What I'm Thinking...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MSchmidt

UDFA
Name
MwdSchmidt
Ok-Now that I'm done with all my anger management classes, depression-filled sadness of the last two days….I've got to move on. I have to stop gut-chugging the Bradford-Koolaid. Instead, I'll be sipping until Next Year. But Here's a plan I'd be happy with:

*Restructure Bradford's contract next year - induced with incentives but making much less salary
*Draft a 1st Round QB if the value is there, hell, even if it isn't. (I'm down for trading picks for this too)
*Open up competition for the QBs. And I mean open. One day with ones, next day with twos (like they did with the centers)

So, Bradford's not reliable, we can still have a respectable season. I do like the fact however, that all of our young rock-star talents get one more year of development when/if he comes back next year. The absolute one thing I hate more than anything else is when we give up on a player, only for them to be above-average starters somewhere else and end up having a good career! Irritates the sh!t out of me. We just seriously need to mitigate the qb risk with him and open the competition. May the best man win. Would love to win a Superbowl in SF with Bradford. Talk about redemption! Ok, let's buckle up for this season folks. Should be entertaining.

(where's my sippy cup) Schmidt

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
@MSchmidt , are you from Philly?

schmidy.jpg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What irritates me is when fans think they can just say "oh he should restructure his contract." Sure it sounds good, and I used to be one of those. But my thinking has changed.

First things first, restructure doesn't mean pay cut. It means his salary remains the same just paid out differently over the same period of time to help with cap issues. Speaking of which...

You need something TO restructure i.e., years. Sam only has 1 year left on his rookie deal. How are you gonna restructure a 1 year contract? Unless he had signed an extension that was no where reported, it ain't happening.

Finally, both sides need to agree. That in itself is a major hurdle. Even though Sam would be willing, his agent may feel differently.

So yeah, unless the Rams outright release him (doubtful) or trade him (also doubtful), he'll be back next season for a "final trial."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ok-Now that I'm done with all my anger management classes, depression-filled sadness of the last two days….I've got to move on. I have to stop gut-chugging the Bradford-Koolaid. Instead, I'll be sipping until Next Year. But Here's a plan I'd be happy with:

*Restructure Bradford's contract next year - induced with incentives but making much less salary
*Draft a 1st Round QB if the value is there, hell, even if it isn't. (I'm down for trading picks for this too)
*Open up competition for the QBs. And I mean open. One day with ones, next day with twos (like they did with the centers)

So, Bradford's not reliable, we can still have a respectable season. I do like the fact however, that all of our young rock-star talents get one more year of development when/if he comes back next year. The absolute one thing I hate more than anything else is when we give up on a player, only for them to be above-average starters somewhere else and end up having a good career! Irritates the sh!t out of me. We just seriously need to mitigate the qb risk with him and open the competition. May the best man win. Would love to win a Superbowl in SF with Bradford. Talk about redemption! Ok, let's buckle up for this season folks. Should be entertaining.

(where's my sippy cup) Schmidt
I'm with you, on all points. Welcome to the forum.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
What irritates m Fe is when fans think they can just say "oh he should restructure his contract." Sure it sounds good, and I used to be one of those. But my thinking has changed.

First things first, restructure doesn't mean pay cut. It means his salary remains the same just paid out differently over the same period of time to help with cap issues. Speaking of which...

You need something TO restructure i.e., years. Sam only has 1 year left on his rookie deal. How are you gonna restructure a 1 year contract? Unless he had signed an extension that was no where reported, it ain't happening.

Finally, both sides need to agree. That in itself is a major hurdle. Even though Sam would be willing, his agent may feel differently.

So yeah, unless the Rams outright release him (doubtful) or trade him (also doubtful), he'll be back next season for a "final trial."

Right, he needs to be released and resigned to like a 3-4 mil contract. If not we have to sell the farm for Mariota. Bad thing is, we still need a few upgrades at other positions.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Any agent worth hiring isn't going to let a client walk away from a huge existing contract for one that's got a low base salary with major performance incentives.

The best business decision for the team is to release him.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Any agent worth hiring isn't going to let a client walk away from a huge existing contract for one that's got a low base salary with major performance incentives.

The best business decision for the team is to release him.
It happens all the time. A team notifies the agent they are going to let a player go unless he takes a pay cut of blah blah dollars. And then the player and agent can take what the team offers or is let go. And it all depends on what kind of deals the player/agent feel they can get from someone else. But..... would that player uproot his family for a non guarenteed contract? Or would they take the deal offered.
But no....it's not always the best deal for the team (to release the player....). Then again.... sometimes is.

Irish

Starter
I'm more in the Andy Dalton school of draft a good QB and surround him with a team than the RGIII school of freak the team for the right QB.

Exactly. You don't need a number one overall pick, you just need a serviceable above average game manager who is not made of glass. If he has an accurate deep ball that is a plus, but I am really not picky

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Here's the problem with an open competition, Bradford will look hands down better then anything we bring in. It's all about judging if he's healthy.

MSchmidt

UDFA
Name
MwdSchmidt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@junkman-
Here in StL my friend, although I've been called Mike many times in my life, it's not my first name.

I appreciate all the real football talk here fellas and everyone's responses. Lots of good points. Best site I've been on. Not a lot of sh!t disturbers. Just real football talk about my favorite team.

AZRamsFan93

It happens all the time. A team notifies the agent they are going to let a player go unless he takes a pay cut of blah blah dollars. And then the player and agent can take what the team offers or is let go. And it all depends on what kind of deals the player/agent feel they can get from someone else. But..... would that player uproot his family for a non guarenteed contract? Or would they take the deal offered.
But no....it's not always the best deal for the team (to release the player....). Then again.... sometimes is.
Right now the Rams owe Sam $7.19M. That is all that is remaining on the guaranteed part of his contract.

No way anyone (including the Rams) offer any guaranteed $$$ to Bradford until after he proves he is healthy. They are not a benevolent society.

AZRamsFan93

Here's the problem with an open competition, Bradford will look hands down better then anything we bring in. It's all about judging if he's healthy.
Odds are he will barely be able to jog by next training camp, so I think your assertion about how good he will look may be wishful thinking.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Right now the Rams owe Sam $7.19M. That is all that is remaining on the guaranteed part of his contract.

No way anyone (including the Rams) offer any guaranteed $$$ to Bradford until after he proves he is healthy. They are not a benevolent society.

I think you used my example and tried to make it something it wasn't. I was showing some of the other factors that a choice between what is offered and what could be, works out. At this point no one knows what the Rams are going to do. I was simply pointing out, teams have players take pay cuts all of the time, which the person I was referring to stated an agent would never allow his client to do...........

Now for the fun part......it doesn't matter what I think, you think or the guy on page 306 thinks.........The decision on Bradford will be made by the Front Office and Coaching staff and will not include our personal thoughts.....one way or another. We're just J.A.F.O.'s. Enjoy it....we have a whole offseason to get through before they......they make the call.

ViperLjs

Rookie
Exactly. You don't need a number one overall pick, you just need a serviceable above average game manager who is not made of glass. If he has an accurate deep ball that is a plus, but I am really not picky
QB's are arguably the most important position in all of pro sports. There's a reason why Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, and whatever team Manning is on are in the playoffs every single year. We definitely shouldn't settle for a game manager.

reggae

Right, he needs to be released and resigned to like a 3-4 mil contract. If not we have to sell the farm for Mariota. Bad thing is, we still need a few upgrades at other positions.
Doesn't matter. You are still on the hook for his full salary this year plus his 2015 signing bonus. And Condon doesn't like losing money.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Doesn't matter. You are still on the hook for his full salary this year plus his 2015 signing bonus. And Condon doesn't like losing money.

You save about 10 million this year and 13 million next year. With that you can invest in some line depth, and maybe a top center after Mr. Wells is ready to retire. We also have Quinn to sign, and with the money that we save from Bradford, we wouldn't have to cut people to make room for his contract.