What Vikings Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30053

WEEK 11: LA Rams VS Minnesota Vikings Discussion

The reason I think the Rams are more of a threat than the Eagles, Todd Gurley. Vikings need to contain him (rushing and receiving) to stay in this game.

Looks like Griffen will be 100% for this game (heard it was his decision to sit out of the Redskins game). Gonna need him to disrupt the Rams screen game.

Big test for the defense. Big test for the OL. Should be a fun game to watch.
----------
Sendejo missing practice with a groin.

Remmers, Sirles, Griffen are back.
----------
http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=11
----------
Hmmm. . Anthony Harris limited with a hamstring. He's been Sendejo's understudy. Not good. Kearse would be a steeper downgrade.
----------
Concerning, especially with the vertical threat of the Rams.
-----------
Rams are definitely a tall order this year. Solid all-around team that scores a lot, doesn't give up many points, and can run and pass effectively on offense. The main chink in their armor, if they have a weakness, might be their run defense. Vikes have been effective running the ball this year, so that might be a way to keep the pace down a bit if the Rams come out hot.

If the Vikes want that beautiful new stadium to host as many postseason games as possible this year, this is a game they have to win.
-----------
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/4360-week-11-rams-7-2-at-vikings-7-2/?page=3

Week 11: Rams (7-2) at VIKINGS (7-2)

Ultimately, Shurmur has done a fine job with the offense and is managing to get a lot out of Keenum. We've given up very few sacks, most of them in the first half of the Bears game when Bradford should have been out. The prospect of Teddy in this offense is exciting, I want to see it sooner than later; even if it's not smooth at first.
-----------
Unfortunately for you, Aaron Donald is hungry, and I told him that Case Keenum has a snickers hidden somewhere on his person. - jrry32
----------
You act as if Linval Joseph didn't already sniff that Snickers bar out yet...geez! Haha
----------

View: https://twitter.com/eric_j_thompson/status/930487492494622721?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Feric_j_thompson%2Fstatus%2F930487492494622721

----------
But was every Viking successful in their battle with the ram to acquire said headgear?
---------
http://www.vikings.com/news/article...80f-53e7-4750-ac23-8d745b405827?sf172441348=1
-----------
Zimmer is displeased with those late game Ints last week. Keenum needs to get his TD/Int ratio up. Unfortunately even with Keenum's success, he's below a 2:1 ratio the past month. How much can he actually improve on that? Just seems to be who Keenum is.
----------
Definitely up to Case ultimately, but I think he has built up a sufficient amount of stock. The ints were bad, but still his overall stock (body of work) meant he is still this starter. I don't think Case "needs" to get his TD/Int ratio up.

If he is doing that good enough to win games or put us in position to win games (even if we lost) that could be sufficient enough to continue as the starter. Do we think Zimmer values a Case TD pass to Rudolph from the 5 yard line, more then Case getting us to the 5 yard line and him handing it off to Murray who runs it in for a TD? Likely not.
----------
Keenum: “That’s how I’m treating it, just another game. I know a lot of those guys, but for me, this week, it’s business as usual, and business as usual is me doing my job. My job, as I’ve told you guys many times, is to put this team in the best possible situation to win football games — that’s moving the ball, getting first downs, that’s getting the ball in the end zone and scoring points.

They’re creating a lot of turnovers, and obviously their front is one of the best in the league. I’ve been around it firsthand, so I know exactly how good those guys are.We’ve got our work cut out for us. I’m excited because it’s a huge challenge.”

Kyle Rudolph: "I think any time you play against a former team you’ll be motivated to play well. I think that’s kind of a given. Knowing Case, I think he’s more motivated to beat a team that’s 7-2 and get us to 8-2.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Keenum-Taking-Business-as-Usual-Approach-for-Rams/4c4f0a68-e2ec-4838-97f8-d4f58ba05663?sf172856535=1
-----------
I’d like to point out that against Washington, McVay said he was too conservative in that game which put the offense in bad situations throughout the game. Yes Seattle held the Rams to 10pts but the Rams move the ball up and down the field all day they just shot themselves in the foot a lot in the redzone. Gurley fumbled (which I thought was a bad call) into the endzone so that’s 7pts missed. Zeurlein missed his only FG of the season in that game so that’s 3pts missed.

Kupp dropped the GW td so that’s 7pts missed. So again the Rams scored 10pts against Seattle but 17pts the Rams should’ve had that would’ve had the Rams scoring 27pts and more than likely coming away with a victory. Lastly it was planned for the Rams to run a lot against the Jags. Goff only threw the ball 22 times. That was his fewest pass attempts all season long.

The key stat for Goff in that game was ZERO turnovers. Why? Because the Jags feast off takeaways and coming off a game where the intercepted Big Ben 5 times, it was more impressive Goff didn’t turn the ball over. So I’ll take the 124yds passing for no turnovers and coming away with a win.

As for this Vikings game, it’s gonna come down to the trenches. Both teams have playmakers at the skill positions on offense and defense. Rams Oline vs Vikings DLine. Rams DLine vs Vikings Oline. To me whoever wins those battles should win the game.
-----------
So does does Rhodes blanket Watkins or Woods? I’m guessing Woods, but i understand Watkins also
----------
I’d put him on Watkins and let the two be physical with each other.
---------
Only issue with that is that we aren’t shutting down their leader in targets.
----------
I don't think we need Rhodes to shadow anyone. I think we might be better off mixing up coverage, keep Goff guessing. Woods doesn't scare me anymore than Watkins does, seems like a pretty even matchup.
----------
I agree. Neither WR, in the grand scheme of things, really scare me. There's a reason that Buffalo was willing to get rid of both.
-----------
I don't agree with this line of thinking. A bad scheme can make actual players look much worse than they are and poor management can make poor decisions.

Should defenses have gone into 2007 saying "there's a reason Oakland let Randy Moss go, we don't need to shadow him"?
----------
I may have generalized a bit, but it's a little overboard to lump Woods and Watkins in with Moss.
wink.png

----------
I think Zimmer is smart enough to realize that Woods has been the better WR. Just like how we made the switch this year to shadowing Davante Adams instead of Jordy Nelson, I believe Xavier Rhodes will shadow Robert Woods instead of Sammy Watkins.
-----------
For the first time in three years, John Sullivan is a regular NFL starting center. After starting all 16 games with the Vikings in 2014, Sullivan missed the 2015 season because of a back injury and was released in August 2016. He played in 13 games last season for Washington, but started just one. Now with the Rams, Sullivan has started all nine games this season. Rams coach Sean McVay made him a priority to sign after working with Sullivan as Washington’s offensive coordinator.

McVay: “Probably one of the smartest players I’ve been around, if not the smartest, in terms of just his overall understanding. You feel like you’re communicating with a coach when you talk to him.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/15/vikings-everson-griffen-vows-to-return-andrew-sendejo-misses-practice/
-------------
Pre-snap Sullivan = Elite NFL center

Post- snap Sullivan = Average NFL center
-----------
Really important game for playoff seeding. Something about this game seems like the classic blowout that crushes Vikings fans hopes and dreams, if only for a short time. Much like at home against the Seahawks in 2015. But this isn't an ordinary Vikings team, maybe they grab a win here.
-----------
I wonder if the Rams will use Tavon Austin in the same manner that the Redskins used Chris Thompson against us.

Not that Thompson had such a big day, but more so the Rams looking to exploit a matchup.
-----------
The rams offense is highly predicated on gimmick or trick plays. I haven't watched any of their games this year, so I can't confirm 100%. But if true, it's going to be more about being in our positions, and not letting them force us to beat ourselves. We are going to have to play very smart against them, and at home, I fully expect us too.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Not game related just an interesting tweet I ran across.

View: https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/930973203517919232

How in the hell does the NFLPA not go apeshit over Tom Brady's salary?

12th in average salary, which would go into the mix for franchise tagging and salary structure.

If I was an NFL QB, I would be pissed that Brady's money is so low relative to other top QB's making the market rate lower.

Cheating Bastards!

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Vikings fans already declared that they are in the playoffs. They are just worried they might not get the 1st round bye.

I see a scenario where we beat the Vikings, which leads to their unresolved QB controversy, then Teddy starting but not looking like he did before. They could spiral and end up missing the playoffs. :D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are definitely a tall order this year. Solid all-around team that scores a lot, doesn't give up many points, and can run and pass effectively on offense. The main chink in their armor, if they have a weakness, might be their run defense.

Very insightful analysis of the Rams by a MINN fan. They've watched our games.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stoned Vikings fan said:
What if Keenum is a modern day Kurt Warner?

Just throwing it out there. What if Case Keenum has a rise similar to that of Kurt Warner in 99...
200.gif

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'm telling you, The Keenam pass I recall hangs in the air a LONG, LONG time. There's going to be some picks for sure.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
How in the hell does the NFLPA not go apeshit over Tom Brady's salary?

12th in average salary, which would go into the mix for franchise tagging and salary structure.

If I was an NFL QB, I would be ticked that Brady's money is so low relative to other top QB's making the market rate lower.

Cheating Bastards!
Brady current contract ends in 2019, at which point he would have made $221 million over his career. I think he's fine.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Brady current contract ends in 2019, at which point he would have made $221 million over his career. I think he's fine.

You missed the point...

Unions typically dispute contracts that are abnormally low for a quality player.

Not a poor Tom Brady post

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, the 23 - 20 loss in '69 was especially painful. I thought we were the better team but that was the game that was played in the brutal cold and the Rams were always being picked on as being a bunch of freakin' surfers dudes. Man I wanted to win just to blast that narrative. Still remember the punch to my gut when Jim Marshall picked off Roman.

After that crushing defeat Rams fans everywhere were saying lets get them at home and away from the frozen tundra that is Minnesota. So we FINALLY get a play off game with the frickin' Vikings in Los Angeles and they take the lead and a rain storm of Biblical proportions turned the field in a mud pit and we lost again.

I have bad memories also, Rmfnlt. In many ways much worse than even the Whiners in the Montana and Young years. Heck, we were lousy for the most part back then and deserved our losses.

But the Vikings games were different. We were thisclose to going to the Super Bowl but, alas, it was not to be.
This year we will prevail.....we MUST prevail and bury those ugly ghosts and memories that have been haunting the Rams faithful for years.

~ArkyRamsFan~

It's part of the reason it was SO DANG SWEET to beat the Vikes to go to the Super Bowl in 1999.

Well, beat isn't exactly the right word. Stomped would be closer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This guy is smart.

This guy is dumb. For example, we beat the Cowboys in Dallas, dumbass.

What he doesn't understand is that this team LOVES to play on fast surfaces. Our D is all about speed and don't get me started on our Offense.

We struggle at home because we play on a field that on Sundays is only marginally better than that shithole that is Washington.

Plus, even as much as I like Goff, what really makes him a stone-cold killer is that he LIKES going on the road and inserting the dagger in the opponents kitchen.

For all of his nonchalance, I think he quietly is one of the fiercest competitors we have on this team.

What people who look at us never seem to take into account is that we've installed TWO new systems, both offense and defense. The offense came along quicker, but the defense has also come on the last 4 games.

We've seen improvement so much so on defense, for example, that we've seen ZERO let down with Quinn out and imho, he was starting to really get this D.

Nothing will matter about either squad if the Vikes leave the rookie OG on Aaron Donald. And if they constantly double up on AD, you've got Brockers and our OLB corps set to feast.

I think this is a tough game, but I don't think there is a home field advantage. Not with the way McVay seems to be preparing us for road games.

If anything, I worry about tough games in the Coliseum. The rest of the way we should have a better field, but still...

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
It's part of the reason it was SO DANG SWEET to beat the Vikes to go to the Super Bowl in 1999.

Well, beat isn't exactly the right word. Stomped would be closer.

Mac, good point that was definitely sweet. Heh......many forget that we were actually LOSING at the half of that game. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned.What with it being the Vikings and with our history with them. Yeah, I was a bit anxious to say the least.
Well until Tony Horne took the second half kickoff to the house, then I felt some better!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Ram65

Legend
Click link below to read all the stats.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/...ence-and-research-week-11-los-angeles-edition

Great stuff!

Los Angeles’ offensive line isn’t quite as bad as Washington’s was in last week’s analysis, obviously, but they have still struggled. Surprisingly enough, they are one of the worst teams in the league at short yardage situations, going just 7 for 17 in short-yardage opportunities (2/3 against the Skins for 1 TD, 2/6 for a TD vs the 49ers, 2/2 vs the Cowboys, 0/1 vs the Seahawks, 0/2 vs the Jaguars, 1/1 vs the Cardinals, 0/2 vs the Giants). Los Angeles’ ground game is only mediocre according to DVOA, scoring a -8.4%.

Threw a short yardage pass last week IIRC. This has been a big problem I have mentioned at least a few times.

Their running backs are tenth-worst at getting stuffed at or behind the line of scrimmage and are below-average at getting yardage 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, backed up by the fact that their longest run on the season is 36 yards, tied for 38th in the league.

Don't like the negative yards. They run just good enough to keep defenses honest which sets up the play action pass.

This is one hell of an offense that Sean McVay has put together. They consistently get good field position from a mix of a good return game (which I will cover later) and a ballhawking defense that has set them up in good position for scores on numerous occasions throughout the season (also covered later). Just about their only weakness is that they aren’t a great red zone team at the moment, which is likely one of the reasons why they kick so many field goals.

If their offense was to take that next step where they increase the number of touchdowns they score inside the red zone, this offense would become one hell of a juggernaut. But, for now, they remain slightly limited in this area. The offense doesn’t turn the ball over that much, they are highly capable of chunk plays and they both have the ability to take it slow on drives and score in less than a minute if Goff sees a blown assignment.
Now on that cheery note, let’s see what Los Angeles brings to the table defensively.

Have to get a little better against the good teams.

With him now playing as a 3-4 defensive end, his explosive ability up the middle is really rather blunted and teams have been able to run the ball straight down LA’s throat when they’ve needed to. Even worse for the Rams, most 3-4 teams are usually good at preventing “open field” yards and they have been even worse than last season at stopping it.

Talking about Donald and yes teams are running the ball up the middle on the Rams. Makes me wonder if they should have waited a year to switch to 3-4. Who knew that the offense would improve so fast.

One of the flaws the Rams defense has is that they don’t force a whole lot of three-and-outs, so a team can get something going if they find the right rhythm against this defense. They are also just average inside the red zone; they are nearly top-ten in points allowed but are below-average in allowing red zone touchdowns. Basically any team that gets into the red zone against the Rams needs to make the drive count.

They do give up yardage. Hope they can still get the turnovers against good teams. Good article that covers the Rams defense as well as the offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rams offense is highly predicated on gimmick or trick plays. I haven't watched any of their games this year, so I can't confirm 100%. But if true, it's going to be more about being in our positions, and not letting them force us to beat ourselves. We are going to have to play very smart against them, and at home, I fully expect us too.

Haha. Gold.

Psycho_X

Legend
-----------

Did he just claim to know what the rams offense is and then say in the next sentence he hasn't watched a single game this season? And then state that if his claim based on no evidence is true that this is what they should do to stop this theoretical hypothesis? I wonder if he thinks the Earth is flat or that dinosaurs are only a few thousand years old too?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
How many games did Keenum help keep the Rams in last year, just to throw a pick or 2 in the 4th qtr? The only way the vikings win is a close game, but we have all witnessed what happened with our Rams last season and what they are playing like this season. The combination of Keenums 4th qtr picks and this years Rams tells me the Rams should win and I would be surprised if it was by less than 10.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did he just claim to know what the rams offense is and then say in the next sentence he hasn't watched a single game this season? And then state that if his claim based on no evidence is true that this is what they should do to stop this theoretical hypothesis? I wonder if he thinks the Earth is flat or that dinosaurs are only a few thousand years old too?