What Vikings Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
I can understand not respecting the Rams to a point.....but didn't Kellen Clemens get almost as many wins as their whole team in like 9 starts a year ago, including blowout wins over the Saints and Colts?
This is a completely different team then last year. We shall see soon enough.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Rams (0-0)
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=553001

I like our chances here. If preseason has any sort of indication of how a team will look during the year, we look like a well coached, strongly disciplined team who won't commit stupid penalties/turnovers.

You have to imagine St. Louis was behind Sam Bradford as their guy this season, and he's already out for the year. So now they start Shaun Hill as their hopeful savior. I don't expect the Rams to display the same chemistry you would see with Bradford starting. I expect their offense to be a little bit behind, and we need to exploit that. By showing different looks on defense, and managing to slow down their run game, I think we'll see the Rams offense struggle early and often.

Their defense is whats scary though. Their Dline is just unbelievable. We're going to need to get the ball out of Cassel's hands quickly, or otherwise they'll terrorize us. Swing passes to Peterson and McKinnon should be employed frequently, along with screen passes to Patterson and Jennings. Hopefully we can keep the defense honest by airing the ball out enough so they don't load 9 guys in the box though every play.

We both have very strong ST units. I expect that to be a wash. Tavon Austin can be a nightmare for us as a KR/PR. We'll need to pay special attention to him.

I'm not shaving my beard, and we're 4-0 when I don't shave.

I see the Vikings winning 24-13 with what will be a "feel good game".
--------------
fatgriffin.0_standard_500.0.gif

---------------
If history is any indication, it's the opposite. The Rams as a team seemed energized last year after losing Bradford. They wanted to prove to the world that they could win without him. Fisher is a great motivator and guys play hard for him.

Don't expect the Rams to come out flat.

As far as the Rams losing Bradford is concerned, it sucks. But I think you guys are ignoring the obvious here. Pot is meeting kettle in regards to the QBs in this game. You are starting Matt Cassel and like Shaun Hill, he's a backup caliber QB.

Only difference between the two is that Cassel has played more recently in the regular season. Which is a notable difference. Hill may have fallen off since the last time he played...however...it is also worth noting that Shaun Hill has the better track record as a starter.

You guys are putting a lot of stock in the preseason(which doesn't mean much) and are underestimating a team that went 4-5 last year with a FAR worse QB than Shaun Hill.
---------------
Definitely agree on Hill.

I brought that up when everyone immediately said trade Ponder to the Rams.

Hill is a career 60% passer with about a 2/1 TD/INT ratio; he's definitely an upgrade over Clemens.
--------------
jrry32 makes an appearance. :)

Yep. It'll be interesting to see what he has left as he hasn't played since that miracle finish in 2012.

I'm looking forward to finally getting some real NFL football. This should be an interesting game. Don't think any of us quite know what to expect. I like the staff you guys brought in. Should be a fun game. I'm just glad you guys aren't starting Teddy. I was worried our DL would kill the kid. I am rooting for his success and think he'll be a really good QB for the Vikes.
icon_biggrin.gif

---------------
We certainly hope so too!

You guys nabbed two of my favorites in the past draft. RG III trade is looking like an absolute coup.
---------------
S-jax39 - I have us winning this one because you guys are starting Cassel and I think hes awful.

Let us win this game, we will make cassel look extra bad and then its Teddy B time.
icon_wink.gif

Win-Win.
--------------
Cassel was productive last year and has been sharp all camp and preseason. We may all be in for a surprise. The rams defense is top notch, but the Vikings offense has looked plenty capable of moving the ball.
----------------
With Bradford injured, I think we have a real shot to win this game. Most important thing, as always, will be maintaining a positive turnover ratio. I have no doubts about our offenses' ability to move the ball. Cassel just needs to play smart and the defense just needs to make a few great plays.
----------------
#84 goes off! 2 TDs

#28 rushes 16 times for 60 yards and 1 TD, but he turns a screen pass into a long TD reception.

If there was ever a time where a defense could surprise an offense, it's early in the year. Typically, it's the other way around, but with Shaun Hill, he's always been hot, or ice-cold . . . never consistently good. I predict Zimmer/Edwards get pressure on him early, controls their run game well enough and gets 5 . . . yes five 3-n-outs and force 6 punts.

The difficulty of this game is Jeff Fisher . . . he's a really good coach and he's got a young, talented defense. They could pitch a shut-out, which wouldn't bode well, but in the end, I think this game has too many offensive playmakers on each side of the ball to be a low scoring slugfest.

Vikes 31 - Rams 20

P.S.: Wouldn't it be cool to see Walsh and Zurlein each kick 60+ yarders?
----------------
If the Rams defense comes to play it could be a close game. If they don't like the last time we played them the Vikings will win this one easily.
---------------
Its going to be hard to throw the ball down the field if their defensive line is abusing our offensive line.

Hopefully we can manage to get the ball to Patterson quickly so we can negate their pass rush.
--------------
I'm really licking my chomps over what our DL might do to a guy like Hill.
icon_twisted.gif

--------------
Wasn't at all concerned about their offense with Bradford, Hill doesn't change that. Their defense on the other hand will cause some major headaches for everyone on our offense.

I'm gonna be a homer and pick the Vikings in a close one. Regardless of who actually wins, I don't see either team taking a huge lead.
-------------
jrry32 - I might slow your role on this a bit. Aside from the DL, our OL is the strongest unit on the team on paper. My big concern is with Jake Long as he looked really rusty in the preseason but we have a ton of talent on the OL(and a great OL Coach). Greg Robinson might not even start...which is saying something.

I'm more concerned over Hill's actual ability to throw. I don't know if or how far he's fallen off since 2010.
-------------
No roles will be slowed. LOL

I realize this is your team, but we're going to hit Shaun Hill in the mouth over and over again. The best OL in the world can only protect a statue for so long.
--------------
jrry32
- Shaun Hill? You're thinking of the wrong guy. Shaun Hill definitely is not a statue.

He's got decent mobility. More mobile than Bradford.
--------------

I cannot get a feel for this game. I feel like it's going to be really close, and either team can win. I could see it pretty low scoring with the Rams D playing great and the Rams O playing not so great.

Inspired by John Madden:

The team that has the most points at the end of the 4th quarter is probably going to win the game.
---------------
I don't think that Shaun Hill is a huge downgrade from Sam Bradford, who has looked pretty ordinary after a promising rookie season.

It's a funny thing. The general consensus seems to be that the Rams got the better of the RG III deal. But the fact of the matter is that the Rams really don't have a quarterback and may not be in a great position to draft one next year.
---------------
could come down to the difference in big plays between Patterson and Tavon Austin. two players Spielman was willing to trade up for.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Hahahaha.
Me being optimistic with the Vikings; I still see them losing.
Our players already know Sam is out for the season and nothing else can be done about that, I just really want to see Britt and Quick help out Hill. Either way I say we win this 24-13, somewhere around there.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Ha, many of the Vikings' fans are making predictions with their hearts. Most of them know squat about this Rams team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As long as we don't spot them a TD early on a big play i like our chances to settle into our gameplan and control this game early and often.
Honestly, if our offense can limit the mental errors(false starts,illegal formations,incessant holding) we'll be fine vs a defense that quite frankly isn't very talented.

Our D is going to put a ton of pressure on Cassel to get the ball out. Vikes need to establish the run and use misdirection to tone down our front seven's aggressiveness. Peterson scares me. Dial up the wrong blitz vs a screen and he's gone. This will be a test for our young secondary to make the right reads vs Norv's offense too. Expect them to spread us out often, moving the TE Rudolph around. Rams D needs to own the middle of the field.

I'm confident that our ST's will kick, punt, return and cover well. I want to see Tavon get one in our house. :D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Vikings At Rams: Things We're Looking For
By Ted Glover@purplebuckeye on Sep 2 2014
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/9/2/6097269/vikings-at-rams-things-were-looking-for

20140828_ads_ab2_381.JPG.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

The Mike Zimmer era kicks off for real in St. Louis on Sunday. What can we expect from these new look Vikings?

There's been a lot of build up and anticipation to the 2014 edition of your Minnesota Vikings. It started the Monday after the season ended, with the firing of Leslie Frazier, and it's only built through the off season, training camp, and the pre-season. The Vikings have what appears to be a competent coaching staff, and good, young talent mixed with veteran leadership on both sides of the ball. It still remains to be seen how the season unfolds, but what should we be looking for come Sunday about noon?

Hey, Adrian Peterson is going to play:

For all the things said about pre-season meaning something--and to an extent, it does--the fact that it's ultimately meaningless was crystallized by Adrian Peterson not being on the field for a single play. Obviously, that's going to change on Sunday, and it's going to be interesting to see how the Rams defend the Vikings offense.

Minnesota looks like they have a bona fide passing game, and the Rams are going to have to defend it. Let's face it, they probably won't early, and it's going to allow Greg Jennings and/or Cordarrelle Patterson to make their mark early. Once that happens, and the Rams go into a standard seven man front, it's going to be AP time. Or, if the Rams bring a lot of pressure, expect AP to get some swing and screen passes in the flat, and make the Rams pay that way.

So, tell me about this new defense:

It's going to be a lot different than we're used to. And by 'different' what I mean is they won't sit back on their heels and look like they're trying to give away football games like clowns give away candy from a parade float anymore. In the pre-season, we saw a defense that showed a lot of different looks, brought heat from both sides and at almost every position, and was actually pretty stout against the run. And that was just the tip of iceberg.

They're going up against the ultimate journeyman quarterback in Shaun Hill, so one of two things are going to happen--Hill will be harassed and hammered the entire game, and this new look Vikings defense will produce at least three turnovers, OR...the Vikings defense will fulfill Shaun Hill's adult Make A Wish dream, and let him be Joe Montana for a day, picking apart the Vikings defense like an NFL Hall of Famer.

If this were the Vikings defense of the last several years, I would go with the 'or' scenario here, and I'd feel pretty confident in making that call. When you look at the fact that the Rams have a dearth of playmakers, a questionable offensive line, and a backup quarterback, this game really sets up well for the Vikings to make an opening statement on defense. The only way this could play into their favor more is if it was a home game. I expect a very good game from this revamped defense.

If they don't play well, we'll know that it's still smoke and mirrors, and we'll adjust our expectations accordingly. And I'll hate everything forever just because. And God help this team if they lose the game in the last minute.

God. Help. Them.

Who on defense is going to be a difference maker?

I'm going to single out two players, Linval Joseph and Anthony Barr. To help out a new look secondary, the Vikings are going to need to do two things: make the Rams one dimensional by stopping the run, and then bring some serious heat to pressure Hill. Joseph, who is returning after getting shot in the leg after the Vikings first pre-season game, should help do the former.

Barr will help with the latter, with assistance from Everson Griffen, Brian Robison, and whatever defensive back coach Mike Zimmer dials up. Barr has looked ridiculously fast on the outside so far, and the potential that him and Griffen bring from the right side is tantalizing. Look for Hill to be under pressure early and often Sunday, and for the Vikings defense to create a few turnovers because of it.

Is it gonna be run, run, incomplete pass, punt again? Because if it is, I'm not watching.

This isn't going to be the '98 Vikings or the Greatest Show on Turf, but it isn't going to be the Greatest Shitshow On Turf anymore, either. The Vikings have the best running back in football, and a set of very good receivers that can fill every role effectively. They have a classic possession guy in Greg Jennings, a serious deep threat in Cordarrelle Patterson, and a middle of the field guy in Kyle Rudolph that can get yards in big chunks.

They also have a quarterback that will get them the ball on a consistent basis, and hopefully, once they get a lead, sustain some drives that will eat the clock and put the game away. There's also an offensive coordinator that's calling plays from a playbook that's bigger than a 3X5 card. If the Vikings offense sucks this year, it will never be good again ever and everything will suck for all time. Maybe.

This is all well and good, Mr. Homer McHomerson, but the Vikings do about as well away from their home in the North as the Stark family, remember?

Well, yeah...fair point. That really can't be argued, and if you look at the Vikings recent road record, you'll quickly understand why. Since 2010, the Vikings have gone a putrid 6-25-1 on the road in the regular season. If that's not the worst in the NFL, it's awful close, but one of those wins was in 2012, against the Rams. Does that that record or that game mean anything in particular? For the individual game, no, other than it was the the last time the Vikings won on the road, save for Houston a week later. As for the record itself, probably not, because there's been a huge roster turnover and a new coaching staff hired. That said, if the Vikings are going to go to the playoffs, or at least challenge for a spot, they need to win on the road.

If there is a road game the Vikings can win, though, it should be this one. The Rams have a backup quarterback facing a new look defense, in a venue that has in attendance fans that might tilt 40% towards the Vikings, against a coach that has waited his entire adult life for this moment. In 2009, Vikings fans seemed to own the entire lower bowl, and we made as much noise as our Rams counterparts. This is a tepid fan base that seemingly lost all hope when Sam Bradford went out, and there just isn't a lot of energy about this team amongst the faithful right now. They have a very strong defense, but this is a game the Vikings need to use to set the tone for the rest of the season.

The Vikings are going to be ready, and they should win this game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a tepid fan base that seemingly lost all hope when Sam Bradford went out, and there just isn't a lot of energy about this team amongst the faithful right now."

They must be reading over at Rams Talk, certainly not here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Vikings At Rams: Things We're Looking For
By Ted Glover@purplebuckeye on Sep 2 2014
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/9/2/6097269/vikings-at-rams-things-were-looking-for

20140828_ads_ab2_381.JPG.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

The Mike Zimmer era kicks off for real in St. Louis on Sunday. What can we expect from these new look Vikings?

There's been a lot of build up and anticipation to the 2014 edition of your Minnesota Vikings. It started the Monday after the season ended, with the firing of Leslie Frazier, and it's only built through the off season, training camp, and the pre-season. The Vikings have what appears to be a competent coaching staff, and good, young talent mixed with veteran leadership on both sides of the ball. It still remains to be seen how the season unfolds, but what should we be looking for come Sunday about noon?

Hey, Adrian Peterson is going to play:

For all the things said about pre-season meaning something--and to an extent, it does--the fact that it's ultimately meaningless was crystallized by Adrian Peterson not being on the field for a single play. Obviously, that's going to change on Sunday, and it's going to be interesting to see how the Rams defend the Vikings offense.

Minnesota looks like they have a bona fide passing game, and the Rams are going to have to defend it. Let's face it, they probably won't early, and it's going to allow Greg Jennings and/or Cordarrelle Patterson to make their mark early. Once that happens, and the Rams go into a standard seven man front, it's going to be AP time. Or, if the Rams bring a lot of pressure, expect AP to get some swing and screen passes in the flat, and make the Rams pay that way.

So, tell me about this new defense:

It's going to be a lot different than we're used to. And by 'different' what I mean is they won't sit back on their heels and look like they're trying to give away football games like clowns give away candy from a parade float anymore. In the pre-season, we saw a defense that showed a lot of different looks, brought heat from both sides and at almost every position, and was actually pretty stout against the run. And that was just the tip of iceberg.

They're going up against the ultimate journeyman quarterback in Shaun Hill, so one of two things are going to happen--Hill will be harassed and hammered the entire game, and this new look Vikings defense will produce at least three turnovers, OR...the Vikings defense will fulfill Shaun Hill's adult Make A Wish dream, and let him be Joe Montana for a day, picking apart the Vikings defense like an NFL Hall of Famer.

If this were the Vikings defense of the last several years, I would go with the 'or' scenario here, and I'd feel pretty confident in making that call. When you look at the fact that the Rams have a dearth of playmakers, a questionable offensive line, and a backup quarterback, this game really sets up well for the Vikings to make an opening statement on defense. The only way this could play into their favor more is if it was a home game. I expect a very good game from this revamped defense.

If they don't play well, we'll know that it's still smoke and mirrors, and we'll adjust our expectations accordingly. And I'll hate everything forever just because. And God help this team if they lose the game in the last minute.

God. Help. Them.

Who on defense is going to be a difference maker?

I'm going to single out two players, Linval Joseph and Anthony Barr. To help out a new look secondary, the Vikings are going to need to do two things: make the Rams one dimensional by stopping the run, and then bring some serious heat to pressure Hill. Joseph, who is returning after getting shot in the leg after the Vikings first pre-season game, should help do the former.

Barr will help with the latter, with assistance from Everson Griffen, Brian Robison, and whatever defensive back coach Mike Zimmer dials up. Barr has looked ridiculously fast on the outside so far, and the potential that him and Griffen bring from the right side is tantalizing. Look for Hill to be under pressure early and often Sunday, and for the Vikings defense to create a few turnovers because of it.

Is it gonna be run, run, incomplete pass, punt again? Because if it is, I'm not watching.

This isn't going to be the '98 Vikings or the Greatest Show on Turf, but it isn't going to be the Greatest Shitshow On Turf anymore, either. The Vikings have the best running back in football, and a set of very good receivers that can fill every role effectively. They have a classic possession guy in Greg Jennings, a serious deep threat in Cordarrelle Patterson, and a middle of the field guy in Kyle Rudolph that can get yards in big chunks.

They also have a quarterback that will get them the ball on a consistent basis, and hopefully, once they get a lead, sustain some drives that will eat the clock and put the game away. There's also an offensive coordinator that's calling plays from a playbook that's bigger than a 3X5 card. If the Vikings offense sucks this year, it will never be good again ever and everything will suck for all time. Maybe.

This is all well and good, Mr. Homer McHomerson, but the Vikings do about as well away from their home in the North as the Stark family, remember?

Well, yeah...fair point. That really can't be argued, and if you look at the Vikings recent road record, you'll quickly understand why. Since 2010, the Vikings have gone a putrid 6-25-1 on the road in the regular season. If that's not the worst in the NFL, it's awful close, but one of those wins was in 2012, against the Rams. Does that that record or that game mean anything in particular? For the individual game, no, other than it was the the last time the Vikings won on the road, save for Houston a week later. As for the record itself, probably not, because there's been a huge roster turnover and a new coaching staff hired. That said, if the Vikings are going to go to the playoffs, or at least challenge for a spot, they need to win on the road.

If there is a road game the Vikings can win, though, it should be this one. The Rams have a backup quarterback facing a new look defense, in a venue that has in attendance fans that might tilt 40% towards the Vikings, against a coach that has waited his entire adult life for this moment. In 2009, Vikings fans seemed to own the entire lower bowl, and we made as much noise as our Rams counterparts. This is a tepid fan base that seemingly lost all hope when Sam Bradford went out, and there just isn't a lot of energy about this team amongst the faithful right now. They have a very strong defense, but this is a game the Vikings need to use to set the tone for the rest of the season.

The Vikings are going to be ready, and they should win this game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a tepid fan base that seemingly lost all hope when Sam Bradford went out, and there just isn't a lot of energy about this team amongst the faithful right now."

They must be reading over at Rams Talk, certainly not here.

The author of this piece is pretty funny. I hate the Vikes but he cracked me up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams shouldn't have to be sending extra pass rushers to get pressure, but when they do the Vikings won't know where it is coming from. They should be able to keep enough people in coverage to keep the short passing in check and not get burned by it.

I do worry about the Rams inability to shed blocks though. That could hurt them against AP. Any delays and he is past the LBer fast.

I am interested to see if the Rams still have the same Achilles heal that they had much of the last few years too. The TE. They did great against the Saints but then mediocre TEs like Housler of the Cards would run free and make plays.

I think Greg Williams has seen enough of Turner over the years to know what's coming and how to defend it. It all comes down to execution.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The Rams shouldn't have to be sending extra pass rushers to get pressure, but when they do the Vikings won't know where it is coming from. They should be able to keep enough people in coverage to keep the short passing in check and not get burned by it.
Exactly. We didn't need to against the Bears and they had a very good O-line last year-much better than what the vikings will put out against us. I think the Viking fans who say their O-line can handle our D-line have absolutely NO idea just how dominate our D-line can be. There's a reason why people keep saying it's the best in the league-because it is

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Exactly. We didn't need to against the Bears and they had a very good O-line last year-much better than what the vikings will put out against us. I think the Viking fans who say their O-line can handle our D-line have absolutely NO idea just how dominate our D-line can be. There's a reason why people keep saying it's the best in the league-because it is

I just hope they come out of the gate strong and fast. It seems to take them a couple of games to really start playing up to their potential.....especially Chris Long.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome

Well...... I hate to point this out to them....... They ain't playing the "tepid" fan base........They have to deal w/ the Rams' DLine on the field. Good luck boys.......enjoy working w/ the men.;)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They are making an awful lot of assumptions not only about us, but about the up-to-now awful Matt Cassel. We are under no illusions that we can win without running, they think Cassel will go against his entire history and make us pay early. Not to mention grossly underrating our defensive line, while over rating their own. Has anyone but a Viking homer actually spoken of this "fearsome unit" before? Cause this is the first I'm hearing about them.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like how apparantly the Vikes d line will be pressuring us early and often. Like they don't even have a clue what our o line is capable of. I'll predict two sacks for them. Everson Griffen? Please.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just hope they come out of the gate strong and fast. It seems to take them a couple of games to really start playing up to their potential.....especially Chris Long.
I'm looking for a big bounce back year for long. Word had it he was nursing a thigh injury early and often last year. I think with the extra push up the middle from Donald, Long gets back over the 10 sack hump again.
That's my dude on the defense. He'll be representing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I understand why that forum uses purple but it's real hard on the eyes when it's purple in the links and thread titles. They're doing the same thing we're doing in this thread - what Rams fans are saying. Dueling fan threads. At least they were smart enough to leave out Rams Talk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The St. Louis Rams
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27589

Here are the opposing fan forums for this week:

Rams On Demand

http://www.ramsondemand.com/forums

What they're saying:

Quote:
Bring the hammer down on Matt Cassel/Bridgewater.. make them win the game... not Peterson

Quote:
They freakish suck.. Let's whip them try hards and slow down Ap.. They have no one else..

Quote:
I have a weird feeling about this game.

I think the Rams don't much going on the ground, but Shaun Hill will get 300 yards and a deep TD to Austin.

Quote:
33-14.

We should blow this team out.

Quote:
I don't like the matchup here.

Minnesota's run defense is pretty good. Livan Joseph could give us trouble in the middle against Wells. Wells has not looked great and will need guard which will delay the hole opening. I do think Saffold and/or Joseph can handle Floyd. I hope we try to open it up a little because the matchup advantage is Quick and Britt against their DB's Captain, Rhodes and Robinson. Only Rhodes is over 6". No real advantage with Cooke as he is soft and Minnys LB's can cover.

Minny has the ability to get pressure and have the personal to mix packages, but I think we can handle that. Also throwing on first down and forcing Joseph to pass rush will help us. They sub Joseph and Floyd on passing downs so passing on 1st and 10 will help subdue any pressure they can bring.

On defense, Cassel is nothing and can be rattled. But can we contain AP and if we cant it opens play action and Cassel is a good play action passer. Also play action could be deadly with Patterson on the outside.

I think we are looking at a low scoring but big plays by AP or Patterson do us in.

Minnesota 20
Rams 17

Quote:
They will scheme to nullify the Rams Pass Rush.... Lots of 2 TE sets with the obvious work load given to AP. Play action and 3 step drops.. Cassell Quick throws to TE's/WR's and a couple C. Patterson bubble Screens at least 1 WR reverse end around.

Rams better tackle AP at the first level and be ready for C.Patterson gimick plays and ST returns he's Dangerous like Tavon.. Their Defense is anyones guess cuz they have a new head coach and staff not much to game plan for outside of the obvious..

Quote:
Zimmer has installed the defense he ran in Cinn.

He brought Norv Turner on as OC so you should see a lot of Kyle Rudolph, the TE, and Patterson along with a massive dose of AP.

The OL is solid. But outside of Patterson the WRs are not that good. There is no one backing up AP. At least no one who's name you would recognize.

Defensively they are average at best. They lost Williams at DT and Allen at DE, so the DL got softer. Outside of Greenway their LBers are mediocre. And the secondary has 2nd year Xavier Rhodes and that's about it. Very good S, the kid from ND a few years ago. Cannot say his name. He is a playmaker.

Stop AP and control the ball on offense and the Rams can win. AP goes for 200 and the Rams lose going away.

--------------------------------
LET'S GO!!

I would say something about the Rams but I know nothing about them. They think Rhodes it the only DB that we have? Wait till they meet Harrison Smith. Going to be good game.
-------------------
Shaun Hill has torched us before, but I think we get the season started with a road win.

I think we are very underrated. I saw a Fantasy Football show that didn't even have our defense listed in the top 25. I know we were bad last year, but we have had major turnover (I think improvement) a new scheme, and a matchup against a backup QB and a team without a ton of skill position threats. When you have to bring in Kenny Britt your WR depth can't be very good.

Not unlike bringing in Jerome Simpson was for us a couple years ago when the cupboard was bare at WR for us. With Simpson his troubles were off the field. Britt's are both on and off the field. He has a history of drug abuse (including being arrested on a US military base with possession[not sure how that was ever resolved?]) and a reputation for slacking and giving minimal effort on the field.

I think CP will show that the rams made the wrong pick with Tavon Austin.

I think Matt Kalil will continue to struggle. The left side of our line could pose a real problem going forward this season.

I think we'll come away with 3 turnovers.
--------------------
Unfortunately, I agree with you on Kalil. If nothing else, this week could be hell for him, considering he is going to be (trying) to block Robert Quinn. We need a huge game out of Matt if we want to win.
---------------
Quinn is going to be a nightmare.
---------------
The player I am most concerned about this weekend? Aaron Donald. I see him having a big game against us if Sullivan/Johnson/Fusco are not on the same page. Don't forget about Michael Brockers either. That entire Rams' defensive line is scary as hell. If our offensive line can handle the Rams, we should be in for a hell of a season offensively on the line.
----------------
I still think we pull one out. I'm not scared of the Rams' offense and that defense didn't contain Peterson the last time we played, so I want to see them do it now before I say it's a scary matchup. Also, I like our WRs a lot more now than I did then.

I don't think this is an easy win, but I have a hard time predicting a St. Louis victory.
--------------
The Rams have one good player on their team and that's Quinn! They have some other kids on their D Line from Penn State and LSU can't remember their names but uh they can tackle!-*My know nothing about football analysis of the opposing team*

On the real it starts with stuffing Stacy and wrapping him up at the line, don't let him pound and keep our D on the field. Pressure Hill and don't let him start hot and we should have that taken care of, don't give up the big play! (Tavon Austin)

On the flip side we cannot take too many sacks, their secondary is the weak point (just becuase their front 7 is so dominant). It'll be important to use the whole field in order to spread things out early which will open the middle throughout the game.
---------------
You might be sadly mistaken if you say that Quinn is the only "good player" that the Rams have. Tavon Austin is a very dynamic player and well beyond good IMO.
---------------
Sounds like some of them have a better idea who they are facing, otherwise this looks like two fanbases who don't know a lot of specifics about the other team, other than feeling the other isn't very good and is a gimme. I guess one of us going to find out the hard way which of us is right! But I can't imagine there's much to be excited about in St. Louis anymore, other than the prospect of drafting a QB with the #1 pick in 2015!
---------------
Yeah haha I was mocking the Rams guy who said
"And the secondary has 2nd year Xavier Rhodes and that's about it. Very good S, the kid from ND a few years ago. Cannot say his name. He is a playmaker."

I don't think our defense is sure fire top 10 but to not acknowledge Captain is crazy, not being able to remember the name Harrison Smith is laughable considering their starting linebacker goes by the name of Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Obviously I think the Rams have talent outside Quinn, they're my defense in 2 of 3 fantasy keagues lol.
---------------
I actually think we lose this game. The Rams defense is highly underrated. Their Dline will have no problem containing AD, especially since our Oline is highly questionable right now. They've got some monster guys anchoring that middle and also athletic guys to get pressure. Michael Brockers is an absolute beast and should be a great DT for years.

Quinn and Long will get pressure on the outside, so it'll be tough to not go 2 TE set, especially if we want to establish Rudolph in the passing game. Kalil better bring his A game or else he's getting eaten for lunch. Their secondary is also pretty solid and I like Jenkins a lot and he'll probably be covering Jennings. I don't see us scoring many points against this defense. In fact, I think the only way we score is a big run from Peterson or Patterson taking screens and burning their defense.

Offensively, I don't fear them and I don't think they'll do much against our untested defense. But! As a Vikings, even with a different HC, I still believe our secondary will get torched. I think Hill goes over 300 yards and Kenny Britt will look like his old self vs. us (Rhodes will be on Austin I assume). Zack Stacy will be shut down, so it'll come down to their passing game vs our pass defense.

Final score: 20-13 Rams win.
-----------------
seriously people are concerned about the rams? look at the next 5 games on the schedule i would be more concerned about those. if they can't beat st. louis buckle up for another long year.
----------------
I can see both sides to this, but I wonder if we overrate the Rams. In 2012 they were supposed to be able to stop AD and didn't even get close. Since that game, I think our team has got better than theirs has with young talent. We're going to have more confidence than them that we can have a great season, and we're gonna have the element of surprise in play calling, too, because even if they know our coaches tendencies, they don't have film on our players in these schemes, so they don't know how the schemes are going to be played. I see a lot of advantages.

That said, if we do lose this game, it's going to be hard to get good very quickly...this early schedule is probably going to take some luck to survive.
------------------
Thats a lot of links for the Rams football team does the Vikings have that many running forums?

Anyway it would hurt to see Vikings lose to the Rams. I really have high expectations for the Vikings this week.
---------------
I think Rams fans are a bit short sighted. Not only do we have AP and CP, we have Rudolph, Jennings. I think they will be surprised by our team. Im not suggesting that the Vikings will win, im suggesting its not going to be as easy as they are suggesting.
---------------
You left out Griffin, who will be a beast.
icon_smile.gif
With Bradford out this should/will be the easiest game on the schedule IMO.
----------------
Seems like they have a lot more delusional fans than realistic, I don't see how any fan could predict a 40-20 blow out from a under performing team without there starting QB. I hope they expect the same old Vikings and that Zimmer and Turner can take advantage of teams excepting the same old.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand why that forum uses purple but it's real hard on the eyes when it's purple in the links and thread titles. They're doing the same thing we're doing in this thread - what Rams fans are saying. Dueling fan threads. At least they were smart enough to leave out Rams Talk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The St. Louis Rams
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27589

Here are the opposing fan forums for this week:

The Original HERD

http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/list.php?5

Clan Ram Forums

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f11/

Rams On Demand

http://www.ramsondemand.com/forums/rams-nfl-talk.26/

RealRamsFans.com

http://www.realramsfans.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=35

What they're saying:

Quote:
Bring the hammer down on Matt Cassel/Bridgewater.. make them win the game... not Peterson

Quote:
They freakish suck.. Let's whip them try hards and slow down Ap.. They have no one else..

Quote:
I have a weird feeling about this game.

I think the Rams don't much going on the ground, but Shaun Hill will get 300 yards and a deep TD to Austin.

Quote:
33-14.

We should blow this team out.

Quote:
I don't like the matchup here.

Minnesota's run defense is pretty good. Livan Joseph could give us trouble in the middle against Wells. Wells has not looked great and will need guard which will delay the hole opening. I do think Saffold and/or Joseph can handle Floyd. I hope we try to open it up a little because the matchup advantage is Quick and Britt against their DB's Captain, Rhodes and Robinson. Only Rhodes is over 6". No real advantage with Cooke as he is soft and Minnys LB's can cover.

Minny has the ability to get pressure and have the personal to mix packages, but I think we can handle that. Also throwing on first down and forcing Joseph to pass rush will help us. They sub Joseph and Floyd on passing downs so passing on 1st and 10 will help subdue any pressure they can bring.

On defense, Cassel is nothing and can be rattled. But can we contain AP and if we cant it opens play action and Cassel is a good play action passer. Also play action could be deadly with Patterson on the outside.

I think we are looking at a low scoring but big plays by AP or Patterson do us in.

Minnesota 20
Rams 17

Quote:
They will scheme to nullify the Rams Pass Rush.... Lots of 2 TE sets with the obvious work load given to AP. Play action and 3 step drops.. Cassell Quick throws to TE's/WR's and a couple C. Patterson bubble Screens at least 1 WR reverse end around.

Rams better tackle AP at the first level and be ready for C.Patterson gimick plays and ST returns he's Dangerous like Tavon.. Their Defense is anyones guess cuz they have a new head coach and staff not much to game plan for outside of the obvious..

Quote:
Zimmer has installed the defense he ran in Cinn.

He brought Norv Turner on as OC so you should see a lot of Kyle Rudolph, the TE, and Patterson along with a massive dose of AP.

The OL is solid. But outside of Patterson the WRs are not that good. There is no one backing up AP. At least no one who's name you would recognize.

Defensively they are average at best. They lost Williams at DT and Allen at DE, so the DL got softer. Outside of Greenway their LBers are mediocre. And the secondary has 2nd year Xavier Rhodes and that's about it. Very good S, the kid from ND a few years ago. Cannot say his name. He is a playmaker.

Stop AP and control the ball on offense and the Rams can win. AP goes for 200 and the Rams lose going away.

--------------------------------
LET'S GO!!

I would say something about the Rams but I know nothing about them. They think Rhodes it the only DB that we have? Wait till they meet Harrison Smith. Going to be good game.
-------------------
Shaun Hill has torched us before, but I think we get the season started with a road win.

I think we are very underrated. I saw a Fantasy Football show that didn't even have our defense listed in the top 25. I know we were bad last year, but we have had major turnover (I think improvement) a new scheme, and a matchup against a backup QB and a team without a ton of skill position threats. When you have to bring in Kenny Britt your WR depth can't be very good.

Not unlike bringing in Jerome Simpson was for us a couple years ago when the cupboard was bare at WR for us. With Simpson his troubles were off the field. Britt's are both on and off the field. He has a history of drug abuse (including being arrested on a US military base with possession[not sure how that was ever resolved?]) and a reputation for slacking and giving minimal effort on the field.

I think CP will show that the rams made the wrong pick with Tavon Austin.

I think Matt Kalil will continue to struggle. The left side of our line could pose a real problem going forward this season.

I think we'll come away with 3 turnovers.
--------------------
Unfortunately, I agree with you on Kalil. If nothing else, this week could be hell for him, considering he is going to be (trying) to block Robert Quinn. We need a huge game out of Matt if we want to win.
---------------
Quinn is going to be a nightmare.
---------------
The player I am most concerned about this weekend? Aaron Donald. I see him having a big game against us if Sullivan/Johnson/Fusco are not on the same page. Don't forget about Michael Brockers either. That entire Rams' defensive line is scary as hell. If our offensive line can handle the Rams, we should be in for a hell of a season offensively on the line.
----------------
I still think we pull one out. I'm not scared of the Rams' offense and that defense didn't contain Peterson the last time we played, so I want to see them do it now before I say it's a scary matchup. Also, I like our WRs a lot more now than I did then.

I don't think this is an easy win, but I have a hard time predicting a St. Louis victory.
--------------
The Rams have one good player on their team and that's Quinn! They have some other kids on their D Line from Penn State and LSU can't remember their names but uh they can tackle!-*My know nothing about football analysis of the opposing team*

On the real it starts with stuffing Stacy and wrapping him up at the line, don't let him pound and keep our D on the field. Pressure Hill and don't let him start hot and we should have that taken care of, don't give up the big play! (Tavon Austin)

On the flip side we cannot take too many sacks, their secondary is the weak point (just becuase their front 7 is so dominant). It'll be important to use the whole field in order to spread things out early which will open the middle throughout the game.
---------------
You might be sadly mistaken if you say that Quinn is the only "good player" that the Rams have. Tavon Austin is a very dynamic player and well beyond good IMO.
---------------
Sounds like some of them have a better idea who they are facing, otherwise this looks like two fanbases who don't know a lot of specifics about the other team, other than feeling the other isn't very good and is a gimme. I guess one of us going to find out the hard way which of us is right! But I can't imagine there's much to be excited about in St. Louis anymore, other than the prospect of drafting a QB with the #1 pick in 2015!
---------------
Yeah haha I was mocking the Rams guy who said
"And the secondary has 2nd year Xavier Rhodes and that's about it. Very good S, the kid from ND a few years ago. Cannot say his name. He is a playmaker."

I don't think our defense is sure fire top 10 but to not acknowledge Captain is crazy, not being able to remember the name Harrison Smith is laughable considering their starting linebacker goes by the name of Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Obviously I think the Rams have talent outside Quinn, they're my defense in 2 of 3 fantasy keagues lol.
---------------
I actually think we lose this game. The Rams defense is highly underrated. Their Dline will have no problem containing AD, especially since our Oline is highly questionable right now. They've got some monster guys anchoring that middle and also athletic guys to get pressure. Michael Brockers is an absolute beast and should be a great DT for years.

Quinn and Long will get pressure on the outside, so it'll be tough to not go 2 TE set, especially if we want to establish Rudolph in the passing game. Kalil better bring his A game or else he's getting eaten for lunch. Their secondary is also pretty solid and I like Jenkins a lot and he'll probably be covering Jennings. I don't see us scoring many points against this defense. In fact, I think the only way we score is a big run from Peterson or Patterson taking screens and burning their defense.

Offensively, I don't fear them and I don't think they'll do much against our untested defense. But! As a Vikings, even with a different HC, I still believe our secondary will get torched. I think Hill goes over 300 yards and Kenny Britt will look like his old self vs. us (Rhodes will be on Austin I assume). Zack Stacy will be shut down, so it'll come down to their passing game vs our pass defense.

Final score: 20-13 Rams win.
-----------------
seriously people are concerned about the rams? look at the next 5 games on the schedule i would be more concerned about those. if they can't beat st. louis buckle up for another long year.
----------------
I can see both sides to this, but I wonder if we overrate the Rams. In 2012 they were supposed to be able to stop AD and didn't even get close. Since that game, I think our team has got better than theirs has with young talent. We're going to have more confidence than them that we can have a great season, and we're gonna have the element of surprise in play calling, too, because even if they know our coaches tendencies, they don't have film on our players in these schemes, so they don't know how the schemes are going to be played. I see a lot of advantages.

That said, if we do lose this game, it's going to be hard to get good very quickly...this early schedule is probably going to take some luck to survive.
------------------
Thats a lot of links for the Rams football team does the Vikings have that many running forums?

Anyway it would hurt to see Vikings lose to the Rams. I really have high expectations for the Vikings this week.
---------------
I think Rams fans are a bit short sighted. Not only do we have AP and CP, we have Rudolph, Jennings. I think they will be surprised by our team. Im not suggesting that the Vikings will win, im suggesting its not going to be as easy as they are suggesting.
---------------
You left out Griffin, who will be a beast.
icon_smile.gif
With Bradford out this should/will be the easiest game on the schedule IMO.
----------------
Seems like they have a lot more delusional fans than realistic, I don't see how any fan could predict a 40-20 blow out from a under performing team without there starting QB. I hope they expect the same old Vikings and that Zimmer and Turner can take advantage of teams excepting the same old.

Its always funny to me seeing how similar all fans are. Everyone's team is better than people think and other teams fans are delusional :ROFLMAO:.