What The?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so I rolled into St Louis today and expected to see alot of people in rams gear. I'm the only person in rams gear, everyone else is in cardinals and Reds gear. Now I finally understand why you guys call it a baseball town.

Hell, the waiter at the brewhouse didn't even know who the rams are playing tomorrow. Hopefully game day will be better.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

so I rolled into St Louis today and expected to see alot of people in rams gear. I'm the only person in rams gear, everyone else is in cardinals and Reds gear. Now I finally understand why you guys call it a baseball town.

Hell, the waiter at the brewhouse didn't even know who the rams are playing tomorrow. Hopefully game day will be better.

That's probably because the Cardinals (who are fighting to hold the #1 seed by 2.5 games) ARE PLAYING THE REDS TODAY AT 6:15, and there's 8 games left before the playoffs. Also the Rams starting QB is out for the year, and they got thoroughly embarrassed at home week 1. They have also won 30 games since 2007. Close to an average of 4 wins per season in the past 7 years. Let's not even mention the endless amount of talk about the team moving and the lease situation.

Meanwhile the Cardinals, one of the most storied and renowned baseball franchises in the nation, since 2004 have been to the WS 4 times, won 2, and have been to the playoffs 7 times. Missing a total of 3 attempts in the past 10 years. They also have the 2nd most World Championships at 11 behind the Yankees.

Of

Fucking

Course

This

Is

A

Baseball

Town

It's also an amazing sports town, and if the Rams can ever put together a winning season they will be rewarded. Expect to see a lot of Dallas fans tomorrow, but if the Rams can compete you will have a blast regardless I guarantee it. It's supposed to be a beautiful day outside. Hopefully when can send you home with a win. Go RAMS!

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
That's probably because the Cardinals (who are fighting to hold the #1 seed by 2.5 games) ARE PLAYING THE REDS TODAY AT 6:15, and there's 8 games left before the playoffs. Also the Rams starting QB is out for the year, and they got thoroughly embarrassed at home week 1. They have also won 30 games since 2007. Close to an average of 4 wins per season in the past 7 years. Let's not even mention the endless amount of talk about the team moving and the lease situation.

Meanwhile the Cardinals, one of the most storied and renowned baseball franchises in the nation, since 2004 have been to the WS 4 times, won 2, and have been to the playoffs 7 times. Missing a total of 3 attempts in the past 10 years. They also have the 2nd most World Championships at 11 behind the Yankees.

Of

freaking

Course

This

Is

A

Baseball

Town

It's also an amazing sports town, and if the Rams can ever put together a winning season they will be rewarded. Expect to see a lot of Dallas fans tomorrow, but if the Rams can compete you will have a blast regardless I guarantee it. It's supposed to be a beautiful day outside. Hopefully when can send you home with a win. Go RAMS!

This^^^^^^^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Cards are in the thick of a pennant race, so you will see nothing but red downtown. As was stated before, if the Rams win consistently you will see more folks wearing the blue and gold. During the GSOT era, EVERYBODY was wearing blue and gold.

blueberry

UDFA
Name
Joey
You guys have one of the most successful baseball teams in MLB history. St Louis is definitely is a baseball town.

I've never understood the baseball town rubbish, Wigan in England is a perfect example of a one sports town, a rugby league hot bed, even when the soccer club reached the top flight it was still a rugby town where only 3% of fans held season tickets to both the rugby team and the soccer team, so the soccer team was the worst supported Premier League team for the duration of their stay in the league.

St Louis is a "support teams which give you something to support town".

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've never understood the baseball town rubbish, Wigan in England is a perfect example of a one sports town, a rugby league hot bed, even when the soccer club reached the top flight it was still a rugby town where only 3% of fans held season tickets to both the rugby team and the soccer team, so the soccer team was the worst supported Premier League team for the duration of their stay in the league.

St Louis is a "support teams which give you something to support town".

nope st. Louis is a baseball town plain and simple and there is no denying it

V3

Hall of Fame
Everything Username said but also add in the fact that many people aren't sure if the Rams will even be around in a few years. I know most people here feel they'll stay but the less ardent fans and/or less optimistic feel there's a good chance they'll be gone so why bother getting emotionally invested? Don't underestimate how much this LA issue hurts the passion for the franchise. It's been looming over this team for years along with the horrible product on the field. So yeah, you won't see too much Rams paraphernalia until you see a better product and a long term commitment to St. Louis.

cracengl

Rookie

Of

freaking

Course

This

Is

A

Baseball

Town

Wow. I love you man. #nohomo

So I imagined all those fans during the greatest show era? Damn I used to have an imaginary friend, but 10,000 or so :eek:, I don't know if I should be scared or impressed.

RamWoodie

Legend
Wow! Where's the OP been? Has he even a clue of the last 10 years of baseball? The Cardinals have been prominent in MLB...so WHY would he not understand?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So I imagined all those fans during the greatest show era? Damn I used to have an imaginary friend, but 10,000 or so :eek:, I don't know if I should be scared or impressed.

yes of course there were more Rams fans during that time but st. Louis has a multi decade, multigenerational history with their baseball team and they don't just love them they adore them

Athos

Legend

Not sure you have a very successful argument going there chief.

St. Louis is seeped in baseball lore, tradition, and winning. It was the Gateway to the West, and there was a time that the Cardinals were the furthest team west, and with the radio broadcasts, drew in an incredibly large fan base.

Stan the Man is the single most referred sports icon in St. Louis.

yes of course there were more Rams fans during that time but st. Louis has a multi decade, multigenerational history with their baseball team and they don't just love them they adore them

We have different definitions of baseball town then. I was reading baseball town as laid out in the OP as won't support the football team, you're reading it as ave a proud baseball tradition. I agree with you and me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nope it's a sports town they support the hell out of the hockey team too, and they supported the football Cardinals well beyond what they deserved ,not one home playoff game the entire time they were here.
Shaw and Zygmunt ruined this team Kroenke has done his best to fix it had some terrible "luck" and we're due for a run of better ,but in the end St. Loius is a sports town where the baseball team earns fan loyalty.
Another thing that keeps getting missed in the analysis of fans of the Cardinals,until expansion to Tampa and Miami ,until the Braves moved to Atlanta ,clear channel KMOX radio had the southeastern states to broadcast Cardinal games into without home teams to compete with.
There are generations of fans throughout Kentucky where the Louisville, Redbirds are a Cardinal farm team, Memphis Tenn has a Cardinal farm team, the Cardinals are a regional team that draws weekenders from throughout the Southeastern states .
The Cards had 81 home games this year not one game with less than 40,000 in attendance,3,200,000,ALL the Rams have to draw for the whole season 500,000,for the best sport in the world.
St. Luis and the surrounding area love football ,but they gotta get the product on the field back to where it was before Shaw let it implode

Not sure you have a very successful argument going there chief.

St. Louis is seeped in baseball lore, tradition, and winning. It was the Gateway to the West, and there was a time that the Cardinals were the furthest team west, and with the radio broadcasts, drew in an incredibly large fan base.

Stan the Man is the single most referred sports icon in St. Louis.

See my reply to Les, if you're saying St Louis has a proud baseball tradition and residents of the city are proud of that tradition and will support the team then sure I 100% agree, I just don't think that they wouldn't also support the football team if they put a product worth watching on the field. I'd liken it to the University of Florida constantly being referred to (prior to this bum we have in charge now at least) as a football school, then Billy Donovan comes along, builds a top basketball team year in year out, and look at that suddenly the basketball team is being supported.

ShaneFalco

anyone who calls St. Louis just a "baseball town". Never saw the dome or city in 98-02. Was stacked with people wearing Rams gear.

Who would have thought that winning matters?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
See my reply to Les, if you're saying St Louis has a proud baseball tradition and residents of the city are proud of that tradition and will support the team then sure I 100% agree, I just don't think that they wouldn't also support the football team if they put a product worth watching on the field. I'd liken it to the University of Florida constantly being referred to (prior to this bum we have in charge now at least) as a football school, then Billy Donovan comes along, builds a top basketball team year in year out, and look at that suddenly the basketball team is being supported.

STL absolutely will support a football team that is winning and putting a good product on the field......... that's why they love the Cardinals they've been doing that exact same thing for decades

and the Blues have a very rich tradition as well

Athos

Legend

Yes, St. Louis will support a good FB product. That's obvious.

Point I'm making, like someone else made, is that when playoff baseball happens in St. Louis or a tight pennant race, baseball will always take precedence over football and other sports. Just a fact of a rabidly passionate fanbase for BB.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
The craziest fans in St. Louis don't come out for another month.

This is a sports town. Saying it's a baseball town shows one's ignorance.