Why Has Saffold Not Been Cut?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He played in only 5 games last year and has proven he cannot stay healthy yet the Rams keep him. Now I considered him a must sign last year but obviously I was wrong.
His cap hit in 2016 is $5,656,250! Why has he not been cut? Am I missing something?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
someone said he has an injury clause that if he is released while injured he gets more money. not sure if thats why, but if they do want to release him that would be why he hasnt been released yet

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cuz he's the only guy on the team that can play RT, RG, LG, and LT. If he doesn't make it through the season, then bummer for us. If he does, then jackpot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the Rams don't need the cap space yet so why rush it?

Saffold gives them flexibility and depth for now. I can't imagine they'd want to get burned by him again but maybe it's just not time yet, idk.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd rather renegotiate/extend him than cut him. He's still young, he's the most versatile player we have on the OL and he's a quality player when healthy. Agree we can't keep paying for his lack of playing time, but if we could reduce his salary and make him our first swing reserve OT/OG off the bench, then I'd prefer to keep him. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the injury affected his production then the assumption could be that he can return to unhealthy production o n of a few years ago, which at guard was dominant. If he cannot reach that level and win a starting job by September, then he would be a great back-up.

Or, they could just cut him. However Demoff probably has an idea of how much money he will need to sign the Rams free agents. If they don't have t o cut Saffold then keep him for the reasons that I said.

The fact that the Rams are looking at relocating players now, and Roger hasn't been cut along with Long and the rest,makes it seem like they want him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think you've got it, flv.

But the Rams are in a Catch22.

They can't cut an injured player until he passes a physical. But he can't pass the physical until after the guaranteed contract date is past.

So they're stuck...

Heck, who knows? Maybe they want to keep him, anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cuz he's the only guy on the team that can play RT, RG, LG, and LT. If he doesn't make it through the season, then bummer for us. If he does, then jackpot.
And the report was that his other shoulder that was surgically repaired is stronger than it was naturally. Is this maybe the case now with this other surgically repaired shoulder?

Not sure but a versatile tackle/guard that has demonstrated the ability to actually play, is probably worth a decent check - especially while our young line is still learning. If not, we'll likely see him sent packing soon. Or possibly what @Picked4td said is true.
If he is not healthy enough, does it mean they have to pay him the full $4.5? And if he is healthy, what do you think he is worth?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played in only 5 games last year and has proven he cannot stay healthy yet the Rams keep him. Now I considered him a must sign last year but obviously I was wrong.
His cap hit in 2016 is $5,656,250! Why has he not been cut? Am I missing something?

What's your hurry?

Debacled

Starter
People are missing the big picture here.

5.5m is only 3.5% of next year's projected salary cap. If they cut him prior to June 1st, they incur a 3m dead money cap hit. Post June 1st cut would be 1m. Still to save only 2.5m or 4.5m towards the cap may not be worth it (especially considering the FA market will be pretty dry post june 1st).

Now for the small picture. Does anyone want any kind of experience on this line? The youth is a nice movement, but it definitely hurt the team last year. I understand the man is a walking mash unit all in himself, but he is still possibly the best lineman on the team when healthy.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just wanted to say thank you to all the guys on here who can explain the cap to dumb fucks like me. It's much appreciated.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm just guessing but unlike their solid plans on defense their moves to improve the offense are entirely up in the air - just speculating they might be waiting closer to free agency and the draft before making those moves

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now for the small picture. Does anyone want any kind of experience on this line? The youth is a nice movement, but it definitely hurt the team last year. I understand the man is a walking mash unit all in himself, but he is still possibly the best lineman on the team when healthy.

You know the more I think about it, the more it seems your point is not really the small picture. His experience and the fact he's the best lineman when healthy might punch his ticket this season.

I personally prefer they cut him, but when you look at this line overall it might end up being a wise decision to keep him around. If he does have a bounceback season and kills it without getting hurt it would be an enormous boost to this offense.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Post June 1st cut would be 1m.
I think you are getting your post-June 1 info from overthecap.com but I think it's wrong since it's not recognizing the guarantee.. I think @flv nailed it, even if all those numbers trying to figure out the cap rules gives me a headache, kudos to him for figuring it out! So I think the decision comes down to, do we swallow a dead money hit of $3m to save $3m?

To me it's like going into a restaurant and they say: If you pay us $50, you can leave with nothing. But if you pay us $100, you might get nothing, you might get an amazing gourmet meal, or the most likely thing you'll get is a meal that will be any where from bad to pretty good.

A lot of people would think it insane to pay $100 for something that will probably be mediocre, so will walk away paying the $50 for nothing. Then they can use $50 to buy a meal they know they'll like.

But others might think it insane to pay $50 for nothing at all, and might be lazy enough to think "well i'm already at this restaurant I might as well try to eat something", and at least by paying $100 they will probably something, even if it's not as good as it should be. And there's even a tiny chance it could be good.

But that's just me since everything always comes back to food...

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent

the cut savings vs dead money = still on roster

I'd expect his departure in 2017