Which QB would you target beyond first round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
LINK

If you are an NFL team with a need at quarterback, and none of the top QBs in the 2014 NFL Draft thrill you enough to spend a first-round pick on him, which one would you target after the first 32 selections and in what round?
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com
  • Top Jimmy: Small-school star is my choice
    In the second round I really like Jimmy Garoppolo from Eastern Illinois. The same school that produced Tony Romo is going to produce another good NFL quarterback. He's got quick feet, quick release and can extend plays with his athleticism. At the East-West Shrine Game when he got to play against some of those bigger-school guys, he was clearly the top quarterback down there. Then he gets a promotion to the Reese's Senior Bowl and does a nice job down there as well.
  • 0ap1000000126483.jpg
  • Charles Davis NFL.com
  • Injury keeping Murray under the radar
    Target? Aaron Murray. Round? After what I anticipate will be a tremendous pro day for him next week, teams should begin thinking about the Georgia QB in the second round. Due to a late-season knee injury that kept him out of the postseason all-star games and the NFL Scouting Combine and has limited him in individual workouts, Murray has been below the radar. Some are leery of his height (below 6-foot-1). Others question his arm strength. I see a 52-game starter in the SEC who left as the all-time leader in passing yardage, with 121 touchdowns, and got better every year. On film, I see plenty of wide-field throws as well as numerous downfield shots taken (and completed). Tough, competitive, smart (two-time Academic All America). Let the word get out: Aaron Murray is a QB to be considered. Strongly.
  • gil_brandt-110726_65.jpg
  • Gil Brandt NFL.com
  • Savage could surge into second round
    I'm taking Tom Savage and I'm taking him in the second round because he likely won't be there in the third. If you don't need him to play in 2014, even better. His lack of experience, not his ability, could hinder him early. He only played in 28 college games with three different schools -- Rutgers, Arizona and Pittsburgh. However, you saw progress in his final season at Pitt when he threw nine interceptions but only three in the final nine games. He has a gun for an arm that was tough to show off with little talent around him. I think that Savage will be selected in the top half of the second round.
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • Bucky Brooks NFL.com
  • McCarron's college success makes him best choice
    If I had to pick a QB outside of the first round to lead my team, I would target AJ McCarron as my guy. The three-time BCS national champion won 90 percent of his games, while showing superb management skills from the pocket. He completed more than 66.9 percent of passes and compiled an impressive 77:15 touchdown-to-interception ratio over his career. While critics dismiss his potential as a franchise quarterback, I would love to have a player who knows how to get his team to the winner's circle. Thus, McCarron is my choice to lead my team into the future.
  • 0ap2000000340531.jpg
  • Curtis Conway NFL Network analyst
  • Boyd can flat-out ball
    I'll take Tajh Boyd. When you put him next to all of these quarterbacks, he arguably had one of the best college careers. In the last three years at Clemson, he averaged 2,800 yards and 34 touchdowns a season. The thing I like about him the most is he can throw every ball. He can throw the deep ball; he puts it right there on the money. The one thing we love to evaluate quarterbacks on is the deep out, and he can absolutely throw that ball. And let's not forget, he can also run with the football, too. When you add all of those dimensions together, Tajh Boyd is the guy I'm definitely keeping my eye on.
  • 0ap1000000217559.jpg
  • Chase Goodbread College Football24/7
    McCarron is as NFL-ready as any QB in draft
  • Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr. NFL clubs could jump off in any direction from there, from Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo to Pittsburgh's Tom Savage. But the smart pick is Alabama's AJ McCarron. Clubs drafting a quarterback in the second round will have an immediate need for someone who can legitimately compete for a starting job right away. McCarron is as ready-made for the NFL from a mental standpoint as any quarterback in the draft. Clubs that don't want to deal with much developmental time will covet him.
  • 0ap1000000217563.jpg
  • Mike Huguenin College Football24/7
    No sure-fire starters beyond first round
  • Jimmy Garoppolo has enough of an upside that I would take him in the second round. I also think San Jose State's David Fales and Georgia's Aaron Murray in the fourth or fifth round would make sense, and Wyoming's Brett Smith and Clemson's Tajh Boyd would intrigue me in the sixth. QBs I would avoid: AJ McCarron, Zack Mettenberger, Tom Savage and Logan Thomas.
  • 0ap2000000332421.jpg
  • Bryan Fischer College Football24/7
    Hold off until Day 3 of draft for developmental player
  • Teddy Bridgewater slips to the second round, as is the buzz about him, he's the first guy I target after the first round and would even considering moving up to get him on the second day. Jimmy Garoppolo interests me, but I think given the talent that could be in next year's quarterback class, I'd rather look on the third day to get Aaron Murray or David Fales as a third quarterback on the roster/developmental guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simba

Rookie
I am agree with Bucky Brooks.McCarron is a good game-manager.He is a winner.He is the most similar qb to our Sam from this draft .If one day we need to change Bradford, he will be the perfect guy on his shoes ...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Aaron Murray because he is the antithesis of Sam Bradford. He's fiery and has the ability before the injury to move within the pocket and keep the play alive and the players seem to rally around him.

I also like Tom Savage because of the size and arm strength plus he can move a little. My concerns with Jimmy Garoppolo which souns miniscule is his hand size. It's 9' very small for QB's and QB's with small hands have a bad history in the NFL. As to Zach Mettenberger, he reminds me too much of Bradford in some ways. Big, strong, but cannot move within the pocket, in fact, he has less ability to move within the pocket than Bradford and IMO the Rams need a QB that offers at the very minimum the ability to keep the play alive with quick feet and to run for a first down.

Last edited:

ausmurp

Starter
AJ McCarron imo as well. Especially if we can get him in the 3rd rd. I think he could be groomed for a yr and then would take over and be as good or better than Bradford. It's crazy how the NFL draft prospect ratings change throughout the years. 5 yrs ago McCarron is a top 5 pick, and Manziel is not a 1st rd pick at all. Crazy.

fearsomefour

Legend
David Fales is my favorite. I think he could be had in the third round or later.
Use those earlier picks to get guys you hope get on the field. Select the developmental backup QB later partly because you hope he does not get on the field.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If it was me, I would wait at least until round 3-4 and look at who fell. There is always someone who fell and could be a steal.

Alan

Legend
I don't know who we should pick but I hope we won't be picking a back up QB until the 4th round at the earliest.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Garoppolo or McCarron are my 2 choices. I prefer Garoppolo with our 1st second rounder, which we'll receive from a top 6 team in a 1st round trade down :sneaky::sneaky:.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fales has been my project QB all along. I had him in my mock in the 6th rd, but it seems his stock has risen a bit since then. I really don't want to draft a QB in the first 4 rds.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Aaron Murray. After we fix the OL and Secondary, he'll be the best available in the 4th. (if he lasts) I also agree with Mojo about Fales - he could develop into something, but Murray could help a team now

Aaron Murray still in line to be among draft's biggest steals
  • gil_brandt-110726_65.jpg
  • By Gil Brandt

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
David Fales concerns me because of Arm Strength can he make all the throws, is the question? IMO I just don't see him being able to make the throw across the field and down the field as well so I guess he did much better at his private work out, but IMO you should not need a private work out to showcase the ability to make all the throws.

Connor Shaw strikes as someone that can be a very good back up in the NFL and I realize Shaw would be drafted later, however, my hope with the QB the Rams select in 2014 is that he has the upside to be a future starter in the NFL. Now I too hope that Bradford puts the injuries behind him and becomes one of the upper echelon signal callers in the NFL, but my contingency plan would be to have a field general with the ability to lead each and every Sunday not just to win a battle every now and then.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been and still am on board with Murray. He is a winner. Reminds me of Montana when he was at ND