Who will be the St. Louis Rams breakout player in 2015?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://cover32.com/rams/2015/05/20/who-will-be-the-st-louis-rams-breakout-player-in-2015/

todd-gurley-750x256.jpg

That’s a tough question for two reasons: the guy I want to say is coming back from an ACL tear, and the other guy, my more hopeful candidate, a gruesome shoulder injury.

The second is wide receiver Brian Quick. I am a big Quick fan and believe he will come back hungry in 2015. His injury however, was extensive. He tore his rotator cuff and labrum as well as dislocated his shoulder. Head coach Jeff Fisher, a few weeks ago, said Quick was progressing well and could potentially participate in some OTA’s.

DVkL76z.jpg

Before his injury. Quick was in the middle of a “breakout” year with 60+ yards in each of the team’s first four games as well as three total touchdowns. With new quarterback Nick Foles throwing to him, Quick will have the chance to finally “break out” – as long as he doesn’t sustain another freak injury to his shoulder.

As for my other choice for breakout player, I think everyone might be hoping it’s first-round pick Todd Gurley. Granted, it wouldn’t really be a breakout year as it’s his rookie season, but because Rams’ rookie running backs the last two years, (Zac Stacy, Tre Mason) have set the bar so high, anything short of 1,000 yards for Gurley would almost be a disappointment.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You know who I think breaks out huge? Greg Robinson.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think Jamon Browns big ass comes in at Gaurd and dominates. Just a hopeful thought lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to count Quick, McDonald, and Ogletree as haven broken out since they showed themselves to be quality starters. I'm also not going to consider rookies or OLs(but I do agree with Memento that I expect big things out of Robinson in 2015...and I'm not just talking about his frame)

So my vote goes to Stedman Bailey. Some stats to backup why I think he's primed to break out:
So what did Bailey do with his targets over those final 7 weeks in 2014?
Catch Rate: 73.5% (9th in the NFL...one spot below Antonio Brown)
YPA on Targets: 11.0
Average Yards after Catch: 5.7 (tied for 14th with Julio Jones)
Broken Tackles: 7 (tied for 9th with Jordan Matthews, Keenan Allen, and Jarvis Landry)
QB Rating when targeted: 117.7 (8th...one spot above Brandon Marshall)
Catch Rate in the Slot: 85.7% (1st in the NFL)
Yards Per Route Run in the Slot: 2.28 (4th in the NFL...one spot below Jordy Nelson)

He was a highly efficient WR over those final 7 weeks, one of the NFL's best after the catch, and one of the NFL's most efficient WRs in the slot.

I think Bailey earns the starting job in the slot and has a very nice year.

You might ask...what about Tavon? I just don't know what to expect from him at this point. He hasn't shown enough and I'm not sure where he fits in the new offense. But I'm still hopeful with him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am gonna say Jared Cook. I feel like he could be a TD machine in this offense if Foles stays healthy. Yep.....I went to Jared.

Alan

Legend
My breakout player is Ogletree. I'm hoping with his change of position he'll finally show us the great play we've all been expecting from him.

His rookie year he flashed that potential. Last year, for reasons we've already talked about, he played to mixed reviews. Lots of good games and lots of bad games. I think he puts it all together this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/10/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-lbs/
Bottom 4-3 Outside Linebackers
#NameTeam

18 DeAndre Levy DET
19 Thomas Davis CAR
20 Lavonte David TB
21 Chad Greenway MIN
22 Sio Moore OAK
23 Ramon Humber NO
24 Alec Ogletree SL
25 Bruce Carter DAL
26 David Hawthorne NO
27 Parys Haralson NO
28 Anthony Barr MIN
Despite a strong debut for Vikings rookie LB Anthony Barr, he struggled in space at times in his new role as a traditional linebacker and missed one of every 4.5 tackle attempts including a league-high 16 in coverage. Second-year LB Alec Ogletree is another player that flashed his potential throughout the season but poor tackling held him to a -3.9 overall grade as he missed 10 tackles in the run game and 10 in the passing game.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The defense. No doubt about it. They are almost 100% the same, second season under Williams, gonna roll from game one. By the bye week they will be the scariest of all NFL groups.

Player? Gaines. He will be an anchor in the secondary.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cory Harkey. He's going to rumble and bumble his way to 6 TDs and pave the way for Mason, Benny, and Gurley out of the backfield.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Defense: The Rams Secondary gels under the leadership and play of Pro Bowler T.J. McDonald.
Offense:
The Line FINALLY comes together and Roger Saffold is recognized for his dominate play

images
images

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I agree with Faceplant about Cook. This is the year he becomes an upper tier pass catching TE. On defense I will go with Mark Barron. He is scary talented, and after he came here he played with anger, fury, and confidence!

…..

Legend
Nobody...and I mean nobody wants to play our defense. So we need breakout performances from offense.

I'm hoping it ends up being Brian Quick because that would mean he came back from a serious injury and reached the potential we were hoping for. It would also mean we line up with trip towers in Britt (6'3") Quick (6'3") and Cook (6'5")....very difficult to defend all three! Would also open up lanes for Austin and Bailey to run amock on LB'ers and nickel backs.

If you think about it, we have real potential to be very exciting on offense this year.

Quick, Bailey, and Gurley could very well all put up breakout type years and if they do you can consider this a team to not only make the playoff's, but a team to beat in the playoff's.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really like the Stedman and GRob choices. I'll go a different route and pick Demetrius Rhaney. He'll shine in camp and take the starting Center job anchoring our run offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm with Alan.
Ogletree has room to improve. I think he's going to bust some skulls this year. I think he hits the ground running this season.
Last year was a tough learning curve for our entire d.

My second choice. The entire offence. 24+ points a game.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't really know, but I hope it's an offensive skill position...Obviously for that to happen however, the Oline must be at least average...