Why Eagles Feel Great About Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...Bradford/f02d6f96-669d-4382-a921-c9dda0f9c95b

This was a move long in the works. The Eagles eyed Sam Bradford for weeks, and on Tuesday they made the move, acquiring Bradford in exchange for Nick Foles. Draft picks were involved. It was a huge move ...

615_FreeAgency_Bradford.jpg

This was a move long in the works. The Eagles eyed Rams quarterback Sam Bradford for weeks, and on Tuesday they made the move, acquiring Bradford in exchange for Nick Foles. Draft picks were involved. It was a huge move.

A former No. 1 overall draft pick (2010), Bradford's NFL career has been stunted by a lack of offensive talent around him early in his St. Louis tenure and by injuries late with the Rams. He played only seven games in 2013 after being pulled down on a run to the sidelines and tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and then missed all of 2014 when he was drilled in the pocket and tore the same ACL in the preseason opener.

An extremely talented quarterback who is 6-4 and 224 pounds, Bradford is able to make every throw from every position on the field. When the Eagles studied him -- and they did so very, very extensively before the trade -- they saw a quarterback with special accuracy, with touch, with a big arm. A quarterback who can get the ball out quickly, who can make fast, good decisions. Bradford is, the Eagles think, a classic pocket quarterback with just enough mobility to work the pocket well and keep plays alive.

And so a deal was done on Tuesday, one that brings to Philadelphia the quarterback that head coach Chip Kelly wants. He wanted Sam Bradford. He identified Sam Bradford as a special talent who can make this offense soar. It cost the Eagles Foles, and everyone wishes him the best of luck. It cost the Eagles a second-round draft pick in 2016 and a swap of picks in 2015 that is a difference of, roughly, 20 spots in the draft after compensatory picks are considered.

It is a gamble, no question about that. Kelly isn't afraid to make difficult, out-of-the-box decisions. But it is a gamble with a lot of upside because the Eagles think Bradford has the goods to be a franchise-type quarterback.

The misconception, perhaps, is that the offense the Eagles is one that we saw at Oregon, where the quarterback was mobile and a running threat. That's not what the Eagles are offensively. The Eagles can run the football effectively with their running backs -- and there is a need there that will be filled -- and their blocking scheme, and they need a quarterback who can be accurate, who can play tempo football and who can get the ball to the receivers -- a need position that the Eagles will address -- in a timely fashion down the field and in the short passing game.

tempbradford-03102015-AP-02--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Bradford, the Eagles feel, can do it all. He had his troubles in St. Louis throwing to the likes of Brandon Lloyd and Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola and Austin Pettis and Lance Kendricks and Laurent Robinson and Greg Salas and Jared Cook and Tavon Austin. The Rams didn't have much other than Steven Jackson running the football to exhaustion working with a pretty bad offensive line.

And they had Bradford. And they pinned all of their hopes on him and just didn't give him much help as he absorbed 105 sacks in his first three seasons (42 games) and another 15 in the seven games he played in 2013 when Bradford threw 14 touchdown passes and four interceptions. Oh, and consider this: Bradford has five games (of 49 played) in which he has thrown multiple interceptions. Foles and Mark Sanchez combined for seven multiple-interception games last season alone.

That's the player the Eagles think they have acquired, a special talent with far more upside than they saw with Foles -- and no lack of respect for him. He was very productive here and everyone wishes Foles the best of luck in St. Louis -- or any other quarterback they saw in the market -- free agency or the draft. The Eagles, despite the overwhelming rush by the media and fans to think otherwise, were not going to move up, up, up in the draft and take Oregon's Marcus Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner whom Kelly recruited. Nor did the Eagles feel their best option was to stay put and stick with Foles and extend his contract for the future.

Certainly, the deal hinges on Bradford remaining healthy and staying on the field for this offense. He had a concussion and some shoulder injuries at Oklahoma. He has the two ACL injuries and a shoulder injury in the NFL. Only twice in his five seasons has Bradford played a full 16 games.

The Eagles believe in their sports science program and their strength and conditioning program and they have the plan to put the right pieces around Bradford to help him stay healthy and make him more productive than he's been in his career.

That's why the Eagles did the deal, one on which they worked extremely hard and one that was, according to reports, off and on a couple of times -- at least -- in the last few weeks. They got the quarterback they wanted, one they think can be special in this offense. You may like the deal. You may not. You may have questions that just don't have answers right now, specifically how the Eagles will replace the production from departed running back LeSean McCoy and wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and the weapons Kelly and vice president of player personnel Ed Marynowitz will bring in between now and September. Fair enough.

Wins and losses will dictate the wisdom of this decision. It was gutsy, no doubt about it. But being gutsy and having conviction is why Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie hired Kelly after the 2012 4-12 season. Twenty regular-season victories and a playoff appearance was a nice way to start Kelly's NFL head coaching career, but it wasn't the goal. Winning the whole thing is the objective, and the Eagles wanted the best quarterback they could get and Kelly wanted Bradford and then went out and made the deal.

Sam Bradford is the quarterback Kelly thinks can operate this offense to maximum efficiency. That's why he is an Eagle today.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Sam will kickass in Philly. Shame we couldn't get him weapons and a scheme that he could excel in. As long as he stays healthy they'll love him.

I think Foles will do very well here as well though, he's probably better suited for the offense Fisher wants.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Don't blame them. That's a gamble we can't take anymore though. Not without at least 1 mediocre option behind him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't really disagree. Bradford is no longer a Ram but I won't be bad mouthing him. I don't doubt his ability to be a franchise QB if he stays on the field. If he stays healthy, nobody will be scoffing at the Eagles. But we got more than enough in this deal to make it a winner for us.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yeah I cant disagree. Kelly wants to take a risk on his health? Good for him. His franchise is in a position to do so. We're not so much. I don't think Snisher would have survived had he gone down injured again and as Jrry32 says above we got enough (or even more than enough) compensation for the trade to be a good deal.

One of those deals that is good for everyone involved? I hope so.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Really I think the deal is fair. Both players coming off injury, too.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Only thing is their trashing us not giving him any weapons. While it's true to a certain extent, wtf does Philly have to offer him now? That line better hope they can keep their shit together too. Man I wish Sam would've stayed healthy last year.

ram007

Starter
Only thing is their trashing us not giving him any weapons. While it's true to a certain extent, wtf does Philly have to offer him now? That line better hope they can keep their crap together too. Man I wish Sam would've stayed healthy last year.

So, did Nick Foles only succeed with all the offensive weapons surrounding him? If yes, boy we are in for a ride. Hang on tight.....

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
So, did Nick Foles only succeed with all the offensive weapons surrounding him? If yes, boy we are in for a ride. Hang on tight.....

Well McCoy, Maclin, and Jackson are all gone. Plus the line (while good in the past) was pretty shit last year so Idk. Then again Foles was pretty shit last year too.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, Chip Kelly's strength and conditioning program is the secret formula in the deal. I figured there was a catch. I had no idea that Chip Kelly had a better S&C program than other NFL teams. He must be smarter than the entire league put together if he figured out how to stop players from getting injured.

Good luck to Sam and the Eagles. Fair trade IMO. Both QBs could walk after this season, so there is an even risk, both have an injury, Sam is better when healthy, Rams get the draft picks. Even Steven.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
"Certainly, the deal hinges on Bradford remaining healthy and staying on the field for this offense. He had a concussion and some shoulder injuries at Oklahoma. He has the two ACL injuries and a shoulder injury in the NFL. Only twice in his five seasons has Bradford played a full 16 games."

upload_2015-3-10_22-1-2.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All offseason whenever the Rams were mentioned it always came with the comment that, 'if they only had a QB they could be good', I bet now the talk will be 'Chip Kelly, Sam Bradford, SuperBowl,'

WvuIN02

Starter
Bradford would have kicked ass in St Louis if he had stayed healthy, but he didnt.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I will give Philly 3 first rounders, Bradford, Foles, and some toasted ravioli if we can trade schedules and divisions the next 3 years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will give Philly 3 first rounders, Bradford, Foles, and some toasted ravioli if we can trade schedules and divisions the next 3 years.

Nah. Use those picks wisely. When we win the NFCW, we'll be ready for the dogfight that is the playoffs.

FRO

Legend
From Bradford's perspective this trade is the best thing that could happen to him. He excels in the hurry up and for the first time in his career he has an offensive minded coach. Matthews is better than any receiver we have on the roster. He has a guy like Sproles to dump the ball off too. I also see the eagles adding a few more pieces around him.

From the Rams perspective I see why they made the move. They got a solid QB. They save a ton of cap space and they don't make the Bradford gamble twice in a row. All we need Foles to do is to be a solid starting QB. Make smart decisions and hand the ball off a lot.