What's Black and White and wants to kill me?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So today was like any other Friday, I now the grass. Well today, I was working more on my lower pasture cutting some of the thick crap down. It was so tall, I went about 10 yards forwards and realized it was a bit much and wasn't completely mowed so I reversed. When I finished the reverse, I looked forward and started to go, when suddenly I noticed several hundred, ( I don't wanna say 1,000 but it's possible) white and black, bumble bee looking things coming out of the ground and they didn't seem happy at all, about 10 were headed my way and I kicked it in high and got the fuck out of dodge. So my question....wtf are these? I assume a hornet of some kind, but and they were so fat. And, how do I get rid of them without certain death? lol

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
They could be yellow jackets. They do come in black and white despite the name. They are fierce when disturbed and highly protective of their underground nest. Pound for pound, they pack a punch like no other. Unfortunately, if you want to mow that area, you'll have to kill them first or they will tear you a new one. If they are yellow jackets, they will have a main entrance to the nest and an escape route. Once I find them in my yard, I scout the nest from a safe distance to see where they are entering and exiting from and put a brick over that opening. Leave immediately, then come back 20 minutes later, approaching cautiously, and you will see them using the escape entrance. Mark it and leave again until dark when they are more docile. You'll have to then treat the nest with your equalizer of choice and cover all escape routes. I've used diesel fuel before ( I know, not too environmentally friendly but awful effective.) and it doesn't take much. If you have ever been attacked by yellow jackets, you'll understand you have to do something about them.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/yellowjackets.htm

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was nervous that i may have to get up close and personal. I was hoping they would just say "oh sorry sir, continue on" and leave me alone lol

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I was nervous that i may have to get up close and personal. I was hoping they would just say "oh sorry sir, continue on" and leave me alone lol
Not a chance! I ran across a nest one time while weed eating. I thought I was slinging something on my ankles with weed eater at first, then I saw them. I took off running, forgot to drop the weed eater which made them follow me even more. By the time I got into the house, I had about a half dozen of them hanging off my butt. I had to pull them off because once they engage, they are in it for the long haul. Painful, painful sting.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Yellow jackets brother. They are aggressive little bastards and get especially testy when it gets hot. I had to deal with that about a while back. I put on a rediculous but impenetrable suit including a fencing helmet and moon moots to deal with them. I know you wannt pictures...there arent any. So I went out to their lair (a hole in the ground) and shoved a caulk gun into it and filled it full as i could with silicone. There were a few stragglers flying around looking for the hole for a while but they did move on.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I got as close was I could in the 4X4. Best pics I could get. Doesn't look like a yellow jacket to me

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, they aren't happy. There are prolly 10 of them that was attacking the truck. And maybe 20 just feverishly working on the ground. I don't know where the hell the others went.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Whatever they are they have to die. Find out where their home base is and, in my best emperor palpatine voice,..."Wipe them out. All of them."

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No, I think they are northern golden bumble bees

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
From the pictures you took , I'm guessing their just ground bees , they usually make homes in old rodent holes , their usually no more aggressive then normal bumble bees , unless to try and run a lawn mower over the top of their hive , then they might get a little aggravated with ya , ;)

Probably one of the easiest ways to get rid of them is to turn the garden hose on them , flood them out , they usually like it very dry

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I drove down yesterday and they had rebuilt the mound. I drove over it with the truck a few times. I think that I trapped them. I only saw one after that

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bald faced hornets is what they most likely were. I ran across some once. Their sting is not as bad as a Yellow Jacket, which is a Wasp. Paper and mud wasps stings hurt more too.

How high was the grass?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
3-4', it's an overgrown horse pasture that I'm trying to knock back down slowly

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
3' to 4' grass is enough to harbor a hornets nest. I found them about 4' up in the woods, inside a multiflora rose bush. They are wasps too but are very aggressive when disturbed.

Bald-Face-Hornet-1.jpg

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I looked those up, that isn't what's there. It's a bee of some kind