Whats gone wrong this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What gone wrong this year:thinking:.....going to be a long post would it not? I am going to stay away from the coaches stuff because most of us clearly know very well the most of all that went south with them. I just do defense today.
Defense:
DL-
The weak outside pass rush from the big three veteran DE's (Quinn/Sims & Hayes)help opponents double & sometimes triple up on Aaron Donald inside.

Rob Quinn has not been healthy much the last two seasons & has shown signs of early career wear down. His trending arrow has been bent far downward to the right with no signs of any resurrection. If Quinn remains a Ram in 2017 (very questionable due to his 11 mil cap hit) serious consideration must be made to his current fulltime role. Quinn has been totally MIA on right side run containment all season. His pass rush is a straight 15 yard drive by rush of the QB pocket is useless & unproductive(n) Rams have paid out over 28 million for only 9 sacks in 2 seasons 2015/2016. 2016 starter Quinn has only 10 tackles when compared to DL backups 4th DE Westbrooks has 11 tacks & our 4th DL Easley has 24 tackles. Rams other starting DE has 26 tackles. Quinn's main back up has 17 tacks.

Michael Brockers like Quinn has not been healthy this season. In previous yrs our NT Brockers has had 44 & 46 tackles. This season he has only 13. Blockers' back up NT Cam Thomas has a pitifully low 6 tacks. The NT position between them has permitted gapping inside runs not seen in several yrs.

DB-
EJ Gaines what can be said here other than a disastrous return after a being IR's in 2015. EJ's outside pass coverage may be the worst seen in many years if not for Coty Sensabaugh's early season performance.. An UDFA rookie Michael Jordan replaced EJ in the 2nd quarter last Sunday & Jordan played like an all pro after watching EJ's performance all season. If EJ can not return to some 2014 form he is nothing better than a back up Nickle or a 5th or 6th reserve corner @ best.

Coty Sensabaugh total fail mode UFA signing & cut in 2016. We were told that the plans for the Coty signing were to be our main back up to both outside corners & our Nickle. Coty was none of that. Rams have been working since his release to find his replacement....4 or 5 WWC's DB's have been signed trying to fill his position.

Trumaine Johnson is a #1 corner but his big play making abilities like his 7 INT's from last season has been MIA. He has 1 thus far. His overall tackles is trending much lower than last season too. The Rams might have to dig up & tear up contracts of other big Ram contract to find close to 60 million for a 4 yr contract @ 15 mil a yr to keep him here past this next 4 weeks. Johnson's 2016 season is not close to being on par with his 2015 season. But offenses did discover that his partners EJ Gaines/Sensabaugh on the other side was easy pickings for a ton of completions s too. Bottom line is his big play fountain is bone dry.

Mo Alexander is not starting deep/free safety material. Mo skills & talents would be much better used as an in the box strong safety. He has no feel of the game in the deep secondary & is void of play making ability in pass coverage. Many members here says give him time Mo's learning his trade but IMO it's wishful thinking & a total waste of valuable time.This experiment should be trash canned & flushed in 4 weeks. Mo should return to his last half 2015 season position @ starting SS in 2017.

Two 2016 big contracts that bother me currently:
#1-WR Tavon Austin to a 4 year, $42,000,000 contract. TA has a 15 mil. cap hit in 2017..:censored:
#2-LB Mark Barron signed a 5 year, $45,000,000 contract. Barron has a 11 mil. cap hit in 2017:unsure:

Reading those tackle / sacks stats were extremely depressing and really do point to our nose-dive. I hadn't realised our D-line was as bad as that this year!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Reading those tackle / sacks stats were extremely depressing and really do point to our nose-dive. I hadn't realised our D-line was as bad as that this year!!!

Yes Sir, I had no ideal I would find that when I started. The NT production is barley above non existence. I was banging the drum hard for a excellent drafted NT in the 2016 draft before the trade for Goff. I posted many posts on the big issues in the DL for a big run stopper to relieve Brockers. My posted fears came back to haunt me. Thomas needs to be replaced if possible. One free agent DL'er who should be #1 on the list to retained is 3 technic DT Dominique Easley.

It would appear the warm sunny LA Coliseum real green grass is very agreeable to his sore knees...how's the weather in New England currently?

Easley has shown that he can make it through a full season uninjured. The former UF star & former #1 selection of the Patriots 24 yr old Easley who plays Aaron Donald back up should get some serious considerations to lock him up for 3 to 4 yrs here while he is only a RFA. If DT Easley can start @ the Donald position in a much larger role then the serious need for an productive outside pass rusher is diminished considerably. Donald can rover both DE positions causing havoc for all OT who face him. Both veteran DE Eugene Sims & Rob Quinn would make my list for considerations to be released in order to find over 10 million cap $$ to spend on productive less costly younger DL'ers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll play

@shaunpinney
  • What's happened to our stud RB and our running game? Should we be running it more and should we be mixing it up in the back field? Sophomore slump....lol..jk...Teams are all about taking away Gurley. Check out how many defenders have their eyes on him..how much he gets hit. And like someone said above, it's time to put this gift away until 2017. See what Brown can do for u...
  • Should Goff have started week 1, whether he was 100% ready or not? Hell yeah, if Goff wasn't ready, what was Case? Same simple plays...
  • If he wasn't 100% ready, then why not? Could he not have been brought up to speed post-draft and through pre-season? Coaching....Coaching....Coaching...and the guy that HIRED these dudes.
  • Our D-line doesn't look as fearsome as last year, any thoughts? They're not....Quinn and Donald have always fueled this defense. Players look BETTER playing next to a healthy Quinn and Donald. Hayes played better as a sub...coming in against a winded lineman...the others are proving they are "meh" players. I do like Longacre. And Easley.
  • Was letting CB JJ an error? Possibly....should have drafted a corner with all those 2nd round picks.
  • Our gameplan, I'm finding it hard to pin-point one, is it purely field positioning with our punts? We have the best punting unit in the league. You feel better? Good. Field position is a huge part of the game..so is time of possession...so are turnovers...The gameplan again is on coaching...specifically Boras. I'll leave it at that.
  • Our O-line seems to have taken a step back from last year and I was hoping for a step forward with the cohesion, has it just been the juggling of players and positions due to injuries? Would you handle things differently? First, I have a serious problem with the PLAYERS drafted. The specs...the athleticism...40 times & bench presses...SQUATS too....I'm big on that...Look at Tom Cable in Seattle. Grab a big ass stud...Stop grabbing guys that make you go, "huh, who's that?"
  • How can things be turned around? I'm a medical guy...Looks like we need an operation, and need to cut some stuff out...simple as that.
  • Kenny Britt, I think he's a FA after this season, I like what he brings and would like to keep him. What do you guys think? Personally, Kenny Britt & Brian Quick are the only pro wr's we have on the roster....Sorta like JJ....Sorta like Quinn...The only one that WE have....I'd re-sign both to short term deals....or/and draft replacements....
  • What's going to be our policy in the draft? What positions are worth looking at to upgrade? Center....Linebacker....Corner...then BPA....sorry...I'ma believer that with the number of players, skilled players, you can draft for need higher up...due to the relatively equal value of player A to player B....except for QB. That is...if you have a high rated DE and a high rated OT, and you need an OT, take the OT, even if the DE is rated above him...

Mo Alexander is not starting deep/free safety material. Mo skills & talents would be much better used as an in the box strong safety. He has no feel of the game in the deep secondary & is void of play making ability in pass coverage. Many members here says give him time Mo's learning his trade but IMO it's wishful thinking & a total waste of valuable time.This experiment should be trash canned & flushed in 4 weeks. Mo should be the Rams starting SS in 2017.
Hmmmm, I see where you're going with this Boni....Much like Goff, Mo shoulda played more earlier....He has no clue what is going on in the secondary and it shows...Hell, he looks like he never played ST and made an open field tackle....but he has the ability...I'm gonna give him one more year...but I'd look at my boy Rhino from Tennessee too!
I have the same feelings about Barron at LB...Great player...so good you hardly notice...but he's a SS...and it's hurting this team against the run. What to do with TJ Mac, Mo Alex, and Mark Barron? 3 players...one position...who thought of this shit?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hmmmm, I see where you're going with this Boni....Much like Goff, Mo shoulda played more earlier....He has no clue what is going on in the secondary and it shows...Hell, he looks like he never played ST and made an open field tackle....but he has the ability...I'm gonna give him one more year...but I'd look at my boy Rhino from Tennessee too!
I have the same feelings about Barron at LB...Great player...so good you hardly notice...but he's a SS...and it's hurting this team against the run. What to do with TJ Mac, Mo Alex, and Mark Barron? 3 players...one position...who thought of this crap?

If Gregg is here next season he should be forced to re organize his defense in a major way. In truth Gregg has been lining up a thin skinny strong safety 6-2 1/1 213 pounder & a dinky short 5-8 180 pound free safety at both his starting WSLB'er & SSLB'er posts. Guess there is a reason teams have run on us when they need too. Sounds UNSOUND when you look deep here. The big problem he had with this LB unit is what happen in front of them this season CHAMP.

The right DE's (Quinn/Sims) have displayed very little pass rush & very weak outside containment. So I would offer some defense on Mark Barron's play here. Barron lines up the majority of the time behind those two weak DE's naturally would suffer from the poor play in front of him.

Then add to the fact that the NT post for most of 2016 season is invisible! Now the weakness of Gregg's defense is out front for all to see. Barron looked much better in 2015 in the same position but the 2015 version of Brockers/Nick Fairley @ NT was in full operation & highly effective! See my point? The NT post of Thomas/Brockers 2016 version is painfully weaker.Cam Thomas is no Nick Fairley, Brockers is unhealthy & can you tell me when the last NT was drafted by Fisher? Think it was the 2012 draft. :mad: so what do we get with all those elements ? ...:santa:we get to see the results of this defense on Sundays.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We can pick at the defense if we want, and I'm sure there are some changes and improvements that can be made. There is always room for improvement. However, at times this year our defense has just played lights-fking-out, just totally shutting down the opposition, and doing it without jack squat for support from the offense ... which leads me to where the main focus should be as to why this year went into the toilet: the offense.

Gawd, has our offense been bad or what? It starts at the top though, with the philosophy of a head coach who believes in playing not to lose, keeping games close, and winning with defense in the 4th quarter. That's always been a precarious philosophy to begin with, as it leaves little margin for error. But it's even less viable nowadays in an era where the rules have been designed to favor offenses and favor scoring. Nevertheless, Fisher has stuck with this philosophy, and it has been reflected in his offensive coordinator hires, which went from bad, to worse, to just unbelievably awful. That is the root of the problem, and until that's fixed most of what falls under that umbrellas is just tinkering. It's like trying to fix a headlight on your car when it has a cracked piston.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sell short those concerns regarding the defense. But the defense only needs tweaking and adjustments, the offense needs a philosophical overhaul, not to mention some personnel improvements.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We can pick at the defense if we want, and I'm sure there are some changes and improvements that can be made. There is always room for improvement. However, at times this year our defense has just played light-fking-out, just totally shutting down the opposition, and doing it without jack squat for support from the offense ... which leads me to where the main focus should be as to why this year went into the toilet: the offense.
For my part on this topic discussion I pointed out that I would do defense today...reason being we have a freeze incoming here in the deep south so I have some major stuff to do to prepare since it's been summer like for the last 10 months running.......by the way your 100% right about the offense..... it's a much longer & work intensive amount to compile.....maybe somebody will do it fully in detailed for me & I can just do an easy High Five!:LOL:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Draft? Draft?? Are you kidding me? What draft?

# 3 because of how poorly the o l is playing i'm not sure we should have played him at all this year

# 6 imo it is just the keep it close and pull it out in the end. not working real well should try something else

# 7 try a new coach

# 9 yes keep him we need all the help we can get

# 10 before the season started I thought we were in good shape and could just take bpa. now imo every position group except qb and te needs help and I have ? about qb and te. with our first pick (#2) take wr 2nd pick take a c bpa after that pluss need help in fa.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think this season is a perfect storm of our unimaginative offense showing its true colors and teams figuring out how to negate our pass rush, leaving our secondary and undersized linebackers susceptible to giving up the big play.

A55VA6

Legend
1. What's happened to our stud RB and our running game? Should we be running it more and should we be mixing it up in the back field?

IMO, running more won't solve anything. This OL is not good. Some of our starters would not be starters elsewhere.

Should Goff have started week 1, wether he was 100% ready or not?
Again, In my opinion - Yes.

If he wasn't 100% ready, then why not? Could he not have been brought up to speed post-draft and through pre-season?
He had to learn the playbook, protections, build chemistry, learn how to call plays in a huddle, learn how to get snaps from under center. Rams didn't want to throw a young 1st overall QB out there when his mind is going 1000mph.

Our D-line doesn't look as fearsome as last year, any thoughts?
You're right. Donald is great, Hayes is getting old, Quinn seems to be declining (health issues maybe the reason?) Rams need to look at DL in free agency / draft.

Was letting CB JJ an error?
Honestly, no. He's a good corner but paying him that much money... I'll pass.

Our O-line seems to have taken a step back from last year and I was hoping for a step forward with the cohesion, has it just been the juggling of players and positions due to injuries? Would you handle things differently?
I just think we need a few different players. Saffold is average and injury prone. Barnes is a liability, Robinson is a penalty machine, Wichmann sucks, Brown is just meh, Havenstein is pretty decent but needs to be better.

Kenny Britt, I think he's a FA after this season, I like what he brings and would like to keep him. What do you guys think?
I think he will be at the top of the list of Rams priorities this offseason.

What's going to be our policy in the draft? What positions are worth looking at to upgrade?
Rams need to go BPA unless a need is right there towards the top of the board. WR, OL, DL, LB, CB are what I would look at.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It really starts with Fisher's fundamental philosophy, especially on offense. His blunders on hiring an unknown OC who expects players to work with the scheme rather than adjust the scheme to the player's strengths speaks volumes. The scheme on defense adjusts to the players' strengths rather than letting the players adjust to the scheme, why is he unable to do the same on offense?

It's also his lack of effort to put accountability on positional coaches and players. Say what you want about Belichick, his expectations for positional coaches and even assistant coaches require a series of mental gymnastics, that's why they have guys like Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels doing an excellent job in their respective positions. Fisher relies on nepotism rather than competence of their crew, see his hires on veteran positional coaches (i.e. Paul Boudreau) and his preference to have veterans play first (i.e. Case Keenum). I will give props to Fisher for hiring Groh, he's an excellent addition for us in the passing game; he needs to make more good hires like this.

I'm sure Fisher has a vision to make all of the pieces work, the problem is he's relying on archaic methods of management. If you can't adapt to your environment, you're doomed to fail. In some cases, playing it safe is a much riskier move than taking risks itself. If he's truly staying with us in the offseason, he best make renovations on offense (both coaching and players) if he wants a winning season, especially with that stubborn ball-control philosophy. I expect a modern NFL offense to be well-rounded situationally: An ability to drop an obscene amount of points when our defense falters and good clock-management in a comfortable lead

If he fails to address this in the offseason, no harm done, I have no need to waste my time watching Fisherball.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
#1) I think a big part of the Problem with Gurley and the O-Line is Gurley was Babied and protected in camp Not allowing him to hit or bet hit in camp. How is that supposed to prepare a player for the regular season!?! Let alone get the O-Line used to blocking for him when they Can't go "Full Tilt"!
The "D" should have been allowed to Knock him around a bit to get him Ready! This is not a game of Flag Football!
#2) I think Goff should have started Around week #6! Just my gut take on it!
#3) I think Goff had learned all he could without Starting!
#4) I think Letting Chris Long go was a HUGE Mistake! Hayes is a Great "Rotational DE" NOT a Full time starting LDE! Teams Feared the combo of Long and Quinn because they knew "If the Right one don't get you the Left one will!!" That was our meat and Potatoes and " Donald and Brockers are the Gravey!! Maybe it was time to let JL go, IDK, But he had value! ( Our last 4 years we have averaged 50+ Sacks, This year I doubt we have 20 so far! THAT SUCKS!!)
Now, the way Quinn is Beat-Up, we probably need two DE's!
#5) I wish we could have keep JJ or McLeod, but Stuff Happens! Now we have to go shopping again. We need someone who can take on TE's!
#6) To call our game Planning " Pathetic" would be Polite! We need a creative, experienced, OC!! Someone Like Mike Martz or Norv Turner If not them someone Like them!! Maybe Kyle Shannahan!?!
#7) Our O-line is a mess, and I see no-one worth Keeping! Harsh But True, They all and it wouldn't bother me!
#8) We need to go out there with the Attitude, kind of like " F--k-It, I'm like a Duck, I don't give a F--k! If there aint no water I'll walk!!" or " I just want to go out there and kick the guy's A$$ who is in front of me! One play at a time every play for 60 minutes or however long the game is!" Attack! Attack! Attack! Kill! Kill! Kill! Cut the lets be nice to each other, and have a photo op BS!!
#9) Britt is with-out-a-doubt our Best WR but we need more. I think the way Goff is progressing things will get better for the WR Crew!
#10) We need to Draft O-Line Talent, and A Big fast LB who can take-out TE's / A CB or two would be Nice, And the very Best LDE we can Find!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
d2cae78bad51a32625b8b8ef1ccce1f3.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  1. What's happened to our stud RB and our running game? Teams are focused on Gurley. Should we be running it more and should we be mixing it up in the back field? Absolutely, that's what worked last season. More Tavon in the backfield ... they payed for him.
  2. Should Goff have started week 1, wether he was 100% ready or not? Absolutely not.
  3. If he wasn't 100% ready, then why not? Because the rest of the team would have suffered, he would have developed bad habits, and the coaches would have been forced to make adjustments detrimental to the entire offense to suit him. Could he not have been brought up to speed post-draft and through pre-season? No, he just wasn't any good to start the season. I blame Fisher for a lot of things, but that isn't one of them.
  4. Our D-line doesn't look as fearsome as last year, any thoughts? Long is gone and Quinn isn't what he was. Hayes and Sims, really? They went with depth this year and they lost a lot in the secondary without replacing it. Defense functions as a team and they hurt for it, no surprise here.
  5. Was letting CB JJ an error? Without finding a suitable replacement, yes, big mistake. I'd have kept Jenkins over Tavon every day and twice on Sunday if it were an option.
  6. Our gameplan, I'm finding it hard to pin-point one, is it purely field positioning with our punts? You can't pinpoint one thing about anyone's offensive and defensive game plan. It's a complete system, and they have obviously written a season evolving (hopefully) book on it.
  7. Our O-line seems to have taken a step back from last year and I was hoping for a step forward with the cohesion, has it just been the juggling of players and positions due to injuries? No. Would you handle things differently? Power run block. They should have kept Cook until they knew they had something better. Dual threat options at tight end are a must when you want to rush this badly.
  8. How can things be turned around? Best they can do is make the best of a go forward plan, which includes making teams respect the passing game, because I'm pretty sure they're all in on that with Goff.
  9. Kenny Britt, I think he's a FA after this season, I like what he brings and would like to keep him. What do you guys think? I think they ought to keep him, but also look for a free agent. I knew he was a 49er, but I've always liked what Crabtree brings.
  10. What's going to be our policy in the draft? What positions are worth looking at to upgrade? As always, I'd play the opportunist, getting those players that I know a Fisher team can put to use immediately. No more long term projects. The biggest need on this team is at Corner. So I don't care if they can't find quality they like in the second round. Other than that, a good Defensive End that Fisher likes is something you jump on anywhere, Line Backer for depth and just because a really good LB would change what Williams can do dramatically, a really good dual threat Tight End would do more for the passing and blocking game than anyone can imagine, so that's something that I would take with a second round pick also. A true upgrade at center, I would also sacrifice a second pick for, not because Barnes is that awful but because an upgrade there would mean a huge upgrade for the entire offense. But be wary of the immediate upgrade warning at center, because Fisher would probably be less than likely to go with inexperience at both center and quarterback. Iteration for my call for a corner. I don't even care what round. I summary though, I plainly trust Fisher with defensive picks. His track record there is proven. Offensive picks not so much.

I'd like to see more of Tavon in the backfield too - line up Gurley and Austin and see what can be done ;)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'll play

@shaunpinney
  • What's happened to our stud RB and our running game? Should we be running it more and should we be mixing it up in the back field? Sophomore slump....lol..jk...Teams are all about taking away Gurley. Check out how many defenders have their eyes on him..how much he gets hit. And like someone said above, it's time to put this gift away until 2017. See what Brown can do for u...
  • Should Goff have started week 1, whether he was 100% ready or not? Hell yeah, if Goff wasn't ready, what was Case? Same simple plays...
  • If he wasn't 100% ready, then why not? Could he not have been brought up to speed post-draft and through pre-season? Coaching....Coaching....Coaching...and the guy that HIRED these dudes.
  • Our D-line doesn't look as fearsome as last year, any thoughts? They're not....Quinn and Donald have always fueled this defense. Players look BETTER playing next to a healthy Quinn and Donald. Hayes played better as a sub...coming in against a winded lineman...the others are proving they are "meh" players. I do like Longacre. And Easley.
  • Was letting CB JJ an error? Possibly....should have drafted a corner with all those 2nd round picks.
  • Our gameplan, I'm finding it hard to pin-point one, is it purely field positioning with our punts? We have the best punting unit in the league. You feel better? Good. Field position is a huge part of the game..so is time of possession...so are turnovers...The gameplan again is on coaching...specifically Boras. I'll leave it at that.
  • Our O-line seems to have taken a step back from last year and I was hoping for a step forward with the cohesion, has it just been the juggling of players and positions due to injuries? Would you handle things differently? First, I have a serious problem with the PLAYERS drafted. The specs...the athleticism...40 times & bench presses...SQUATS too....I'm big on that...Look at Tom Cable in Seattle. Grab a big ass stud...Stop grabbing guys that make you go, "huh, who's that?"
  • How can things be turned around? I'm a medical guy...Looks like we need an operation, and need to cut some stuff out...simple as that.
  • Kenny Britt, I think he's a FA after this season, I like what he brings and would like to keep him. What do you guys think? Personally, Kenny Britt & Brian Quick are the only pro wr's we have on the roster....Sorta like JJ....Sorta like Quinn...The only one that WE have....I'd re-sign both to short term deals....or/and draft replacements....
  • What's going to be our policy in the draft? What positions are worth looking at to upgrade? Center....Linebacker....Corner...then BPA....sorry...I'ma believer that with the number of players, skilled players, you can draft for need higher up...due to the relatively equal value of player A to player B....except for QB. That is...if you have a high rated DE and a high rated OT, and you need an OT, take the OT, even if the DE is rated above him...

I have the same feelings about Barron at LB...Great player...so good you hardly notice...but he's a SS...and it's hurting this team against the run. What to do with TJ Mac, Mo Alex, and Mark Barron? 3 players...one position...who thought of this crap?

I really am surprised we didn't pick up a CB in the draft too, especially as you said, we had 'bonus' R2 picks...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
#1) I think a big part of the Problem with Gurley and the O-Line is Gurley was Babied and protected in camp Not allowing him to hit or bet hit in camp. How is that supposed to prepare a player for the regular season!?! Let alone get the O-Line used to blocking for him when they Can't go "Full Tilt"!
The "D" should have been allowed to Knock him around a bit to get him Ready! This is not a game of Flag Football!
#2) I think Goff should have started Around week #6! Just my gut take on it!
#3) I think Goff had learned all he could without Starting!
#4) I think Letting Chris Long go was a HUGE Mistake! Hayes is a Great "Rotational DE" NOT a Full time starting LDE! Teams Feared the combo of Long and Quinn because they knew "If the Right one don't get you the Left one will!!" That was our meat and Potatoes and " Donald and Brockers are the Gravey!! Maybe it was time to let JL go, IDK, But he had value! ( Our last 4 years we have averaged 50+ Sacks, This year I doubt we have 20 so far! THAT SUCKS!!)
Now, the way Quinn is Beat-Up, we probably need two DE's!
#5) I wish we could have keep JJ or McLeod, but Stuff Happens! Now we have to go shopping again. We need someone who can take on TE's!
#6) To call our game Planning " Pathetic" would be Polite! We need a creative, experienced, OC!! Someone Like Mike Martz or Norv Turner If not them someone Like them!! Maybe Kyle Shannahan!?!
#7) Our O-line is a mess, and I see no-one worth Keeping! Harsh But True, They all and it wouldn't bother me!
#8) We need to go out there with the Attitude, kind of like " F--k-It, I'm like a Duck, I don't give a F--k! If there aint no water I'll walk!!" or " I just want to go out there and kick the guy's A$$ who is in front of me! One play at a time every play for 60 minutes or however long the game is!" Attack! Attack! Attack! Kill! Kill! Kill! Cut the lets be nice to each other, and have a photo op BS!!
#9) Britt is with-out-a-doubt our Best WR but we need more. I think the way Goff is progressing things will get better for the WR Crew!
#10) We need to Draft O-Line Talent, and A Big fast LB who can take-out TE's / A CB or two would be Nice, And the very Best LDE we can Find!

I know JL55s play was declining, and he isn't elite, but I just think he had more value on OUR team than others. He understood and managed our D, you know a defensive game manager...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know JL55s play was declining, and he isn't elite, but I just think he had more value on OUR team than others. He understood and managed our D, you know a defensive game manager...
We miss the adjustments...listened to an ole MLB from the Lions on PFT....he was talking tels...intel...on offenses...it was interesting....talking about the sounds linemen make when it's a run...shoulders turned 90 degrees on PA pass...wealth of knowledge...just like JL55. While I didn't mind JL release...woulda been nice to move him to SLB, help tree, and get him off the field for passing downs as we bring in a 5th db...JMO...I think Nick Fairley is missed more than JL...Maybe Akeem Ayers...definitely miss JJ more than everyone...except Nick...he was playing like a beast this time last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We miss the adjustments...listened to an ole MLB from the Lions on PFT....he was talking tels...intel...on offenses...it was interesting....talking about the sounds linemen make when it's a run...shoulders turned 90 degrees on PA pass...wealth of knowledge...just like JL55. While I didn't mind JL release...woulda been nice to move him to SLB, help tree, and get him off the field for passing downs as we bring in a 5th db...JMO...I think Nick Fairley is missed more than JL...Maybe Akeem Ayers...definitely miss JJ more than everyone...except Nick...he was playing like a beast this time last year.
Nick Fairley was our back up NT last season. Cam Thomas took his place in 2016. The difference is as clear as night & day. Yes the loss of Fairley has proven to be a disaster for our run stopping middle defense. However the Rams would have never been able to afford him & give those big $$$ Tavon Austin & Mark Barron contracts either .

SSLB'er Ayers was going to cost over 3 million worth of cap $$$ this season. Ayers was a less than par time player seeing the field about 35 % of the time in Gregg's 2015 defense. Now with the ongoing health issues with Quinn & Brockers & the weak run defense up the middle of our defensive line ...... having Ayers here might have come in handy but they did discover a golden nugget in rookie 6th round pick SSLB'er Josh Forrest too. present back up SSLB'er UDFA rookie Littleton has shown some promise too. Both of them cost about 1/3 of what Ayers would have cost. In 2017 we have a new DC I would bet that Josh Forrest is our starting SSLb'er in our new defense.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
To me the one glaring problem this year has been the complete lack of a running game. In the first half of the season even a modestly successful running game would have likely turned several Ls into Ws. Is it the RB or the Oline? Yes both Gurley and his "road graders" have been inept and it has shown. Too many hits in the backfield and when there was some what of a lane many times Gurley had his eye shut or head down and never saw the hole. Kind of the chicken or the egg which on fucked it up first.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

We sure did lose a lot of quality and experience last year, forgot about Fairley tbh, another BIG hole!!