What is your quintessential 80's song?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
@Ramlock I have to revisit Robert Plant's solo career. I am a big Zepplin fan but didn't listen to Plant solo much at all.

I loved Zeppelin but never got to see them live and was disappointed when they disbanded after Bonham's death.

Saw Plant though, in Memphis. September 16, 1983. Had to look it up.

Played his 80's stuff and some of the Honeydrippers songs before that album came out. No Zep at all.

Trivia - Phil Collins played drums on that tour!

Principle of Moments tour - In the Mood opened the show and Big Log was at the end.

Great performer

Saw Plant again in 1995 when he toured with Jimmy Page - AWESOMENESS!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since I'm hunkering down waiting on this hurricane... I'll post some of my 80's crap.

I mostly listened to reggae even back in those days... but the Police were, and are, one of my favorite groups. I had all of their stuff. Here's a few I haven't seen posted.

The first time I ever heard The Police was on the way to school in the back of my friends Mustang. The song was 'Canary in a Coalmine' I was instantly hooked.

I can remember riding the bus to an away High School basketball game... our team traveled in style yo (NOT). Old ass yellow school bus. The whole team would use our time on the ride to talk as much crap to each other as possible... pre cellphone and internet btw. We sang this stupid song to one of our love sick teammates. You had to be there... it's one of those stupid memories that you'll never forget.

That doesn't even sound like a real voice.

I'm always taken by music associating someway/somehow with past and present girlfriends. I had some girlfriends with names like Michele, Roxanne & Amy, so songs by the Beatles, Police & Pure Prairie League would always resonate. And after break-ups, how Journey & Foreigner songs would rip me up. At least with girls named Nancy, Debbie, Helen & Jeannie, not much chance being reminded of another failure.

My wife's name is Amy and my three kids and I sing 'Amy' to her I when I play it in the car. I always associated music with feelings so when a relationship ended, especially the bad endings, I couldn't listen to the music I associated it with. It took years until I would listen to Johnny Cash, Eric Burden and the Animals, Lucinda Williams, etc.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The first time I ever heard The Police was on the way to school in the back of my friends Mustang. The song was 'Canary in a Coalmine' I was instantly hooked.

That doesn't even sound like a real voice.

My wife's name is Amy and my three kids and I sing 'Amy' to her I when I play it in the car. I always associated music with feelings so when a relationship ended, especially the bad endings, I couldn't listen to the music I associated it with. It took years until I would listen to Johnny Cash, Eric Burden and the Animals, Lucinda Williams, etc.

Toots has a great version. Of Canary In A Coal Mine.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Way too many songs from the 80's to pick one, two, or even ten.

Here's a couple that I listened to all the time. Still do...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ohh it has to be an Adam & the Ants track...

Either: Stand and Deliver

or Kings of the Wild Frontier

I still love it, the double drummers, such an awesome beat. Unfortunately I still base a lot of my wardrobe on Adam Ant - I'm often in one of my pirate jacket and far too much jewellery, but hey I'm old enough to not give a sh*t...

Adam Ant was one of the first guys to make me realise that you didn't have to be 'normal' or conform - there was no turning back then...

Close runners up were Tenpole Tudor with Swords of a Thousand Men

and Transvison Vamp with Baby I Don't Care

I was a 15 year old boy when Transmission Vamp hit the charts with that - what a video!!!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Ohh it has to be an Adam & the Ants track...

Either: Stand and Deliver

or Kings of the Wild Frontier

I still love it, the double drummers, such an awesome beat. Unfortunately I still base a lot of my wardrobe on Adam Ant - I'm often in one of my pirate jacket and far too much jewellery, but hey I'm old enough to not give a sh*t...

Adam Ant was one of the first guys to make me realise that you didn't have to be 'normal' or conform - there was no turning back then...

Close runners up were Tenpole Tudor with Swords of a Thousand Men

and Transvison Vamp with Baby I Don't Care

I was a 15 year old boy when Transmission Vamp hit the charts with that - what a video!!!

Would not be 80's without AA

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My new wave 80's song:

*have danced drunk to this song more times than I care to remember

My hair band 80's song:

My favorite bad song I love from the 80's:

*don't know why people don't like it honestly :(

My Favorite 80's song(and one of my all time favorite bands):

*Was actually recorded in the late 70's but wasn't released till the early 80's due to band members leaving and re-recordings to change the style of many songs.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I Loved The 80's

I Miss The 80's

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jack and Diane is on par with Muskrat Love.

Let me ween you off:

I listened to some AC/DC too. I never owned Brian Adams but it played on the radio constantly, so it sticks in my mind. Ditto for JCM. It must be a small conservative town thing, but punk was not embraced in my area. It was rock, hard rock and whatever you call bands like air supply and Journey, or Madonna...mainstream music maybe?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I listened to some AC/DC too. I never owned Brian Adams but it played on the radio constantly, so it sticks in my mind. Ditto for JCM. It must be a small conservative town thing, but punk was not embraced in my area. It was rock, hard rock and whatever you call bands like air supply and Journey, or Madonna...mainstream music maybe?

Dude, same. Back in the days you either heard it on the radio or someone owned it.

My brother owned Journey and I owned Ted Nugent / Zepplin. The perfect hate/love relationship.

The lights go down on the city... Stranglehold baby!

To be honest, I consider the 80's the desert of music, I'll take any generation I've been alive over it, and a few I wasn't. With the exception of M Jackson, some rock, and some punk. No disrespect to anyone, but this is mostly MTV generated soulless music. Give me Ray Charles, Queen, Led Zepplin, Ozzy or even some top pop music today. Soul. Meaning. Feeling and music.

My wife is an 80's girl. It's not the only reason I hate her, but it doesn't help. ;) (Just kidding honey)

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
This was recorded in a single session, back when you had to be musicians:

My father's university professor bitch gave this album to me and tried her ass off to seduce me.

Yeah, she was fucked up, but we weren't, pops kicked her ass out after I told him.

Still, I love that bitch for giving me the best album ever. Thanks Teddie for not knowing my taste but picking this out based on its album cover. Perfect! (y) I heard your pussy was tired and it was my father's domain, but your gift was cool as fuck! (seriously, no dice, I was fucking way hotter girls and she just pissed me off)

ROD is the only people I ever said this to. I'm hoping you will be men. But I know you may not. I don't care. Time to keep it real.

Last edited: