What would it take for you to go defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Most years, I tend to preach BPA at all costs. Of course, its always at least somewhat of a balance between BPA and need - but I tend to lean heavily towards taking the higher rated prospect. This year, I honestly can't see any scenario where I'm taking a defensive player at pick #10.

Can anyone justify taking a defender in the first round this year? Or are we pretty much agreed that the offense gets the draft love this year?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If there was another Aaron Donald (though not on the DL, because we're pretty set there now) just waiting for us at #10, I'd say go for it.

Anything less than that, offense needs the help.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
There is no scenario where I would want the rams to draft defense in the first three rounds. The offense needs too much help and the defense is in too good of shape to do so.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Leonard Williams or Danny Shelton is there, even though we have no need whatsoever, I think I might lean towards one of them unless there's another talent at a greater position of need available, like a Mariota. Otherwise I see no need, nobody else in my opinion that I would take for our team. There are some other great guys but I'd never see them getting on the field.

I'd like to work on the offense if possible, but if FA goes good and we have the luxury of possibly getting an elite talent, sure.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Only if Leonard Williams was sitting right there at ten; in my opinion, he's even more of a physical freak than Clowney, and he's my number one player in this draft. If he fell to ten (which I think is completely impossible), I'd grab him without a moment's hesitation to play left end and learn from Chris Long for one year. Imagine Quinn, Donald, Brockers, and Williams on the same line. None of them over twenty-five. All of them physical freaks who just know how to play football.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you look at the 10 spot it doesn't seem likely that BPA will be a defender. And if the BPA is a defender I doubt the talent gap will be all that big with the next couple players. I don't see any Corners, Safeties, LBs that could fall there. Maybe the DE from UCLA?

Now I have mentioned before and would be happy if BPA was a WR.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If you look at the 10 spot it doesn't seem likely that BPA will be a defender. And if the BPA is a defender I doubt the talent gap will be all that big with the next couple players. I don't see any Corners, Safeties, LBs that could fall there. Maybe the DE from UCLA?

Now I have mentioned before and would be happy if BPA was a WR.

You mean Leonard Williams from USC? If he's there, I would scoop him up without any hesitation. Hell, I'm tempted to trade up to get him if he blows up the Combine and we can get a guy like Wisniewski or Hudson in free agency. He's like nobody I've ever seen. He's 6'5", 295 lbs., has J.J. Watt's motor and power, has Calais Campbell's length, Julius Peppers' explosion and speed off the edge, incredible work ethic and understanding of the game, can play in any system (including left end in a 4-3), etc. This is a kid who is going to be in the Hall barring injuries.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If MLB Perryman is there @ #41 I would waste no time going for the London Clone!

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You mean Leonard Williams from USC? If he's there, I would scoop him up without any hesitation. Hell, I'm tempted to trade up to get him if he blows up the Combine and we can get a guy like Wisniewski or Hudson in free agency. He's like nobody I've ever seen. He's 6'5", 295 lbs., has J.J. Watt's motor and power, has Calais Campbell's length, Julius Peppers' explosion and speed off the edge, incredible work ethic and understanding of the game, can play in any system (including left end in a 4-3), etc. This is a kid who is going to be in the Hall barring injuries.

I am not thinking Leonard Williams gets past three and if the Rams trade up for a player I would hope it was a QB.

I do agree Leonard Williams looks to be a great Pro. But he is out of the Rams reach. If there is a stud WR or Center or OT/G that they give an equal grade to as the defenders on the board then I would prefer they go offense. The Rams main need is offensive line and maybe WR depending on Quicks shoulder.....and Qb of course. They cannot ignore the line again and a QB is a no brainer. Those pieces are whats keeping the Rams from being in the playoffs.

Snead even alluded to as much in one of the articles a few weeks ago. He basically said that they will be looking to fill some specific positions in this draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Leonard Williams or Danny Shelton is there, even though we have no need whatsoever, I think I might lean towards one of them unless there's another talent at a greater position of need available, like a Mariota. Otherwise I see no need, nobody else in my opinion that I would take for our team. There are some other great guys but I'd never see them getting on the field.

I'd like to work on the offense if possible, but if FA goes good and we have the luxury of possibly getting an elite talent, sure.

Shelton doesn't fit our defense. He's a 3-4 Nose.

Most years, I tend to preach BPA at all costs. Of course, its always at least somewhat of a balance between BPA and need - but I tend to lean heavily towards taking the higher rated prospect. This year, I honestly can't see any scenario where I'm taking a defensive player at pick #10.

Can anyone justify taking a defender in the first round this year? Or are we pretty much agreed that the offense gets the draft love this year?

Leonard Williams. I'd take him at #10. I'd consider Landon Collins if we traded down to the 18-25 range and he was available.

I'd definitely take Paul Dawson in the 2nd round. Best LB in this draft imo.

If MLB Perryman is there @ #41 I would waste no time going for the London Clone!

Not a fan. Thought he looked terrible against Nebraska and showed little intensity and emotion.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Shelton doesn't fit our defense. He's a 3-4 Nose.

Yeah, I think we could make it work though. He played quite a bit of 4-3 in Washington, we run more 3 down linemen looks than I realized, and he can play the Brockers role next to Donald. I don't think the fit is an issue, he can make it work fairly easily in my opinion. I see him slimming down a little in the NFL too honestly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I think we could make it work though. He played quite a bit of 4-3 in Washington, we run more 3 down linemen looks than I realized, and he can play the Brockers role next to Donald. I don't think the fit is an issue, he can make it work fairly easily in my opinion. I see him slimming down a little in the NFL too honestly.

We already have Brockers in the Brockers role. :LOL:

It's not so much about making it work as it is value. Shelton's most valuable as a 3-4 NT. I don't see him having nearly enough value to our team to draft him in the top 10.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We already have Brockers in the Brockers role. :LOL:

It's not so much about making it work as it is value. Shelton's most valuable as a 3-4 NT. I don't see him having nearly enough value to our team to draft him in the top 10.

Yeah your right :(, I just like him a lot and wanted an excuse to draft him, but it doesn't make that much sense.

Leonard Williams on the other hand...that'd be a done deal in my book if he was there at 10.

Going to look at Dawson, haven't really seen much of him play. You're not the only one I've seen praising him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah your right :(, I just like him a lot and wanted an excuse to draft him, but it doesn't make that much sense.

Leonard Williams on the other hand...that'd be a done deal in my book if he was there at 10.

Going to look at Dawson, haven't really seen much of him play. You're not the only one I've seen praising him.

Dawson blew me away. Really reminded me of Lavonte David. He just seems to always be a step ahead of everyone on the field.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Dawson blew me away. Really reminded me of Lavonte David. He just seems to always be a step ahead of everyone on the field.

I definitely wouldn't mind a Lavonte David type player on the team.

Why is he projected a 2nd round player? Size concerns? Do you think he'll move up into the 1st?

How would the LB situation go if we drafted him? Would Barron be obsolete? Would Dawson only play a small percentage of snaps?

Intrigued by the thought of drafting him, just curious how it would work out in the short term. Obviously he'd be the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I definitely wouldn't mind a Lavonte David type player on the team.

Why is he projected a 2nd round player? Size concerns? Do you think he'll move up into the 1st?

How would the LB situation go if we drafted him? Would Barron be obsolete? Would Dawson only play a small percentage of snaps?

Intrigued by the thought of drafting him, just curious how it would work out in the short term. Obviously he'd be the future.

Yep. Size and his ability to stack and shed. So I don't see him going in the 1st...but there will be 31 teams regretting passing on him.

My assumption would be that Laurinaitis would lose snaps in the nickel(Dawson is an exceptional LB in coverage) and Barron would likely end up starting at SS with McDonald at FS. But I don't know.

Regardless, that kid is a talent and could be a special MLB for us once he got GW's defense down.

I don't see us keeping him off the field for long.

Athos

Legend
Nothing.

I'd probably scream and rage until the very worms in the earth around my dwelling scamper off and the very trees wither and rot.

Seriously. The defensive pick would have to make us, unquestionably, the #1 defense in the NFL in every fucking statistical category for me to go defense, again, in the first.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
I'm sure this would be an unpopular opinion but I think we should consider dangling Robert Quinn out there to see what kind of offers we can get. Clearly, this would a sell-high situation. Replacing his production would be nearly impossible but now that we know what kind of disruptive force we have in Aaron Donald, I think we might be able to bring in either a veteran or 3rd roundish pass rusher and not really lose too much with d-line pressure.

That fat contract which will scare some away, but a bunch of teams are sorely in need of a pass rush and might give up a high 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd to get him. It'd be nice to use those picks to fix up those glaring weaknesses we have on the team, like maybe picking up an extra o-lineman and maybe either a deep ball threat or another linebacker to replace Jo-Lonn Dunbar and/or Lauranitis.

And also, is anyone else a bit frustrated with the production of Michael Brockers? I know he's still very young and relatively cheap, but I really expected more production out of that position than what we've gotten so far. Don't get me wrong. He's a good run stuffer, but his pass rush seems practically nonexistent.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm sure this would be an unpopular opinion but I think we should consider dangling Robert Quinn out there to see what kind of offers we can get. Clearly, this would a sell-high situation. Replacing his production would be nearly impossible but now that we know what kind of disruptive force we have in Aaron Donald, I think we might be able to bring in either a veteran or 3rd roundish pass rusher and not really lose too much with d-line pressure.

That fat contract which will scare some away, but a bunch of teams are sorely in need of a pass rush and might give up a high 1st rounder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd to get him. It'd be nice to use those picks to fix up those glaring weaknesses we have on the team, like maybe picking up an extra o-lineman and maybe either a deep ball threat or another linebacker to replace Jo-Lonn Dunbar and/or Lauranitis.

And also, is anyone else a bit frustrated with the production of Michael Brockers? I know he's still very young and relatively cheap, but I really expected more production out of that position than what we've gotten so far. Don't get me wrong. He's a good run stuffer, but his pass rush seems practically nonexistent.

Robert Quinn, right now, is one of three All-Pro players that we have on this team. I don't see any reason why you trade him when he's still only twenty-five and on a much cheaper contract than a lot of defensive superstars his age.

I'm actually quite pleased with what Brockers has done, and he has to be the unsung hero of this defense. Ever since Donald came onto the scene, Brockers' job has been at nose tackle, where he takes on two blockers at a time because of his length and power, which allows Donald, Quinn, Long, and the other players in the box to make splash plays easier. He's taken that job without any complaints. He may not show up in the stat sheet at times, but he's always a factor.