What Vikings Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So the Rams havent beaten anybody and Keenum reminds vikings fans of Favre? If Keenums game were anywhere nears Favres level, well then the Rams schedule to date looks like they have played the defending world champions every other week.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Winning by 15 is easy. It's winning the games decided by 3 or less that matter.

But it is hard to find a team capable of putting up 30 points on our D to make it a close game. Because the Rams play to well on both sides they are somehow not as good as a team that sqeaks out wins against bad teams? The Rams O against the vikings D is going to be very entertaining for all, and the Rams D against vikings O will be entertaining for Rams fans.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'll give them credit. They beat the Saints and the Redskins.

And I get their confidence. We lost to the 'skins. The 'skins beat the Seahags which we also fell to. They just beat the 'skins. So they're feeling confident like they've already beaten us.

But one thing they keep overlooking. Just like the Saints they beat in week 1 aren't the same team, we're not the same team as we were in week 2. We're playing stronger football in all 3 phases of the game than we did against the Redskins.

This is a very winnable game for us. If our defense can make the plays they need to, I think our offense can put up points against this "stout defense" they claim we've never played anything close to.
The Rams are playing much better than they were in week 2, plus the skins were healthy in week 2 and a bunch of back ups vs the vikings.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Safety Andrew Sendejo teamed up with Joseph on the sack.
My sister-in-law's sister is Andrew Sendejo's step-mom. I hear he is a good guy. Too bad he has to lose Sunday. :)

Our brothers in the vaunted Purple will once again be celebrating victory with the drinking of the grog from the skulls of their vanished.
Uh....you mean the vanquished. Look, if your going to try to go all Iron Age on us, maybe try getting the terms right. :rolleyes: Vanished is what the Viqueen fans will be late in the fourth quarter, when our man Goff is going into Victory Formation.

Unfortunately for you, Aaron Donald is hungry, and I told him that Case Keenum has a snickers hidden somewhere on his person. - jrry32
Jerry. Once again with the awesome post on an enemy Site.

Woods doesn't scare me anymore than Watkins does, seems like a pretty even matchup.

I love how some fans talk about the players on the other team, as though they will be the ones strapping on the jock.

Really important game for playoff seeding. Something about this game seems like the classic blowout that crushes Vikings fans hopes and dreams, if only for a short time. Much like at home against the Seahawks in 2015. But this isn't an ordinary Vikings team, maybe they grab a win here.

He was doing so well for a while there, with his logic.

I wonder if he thinks the Earth is flat or that dinosaurs are only a few thousand years old too?

Earth is definitely round, but the whole "billions of years" thing is kind of embarrassing, in light of most honest research these days. Around four thousand on the dinosaurs. Around six thousand on the earth, actually. Check it out.

Kind of sad, actually, that we keep teaching kids lies. Big Flood makes sense, however incredible. Big Bang: embarrassing.

View: https://youtu.be/l1msS71xL00

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haha. Gold.

FA104D6C-9C1D-4013-82DB-8881ED2A1075.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
Earth is definitely round, but the whole "billions of years" thing is kind of embarrassing, in light of most honest research these days. Around four thousand on the dinosaurs. Around six thousand on the earth, actually. Check it out.

Kind of sad, actually, that we keep teaching kids lies. Big Flood makes sense, however incredible. Big Bang: embarrassing.

notsure-1.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did he just claim to know what the rams offense is and then say in the next sentence he hasn't watched a single game this season? And then state that if his claim based on no evidence is true that this is what they should do to stop this theoretical hypothesis? I wonder if he thinks the Earth is flat or that dinosaurs are only a few thousand years old too?

Give him some credit. At least he admitted it. Most of the fans of the teams we play spew total crap with the utmost confidence despite it being obvious that they haven't seen us play. :LOL:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Interesting breakdown by Bucky. I can't help but notice though when they show the Vikings pass rush and it's being effective it's against teams with lesser OLines than the Rams have. I know they're talented but I can't help but feel confident that their pass rush won't win the day outright our Big 5 will step up especially Whitworth vs Griffen. It's going to be a fun game to watch.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/...gs-los-angeles-rams-preview-week-11-nfl-picks

Vikings vs. Rams Preview: Stranger Things 2
Both the Vikings and Rams have flipped their expectations upside down with 7-2 starts. Which team will root their tentacles deeper into the playoff race?
by Eric J. Thompson

DOxPmzQUIAEs7xu.jpg

Eric J. Thompson (terrible Photoshop)

Fans of the Minnesota Vikings and Los Angeles Rams have spent most of the 2017 NFL season feeling a lot like Will Byers at the beginning of Stranger Things Season 2.

[NOTE: I promise there will be no major Stranger Things spoilers in this article. I still have four episodes left of Season 2 myself. So if you haven’t watched it yet, don’t worry.]

Like Will, we’re both one year removed from nightmarish ordeals that almost killed us. In Minnesota, we endured a catastrophic knee injury to the future face of our franchise. Then we witnessed the end of the former face of our franchise. Then we watched the offensive line disintegrate and torpedo a promising 5-0 start.

In LA, they suffered through a brutal rookie campaign from their number one overall pick, Jared Goff. After a rocky preseason deemed him not ready for prime time, he was finally thrust into action halfway through the season. The results were truly awful—Goff lost all seven of his starts while putting up historically bad numbers.

After starting the 2016 season 8-2 through the first five weeks, the Vikings and Rams finished with a combined record of 4-18. It was a terrible ordeal for both teams. However, the implosions meant they were mercifully able to exorcise their respective Demogorgons in the offseason; the Rams renounced Jeff Fisher and his staff while the Vikings ostracized most of their O-line.

So far, it appears that the teams have escaped The Upside Down in 2017. But just like Will Byers, we can’t shake that feeling that something isn’t quite right. We don’t know what it is exactly—it feels like some sort of alien force is slowly inhabiting our bodies.

Its roots are slowly spreading throughout the NFL landscape and laying waste to everything in its path. Is this the return of the existential dread both franchises have experienced for most of the past decade?

Or is the unfamiliar sensation simply, you know, both teams actually being really good for a change?

Through the first ten weeks of the season, it appears to be the latter. The Rams are the top team in defensive, special teams, and overall DVOA after finishing 30th overall last year. The Vikings have moved up from 20th to 5th overall. Both squads lead their divisions over teams that were heavily favored at the beginning of the season, in large part due to vastly improved offenses.

The offensive resurgence for both teams can largely be attributed to upgrades in the trenches. Los Angeles picked up veterans Andrew Whitworth and (old friend) John Sullivan. They have only two carryovers from last year on the line. They are now averaging almost a full yard more per carry as a team. Todd Gurley is picking up over 50 more yards from scrimmage per contest.

The Rams were dead last in percentage of drives that ended in scores (21.8%) last season. This year they’re first with 51.9%(!). They are fifth in rushing and sixth in passing after ranking 31st in both a year ago. The Rams already have six more touchdowns than they scored all of last season!

Meanwhile, Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers highlight a revamped Vikings offensive line that has only one returning starter and new players at every position. Despite being without Sam Bradford for all but six quarters and Dalvin Cook for all but three and a half games, the offense is still chugging along as a top-ten unit.

Of course, neither team would be excelling this much without solid output from the most important position on the field. Both quarterbacks are playing much better than expected. The transformation of Jared Goff from year 1 to year 2 cannot be overstated.

In 2016 he was dead last of all qualifying quarterbacks in adjusted net yards per attempt; this year he’s first, increasing his number from 2.82 to 8.28. Goff is doing a much better job at just about everything. What stands out the most on film is how well he is going through his progressions and finding the open receiver compared to last year.

Goff_to_Higbee_15_yards_Rams_Texans_Week_10_2017.gif

Goff also has better options to throw to this time around. Los Angeles jettisoned Kenny Britt, Lance Kendricks, and Brian Quick, who were three of the four highest targeted players in 2016. If you look at how those three are doing with their new teams, it appears the Rams made the right choice getting rid of them. Now Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, and Sammy Watkins are getting those targets. The offense is better for it.

It will be interesting to see where the Vikings choose to put Xavier Rhodes on Sunday. While Watkins has the pedigree, Woods has been the most productive receiver for the Rams this season. Woods leads the team in receiving by over 200 yards and has four touchdowns over the past two games.

No matter how the Vikings line up against the LA wide receivers, they’ll need to remain very aware of Todd Gurley in passing game. Gurley has evolved into a true all-purpose threat this season with 35 catches for 403 yards and 3 touchdowns. It will be a big test for Eric Kendricks, Anthony Barr, and the Vikings secondary to keep him contained when he isn’t doing his usual ground and pound.

Goff_to_Gurley_45_yards_Rams_Giants_Week_9_2017.gif

Unless the Rams lose six of their final seven games of the season, they will finish with a winning record for the first time since 2004, finally escaping the “7-9 bulls**t” that plagued the Jeff Fisher regime. After seeing the vast improvement in Sean McVay’s first season, especially on offense, it’s becoming pretty clear that Fisher might not have been the best at his job.

McVay hasn’t been afraid to shake things up to get rid of the Fisher stench that lingered over the franchise. The innovation he showed in Washington as Offensive Coordinator has definitely carried over to LA. He is also putting his best players out there regardless of status or salary. Despite signing a 4-year, $42 million extension with the team last year, Tavon Austin is averaging under 15 snaps per game this season.

On the occasions that Austin is actually out there, it’s almost a tell that the Rams aren’t going to pass to him. Los Angeles has run on two-thirds of Austin’s 130 snaps this year. The “wide receiver” has 36 carries and only seven receptions in 2017. Austin had 106 targets a year ago; he has twelve through the first nine games. McVay evaluated his team and realized that he had better pass catchers on his roster. An offense that relied so heavily on Austin didn’t work, so he made a change right away.

McVay is the youngest Head Coach in NFL history. He might be short on experience, but he certainly seems to be looking to the right places for help in that department. Hiring Wade Phillips, a man nearly 40 years his senior, to run the defense is proving to be a savvy move. (Especially when you compare him to their last Defensive Coordinator, Gregg “how am I still gainfully employed with my track record” Williams.)

Last week on the MMQB Podcast with Peter King, McVay freely admitted to borrowing plays from other teams that he liked on film. Being keenly aware of both your strengths and limitations as a coach appears to be a trait that McVay already shares with Mike Zimmer.

While Phillips is one of the best defensive minds in the history of the league, having Aaron Donald on his line makes the job a lot easier. Donald is as close as you can get to a real-life 99 overall rating in Madden. There are zero holes in his game. I love me some Linval Joseph, but Donald is probably the best interior defensive lineman in the game today.

Donald_strip_sacks_Savage_Rams_Texans_Week_10_2017.gif

And if you throw extra bodies at Donald, Michael Brockers is usually there right next to him cleaning things up. Nick Easton, Pat Elflein, and Joe Berger will have to play some of their best football of the season to keep the sack rate of Case Keenum as low as it has been.

While we’re on the subject of Keenum, I suppose I should get my weekly two cents in about our quarterback situation. My overall stance from the past couple of weeks remains unchanged: Keenum is playing well enough and the decision to keep starting him makes sense.

His pocket presence, propensity to avoid taking sacks, and ability to take care of the ball (for the most part) have been enough to keep the train rolling. He made some of his best passes of the season in Washington last week. Keenum’s performance was unassailable until the two late interceptions.

That said, I still maintain that Teddy Bridgewater could raise the offense to a new level, and we need to see how he’s able to perform sooner or later for myriad reasons. And I believe the coaching staff agrees with that sentiment on some level.

Why else would you wait until Wednesday to announce the starting quarterback when your current QB just won his fifth straight game and threw for over 300 yards and four touchdowns? The Keenum vs. Bridgewater debate at Vikings headquarters might not be as intense as it is on Vikings Twitter, but it certainly appears to be happening in some form.

At the end of the day, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is a cliché because it’s so often true. Keenum has completely earned the start against his former team. In Case we trust.

For now, that is.

If Keenum struggles out of the gate on Sunday, I’m sure the full-throated “TED-DY! TED-DY! TED-DY!” chants won’t take long to show up. I don’t think Keenum’s leash should be any shorter this week, even if he does have a couple early hiccups. Like I said in last week’s preview, Keenum has been named the starter. He should be under center unless the game goes haywire one way or another.

One way to help Keenum succeed against the likes of Donald will be to establish the run game and keep the Rams defense guessing. Los Angeles is allowing opponents to rush for 4.5 yards per carry and they have been gashed by their fair share of big plays out of the backfield.

If Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon can consistently get to the second level on runs and short passes, it should open things up for Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs over the top. Establishing the run will also set up play action, where Keenum has really excelled this year.

Keenum_to_Diggs_51_yards_Redskins_Week_10_2017.gif

Play action will likely be a big part of both offenses on Sunday. Keenum and Goff utilize play action more than just about everyone and are among the league’s best when using it.

Although nobody expected it when the schedule was first released, this is being rightfully billed as the game of the week. It’s an excellent matchup between two of the NFC’s best teams and could go a long way toward playoff seeding. Just like we all expected back in August!

The Rams don’t have a lot of glaring holes on either side of the ball. Even their kicking combo of Greg Zuerlein and Johnny Hekker is arguably the best in the league. While Goff and the Rams offense is leaps and bounds better than they were a year ago, they certainly aren’t perfect.

Los Angeles has been beating up on some pretty poor teams the past few weeks, and now they’re a little beat up themselves; it will be interesting to see how they execute against a more formidable opponent.

The US Bank Stadium crowd should be in a frenzy all day, and I think the atmosphere should spark a game-changing play from the Vikings defense to set up the crucial score. CASE KEENUM WILL GET HIS SWEET REVENGE!

And if I’m wrong, I’m more than prepared to feed the “Dart” that is my Vikings fan self-doubt as they head to Detroit for Thanksgiving.

(OK that was a tiny spoiler. Sorry.)

Prediction
Vikings 26, Rams 23
----------
The Vikings will win! McKinnon will have a big day and Theilen/Diggs will beat their #2 CB like a drum.

Love the Stanger Things picture at the top but Keenum is 7 not 11.
---------
Obviously by records, and playoff implications this game is huge. But in looking at the match ups I have a fear in my gut that the vikings may not win this one, which exposes them to a huge match up next week against the lions. That said, where do the rams match up well against the vikings to warrant said fear?

We have shut down elite level QB-WR teams all year long, Brees-Thomas, Ben-AB, Winston-Evans, Stafford-Taint, and Counsins and Co. We have shut down elite running backs in Bell, Ingram, and Howard. Beyond that, we have scored on good defenses. We scored 29 against the saints top 10 D, 24 against the Ravens, and 30+ against the browns and Washington.

On paper it seems to me that LAR is going to be overmatched by us in this game with its offense being completely stifled, and its defense only being able to stop us every other drive: but I still have a bad gut feeling about this game. Why?
----------
Of all the opponents we’ve played so far and have to play yet, the Rams are the best. I believe we can beat them because we’re quite good too, but a loss wouldn’t surprise me. Either way, I’m also very concerned about facing a tough division rival on the road, on a short week.
-----------
The New Look Rams

I’ve been watching some of the Rams games and some things that stands out to me is their defense misses tackles, and their run defense is only average. They dont have a Linval Joseph to clog up the middle. However, they are FAST.

I expect Shurmur to run/screen it down their throats with McKinnon and Murray even if it doesnt work at first. I’ve noticed in the Chicago and Redskins games that we stuck with the run even if the average wasn’t too threatening, just to open up the play action.

On Defense I expect us to really play it safe , zone, keep everything in front. Everson and Hunter will do that stand up dance with the tackle thing they do where they play it safe and react to the play before pursuing, because St Louis does a lot of mis direction, wrs motion and then reverse motion, fake hand off crap that works against teams that dont have Barr and Kendricks…

The Rams are fast, and their offense has great stats because they did outstanding in their games against weaker competition. However, against good defenses, they are neutralized if you can prevent the big play, I expect the Vikes D to do a lot of bend dont break. lets see if the Rams can sustain some 12 play drives…
----------
Since you been watching the Rams
You should know they’re no longer in St Louis and are in Los Angeles. Other that i think your spot on your analysis.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On paper it seems to me that LAR is going to be overmatched by us in this game with its offense being completely stifled, and its defense only being able to stop us every other drive:

Tell this guy to put down the crack pipe when he reads this paper he's citing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The New Look Rams

I’ve been watching some of the Rams games and some things that stands out to me is their defense misses tackles, and their run defense is only average. They dont have a Linval Joseph to clog up the middle. However, they are FAST.

I expect Shurmur to run/screen it down their throats with McKinnon and Murray even if it doesnt work at first. I’ve noticed in the Chicago and Redskins games that we stuck with the run even if the average wasn’t too threatening, just to open up the play action.

On Defense I expect us to really play it safe , zone, keep everything in front. Everson and Hunter will do that stand up dance with the tackle thing they do where they play it safe and react to the play before pursuing, because St Louis does a lot of mis direction, wrs motion and then reverse motion, fake hand off crap that works against teams that dont have Barr and Kendricks…

The Rams are fast, and their offense has great stats because they did outstanding in their games against weaker competition. However, against good defenses, they are neutralized if you can prevent the big play, I expect the Vikes D to do a lot of bend dont break. lets see if the Rams can sustain some 12 play drives…

Spoiler: We can.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tell this guy to put down the crack pipe when he reads this paper he's citing.

I think the more serious offense was including the BROWNS in his list of "good" defenses that the Vikings faced. Should tell you just how few good defenses they've actually faced.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/1...dy-if-needed-again-to-replace-andrew-sendejo/

Vikings safety Anthony Harris ‘ready’ if needed to replace Andrew Sendejo
By CHRIS TOMASSON

vikings-packers018.jpg

Minnesota Vikings free safety Anthony Harris (41) defends in the first half of a football game in Minneapolis, Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017
AP Photo/Jim Mone

If Vikings safety Andrew Sendejo can’t play Sunday, Anthony Harris might get his biggest test of the season.

Sendejo sat out his second straight practice Thursday with groin and hamstring injuries, putting him in jeopardy of sitting out against the Los Angeles Rams at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Sendejo was hurt in the fourth quarter of last Sunday’s 38-30 win at Washington and has missed two of the past four games. each time replaced by Harris. Sendejo sat out Oct. 15 against Green Bay with a groin issue and was suspended by the NFL from an Oct. 29 game against Cleveland in London because of an illegal hit.

In a 23-10 win over the Packers, the Vikings faced a struggling Brett Hundley after quarterback Aaron Rodgers was lost in the first quarter with a broken collarbone. In the 33-16 win over the Browns, they defended against rookie DeShone Kizer, one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL this season.

On Sunday, though, Minnesota will see the Rams’ Jared Goff, who has the NFL’s seventh-best passer rating. Harris vows to be ready.

“I feel pretty good,” he said. “It’s not new to me. It’s something that I’ve had to do before in the past, so it’s just continue to be prepared, continue to study, just be ready.”

A three-year veteran, Harris has seven career starts and has played in all nine games this season; but he’s played only one defensive snap outside of the two games he started.

When Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was asked how Harris did in his two starts, he only said, “I don’t know. Let’s let (analytics site) Pro Football Focus grade him.”

Harris was listed as limited in practice Thursday with a hamstring injury. He said that’s not a concern if he has to start. “We’ve got a lot of depth on this team, a lot of smart guys with a lot of ability who are able to step in, like when a guy like Sendejo goes down,” he said.

Also limited in practice were defensive end Everson Griffen (foot), tackle Mike Remmers (concussion) and offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles (knee). Griffen has vowed to return after after missing one game. Remmers also sat out at Washington, and Sirles has missed the past two games.

COMPANY MAN

Wide receiver Stefon Diggs has developed a good rapport with quarterback Case Keenum, but he isn’t about to get drawn into a debate about who should be the Vikings’ starter.

Keenum is 5-2 as a starter for the 7-2 Vikings, but Teddy Bridgewater is ready to play after being activated last week from the physically unable to perform list. Bridgewater hasn’t played since suffering a torn ACL in August 2016.

“Whoever they put back there, I got full, 100 percent faith in no matter who it is,” Diggs said.

Diggs likes how Keenum has been able to elude pressure and find receivers downfield.

“Case just makes it happen,” he said. “He finds a way, especially back there when he gets to running around a little bit, keeps his eyes downfield. He just creates some things, and as a receiver you just try to get open and stay open.”

Kenum completed 21 of 29 passes for 304 yards and a career-high four touchdowns at Washington, but did throw two interceptions. He will start Sunday.

BRIEFLY

Some, including safety Harrison Smith, have said Minnesota’s defense starts with nose tackle Linval Joseph, who often draws two players to block him. “I don’t know if it starts with him, but that position is really important to our defense because it allows (middle linebacker) Eric Kendricks to flow a little bit more,” Zimmer said. … Excluding a preseason game last season, Sunday marks the first time the Vikings have faced a Los Angeles-based Rams team since a 31-17 victory in L.A. in 1992.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/16/adam-thielen-minnesota-vikings

Adam Thielen Has Arrived—Just Don’t Tell Him That
By Tim Rohan

PATRICK MCDERMOTT/GETTY IMAGES

There are underdog stories, and then there’s the story of Adam Thielen’s road to the NFL. Thielen grew up in Detroit Lakes, Minn., rooting for the Vikings and playing wide receiver, the same position as his favorite Vikings, Randy Moss and Cris Carter.

He attended Minnesota State on a $500 football scholarship, borrowed money from his father to attend a regional combine, went undrafted in 2013 but earned an invite to Vikings camp, spent that season on the practice squad, and eventually worked his way onto the roster as a special teams ace.

In 2016, in his fourth year in the league, Thielen had a breakout season: 69 catches, 967 receiving yards and five touchdowns. This year his numbers are even better—through nine games he has 56 receptions and is third in the league in receiving yards, with 793, behind only Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins.

So, has Adam Thielen arrived? The MMQB explored that question in this week’s Talking Football:

Tim Rohan: You grew up in Minnesota as a Vikings fan. You’ve said you idolized Randy Moss and Cris Carter. Take me to your backyard—did you grow up trying to emulate those guys?

Thielen: Yeah, for sure. You can even throw Jake Reed in there. Those were the guys that really made me want to play receiver, made me want to play football. I’d be in the backyard wearing my Randy Moss jersey, my Cris Carter jersey, trying to make those catches those guys were making on Sundays.

Rohan: During your childhood, the Vikings gave their fans a lot of disappointment. The 1998 season, 2000, the Favre interception against the Saints. What do you remember about those moments?

Thielen: I definitely remember those moments. I remember those being really, really good teams and really fun to watch. Obviously, in this league, getting to the NFC Championship Game is very difficult. And in both [1998 and 2009] they had a pretty good opportunity of winning and going to the Super Bowl. It was definitely a bummer, especially with those teams being so dynamic and fun to watch.

Watching every game and being a big fan, it was kind of frustrating. But it’s kind of cool now, because I get to see the other side of things. I get to see how difficult it is to make it that far and how good a team you really have to have.

Rohan: You went to Mankato State, and the Vikings had their training camp in Mankato for years. Did you ever go watch them train?

Thielen: That was a cool thing for me. When we were out there doing seven-on-sevens and things like that, we’d be out there on the same fields the Vikings were practicing on. I got a firsthand look at what those guys were doing. After practice I’d go and watch what the receivers are doing for their drills, just focusing on what those guys were doing to be successful. Then I’d try to implement that into my game.

I’ve always been a very observant person, a visual person. That’s my way of learning. Things on paper, notes and things like that, don’t help me the same way as watching things live. I was just able to pick up on things visually.

Rohan: After college, you didn’t get invited to the combine. You had to go to a Regional combine, and then a Super Regional. You wrote in your story on The Players’ Tribune about how you had to pay your own way to those events. How did you scrape together that money?

Thielen: I started off with my loan money that I had for that semester. Then once I was invited to the Super Regional, I had to get a flight out to Dallas. Once I was there, everything was pretty much paid for. But with the flight—my dad was happy for me, and he was able to help me out with the flight.

Rohan: Before you tried out for the Vikings, someone got you an interview for a dental equipment sales internship, right? What do you remember about that interview? How close were you to doing that?

Thielen: I accepted the job, because at that time I didn’t know what was going to happen. At that time I hadn’t gone to the Super Regional yet. The draft hadn’t happened yet. I accepted the internship, and it was going to start after school was done. I was just kind of playing it out.

The one thing I do remember from that interview was one of the questions. You know, they ask a lot of different questions, random questions. One of them was, what would your dream job be? What would you do if you could have any job in the world? I said, play in the NFL. We both kind of laughed after I said it. It’s kind of funny, looking back at that.

Rohan: So then you go to the rookie tryout, get invited to training camp. And then you get cut and then placed on the practice squad. What was that moment like for you, knowing I don’t have to go sell dental equipment, I can be on the practice squad for at least one year?

Thielen: Well, it’s kind of weird. In the NFL, there’s never really that moment where you’re like, Hey, I made the team. Or: Hey, you made the practice squad. You just kind of show up the next day and go to work. Nobody really says anything. You just kind of go to work. Honestly, I was just so in the moment. I was just trying to make sure I stayed on the team.

In this league you just never know week to week. Somebody gets injured, something happens to you, and they have to cut you. I was just so focused on getting better and proving that I belonged every day. Because if you have a couple bad weeks in a row, you never know, you could be cut and never have an opportunity to get in the league again.

Rohan: You spent a year on the practice squad and then two more years as a backup, on special teams duty. In those three years, what were you doing to improve your game and prove you deserved more playing time?

Thielen: I was trying to compete every single day. Try to beat those starters every day in practice, when I was on the practice squad. Just prove that I belong, that I can play with the starters. That was a great opportunity for me to gain confidence from the coaching staff. Like, hey, this guy is consistently beating our starters, so why can’t he be a player in this league?

Every day I was able to learn what works in the NFL, what doesn’t work. Learn how to beat bigger, stronger corners, how to get off the press. And then the biggest thing for me was special teams. If I hadn’t been able to prove that I could play on special teams, there’s no way I would’ve been given an opportunity.

Rohan: You had nearly 1,000 yards last season, and it looks like you’ll eclipse that number this year. Have you had a moment yet where you said, Hey, I’ve arrived?

Thielen: No, there’s never been a moment like that for me. I’m still just trying to take it one week at a time, one day at a time. I mean, I think in this league, if you relax and say, Hey, I made it, I think you can get lost in the shuffle pretty easy, because there’s a lot of guys who can play at a high level, and there’s always someone coming for your job. There’s a new draft every year, a new free agent who wants to be a starter and come for your job. You’ve got to prove it every day.

Rohan: You got a new contract this offseason. Going from undrafted to having a multimillion dollar contract (four years, $19.2 million, $4 million guaranteed), what was that like? What did you splurge on?

Thielen: Honestly, my wife and I just kind of live the same lifestyle that we’ve always lived. We were able to buy a home and get that taken care of. And then, having a little man, we spent a lot of money on diapers and kid stuff.

Rohan: You played high school football in Minnesota, you played college football in Minnesota, you’re playing professionally in Minnesota. What’s that like? Do you get a lot of ticket requests on Sundays?

Thielen: I do get a lot of requests. Whether it be for jerseys, signing things, trying to get people tickets. But it’s all good. We’re very blessed and thankful.

Rohan: Looking back, was there any point along your journey here when someone told you that you should give up on football and do something else?

Thielen: Every step of my journey. I had a coach when I was getting recruited say maybe you should play basketball at a Division III level, because you’re not good enough to play football in college. Same with the NFL. When I said I was going to train for the NFL and try to make it, I had coaches say, hey maybe you should find a [real] job or try to play in the Arena League or something like that.

I’ve always had that, which is great for me. I love that. I love when people doubt me. I love when people don’t think that I’m good enough to play at a certain level, not good enough to be a starter, things like that. That’s the stuff that drives me. That’s the stuff that I think about constantly when I’m out there working at practice.