What Vikings Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/17/mike-remmers-out-again-this-week-with-concussion/

Mike Remmers and safety Andrew Sendejo out again this week
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 17, 2017

Vikings right tackle Mike Remmers and safety Andrew Sendejo have been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Rams.

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Remmers had practiced on a limited basis Wedensday and Thursday after suffering a concussion, but Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he had a setback and would not play this week.

This will be Remmers’ second straight week out, and he’ll be replaced in the starting lineup by Rashod Hill.

Sendejo missed practice all week because of groin and hamstring problems.

Defensive end Brian Robison (back) did not practice Friday, and defensive end Everson Griffen (foot) was limited, and both have been ruled questionable.
----------
I’m glad our injuries are starting to pile up so we can blame our late season collapse on them. You know like we do every season!
----------
Vikings by 16
-----------
Against the top scoring team in the league who also happens to have the #3 scoring defense? Good luck on that prediction, homer.

nighttrain

Legend
Vikings by 16
-----------
Against the top scoring team in the league who also happens to have the #3 scoring defense? Good luck on that prediction, homer.:giggle::LOL::ROFLMAO::D:argue:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-week-11-spread-picks

NFL Week 11 Spread Picks
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM

LOS ANGELES RAMS AT MINNESOTA VIKINGS (-2.5)
Pick: Vikings 23-20 (Vikings cover)

Point (EE): While the Rams are one of the season’s best stories, if you would have told me that the Vikings would be 7-2 after nine games, having started Case Keenum for seven of those games, I would have called you crazy. With the league’s best receiving corps, the Vikings will have a decided edge when they throw the ball.

Like the Saints, the Rams’ schedule has afforded them an opportunity to put up some nice numbers defensively, despite poor play from their franchise player Trumaine Johnson. Johnson has given up the seventh-most yards per coverage snap among cornerbacks through ten weeks (1.59), despite playing on a defense that includes Aaron Donald; who is first among his position group in pass-rushing productivity (16.2, and it’s not close).

If the Vikings can keep Keenum clean (where he’s got a passer rating of 103.4), the combination of a solid passing game and a devastating defense can certainly get the Vikings over this short number at home and move them to 8-2.

Counterpoint (GC): On a dark desert highway, cool wind in his hair, warm smell of colitas rising up through the air, Sean the Shimmering Light McVay has opened the doors and welcomed Jared Goff and the Rams into his hotel of play action bliss.

Goff is averaging a league leading 12.1 yards per attempt off of play action, and has had the benefit of playing behind a line that has given up only eight sacks this season (sixth-best) after dropping back into the ocean on every pass play of 2016 while his line allowed the most sacks in the NFL (30).

On the other side of the ball, Donald has a 97.0 pass-rush grade while the next best interior defender comes in at 89.6, that’s bigger than the difference between second and 13th, this is analytics that should be behind a pay wall and you are getting it for free. AD will be looking to put Cold Case six-feet under pressure and remind him that he can check out anytime he likes, but, he can never leave.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/11/1...w-great-matchups-and-a-bunch-for-the-gamblers

Podcast

The guys preview Week 11, including why we need to admit that Rams vs. Vikings is the best matchup of the season so far (starts at 13:15)

A55VA6

Legend
Seems like not many people believe in us. Now's the time to show everyone what we're about.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I wonder if the stats in the first post were before or after the Rams played those teams. That would make a difference in their stats if a team got walloped by a large amount of points.
**************************************************************************************
https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Board/102855/Contents/Why-the-Rams-offense-is-overrated-110578249

Why the Rams offense is overrated

The Rams lead the league in scoring, but take a look at the defenses the Rams have played.

1. Indianapolis which ranks worst in the league in points allowed.

2. San Francisco which ranks 2nd worst in the league in points allowed.

3. Houston, which ranks 3rd worst in the league in points allowed.

4. New York Giants, which ranks 6th worst in the league in points allowed.

4. Washington, which ranks 7th worst in the league in points allowed.

5. Arizona, which ranks 9th worst in the league in points allowed.

6. Dallas, which is 17th worst in the league in points allowed.

7. Seattle, which is 4th best in points allowed, but the Rams only scored 10 against the Seahawks and lost.

8. Jacksonville, which is best in points allowed. The Rams scored 27 against the Jaguar, but one touchdown was on a blocked punt and another on kickoff return. The offense was responsible for only 13 points and managed only 249 yards against the Jaguar defense.
-----------
Any way you look at this they've been among the best so far.

Colts average 28 points, Rams scored 46 against them.
49ers average 26 points, Rams scored 41 against them.
Houston averages 26.8 points, Rams scored 33 against them.
Giants average 26.4 points, Rams scored 51 against them.
Cowboys average 22 points, Rams scored 35 against them.
Cardinals average 24.8 points, Rams scored 33 against them.

You get the idea. If you'd look at how much those defenses average while excluding their respective hammering by the Rams, it gets even more obvious.
-----------
The Vikes are gonna need to score a bit in this next game if we want to have a chance. Let's hope the D brings their A game.
----------
The Rams have a very good offense regardless of who they've played. The Vikings defense better be ready. I'm actually hoping the Vikings defense is a little embarrassed at their poor showing in DC last week. Maybe they'll come out with a little something to prove against the Rams.
-----------
Jeff Fisher is sitting at home wondering why this offense, with almost all the same players, is 1000x more potent now that he's not coaching them.
----------
The Rams offense:
1. Defense/ST gets a lot of good returns and turnovers - meaning short fields.
2. Have a potent running game with Gurley and a great screen game.
3. Goff hits those long passes with his Cannon arm to their good group of receivers.

On defense:
1. Create a lot of turnovers, especially ints.
2. They look susceptible to the running game.
3. Create a lot of pressure with their defensive line.

They are a tough team. It'll be our fourth big test this year - Steelers, Lions and Redskins being the other three.
----------
Thank you! Against the Cardinals, Giants, and Colts, and who know in their other games, the Rams pulled their starters at either the start of or during the fourth quarter and did nothing more than run the clock out via the run the rest of the way.

They could have really poured it on had McVay decided to. There are many other teams that played those same teams and how many points did they score against them? Overrated my @ss and anyone who thinks so doesn't know a thing about football. Wishful thinking, I guess.
----------
The Rams have not played as well vs solid D's, but our team has built its resume off the weak spot of our schedule also...Both teams have beaten a lot of bad teams...
----------
I think what gives us a good chance is that we are normally good against the run and we sniff out the screen game really well. Plus, we will put some good hits on Goff.

This is a game we will have a hard time winning if we can't establish a running game early. If we have to be a one dimensional passing offense, I think we will lose this game.

And yes, turnovers. Rams are +9 for the season and we are +1, IIRC.
---------
I think the pertinent stat would be how much Rams score by quarter

1st quarter 6.3 (3rd in the league)
2nd quarter 12.6 (2nd in the league)
3rd quarter 9.1 (1st in the league)
4th quarter 4.9 (24th in the league)
-----------
Looks like we wake up the 2nd quarter, too LOL

Vikings
1st quarter 2.6 (25th in the league)
2nd quarter 10.0 (3rd in the league)
3rd quarter 7.0 (4th in the league)
4th quarter 4.6 (25th in the league)

Our stats of course above have nothing to do with the Rams.
----------
Not sure the point being made here was that the Rams are a bad team, but that they have had an easier schedule up to this point than most of the league. Stats can be used to say about anything, so lets just say the only common factor is that each team played the Redskins. The Redskins beat the Rams in their house and we beat the Redskins in their home.

A look at their wins indicated that they win against the teams they were suppose to beat, and some are really bad teams right now. Seattle is a good team but is not balanced. Their offensive line is one of the worst in the league and they still won. Jacksonville has had some great moments, but they basically beat themselves giving up 2 ST TDs. This game in no way will be easy, but surely is winnable especially playing at home.
----------
What's our defensive stats by quarter I wonder? We're the kings of giving up garbage points/yards this year.
-----------
1st quarter 3.8 (13th)
2nd quarter 4.4 (4th)
3rd quarter 5.6 (22nd)
4th quarter 4.6 (8th)
----------
I have said this before and I will say it again. The NFL has such parity that the difference between defense number 1 and defense number 25 is small. The Rams have been blowing everyone out. They are not a fluke. It is imperative we start fast and make no mistakes or we may very well be on the receiving end of an ass whooping.
----------
They didn't blow Seattle out. 10 points.
They didn't blow the Jaguars out. 13 points. (The other 14 points came on a kick return touchdown and a blocked punt touchdown.) 249 total yards of offense is not a blowout.

Seattle and Jacksonville are the only decent defenses the Rams have faced.
---------
They still won going away on the road. That is probably the most impressive of what they have done. We also have beat them the past 3 times we played them. Not the same rams team of course.
---------
Difference is 25th defenses usually give up their yards and points in first 3 quarters and then other team takes air out of the ball in 4th...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man these Vikings fans are putting in a lot of work to convince themselves we're not that good.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Vegas has moved off that 2 1/2 dropping Vikes to 2 point favorites. Might have moved off due to Remmers and Sendejo not starting. Harris, who is going to sub for Sendejo, also has a sore hammy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes their defense is good and yes keenum has been playing well BUT it is still keenum lol

The Rams defense will be all over him and he doesn' have the arm strengh to throw over them .
I think Case is mostly worried about What he's going to see from Brockers and Donald! And rightfully so!!(y);):mrburnsevil:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/11/17/16668104/vikings-vs-rams-keys-to-beating-the-rams

Vikings vs. Rams: Keys to beating the Rams
by wludford

usa_today_9713865.0.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams coming to take on the Vikings at US Bank stadium may be the game of the week, as both teams are 7-2, leading their division, and have been rolling off the victories over the last month. It is a game with playoff implications, among two teams that are leading contenders for the post-season NFC playoff tournament.

Looking at some of the Rams previous games this year, particularly the game against Seattle and the most recent game against the Texans, there were a few things that stood out in both games that are key for the Vikings to come away with a win on Sunday.

STOP TODD GURLEY
One thing I noticed in the Rams games I watched, is that when Todd Gurley is held in check, the Rams offense tends to stall. They can still come up with big plays to other players on occasion, but without Todd Gurley making plays, the Rams offense is missing a key cog in their offensive machinery which really helps the whole thing work. Stopping Gurley means not only stopping him as a runner, but also a receiver- where he may be more productive coming out of the backfield.

Fortunately, the Vikings are #3 in the league in run defense, and really haven’t given up a dominant run performance to an opposing running back this season. The Rams are ranked 5th in rushing offense, so this will be one of the key strength-on-strength match-ups in the game.

MAKE GOFF BEAT YOU
Taking away Gurley, and putting more of the load on 2nd-year QB Jared Goff, could be the way to go for the Vikings defense. The other thing I noticed about Goff in the games I watched, is he throws some turnover-worthy passes with some regularity. He likes to go for the deep pass, and is near the bottom of the league in time to throw. This should give the Vikings pass rush some opportunity to get to Goff.

But even when Goff gets his passes off, he’s not the most accurate passer, and he’ll occasionally put up some wobblers or throw into good coverage. I also noticed a more than average number of balls tipped or bobbled by receivers that had potential for a turnover as well. Goff has only 4 interceptions on the season, but the Rams were fortunate in the games I watched that Goff didn’t give up more interceptions during the course of the game.

As I mentioned, Goff likes the deep ball, so it will be important for the Vikings secondary to limit those catches, which they have done for the most part this season. It’s not often a receiver gets behind the Vikings secondary for a long TD, like Robert Woods did last week against the Texans (on a play Rams RT Rob Havenstein should have been called for holding Jadeveon Clowney). The Vikings play a 2-deep safety shell often, and when they have given up big pass plays down the field they’re usually at the boundary, where Goff hasn’t been as effective.

Goff is also near the bottom of the league in adjusted completion percentage (completions/attempts, excluding throw-aways, batted balls, etc.), in part perhaps due to having a deeper mix of passing attempts, but also just not being as accurate delivering the ball at times. He can throw some darts to be sure, but he also can make some off-balanced wobblers and overthrows too.

Goff has been very effective against the blitz, so I would be surprised if coach Zimmer brought the blitz much against him, although sending a linebacker on occasion up the A-gap could be effective. But the better way to go may be to be to rush four and play coverage most often.

Watching RT Rob Havenstein against Jadeveon Clowney last week was also kind of a preview of Havenstein against Danielle Hunter, who shares Clowney’s athleticism and some of his moves. I could imagine Hunter having a more productive game against Havenstein, but we’ll have to see how it plays out.

But the bottom line in stopping the very productive Rams offense is first to minimize Todd Gurley, while limiting Goff’s deep ball.

Minimizing Gurley should help create some third-and-not-so-manageable situations for the Rams offense, which is best in the league in converting on third down. The Vikings defense is 2nd best in the league in preventing third down conversions, so this is another key clash of the titans situations. Playing on the road in the din of US Bank stadium on 3rd down should add a degree of difficulty for Goff, as will the Vikings style of defense.

One of the key characteristics of the Vikings defense is doing many things out of the same look pre-snap, which effectively takes away pre-snap reads from opposing quarterbacks. There is a report out there (behind a pay wall) that the Vikings believe Goff is getting help from the sideline in reading defenses, so don’t be surprised if the Vikings are especially careful not to reveal much pre-snap until after the play clock reaches 15 seconds, when the helmet communication with the QB must be turned off.

That will leave more for the 2nd year quarterback to process on his own and after the snap, and could lead to him holding the ball a little longer, or perhaps some misreads, both of which could turn into big plays for the Vikings defense.

Additionally, working to minimize the Rams’ big plays on offense will make them work to extend drives and score in the red zone, which oddly for the top point-scoring offense, is not something they do particularly well. In fact, the Rams are only ranked 22nd in the league in converting TDs in the red zone, at 51.22%. The Vikings are 3rd best in the league on defense in denying TDs in the red zone (allowing only a 41.67% conversion rate), so the red zone is a situation that favors the Vikings defense.

In any case, the fact that the Rams are not that good in the red zone, but yet have the top scoring offense in the league, shows how much their offense depends upon big plays and turnovers for it’s success so far this year.

2017_11_17__1_.png

2017_11_17_LI.jpg

WR/CB Matchups/Pro Football Focus

KEENUM’S MOBILITY COULD HELP OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION
Another take-away from the Rams’ games I watched was what a difference a more mobile quarterback had against the Rams’ pass rush. Last week Tom Savage, who isn’t particularly mobile, had much more difficulty under pressure than Russell Wilson, who is known for his scrambling ability. But simply being able to escape the pocket on occasion, or using designed rollouts, may help Keenum to extend plays - something he has been doing pretty well since taking over the starting job.

Being able to extend plays should help the Vikings offense to produce some big plays of its own, using favorable match-ups against the Rams cornerbacks, particularly Adam Thielen against 5’8”, 180 pound Nickell Robey-Coleman and Stefon Diggs against Trumaine Johnson. The Vikings have matched the Rams in terms of big plays in their passing game this season, but lag a little in big running plays.

A BALANCED ATTACK AND VARIED PACE MAY HELP TOO
The Vikings also need to establish a credible run game to make play-action effective, and keep the Rams’ stout front seven off-balanced. It will be interesting to see which back the Vikings use the most against the Rams- it really seems to vary week-to-week whether Latavius Murray or Jerick McKinnon gets more carries or has more success running the ball.

I get the sense that Sunday may be McKinnon’s day, even though Murray has had more success most recently, in part because McKinnon’s quickness and elusiveness may be more effective against a Rams defense that won’t be overpowered by Murray. We’ll see.

The Rams under Wade Phillips won’t be shy in bringing pressure and blitz packages against the Vikings on Sunday, which will require effective blocking from both Murray and McKinnon. McKinnon has been doing a better job than Murray in that respect this year, and is also more effective in running screens- something Pat Shurmur dials up to counter blitzing defenses.

Another tactic Shurmur may use Sunday is the hurry-up offense, which can also help to keep the Rams defense off-balanced, and Wade Phillips from dialing up his full arsenal on a given play or series.

TURNOVERS
The last key to beating the Rams is to not give the ball away. The Rams are #1 in the league in generating turnovers, averaging just over two per game. It’s not just Keenum needing to take care of the ball, but also running backs Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray.

Both backs have fumbled on runs up the middle, where guys are trying to take the ball away in the scrum, which the Rams do as well. Hopefully there was attention paid to taking care of the ball in those situations in practice this week.

INJURIES
So far it looks like the Vikings could possibly be without Andrew Sendejo, as he hasn’t practiced this week with a groin injury, not including today (Friday). Backup Anthony Harris has also been limited this week in practice.

My guess is if neither can go then Terence Newman will play safety, and MacKensie Alexander will take over in the slot against Cooper Kupp, or possibly Jayron Kearse is called upon to play safety and Newman stays in the slot.

Other than that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Remmers is back on Sunday- he has been limited in practice with a concussion, and Everson Griffen has said he will play as well.

Update: Sendejo and Remmers have been ruled out for the Rams game, and will be replaced by Anthony Harris and Rashod Hill.

The Rams have a long list of guys limited or not practicing this week. Starting center and former Viking John Sullivan, along with LB Mark Barron, have apparently taken not one but two veteran days off so far, and Andrew Whitworth took one, and was limited yesterday, suggesting all three are fairly beat up. Conor Barwin hasn’t practiced so far this week, and looks like he may be replaced by Robert Quinn, who was also on the injury list, but was a full participant yesterday.

But perhaps the biggest potential loss for the Rams may be their top safety Lamarcus Joyner, who hasn’t practiced this week with a hip issue. We’ll see what happens.

BOTTOM LINE
The Rams have feasted on big plays and turnovers to fuel their top scoring offense, averaging 32.9 points per game. The Vikings have both the secondary and run defense to slow down the Rams passing game and Todd Gurley. But they must also take care of the ball and force Jared Goff and company to sustain drives against a Vikings defense near the top of the league in denying 3rd down conversions and red zone TDs.

On the other side of the ball, the Vikings need a strong performance from the offensive line, going up against an attacking Rams front seven full of talent, particularly on the interior line. If the offensive line can hold it’s own, Keenum will have opportunities down field to connect with Thielen and Diggs to generate big plays.

A big game by Jerick McKinnon could also be instrumental in coming away with a Vikings win on Sunday. A quick look through the Rams defensive starters on PFF suggests that outside of the stout interior line, the Rams defense is not as strong against the run, particularly if Lamarcus Joyner is out, which could lead to some big runs if the Rams interior line can be avoided or contained.

It will be an interesting play-calling battle between Wade Phillips and Pat Shurmur as well.

Overall I like the Vikings on Sunday, as I wouldn’t be surprised if Goff and company have an off-game on the road against a defense that matches up well, and an offense that has been increasingly productive.

Making the Rams work on offense- and not giving up big plays and turnovers, should work to the Vikings advantage, while playing the Rams tough up front should yield some big plays down the field on occasion for the Vikings to come away with a win.
------------
Reffing: Rams at Vikings — Walt Anderson

I always like to know this since it seems like flags can be a major contributor to pace of game. Walt's crew throws more flags than the average crew and does not favor home teams.

We need to be turnover free and frustrate them.
---------
Case vs Goff is going to be fun.
Goff’s numbers vs Seattle look like what I expect 22/47 288YDS 0TD 2INT

Shutting Gurley down is part of what Vikings are built to do.
---------
giphy.gif

---------
keys to winning
The D will have to play better than last week. They need to stop the run, like you said. They need to BULL rush Sully a lot.

The O need to control the clock with long drives and runs. Keep their O off the field and not get in tune.

Waynes needs to have his best game. As already mentioned no turnovers by air or by running.
---------
Sullivan sounds like he’s beat up and facing Linval, who’s more than ready for this matchup it sounds, so it could be a tough game for Sully.

Waynes on Robert Woods will be key. Rhodes can shut down Watkins, and I think Newman/Alexander will do a good job on Kupp. But we’ll need to see Waynes continue to show his improvement on Woods, who is Goff’s favorite target downfield, to take away the Rams big plays on offense. Will also need Waynes’ good run defense too.

I don’t see as such a big factor compared to stopping the Rams big plays and not turning over the ball.
----------
The Rams are the #1 team in making Offensive big plays
The Vikings are #1 team in preventing Big plays by offenses. Something has to give this Sunday. Rams are a very good play action team. This is going to be a good barometer for both teams, on how good they are.
---------
I say blitz the daylights out of Goff.
Make him pull himself up off the turf after every single pass attempt.
----------
He's been very good against the blitz though
120.6 passer rating against the blitz – 2nd best in the league.
----------
Good thing our "blitz" is usually more like a 5 man rush and not typically all out like Houston did and got burned!
I think Goff relies heavily on McVay and hopefully Zimmer does his best to turn that against them.
---------
I think the Vikes D-line has a chance to really get to him quickly and just a single man on the blitz could really wreak havoc. The only good D they’ve beaten is Jacksonville. I think that tape would give Zim some pretty good ideas on what will work and what won’t. Seattle and Washington held them pretty much in check.

I will say that performance against the Jags D was pretty impressive but it’s hard for me to believe that’s the norm for them.

Either way I think this is going to be a brutal game.
---------
Coming away with the win will require:

1) Five man rushes. Our secondary is injured, and we can’t give Goff time to throw the deep ball.

2) Good LB play to limit Gurley’s runs.

3) Taking care of the ball.

Do that, we win.
-----------
Sendejo is getting banged up pretty often...
sounds like Harris is a bit banged up to, could finally see Kearse in there. Could be good since their main weapon was with Mac and Javon at Clemson. I thought we would see Kearse at some point this year but just didn’t think Sendejo would show his age so fast, just when he got hot too at stopping the pass!
----------
Reminds me of growing up almost half a century ago when the Los Angeles Rams came to down for the game of the year, regular season and post-season. Love their old uni’s. The NFL’s only two teams with horns on their heads clash. One game was supposed to be battle of two best defenses, and the final was, like, 45-41 Vikes in LA. Anticipation mounts!!!
-----------
bye bye Fischer hello good Rams

Hope my Vikings win Sunday, but I am glad that the Rams got rid of Fischer. That guy and the rest of his thugs should of been out of the NFL a long time ago.
----------
In 1973 the Los Angeles Rams were the best offense or at least one of the best going into a week 7 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, players like John Hadl and Lawrence McCuthreon and Harold Jackson were torching opponents with Big plays.

They went into Minnesota 6-0 to play the 6-0 Vikings the game was the battle of the unbeaten’s, the Viking defense was one of the best in the league and there offense was led by Fran Tarkenton with John Gilliam as his main weapon along with RB’S Chuck Foreman and Oscar Reed.

It was a Defensive battle as the Vikings held the potent Ram offense to 3 FG’S the Vikings scored the only TD, WINNING a 10 to 9 battle.

The Vikings went on to win due to shutting down the Ram offense, i believe this will happen again on Sunday

socalrams90

Starter
Holy fuck they’re reaching on stats to justify how much we suck. Wonder what they’re going to say after losing to a sucky team Sunday. This week has gone by so sloooow

socalrams90

Starter
And the reason we’re a low scoring team in the 4th quarter is because we usually blow people out by then and are killing clock with our backups.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In any case, the fact that the Rams are not that good in the red zone, but yet have the top scoring offense in the league, shows how much their offense depends upon big plays and turnovers for it’s success so far this year.

It's always fun to see how the box-score experts seem to know very little when asked to analyze the data. The Rams having the top scoring offense in the NFL despite being below average in converting red zone appearances to TDs is because we are NUMBER 1 in red zone appearances. Source:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-attempts-per-game

When you consider that almost all of our red zone appearances end in TDs (just over 50% of the time) or FGs, it's not difficult to figure out why we're one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL. It's not turnovers or big plays. It's our ability to consistently get in the red zone. Remove your head from your ass, and you'll see that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell you, man, it can be difficult discussing the game with Vikings fans. I tried discussing it with them today, and it went about as well as was expected. The defining moment for me was when a Vikings fan said he didn't believe in the Rams because 1) he doesn't trust our QB, 2) he thinks we've played a weak schedule, and 3) we've played a weak group of QBs.

Of course, I was kind enough to point out to him that every single one of those critiques applies to the Vikings to date. However, there's something that stood out to me when evaluating Minnesota. Here are Case Keenum's numbers against teams with a winning record (not counting the Packers because Brett Hundley played almost that entire game):
2 games (Pittsburgh and Detroit)
36/67
53.7%
386 passing yards
5.8 YPA
0 TDs
0 Ints
70.9 Passer Rating
8.0 PPG

That's right. They've averaged 8 points per game in those games. Those numbers look awful familiar to us Rams fans. The only noteworthy win the Vikings have this year is over the Saints, but that was before the Saints started playing well and with Sam Bradford (who had a stellar game).

Now, the Vikings are absolutely a good team. They're an equally-matched team to us. However, their fans are very blind to their own faults because they cite those faults in their criticisms of us (while seemingly not recognizing that it is also applicable to them). Why do I believe we will win on Sunday (I'm not predicting a blowout, though)? Because I trust Jared Goff. We have the better QB. I do not trust Case Keenum to get the job done against a quality team and a quality defense. I think if the pressure is on late, Keenum will melt down like he did so many times for us.

Last edited:

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/11/17/16668104/vikings-vs-rams-keys-to-beating-the-rams

Vikings vs. Rams: Keys to beating the Rams
by wludford

usa_today_9713865.0.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams coming to take on the Vikings at US Bank stadium may be the game of the week, as both teams are 7-2, leading their division, and have been rolling off the victories over the last month. It is a game with playoff implications, among two teams that are leading contenders for the post-season NFC playoff tournament.

Looking at some of the Rams previous games this year, particularly the game against Seattle and the most recent game against the Texans, there were a few things that stood out in both games that are key for the Vikings to come away with a win on Sunday.

STOP TODD GURLEY
One thing I noticed in the Rams games I watched, is that when Todd Gurley is held in check, the Rams offense tends to stall. They can still come up with big plays to other players on occasion, but without Todd Gurley making plays, the Rams offense is missing a key cog in their offensive machinery which really helps the whole thing work. Stopping Gurley means not only stopping him as a runner, but also a receiver- where he may be more productive coming out of the backfield.

Fortunately, the Vikings are #3 in the league in run defense, and really haven’t given up a dominant run performance to an opposing running back this season. The Rams are ranked 5th in rushing offense, so this will be one of the key strength-on-strength match-ups in the game.

MAKE GOFF BEAT YOU
Taking away Gurley, and putting more of the load on 2nd-year QB Jared Goff, could be the way to go for the Vikings defense. The other thing I noticed about Goff in the games I watched, is he throws some turnover-worthy passes with some regularity. He likes to go for the deep pass, and is near the bottom of the league in time to throw. This should give the Vikings pass rush some opportunity to get to Goff.

But even when Goff gets his passes off, he’s not the most accurate passer, and he’ll occasionally put up some wobblers or throw into good coverage. I also noticed a more than average number of balls tipped or bobbled by receivers that had potential for a turnover as well. Goff has only 4 interceptions on the season, but the Rams were fortunate in the games I watched that Goff didn’t give up more interceptions during the course of the game.

As I mentioned, Goff likes the deep ball, so it will be important for the Vikings secondary to limit those catches, which they have done for the most part this season. It’s not often a receiver gets behind the Vikings secondary for a long TD, like Robert Woods did last week against the Texans (on a play Rams RT Rob Havenstein should have been called for holding Jadeveon Clowney). The Vikings play a 2-deep safety shell often, and when they have given up big pass plays down the field they’re usually at the boundary, where Goff hasn’t been as effective.

Goff is also near the bottom of the league in adjusted completion percentage (completions/attempts, excluding throw-aways, batted balls, etc.), in part perhaps due to having a deeper mix of passing attempts, but also just not being as accurate delivering the ball at times. He can throw some darts to be sure, but he also can make some off-balanced wobblers and overthrows too.

Goff has been very effective against the blitz, so I would be surprised if coach Zimmer brought the blitz much against him, although sending a linebacker on occasion up the A-gap could be effective. But the better way to go may be to be to rush four and play coverage most often.

Watching RT Rob Havenstein against Jadeveon Clowney last week was also kind of a preview of Havenstein against Danielle Hunter, who shares Clowney’s athleticism and some of his moves. I could imagine Hunter having a more productive game against Havenstein, but we’ll have to see how it plays out.

But the bottom line in stopping the very productive Rams offense is first to minimize Todd Gurley, while limiting Goff’s deep ball.

Minimizing Gurley should help create some third-and-not-so-manageable situations for the Rams offense, which is best in the league in converting on third down. The Vikings defense is 2nd best in the league in preventing third down conversions, so this is another key clash of the titans situations. Playing on the road in the din of US Bank stadium on 3rd down should add a degree of difficulty for Goff, as will the Vikings style of defense.

One of the key characteristics of the Vikings defense is doing many things out of the same look pre-snap, which effectively takes away pre-snap reads from opposing quarterbacks. There is a report out there (behind a pay wall) that the Vikings believe Goff is getting help from the sideline in reading defenses, so don’t be surprised if the Vikings are especially careful not to reveal much pre-snap until after the play clock reaches 15 seconds, when the helmet communication with the QB must be turned off.

That will leave more for the 2nd year quarterback to process on his own and after the snap, and could lead to him holding the ball a little longer, or perhaps some misreads, both of which could turn into big plays for the Vikings defense.

Additionally, working to minimize the Rams’ big plays on offense will make them work to extend drives and score in the red zone, which oddly for the top point-scoring offense, is not something they do particularly well. In fact, the Rams are only ranked 22nd in the league in converting TDs in the red zone, at 51.22%. The Vikings are 3rd best in the league on defense in denying TDs in the red zone (allowing only a 41.67% conversion rate), so the red zone is a situation that favors the Vikings defense.

2017_11_17__1_.png

2017_11_17_LI.jpg

WR/CB Matchups/Pro Football Focus

KEENUM’S MOBILITY COULD HELP OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION
Another take-away from the Rams’ games I watched was what a difference a more mobile quarterback had against the Rams’ pass rush. Last week Tom Savage, who isn’t particularly mobile, had much more difficulty under pressure than Russell Wilson, who is known for his scrambling ability. But simply being able to escape the pocket on occasion, or using designed rollouts, may help Keenum to extend plays - something he has been doing pretty well since taking over the starting job.

Being able to extend plays should help the Vikings offense to produce some big plays of its own, using favorable match-ups against the Rams cornerbacks, particularly Adam Thielen against 5’8”, 180 pound Nickell Robey-Coleman and Stefon Diggs against Trumaine Johnson. The Vikings have matched the Rams in terms of big plays in their passing game this season, but lag a little in big running plays.

A BALANCED ATTACK AND VARIED PACE MAY HELP TOO
The Vikings also need to establish a credible run game to make play-action effective, and keep the Rams’ stout front seven off-balanced. It will be interesting to see which back the Vikings use the most against the Rams- it really seems to vary week-to-week whether Latavius Murray or Jerick McKinnon gets more carries or has more success running the ball.

I get the sense that Sunday may be McKinnon’s day, even though Murray has had more success most recently, in part because McKinnon’s quickness and elusiveness may be more effective against a Rams defense that won’t be overpowered by Murray. We’ll see.

The Rams under Wade Phillips won’t be shy in bringing pressure and blitz packages against the Vikings on Sunday, which will require effective blocking from both Murray and McKinnon. McKinnon has been doing a better job than Murray in that respect this year, and is also more effective in running screens- something Pat Shurmur dials up to counter blitzing defenses.

Another tactic Shurmur may use Sunday is the hurry-up offense, which can also help to keep the Rams defense off-balanced, and Wade Phillips from dialing up his full arsenal on a given play or series.

TURNOVERS
The last key to beating the Rams is to not give the ball away. The Rams are #1 in the league in generating turnovers, averaging just over two per game. It’s not just Keenum needing to take care of the ball, but also running backs Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray.

Both backs have fumbled on runs up the middle, where guys are trying to take the ball away in the scrum, which the Rams do as well. Hopefully there was attention paid to taking care of the ball in those situations in practice this week.

INJURIES
So far it looks like the Vikings could possibly be without Andrew Sendejo, as he hasn’t practiced this week with a groin injury, not including today (Friday). Backup Anthony Harris has also been limited this week in practice.

My guess is if neither can go then Terence Newman will play safety, and MacKensie Alexander will take over in the slot against Cooper Kupp, or possibly Jayron Kearse is called upon to play safety and Newman stays in the slot.

Other than that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Remmers is back on Sunday- he has been limited in practice with a concussion, and Everson Griffen has said he will play as well.

Update: Sendejo and Remmers have been ruled out for the Rams game, and will be replaced by Anthony Harris and Rashod Hill.

The Rams have a long list of guys limited or not practicing this week. Starting center and former Viking John Sullivan, along with LB Mark Barron, have apparently taken not one but two veteran days off so far, and Andrew Whitworth took one, and was limited yesterday, suggesting all three are fairly beat up. Conor Barwin hasn’t practiced so far this week, and looks like he may be replaced by Robert Quinn, who was also on the injury list, but was a full participant yesterday.

But perhaps the biggest potential loss for the Rams may be their top safety Lamarcus Joyner, who hasn’t practiced this week with a hip issue. We’ll see what happens.

BOTTOM LINE
The Rams have feasted on big plays and turnovers to fuel their top scoring offense, averaging 32.9 points per game. The Vikings have both the secondary and run defense to slow down the Rams passing game and Todd Gurley. But they must also take care of the ball and force Jared Goff and company to sustain drives against a Vikings defense near the top of the league in denying 3rd down conversions and red zone TDs.

On the other side of the ball, the Vikings need a strong performance from the offensive line, going up against an attacking Rams front seven full of talent, particularly on the interior line. If the offensive line can hold it’s own, Keenum will have opportunities down field to connect with Thielen and Diggs to generate big plays.

A big game by Jerick McKinnon could also be instrumental in coming away with a Vikings win on Sunday. A quick look through the Rams defensive starters on PFF suggests that outside of the stout interior line, the Rams defense is not as strong against the run, particularly if Lamarcus Joyner is out, which could lead to some big runs if the Rams interior line can be avoided or contained.

It will be an interesting play-calling battle between Wade Phillips and Pat Shurmur as well.

Overall I like the Vikings on Sunday, as I wouldn’t be surprised if Goff and company have an off-game on the road against a defense that matches up well, and an offense that has been increasingly productive.

Making the Rams work on offense- and not giving up big plays and turnovers, should work to the Vikings advantage, while playing the Rams tough up front should yield some big plays down the field on occasion for the Vikings to come away with a win.
------------
Reffing: Rams at Vikings — Walt Anderson

I always like to know this since it seems like flags can be a major contributor to pace of game. Walt's crew throws more flags than the average crew and does not favor home teams.

We need to be turnover free and frustrate them.
---------
Case vs Goff is going to be fun.
Goff’s numbers vs Seattle look like what I expect 22/47 288YDS 0TD 2INT

Shutting Gurley down is part of what Vikings are built to do.
---------
giphy.gif

---------
keys to winning
The D will have to play better than last week. They need to stop the run, like you said. They need to BULL rush Sully a lot.

The O need to control the clock with long drives and runs. Keep their O off the field and not get in tune.

Waynes needs to have his best game. As already mentioned no turnovers by air or by running.
---------
Sullivan sounds like he’s beat up and facing Linval, who’s more than ready for this matchup it sounds, so it could be a tough game for Sully.

Waynes on Robert Woods will be key. Rhodes can shut down Watkins, and I think Newman/Alexander will do a good job on Kupp. But we’ll need to see Waynes continue to show his improvement on Woods, who is Goff’s favorite target downfield, to take away the Rams big plays on offense. Will also need Waynes’ good run defense too.

I don’t see as such a big factor compared to stopping the Rams big plays and not turning over the ball.
----------
The Rams are the #1 team in making Offensive big plays
The Vikings are #1 team in preventing Big plays by offenses. Something has to give this Sunday. Rams are a very good play action team. This is going to be a good barometer for both teams, on how good they are.
---------
I say blitz the daylights out of Goff.
Make him pull himself up off the turf after every single pass attempt.
----------
He's been very good against the blitz though
120.6 passer rating against the blitz – 2nd best in the league.
----------
Good thing our "blitz" is usually more like a 5 man rush and not typically all out like Houston did and got burned!
I think Goff relies heavily on McVay and hopefully Zimmer does his best to turn that against them.
---------
I think the Vikes D-line has a chance to really get to him quickly and just a single man on the blitz could really wreak havoc. The only good D they’ve beaten is Jacksonville. I think that tape would give Zim some pretty good ideas on what will work and what won’t. Seattle and Washington held them pretty much in check.

I will say that performance against the Jags D was pretty impressive but it’s hard for me to believe that’s the norm for them.

Either way I think this is going to be a brutal game.
---------
Coming away with the win will require:

1) Five man rushes. Our secondary is injured, and we can’t give Goff time to throw the deep ball.

2) Good LB play to limit Gurley’s runs.

3) Taking care of the ball.

Do that, we win.
-----------
Sendejo is getting banged up pretty often...
sounds like Harris is a bit banged up to, could finally see Kearse in there. Could be good since their main weapon was with Mac and Javon at Clemson. I thought we would see Kearse at some point this year but just didn’t think Sendejo would show his age so fast, just when he got hot too at stopping the pass!
----------
Reminds me of growing up almost half a century ago when the Los Angeles Rams came to down for the game of the year, regular season and post-season. Love their old uni’s. The NFL’s only two teams with horns on their heads clash. One game was supposed to be battle of two best defenses, and the final was, like, 45-41 Vikes in LA. Anticipation mounts!!!
-----------
bye bye Fischer hello good Rams

Hope my Vikings win Sunday, but I am glad that the Rams got rid of Fischer. That guy and the rest of his thugs should of been out of the NFL a long time ago.
----------
In 1973 the Los Angeles Rams were the best offense or at least one of the best going into a week 7 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, players like John Hadl and Lawrence McCuthreon and Harold Jackson were torching opponents with Big plays.

They went into Minnesota 6-0 to play the 6-0 Vikings the game was the battle of the unbeaten’s, the Viking defense was one of the best in the league and there offense was led by Fran Tarkenton with John Gilliam as his main weapon along with RB’S Chuck Foreman and Oscar Reed.

It was a Defensive battle as the Vikings held the potent Ram offense to 3 FG’S the Vikings scored the only TD, WINNING a 10 to 9 battle.

The Vikings went on to win due to shutting down the Ram offense, i believe this will happen again on Sunday

I read one of the best sbnation articles the other day on the DailyNorseman site. But this one is one of the worst LOL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's always fun to see how the box-score experts seem to know very little when asked to analyze the data. The Rams having the top scoring offense in the NFL despite being below average in converting red zone appearances to TDs is because we are NUMBER 1 in red zone appearances. Source:

When you consider that almost all of our red zone appearances end in TDs (just over 50% of the time) or FGs, it's not difficult to figure out why we're one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL. It's not turnovers or big plays. It's our ability to consistently get in the red zone. Remove your head from your ass, and you'll see that.

I think the problem may be related to our upcoming schedule. I think we can agree, at least statistically, that Jacksonville has presented the best defense we've seen as yet. Some believe Minnesota may be the next toughest defense we'll see up to now, and JAX held us to 1 redzone TD while our other 2 came from a kick return and a fumble recovery for TD. Goff was largely stymied in this game. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the problem may be related to our upcoming schedule. I think we can agree, at least statistically, that Jacksonville has presented the best defense we've seen as yet. Some believe Minnesota may be the next toughest defense we'll see up to now, and JAX held us to 1 redzone TD while our other 2 came from a kick return and a fumble recovery for TD. Goff was largely stymied in this game. jmo.

Minnesota is no doubt one of the toughest defenses we'll face. However, imo, Seattle was tougher. And we should have scored quite a bit on them if not for our own foolish errors.

One other thing works in our favor. Sean McVay's Redskins put up 26 points and 375 yards of offense on the Vikings last year. He's not unfamiliar with the Vikings, and he's shown that he can have success against that team. Nevertheless, I'm not assuming that we'll score a lot in this game. They're a very tough D. The good news is that I think we stymie Case Keenum. If we do that, we don't need to score a lot to win.

I'll also note that we played it safe vs. Jax. Their defense feasts on turnovers. After our special teams helped us to a sizable early lead, we played it safe with Goff and rode Gurley and the defense to the win. It made a ton of sense to do that because the Jaguars are not designed to come from behind, and Goff was coming off his worst game of the year against Seattle. I think a big part of our lack of offensive success that day was McVay choosing to grind it out with Gurley and force Jacksonville to win the game with their offense.

Have you seen The Waterboy? I'd compare it to the Louisiana Cougars deciding to kneel three times and punt to take Bobby Boucher out of the game because he was the one doing all of the damage. We decided not to risk turning the ball over and giving Jacksonville favorable field position (or worse, a defensive TD) when their offense didn't seem capable of making the comeback against our defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exactly, when you take red zone scores per game not the percentage you find the Rams are in a 3 way tie for 2nd.