What Packers Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I certainly worry about Cobb. . .The guy is dynamic and he and Rodgers have a very good chemistry. Although I wonder how Cobb will feel if one of the Mc-brothers gets a blow on him. They don't hit nicely.

Rodgers is one of those Qb's that doesn't actually need great seperation. He is very comfortable just putting the ball where only his receiver can get it; if he catches it, it's a great play, if not they live another down. (Something I've liked from Foles)

And if he can do that, more power to him. But Tru and Janoris both have ball-skills. If the WR can't get separation against one of them and Rodgers doesn't throw the perfect ball, it could very easily go the other way.

That's why I think we need to take Cobb and the middle away and force Rodgers to beat us outside with James Jones and Ty Montgomery or Jeff Janis.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
And if he can do that, more power to him. But Tru and Janoris both have ball-skills. If the WR can't get separation against one of them and Rodgers doesn't throw the perfect ball, it could very easily go the other way.

That's why I think we need to take Cobb and the middle away and force Rodgers to beat us outside with James Jones and Ty Montgomery or Jeff Janis.

But at the same time forcing him to use those guys early in the read without his extra-curricular activities. We need to rush him similar to Wilson but understand that he can see over the line and read the defense far better. Stopping the run and getting home on Rodgers is going to be a big key. Best believe the Pack will have a great game plane, that will be open to adjustments, and Rodgers will continue to execute.

Gotta stop that run and stop Rodgers from extending plays.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I've been struck by the respect shown by pack fans actually. I like how they agree that whiners and carps fans are assholes. Faz and Husker have represented us well! Rock on guys!!!!

Have we had any visitors here on ROD from over there?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald kind of reminds me of John Randle, dangerous inside pass rusher and a game wrecker if you let him. But if you can run at him a lot he won't look so good. TJ Lang is generally regarded as an above average guard in spite of nagging injuries, if healthy he's a pro bowler and right now he's healthy. If I'm Clements right now I'm thinking that TJ Lang and Corey Linsley are much better run blockers than Aaron Donald is as a run defender, I'm going to run right at Aaron Donald early and often.

In fact I would be so confident in my matchups of Lang/Linsley on Donald and Sitton on Brockers that I would scheme around being able to send either Lang or Linsley straight into the second level on most run plays. I would count on the ability of my O-line to win their matchups mano a mano in the interior of the run game concern myself with beating the crap out of their LBs and safeties at the second level.

I would force them to play their DEs on the hip pockets of their DTs and force them to bring a safety up in the box which they do willingly partly because their safeties suck in coverage. Then with their pass rush slowed and their weak secondary even more exposed I would look to attack downfield and put some explosive plays on the books.

Well, this Packers fan clearly has no earthly idea what he's talking about. I dare you to run at Aaron Donald. He's currently 2nd in the NFL in tackles for loss behind only J.J. Watt who has played one more game.

So please, run right at Aaron Donald and watch him blow up those plays in the back-field.

And I have to laugh at him planning to use T.J. Lang against Donald. T.J. Lang is the OG that Michael Brockers embarrassed during his rookie year. I love Brockers but if Lang can't handle Brockers, he certainly can't handle Donald.

Weak secondary? Pure ignorance of this team.

ExpatPack

UDFA
I hope they do. You have to hit Rodgers. Just can't have our guys jumping offsides.

Blitzing Rodgers is usually a bad idea. That's not to say you should never do it, but were I the Rams I'd rely mostly on my front-4 and try to surprise the Packers with the occasional blitz. You have to take away Rodgers' receivers. He has a tendency to hold onto the ball and wait for someone to get open, scrambling around to buy himself time. That's when he can get sacked. (Of course, he can also scramble for good yards too. That's why he's such a bit** to defense. )If you blitz, he's too good at finding the open man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blitzing Rodgers is usually a bad idea. That's not to say you should never do it, but were I the Rams I'd rely mostly on my front-4 and try to surprise the Packers with the occasional blitz. You have to take away Rodgers' receivers. He has a tendency to hold onto the ball and wait for someone to get open, scrambling around to buy himself time. That's when he can get sacked. (Of course, he can also scramble for good yards too. That's why he's such a bit** to defense. )If you blitz, he's too good at finding the open man.

We run zone blitzes. Not man. Rodgers likes going deep. I know some knowledgeable Packers fans were disappointed during the SF game because he was passing on some open short passes to look down the field. That's what our zone blitzes guard against. They force you to throw underneath. You can't wait on the routes to develop down the field.

I have little doubt Rodgers is capable of throwing underneath to open WRs...but blitz or not, there's going to be open WRs underneath. The thing is that with the blitzing, if he gets greedy, he's going to get hit. And that's why it's worth it.

Honestly, I'm not worried about James Jones or Ty Montgomery or Jeff Janis. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson can handle the WRs you guys lineup outside. Rodgers may make a perfect throw and complete the pass but I'd take my chances. I'm worried about Cobb. And that's why I'd blitz and flood the middle with defenders. Make Rodgers attack our outside CBs. He's a hell of a QB but that's where our greatest advantage will lie...in rushing the passer and forcing him to throw outside the numbers to James Jones and whoever is getting snaps as the other outside of Cobb.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
A win all chocked up? Someone's been to drama class.

Not to mention that the correct definition is "chalked." As in drawn up with chalk. This is what chocked means.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people replace the word "choked" with "chocked." "Chalked" is another one that vexes me, but not nearly as much as when people say that athletes are "chockers."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The last time we played them they carved us up with Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. Jordy wont be there and Cobb may not see much time either.
Are you referring to regular season, or our pre-season match-up against them!?

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Not to mention that the correct definition is "chalked." As in drawn up with chalk. This is what chocked means.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people replace the word "choked" with "chocked." "Chalked" is another one that vexes me, but not nearly as much as when people say that athletes are "chockers."
That's bad, but nowhere near as bad as 'dominate'.
When people say: "the Rams D-line is dominate"
No. It's DOMINANT, you mean dominant... Jeez

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Perhaps they just have an accent.;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are you referring to regular season, or our pre-season match-up against them!?

regular season IIRC

How about I chocked my tires. How is that spelled?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...s-packers?_ga=1.11015155.613416476.1424531272

Rams vs. Packers Q&A: St. Louis' defensive line cannot be stopped conventionally
By Jason B. Hirschhorn@by_JBH

usa-today-8800346.0.jpg

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Joe McAtee of SB Nation's St. Louis Rams blog Turf Show Times answers our questions about St. Louis' superb defensive line, Todd Gurley's ascension and what he expects from Rams vs. Packers.

On Sunday, the Green Bay Packers offense faces perhaps its biggest challenge with the St. Louis Rams. Joe McAtee of Turf Show Times was kind enough to answer some of our questions about the Rams and provide insight into their strengths and weaknesses.

APC: The Rams now have a quarter of a season with Nick Foles as the starting quarterback. How has Foles fit in with the offense?

He's performed above what should have been expected of him, I'd say. The Rams don't run a system that's all that demanding on the QB, so he's not being pushed all that hard. Perhaps what I'm most surprised by, and appreciative of, is the lack of interceptions. Foles has just one, and even that came in the desperation of the final minutes in a loss against Pittsburgh. That's certainly more forgivable than the first three quarters when he has to manage risk, especially since the Rams' offense isn't well-stocked.

Foles doesn't have to be great for the Rams to succeed. The team is built on the back of the defense and the hopes that the running game will open things up for the pass. So to this point in terms of return on investment, he's certainly been more than adequate.

APC: Todd Gurley had his first big game last weekend, rushing 19 times for 146 yards. Does this mean that St. Louis' medical staff has given full clearance to use Gurley as much as necessary, or do some usage limitations remain?

I don't think the usage limitations apply any more, but the narrative around Gurley took off way too fast after last week. Most people who didn't watch the game are unaware that his big runs all came in the 4th quarter. This is Gurley's rushing production by quarter since his debut in Week 3:

Q1 v PIT: 0 rushes/0 yards

Q2 v PIT: 3/2

Q3 v PIT: 1/4

Q4 v PIT: 2/3

Q1 @ ARI: 1/-3

Q2 @ ARI: 3/5

Q3 @ ARI: 6/38

Q4 @ ARI: 9/106

So it's not that Gurley didn't have a big performance in Phoenix. He did. But the overwhelming bulk came at the end of the game, inarguably when it mattered most. Still, I think the Rams wouldn't be opposed to getting more out of him in the first halves of games moving forward.

APC: After two quiet years, Tavon Austin finally appears to be a significant part of the Rams offense. Is that just because the team finally replaced Brian Schottenheimer, or has Austin improved this season?

Well, part of it is new OC Frank Cignetti and a new scheme set for the offense that benefits both Tavon Austin and Todd Gurley. Again though much like Gurley, I'd point to Austin's four games as a whole not just last week:

Week 1, v. SEA: 2 receptions/-2 yards/0TDs, 4 rushes/17 yards/1 TD

Week 2, @ WAS: 1/6/0, 4/40/0

Week 3, v. PIT: 5/38/0, 0/0/0

Week 4, @ ARI: 6/96/2, 2/20/0

He did also have a punt return for a TD in week one, but nonetheless you've got the pair of games in Weeks 2 and 3 that aren't indicative of a breakout. Credit the Rams for trying. He's second in targets and tops among the wideouts. I'm just hesitant to push any more chips in on the back of one really good game.

APC: Can St. Louis' defensive line be stopped, and if so how?

Well, the bottom line is no. They're just too good, too deep and too well-supported by Def. Coordinator Gregg Williams' blitz packages. Seven of the Rams' 17 sacks come from defender who aren't on the line, so it forces offensive lines to deal with a lot of angles and confusion when the Rams put three people next to the linemen and threaten blitzes from all of them.

Of course the thing I often point out is, you don't have to stop the Rams' defensive line if you just negate it. The Rams, obviously, do a great job of getting to the QB...if there's time. Offenses that run quick throw sets from three- or five-step drops that take what the Rams' defense is designed to give you (the short middle of the field) have had success. Well, moderate success. A different kind of success. The Rams are giving up the second-highest pass completion percentage in the NFL at 75.7%. But they've also only given up three passing touchdowns and have created six turnovers.

The Pittsburgh game was the perfect example of what the Rams' defense is designed to do: allow you to dink and dunk the middle of the field if you're disciplined to routinely take advantage of it and then punish you physically. If you decide to risk going elsewhere, either on the sidelines or deep, the results overwhelmingly favor the Rams.

The Steelers opened the game taking the middle and putting together a field goal and a touchdown in their first two drives. They got away from that and only scored 3 more points in their following eight drives. Of course, it also helps when the run defense is clicking as it was that day against Le'Veon Bell.

So while I'd suggest, bias and all, that you can't really stop the Rams' D-line, I also readily admit the wiser teams won't get drawn into that battle.

APC: Finally, it's prediction time. Which team wins on Sunday and why?

I have to go with the Packers only since I'm still hesitant to place much faith in the Rams' offense. They don't have a full stable of weapons to attack opposing defenses at multiple points. I went with a 17-10 score in our staff prediction piece, but I'll just say I'd love to be picking the wrong team to win on Sunday.

We'd like to thank Joe and Turf Show Times for answering our questions. Be sure to check out our Q&A session over there, as well as their fantastic coverage of all things Rams. As always, keep your internet machines tuned to Acme Packing Company this Sunday for our comprehensive game-day coverage of Rams vs. Packers.

Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I've been struck by the respect shown by pack fans actually. I like how they agree that whiners and carps fans are assholes. Faz and Husker have represented us well! Rock on guys!!!!

Have we had any visitors here on ROD from over there?
Don't forget @LACHAMP46

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Packers fans seem to be pretty confident they'll win. But at least they don't seem to be doing it in an arrogant way like the hags and deadbirds did. I don't blame them for being confident. I'd be too if I was a Packers fan. They're clearly a top team in the league. The Rams are still trying to break through.

But the Rams are a dangerous opponent for anyone. Doesn't matter who they're playing. You can't pencil in a loss with this team. Problem is, you can't pencil in a win either. Guess thats why they're at .500.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
But the Rams are a dangerous opponent for anyone. Doesn't matter who they're playing. You can't pencil in a loss with this team.

See, this is why I get annoyed when fans denigrate Jeff Fisher. Think back on the Linehan and Spags eras. Would anyone have thought of the Rams as a dangerous opponent back then? Not likely.
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28163-Peripatetic-Rams-Week

Peripatetic Rams Week

Peripatetic Adj: Aristotelian

Often used to mean itinerant, wandering, meandering, or walking about. Aristotle was prone to walking about while teaching, thus the term.

This word from pb's word of the day calendar was brought to you by the letter W and the number 5.
----------
What defense do the Rams run? If they use two Safeties deep we need to have over 150 on the ground to win.
-------
They run a multiple scheme defense. Personnel is 4-3, but Williams concocts blitzes from everywhere, from over load to zone blitz.

Hard to say what they will try to do. As tempting as it is to blitz an O line that had a bad performance (Sitton had 2 holding calls), I think they try to rush with their very good front 4.
-------
If they can get pressure with their front 4 we need our D to REALLY step up!
-------
Our tackles have struggled all season but I hope yesterday's performance by our interior linemen was just a bad day and not a sign of things to come.
icon_sad.gif

-------
But we have this great offensive line, and it's coached by Campen. How could they possibly be playing poorly.
-------
They're best Tackle is out with an injury. The other Tackle is trying to play through an injury. And sometimes good offensive lines have a bad day.
-------
Yet, a week ago Barclay mostly shutout the guy who had 22 sacks in 2014.
Sure, Rodgers sometimes covers up their failures, but a QB who likes to move around as much as Rodgers does to extend plays can make it difficult for tackles too, because they aren't sure where he is.

I think we are fortunate to have Barclay as a backup, he isn't supposed to start. No one will confuse him for a pro bowl player, but I bet there are at least a couple teams that could be improved by having Barclay as one of their starters.

Bakhtiari is no Chad Clifton, and his holding calls are getting tiresome; but they have had worse than him out there too.
-------
Its hard to be scared of anything when the game is in Lambeau but the Rams are pretty much built to be spoilers. They have a way of dragging good teams down to their level and letting bad teams hang around so everything is a close game.

I wouldn't want to play them on the road. It'd be a bit like having another Denver on the schedule.
-------
Outside of Chicago to open it feels like every game is against a tough defense. This oline has been tested and has done fairly well. I do think that the rams have the leagues best d line.
-------
I'm afraid the Rams D-line will dominate the Packers O-line, especially if the Pack's line plays like they did against the Niners. It will also be a challenge for the D-line to stop Gurley, and should show just how good the run D is.
-------
Being at home always helps the O line. I was mist surprised by Sitton's two holds. He never gets penalized.
-------
We lose #12 and we are basically screwed.
-------
If the defense doesn't take the day off the Packers should win by 10.
-------
If this game were in St Louis it could look a lot like last season's Buffalo game. Thankfully, it's not. But, it will probably be a grind regardless. StL might pull it off. Just gotta get out of this one with no new injuries.
-------
I watched the Rams/Steelers until Big Ben got hurt. Bad news is, Rams should have won that game IMO. They had a lot of dropped passes and dropped interceptions. I didn't notice anything special about either of the special teams.

Rams front four is definitely great. They get pressure with four that other teams get with blitzing a LB or two. In the second half, the Rams came out blitzing and got to Ben big time. On the play he was hurt, the Rams rushed five.

On the other side of the ball, Foles threw mainly short. They like to get the ball to Austin in space; Britt too. Austin is a player. Tough to tackle, quick and fast too. No need for the Pack to go blitz happy IMO. Just keep steady pressure on Foles in the pocked. The guy has a quick release though and can get the ball downfield. On one of the few times he tried it, Kendricks dropped the ball.

Both teams played a lot of New England Billy Ball. Big Ben connected deeper a couple of times on slants (this is where we'll miss Jordy big time), but mostly Ben was throwing quick over the middle on quick pitches to Bell and the TE. Rams LB's are very active and cover a lot of ground...good tacklers too.

The Pack better tackle. All the Rams RB's are tough to bring down. Tre Mason is quick and runs hard. Last week Gurley had a breakout game, though he was held in check by the Steelers. Cunningham is a slasher. They ran Cunningham and Austin out of the backfield a couple times.

Rams front four just didn't give Big Ben time to throw downfield. The time he did it was an easy pick. They're pretty tough to run against too.

If it were up to me, I'd give them a heavy dose of Lacy to start. I don't know if Arod will be able to buy time in this one by running outside the pocket. Jones and Cobb should be open underneath for quick throws. I would bet Monty has a break out game. It just seems like his game is suited to Rams defense. And DickRod might be key, especially in the red zone.

Oh yeah, and watch for special teams trick plays. Fisher's not shy about running them. Against the Steelers, they had a guy wide open on a fake punt, but it was poorly thrown.
-------
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h1 hour ago
#Packers got encouraging news with Bryan Bulaga practicing on limited basis today, but Davante Adams and Morgan Burnett did not participate.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
Wide receivers Randall Cobb (shoulder) and James Jones (hamstring) were limited participants in practice today.

JONES HAD A HAMMY LAST WEEK TOO

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
Clay Matthews shows up on the #Packers injury report. He was full participation with a quad. Bulaga limited. Adams, Burnett, DNP

Bryan Bulaga (knee) and Demetri Goodson (hamstring) were also limited participants.

#Packers injury report:

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13
WR Davante Adams, DNP, S Morgan Burnett, DNP, LB Jake Ryan, DNP

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 30m30 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers - NFL's most aggressive QB on 3rd down w/1-9 yards to go, but surprisingly conservative on 3rd-and-10+http://es.pn/1jO1ueY

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4h4 hours ago
Besides Bulaga, CB Demetri Goodson returned also. WR Davante Adams, S Morgan Burnett and LB Jake Ryan still out.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4h4 hours ago
Bulaga had a brace on his left knee under his sweatpants. No brace on the right knee.
--------
Per the JSO's McGinn assessment of the Rams, and this thread, the Rams are a scary team to have to play. I thought the KC game was going to be the tough one, but maybe it's this one.

My scrotum shrivels with every word I read.
--------
You need this thread:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...or-other)-here
--------
I am hopeful it will be on, but I also think this will be a very tough game. Man, that offensive line better be better protecting Aaron Rodgers this week.

My guess is that Adams and Burnett will be out again, and probably next week as well. Bulaga could be in if his knee hasn't swollen up too much and if he's knocked enough rust off.

Jake Ryan will be missed on ST again.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Click the link below to watch video.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...man-predict-the-biggest-upsets-for-nfl-week-5

Are the Green Bay Packers on upset alert? Are any teams ripe for an upset that fans were not expecting?

Find out in the above video as Adam Lefkoe and Bleacher Report NFL analysts Mike Freeman and Chris Simms shed some light on their picks.

Good, bad or indifferent in their comments about the Rams, I have trouble getting all giddy knowing I'm going to be enlightened by Chris Simms...