What is the problem with the Oline?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
For those of you that are brave enough to go back and watch these games again (I just can't bring myself to do it) What is going on with the Oline? I thought these guys were supposed to be run blocking beast and I don't see any holes being opened up. Its hard to key in on them when your watching the game live I was hoping someone here could tell me who is playing good and who isn't. It really has blown my mind how inept this team is at running the ball. Before the season started I had no doubts in my mind that Gurley and Mason would be running wild with these big boys up front blocking for them but my god it has been awful.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The talent is there so I believe it has to fall on the coaches. If players don't execute, thats the coaches fault. If it is the players, why does it seem that nobody seems to get held accountable for they're poor play on this team? It seems other things will get you into the doghouse, but as long as the coaches like you, your job is safe.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's 100% impossible to answer that question unless we see what the playbook is, how the practices are going, and are able to isolate individual players in live action based on what their assignments are at the time (see: playbook). If I had to venture a guess, I would say it's because this line is not operating as one unit yet. And that's due to inexperience and lack of chemistry so far. So the best answer is gonna be 33.3% of the problem is scheme, 33,3% is execution and 33,3% is on coaching.

Give or take.

How's that for a non-answer?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We don't have the personnel to be a zone blocking team. Our guys just aren't athletic and good on the move. Too many times I've seen our guys whiff on defenders getting to the second level. They just aren't good in space and for some reason the coaches thought this was a good idea. Our guys fit the power blocking scheme that consists of big maulers. Block a man and beat that man, and our guys can do that.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I also have to wonder if some of it isn't a cascade affect. With the low amount of experience on this line if the guy next to you messes up do they handle it properly or screw up their own assignment?

V3

Hall of Fame
If players don't execute, thats the coaches fault.
It could be the players and/or the coaches at fault. It's hard to tell many times. I honestly don't know which one it is on this team. It's a lot easier to get new coaches than a whole new team, though, which is why firings happen so much.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We don't have the personnel to be a zone blocking team. Our guys just aren't athletic and good on the move. Too many times I've seen our guys whiff on defenders getting to the second level. They just aren't good in space and for some reason the coaches thought this was a good idea. Our guys fit the power blocking scheme that consists of big maulers. Block a man and beat that man, and our guys can do that.
Pardon my stupidity, but what is the difference between zone blocking and regular blocking? :oops:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You gotta hope the guys we drafted are the right ones. GRob, Brown, Havenstein, Barnes/Rhaney. Are they good enough? If so it might take time. They have to gel and develop both individually and as a unit. After that its scheme - and coaching.

fancents86

Starter
I saw rothlesburger go down quite a few times, Foles went down once I believe in the pocket? Let's give our brand new offensive line a little break. They're doing better than I thought they would.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Continuity!! The growing pains for the O-Line have been seen coming since OTA's. You don't just throw a bunch of players together no matter how good they are and expect great results overnight. Given the fact that the line's make-up wasn't solidified until after the last preseason game, something I put squarely on the coaches, the early struggles are nothing to be surprised at. As painful as it is right now, this unit needs time to play together. There have been flashes of good things to come and as the weeks progress we'll see more of those. I'm optimistic that by the half way point of the season we'll see substantial improvement. Question for now is, will it be too late to matter?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, as I see it... Greg Robinson is not playing well, and the rookies are inexperienced and seem to get beaten a lot by stunts. How about we move Saffold to tackle (left or right) , insert Reynolds at guard, and bench Havenstein. It has been YEARS since we had a decent offense, and I am tired of watching it, reading about it, hearing excuses, and nothing ever changes.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I thought going into the preseason that Boudreau/Cignetti were going to start sprinkling some ZBS into the playbook, but still primarily be a power man blocking scheme. Did they sprinkle more than intended, like when I make scallops that are saltier than Poseidon's butthole? Or did they decide "Fuck it, ZBS is the way to be," and forget to mention that when they drafted power-man players with questionable footwork?

Psycho_X

Legend
Pardon my stupidity, but what is the difference between zone blocking and regular blocking? :oops:

This is a simplistic explanation but basically zone blocking requires less changes before and after the snap in that when the line puts their hands in the dirt they already know who they'll be blocking based on whether they are covered or not covered up by the defense and based on which way the RB is going... inside or outside tackles. It requires more athletic and less pure strength guys on the oline cause they do a lot of movement down the line and usually double up on the location the RB is going and then one pulling off to help up field while utilizing cut blocks on the backside. It requires fast footed o-lineman more than pure strength

Non-zone requires the o-line to more man up and beat the guy they are determined to go against based on what the defense is doing before and after the snap. In theory, a lot more things an o-lineman has to be aware of and usually the lineman is required to take their guy out themselves with little help by purely blowing them off the line of scrimmage a certain direction.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I don't think there's anything wrong with the line. There are typically 8 in the box because Foles hasn't proven that he can make the throws or our receivers haven't proven that they can get open. The line is doing well considering the lack of experience we have. Cignetti has to use a lot more imagination to make the defense respect the edges - screen passes and sweeps seem to be his go to along with the play action pass.
IMO he should focus on the three to four yard routes - like the Steelers did to us. Dink and dunk your way down the field instead of pressing the edges and running into a brick wall 90% of the time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I also have to wonder if some of it isn't a cascade affect. With the low amount of experience on this line if the guy next to you messes up do they handle it properly or screw up their own assignment?
As a certain coach, who I refuse to use his name here, Likes to say " Do your Job! unspoken word is WELL!"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Greg Robinson is not playing well, and the rookies are inexperienced and seem to get beaten a lot by stunts.
I completely agree with you, this^ far! as to the rest, I frankly don't know! We'll see after this coming week-end!

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
I saw rothlesburger go down quite a few times, Foles went down once I believe in the pocket? Let's give our brand new offensive line a little break. They're doing better than I thought they would.
In that facet they have improved some, I agree.
But when you have a QB that needs help 2.6 yards a carry is not going to cut it. The run game has been pathetic.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's who we need on the O-line to roadgrade and open some holes...:sneaky:
Click link below to watch video.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/25/meet-the-worlds-biggest-football-player/

Meet The World’s Biggest Football Player

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A local high school senior has been recognized as possibly the world’s largest football player.

Standing at 7-feet tall and weighing over 400 pounds, John Krahn, also known as “Junior,” is taller than any player in the NFL.

Krahn plays for Martin Luther King High School in Riverside, and was in action Friday night as his team took on the Rancho Santa Margarita Eagles.

Krahn said of his team, “We got that work hard mentality. Put your hat on and let’s go work. We gotta do what we gotta do.”