and playing for him is important. When you step on the field and I step in that huddle, I’m so used to seeing him there.”

But an 8-2 Cincinnati team, smarting from back-to-back losses, and fighting for playoff position, isn’t about to feel sorry for Foles and the Rams.

“They’re a great team,” Foles said. “Obviously, one of the best teams in the NFL right now. Defensively, their front is pretty impressive with what they’re able to do. Secondary is going to try and disguise different things. ... I think the key to us is — it’s always — staying inside the chains. If we do get to third down, make sure it’s third and manageable.”

==============

Quick, somebody, anybody please tell me how many times Fisher has said so-and-so had a "great week of practice", was excited to play, had a real handle on what to do, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....Just slays me sometimes...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The quickest way to end Mannion's career before it gets started, would be to throw him into the fire right now...

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Zach Mettenberger
E.J. Manuel
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
Matt McGloin
Andrew Luck
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Robert Griffin III
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert

In the past 5 years (counting this year), 20 rookie QBs have managed to start 6+ games. Can anyone tell me why these guys could do it but Sean Mannion is incapable? What about Mannion makes him so easily breakable?

What system did Mannion run in college? A pro style system.
How many years did Mannion start in college? 4 years.
How many games did Mannion start in college? 43 games.
Did Mannion play under a former NFL Head Coach in college? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber tools? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber size? Absolutely.

So I'm a bit confused here...he played under a former NFL Head Coach in a pro style system as the starter for 4 years. He played behind some bad OLs in college. As a senior, he lacked talented WRs. He's 6'6" 230+. What about Sean Mannion indicates that he's incapable of handling this?

Why were those other guys capable of stepping onto a NFL field as a rookie and Mannion can't? Is he too fragile mentally? Is he too fragile physically? It can't be that he's less prepared than those guys.

I'm sorry but these claims that we'll ruin Mannion's career by playing him make no sense to me. The guy isn't an inexperienced project. He was drafted as an experienced passer that ran a pro style system in college. He's not a small guy. He can handle starting 6 games. Didn't the Rams draft him partially because of how intelligent the guy is? If he's that intelligent, he should have the system down by now. It's time he steps in and plays.