What makes the Rams better?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams have a shot, in round 2, at getting a good receiver or an equally good corner, which do you think makes the biggest impact on the team?

I am leaning receiver, if they can actually get a good one like Kupp. But corners usually have an instant impact. Receivers don't. Just say both could play like Jordy Nelson and Aqib Talib. Which do you pick?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm hoping we have a FA or two to target at WR. If so, it would take some of the pressure off the draft at that position... because BPA is always the safest draft strategy.

And... at CB... it depends on if Tru is there, for the same reason as above.

WR feels among the strongest needs to me, along with perhaps the OL. Solid CB's are a little easier to find later in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a free agent CB can be found in free agency but it would be hard to pass one up in a draft that is so loaded with the good corners.

That being said, I think it is more rare to find a top receiver, but also tougher to discern who that would be.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wr is tough. Rarely do they have great rookie years. However, if one could, I would seriously consider it over CB.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Fix the offense.

The D can take a step back if our offense can take 10 steps forward.

I'd rather not have Goff's development slowed because we decided to switch to a 3-4 and spent top picks to make the transition as fast as possible.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BPA in a position of need but if all players are equal and in a position of need I go with the best OLine especially if he can play LT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I'd rather have OL if we choose between three equals.(assuming we don't address the OL entirely in FA)

Of those two positions, I'd say either one works. It really depends on who comes off the board in Round 1. There's a little less depth at WR, though.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We got to start thinking like a winning team by coming up with a board and sticking to it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We got to start thinking like a winning team by coming up with a board and sticking to it.

Yeah but all things being equal, what makes a bigger impact with the make up of the team as it stands now. I guess I could ask what is the better unit? Tavon, Britt, Quick, Cooper, Thomas...or... Tru, Gaines, Joyner.

I think a slight edge goes to the dbs and seeing what a guy like Jordy Nelson means to Green Bay, or Julio means to Atlanta, I am hoping they come away with a top WR somehow.

I am a BPA guy in round one and sometimes round two, but in the early middle rounds (3-4 and often times even 2) need becomes a stronger indicator. Players of similar talent level are in larger groups, allowing for need to be the deciding factor. Return to BPA after round 5.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You've got to score TDs to win games, I'm going for a WR - if both WR and CB skill sets and potential are equal.

Then again JJ did score a few TDs in his time here ;)

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
CB, or OL. We just need to get some things ironed out, no point in going for a WR immediately . We can't really disregard who we currently have. WRs need a good OL to open up potential space. QB needs to rely on that OL. So I am shooting for an OL, CB, and maybe a WR in that order.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah but all things being equal, what makes a bigger impact with the make up of the team as it stands now. I guess I could ask what is the better unit? Tavon, Britt, Quick, Cooper, Thomas...or... Tru, Gaines, Joyner.

I think a slight edge goes to the dbs and seeing what a guy like Jordy Nelson means to Green Bay, or Julio means to Atlanta, I am hoping they come away with a top WR somehow.

I am a BPA guy in round one and sometimes round two, but in the early middle rounds (3-4 and often times even 2) need becomes a stronger indicator. Players of similar talent level are in larger groups, allowing for need to be the deciding factor. Return to BPA after round 5.

I think it's as simple as putting a sequentially ordered board together and sticking to it because it gets rid of the "if all things were equal" argument.

Also, I think we get cute on draft day and go off script. And that's when we get ourselves into trouble.

BPA is an art. And it separates winning football from... our recent history.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the Rams have a shot, in round 2, at getting a good receiver or an equally good corner, which do you think makes the biggest impact on the team?

I am leaning receiver, if they can actually get a good one like Kupp. But corners usually have an instant impact. Receivers don't. Just say both could play like Jordy Nelson and Aqib Talib. Which do you pick?
I would go with the "BPA" and I'm not concerned that much with "Need" because our needs are many!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
BPA....should probably be a corner...or a lineman.

I'd also look at a nice ILB.....

I don't think wr's are that valuable...corners are different. So are LT's....and I'm thinking Centers too.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
OL, Pass Rushers, CBs, early and often. Patriots show you can have low and mid round guys at the skill positions. As long as they are on the same page with a good QB, you can do damage, provided you have an OL to give the proper amount of time for plays to develop.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They gotta use FA so they can go BPA at that round 2 pick, where the difference maker might be a DE, CB, WR, TE, who knows.

So get at least 1 OL and 1 WR as the two big signings. Then fill in some affordable types, just a couple, to help take the edge off the holes in the roster.

Then go effin KILL the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL, Pass Rushers, CBs, early and often. Patriots show you can have low and mid round guys at the skill positions. As long as they are on the same page with a good QB, you can do damage, provided you have an OL to give the proper amount of time for plays to develop.

This is a trap a lot of people fall into regarding players. The Patriots have a very specific scheme and are great at identifying what players fit in that scheme. Think of it as like Moneyball. The Patriots found a market inefficiency at WR that works because of the scheme they run.

The point I'm making here is that we don't run the same scheme. You can't point to the Patriots and say, "Do what they're doing." What makes them so good at what they do is understanding their scheme, how to prioritize positions within that scheme, and how to find players that fit the scheme but might not be ideal fits in others.

McVay's scheme is very different. It's possible in his scheme that you need better WRs but can get away with worse OLs.(that's a hypothetical, not me saying that's true) What the Rams need to do is find their own market inefficiencies. What players fit our scheme but are undervalued by the rest of the NFL?

One of the many mistakes that the Fisher-led Rams made was our inability to create an offensive identity. That led to us just picking talented players rather than identifying guys who fit our scheme. Ultimately, it left us with an offense of mismatched parts. We had a bunch of guys who all fit different schemes because we failed to create an offensive identity.

In that vein, looking to the Patriots can help us. It can tell us to create an offensive identity and stick to it. But we can't do what the Patriots do because we won't have the same offensive identity. From my understanding of McVay's scheme, it's much more aggressive vertically and less challenging mentally for WRs. That's very much the opposite of what the Patriots do.

Limey

Rookie
If it's less challenging mentally, maybe we should offer Quick a cheap 1 year deal with a team option for more? Not the FA WR most are hoping for, but it always sounded like he was a slow learner, so maybe this is the scheme that brings the best out of him?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My two cents has us getting our WR thru free agency. We already have a boatload full of young developmental WR's on the roster and practice squad, let's get a proven vet, a real #1 to lead these guys. We've gone long enough since Holt & Bruce retired, it's way past time to acquire a playmaker who is ready today, not some distant hopeful. Without Britt and Quick, we have 8 players listed to compete and only Austin could truly be called a veteran.

This is such a deep draft for CB's, I probably visit this position twice in the draft and once in free agency if Tru is going down the road.

Even considering the above, if we haven't found our LT in free agency or thru a pre-draft trade, this is where I use our top pick in the 2'nd round. I'm not expecting some GRob epiphany at LT, even with improved coaching, certainly not within the time span of camp. Relying on Robinson at LT again is making trouble from the get-go for our new coaching staff and especially the young QB Goff we are trying to get up to speed. Move GR inside and be done with it.

Obviously, BPA is still a deciding factor, but considering player grades are similar, this is how I look at it today. jmo.